Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rebochan posted:

My first shipped game had a completely different protagonist from the one we showed when we first demonstrated the project at E3... except my game wasn't remotely famous or anything so nobody really noticed XD The game we shipped had a storyline banged out in the final six months of a six *year* dev cycle.

Wait a minute, this wouldn't happen to be Devil's Third, would it? Because if it is I absolutely want to know more about what happened during the development of that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FoldableHuman posted:

I am authentically excited for Detroit if only because David Cage makes exactly my brand of pretentious garbage. I know that no matter what, even if it's crap (which it is very likely to be) it will at least be the deeply baffling decisions of a clumsy auteur.

I will also defend Heavy Rain for having some legitimately good writing in the Ethan thread, even if the package, as a whole, doesn't live up to that promise. Heavy Rain is a game that shows its structural weaknesses the more you pull at it, and gamers, being uncomfortable with anything that isn't GOTY or WORST GAME EVER, use this to dismiss in entirety a game that is flawed but interesting. Also, because gamers have been inculcated with a level of tribalism that prevents them from imagining why someone else might legitimately enjoy something they don't, it's become fashionable to mock anyone who did enjoy Heavy Rain, despite the fact that the game made an authentically strong first impression, and, indeed, is at its peak if you play it once and never go back (as a game reviewer on assignment is likely to do).

I am an unashamed Heavy Rain fan but I still acknowledge it has lots of problems. Even still, I agree with what you said about Ethan and first impressions. The best storytelling in the game is the prologue and after the opening credits. Seeing Ethan all happy and fulfilled, living his sunny life with his family. Living the dream, basically. Then Jason dies and we cut to the present where we see the sorry state Ethan has been reduced to, standing against the rain-filled and dismal backdrop we will see for the rest of the game.

I thought that was all very effective.

Shelby was my favorite however, even though I had it spoiled. My own fault for reading too much about the game. Internet people have actually been pretty cool about keeping the Origami Killer identity a secret. Say what you want about Cage's storytelling, all the climaxes have proper build-up. For the entire game, Shelby has been the most rear end-kicking of the four protagonists. Jayden meanwhile is just getting better at tanking punches and Madison is of course a runner because she's a 90-pound reporter. All these things are reflected in these various ending fights. Although my favorite ending is having Lauren kill Scott. I liked Scott's story because he's a lovely person but not all lovely people are 100% poo poo and doing your best to keep Lauren alive, or saving the corrupt businessman trying to protect his son, is interesting in retrospect.

I loved Heavy Rain's music, too. And this

All-in-all, while Beyond let me down, I am looking forward to Detroit. It helps I'm from Detroit.

Sorry, I just found this thread. If you do end up making a review of Cage's games, I will be watching!

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 15, 2017

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

ApeHawk posted:

Horizon and New Vegas had the same lead writers.

Oh poo poo, are they on the same quality level? I love New Vegas but never played Horizon because AAA open world game.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

JordanKai posted:

Wait a minute, this wouldn't happen to be Devil's Third, would it? Because if it is I absolutely want to know more about what happened during the development of that game.

No, it actually wasn't that one, though I suspect there's some fascinating stories behind that one. Actually, I always suspect there's some insane stories in Japanese game dev that we never hear about, either due to them have a less leaky culture or they're just less likely to post them in English.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

What was the game if you're allowed to share?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

watho posted:

Oh poo poo, are they on the same quality level? I love New Vegas but never played Horizon because AAA open world game.

dude horizon is really loving good

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

watho posted:

Considering it's an open world game for a new IP, it's astounding. Even the optional text documents you can find (particularly the Vantage points) are really good. The way the story unfolds as you explore the world is organic and beautifully set up. Oh, and the gameplay is really fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

watho posted:

Isn't New Vegas technically a AAA open-world game?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

Not quite in the usual sense. It resembles Obsidian's old-school topdown RPGs a lot more, and it restricts you progression in the world a fair amount in order to work better with the narrative. These days when people think of AAA Open World the comparison they're mostly making is to games like Assassin's Creed and GTA, games that follow those formulas or something similar. It's a genre that's gotten pretty stagnant and repetitive so a lot of gamers have gotten burnt out and are skeptical of new ones that show signs of being formulaic.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

That phrase usually refers specifically to open-world games that take their mechanics from third-person action games (e.g. Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Grand Theft Auto) while games like New Vegas are more often considered Open World RPGs. Both types of games have the same goal, create an illusion of total freedom by allowing you to tackle minor objectives any order with multiple strategies, but mechanically pull from wildly different origins.

