Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Looking at their catlogue, I can't really see myself buying a Vinegar Syndrome release, but I admire what they do.

NIGHT TRAIN TO TERROR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Looking at their catlogue, I can't really see myself buying a Vinegar Syndrome release, but I admire what they do.

I picked up their Undertaker release and it was worth it, but I'm a junkie for odd slashers.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I recently bought some 88 Films stuff and apparently there's some indie label beef between Arrow and other distributors, which I find endearing as hell. Indie labels putting out unremembered stuff is just so goddamn cool.

Are there any others besides Code Red, Vinegar Syndrome, 88, Arrow, and Scream/Shout that're worth looking into?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I, Butthole posted:

I recently bought some 88 Films stuff and apparently there's some indie label beef between Arrow and other distributors, which I find endearing as hell. Indie labels putting out unremembered stuff is just so goddamn cool.

Are there any others