Also on a completely different subject from your actual question, I don't mentally file Obsidian as a AAA developer. There really needs to be some sort of middle-designation for developers who are too big and well-established to be considered Indie Developers but don't make games with the same scale and budget as Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, or GTA.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

New Butt Order posted:

Also on a completely different subject from your actual question, I don't mentally file Obsidian as a AAA developer. There really needs to be some sort of middle-designation for developers who are too big and well-established to be considered Indie Developers but don't make games with the same scale and budget as Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, or GTA.

That's ridiculous. They're absolutely a AAA developer, their games have had big budgets, big teams, and are marketed in big mainstream ways. While they don't have the biggest budget, the biggest team, the biggest marketing spend out of all developers, they're definitely within the AAA realm.

What else would you call them? Indie? Does "AAA" now only mean "Gives an E3 press conference?"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WampaLord posted:

That's ridiculous. They're absolutely a AAA developer, their games have had big budgets, big teams, and are marketed in big mainstream ways. While they don't have the biggest budget, the biggest team, the biggest marketing spend out of all developers, they're definitely within the AAA realm.

What else would you call them? Indie? Does "AAA" now only mean "Gives an E3 press conference?"

IndAAAy.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

WampaLord posted:

Did you even read my post? I literally said that I wouldn't consider them indie and specifically lamented that there wasn't a third designation. They absolutely do not pull from the same support structure that publisher-owned companies like Bioware and Bethesda (the developer) have and there's no way you can seriously argue that Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity are even designed to compete in the same space as Mass Effect or Fallout 4. There's a huge gulf between Indie's "we use pixel graphics because we can't afford anything better" and AAA's "gigantic genre-defining yearly-release blockbuster." It'd be nice to have a universally understood designation for that between-space. Like how a B-movie isn't an Indie Arthouse Film or a Major Hollywood Release.

This guy.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The word I'd use to describe Obsidian is "mercenary" over anything else. It takes a lot to sell your services to big publishers without getting bought out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:buddy:

Seriously, though, why not just AA/A? It could be a spectrum.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

The word I'd use to describe Obsidian is "mercenary" over anything else. It takes a lot to sell your services to big publishers without getting bought out.

And then you keep releasing unfinished games because the big boys called and told you to ship it now and gently caress your story.

Only Obsidian games I played are KOTOR 2 and New Vegas. Both had better writing and stories than the previous BioWare/Bethesda efforts but you could see the seams in The Sith Lords and there were several really good ideas cut from NV that I read about from JE Sawyer and Chris Avellone.

Also, while I was highly impressed with Obsidian's writing in those two games, they were coming on some of the weaker stuff from both BW and Bethesda. I just noticed Obsidian has some pretty obsessive fans who poo poo on everyone else.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

CharlestheHammer posted:

What is with people and insane interpretations of WW2

Yes, this is exactly how I genuinely believe WW2 went down. I also believe that the moon is made of green cheese and that dragons are real.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Yes, this is exactly how I genuinely believe WW2 went down. I also believe that the moon is made of green cheese and that dragons are real.

Do dragons eat cheese? Asking for a friend.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do dragons eat cheese? Asking for a friend.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:3:

Where is this from?

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:buddy:

Seriously, though, why not just AA/A? It could be a spectrum.

It could be. Theoretically for a developer to be AAA, there must be AA and A designations that it surpasses, but literally nobody has ever described a developer as either of those. I was originally going to say that Obsidian was "really more of a AA developer" in that previous post but I figured people would misinterpret that as me trying to insult them.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Where is this from?

http://lizardshuffle.tumblr.com/tagged/hoards

All their stuff is cute and good.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
^^^^^ Or follow that link.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Where is this from?

Google "unusual dragon hoards". There are tons. The artist is called Iguanamouth.

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 15, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

New Butt Order posted:

It could be. Theoretically for a developer to be AAA, there must be AA and A designations that it surpasses, but literally nobody has ever described a developer as either of those. I was originally going to say that Obsidian was "really more of a AA developer" in that previous post but I figured people would misinterpret that as me trying to insult them.

Yeah, probably mostly because it's not well-developed. Hotels do present themselves as, say, 3 vs 5 star, just to express the level of service rather than denigrate their own quality.

quote:

http://lizardshuffle.tumblr.com/tagged/hoards

All their stuff is cute and good.

:kimchi:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I remember seeing AA used to refer to developers like THQ before they shut down, but that it stopped being a thing precisely because developers like that ended up folding or being absorbed by larger corporations and put to working on the AAA titles.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/TerrancezeKhan/status/886304021304225792

I so will never get Twitter culture.

EDIT: Context

https://twitter.com/shaun_jen/status/886311327786045442

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 15, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So the latest Night Mind video has him talking about another reviewer, Jordan Underneath. Has anyone ever watched his stuff? Night Mind had high praise for him, but I never heard of him and was wondering if anyone else had.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So the latest Night Mind video has him talking about another reviewer, Jordan Underneath. Has anyone ever watched his stuff? Night Mind had high praise for him, but I never heard of him and was wondering if anyone else had.

I did for a long while. I think's he good, I enjoyed pretty much all his stuff. Certainly better than EverymanHYBRID,.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Darth Walrus posted:

Yes but it also came out in a time where the market wasn't flooded by them.

Thanks for the recommendations btw, I'll check it out when I'm not completely broke.

e: New night mind video is pretty good, the new Nyx Fears video that he appears in is really good. Dan Olson (do you have Swedish heritage?) gets a shoutout in it.

watho fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 15, 2017

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwkajvoV4BY

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

Also, while I was highly impressed with Obsidian's writing in those two games, they were coming on some of the weaker stuff from both BW and Bethesda. I just noticed Obsidian has some pretty obsessive fans who poo poo on everyone else.

Just because they are sequels to games with less than stellar writing shouldn't be a mark against the product itself. You rarely see people complain about the writing in obsidian games, while you can quite easily and rightfully criticize their gameplay and stability.

I think the latter point ties into the debate on actual game writing quality. Bioware and Bethesda are repeatedly praised for their stories in gaming media coverage, while Obsidian writing is usually overlooked to focus on which game breaking bug it is this month. Here you can see why an obsidian fan might find bias in the media coverage due to Bethesda just as often if not more having horrendous bugs, or Bioware writing simply being passable while their game play chases current trends.

I think why new Vegas is so beloved is because of its writing and the willingness some people have to put up with mediocre gunplay to experience it. I can't even imagine playing new Vegas without mods anymore and I've had to Frankenstein a load of mods to make it tolerable. But the level of care put into the dialogue system and the variety of options it provides players is unmatched outside of purestrain CRPGs from the 90s.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 16, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Here you can see why an Obsidian fan might find bias in the media coverage due to Bethesda just as often if not more having horrendous bugs, or Bioware writing simply being passable while their game play chases current trends.

Even more when you realize that the QA and all of that on New Vegas was done by Bethesda.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Pshaw, as if there was a Black Isle game that wasn't also a vibrant nest of bugs.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yardbomb posted:

Even more when you realize that the QA and all of that on New Vegas was done by Bethesda.

To be more precise, they did barely any QA. I wouldn't be shocked if they just looked at Goodsprings and went "nothing is broken, ship the title"

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Jim Sterling found what could almost be passed off as a a Steam port of an unreleased (and unfinished) Dreamcast game from 2001 (well, except for using assets from the Unity store...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL0byIABEF4

(Seriously, how did they manage to get a Unity game to look that ugly?!)

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Bioware and Bethesda are repeatedly praised for their stories in gaming media coverage,

Who are these wrong people

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheMaestroso posted:

Who are these wrong people

I direct you to HBomb's Fallout 3 video, where morality is displayed in a video review by attacking a friendly super mutant upon seeing him, or an entire town turning hostile because you pick up a fork.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oh boyyyyy laci green's gone completely down the shithole.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Night Mind talks about Jordan Underneath's transition from Indie horror game reviewer to master surreal puppeteer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

yea Laci went the route of that other dude who got called a cuck so hard by the alt right morons he just decided to join them, except this time instead of some ant covered game journalist it's an actually respected sex educator spreading bigoted bullshit, so that's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jeez, I wonder what the gently caress happened to Green? It reportedly was almost overnight and such a dramatic shift in her attitude.

• Locked thread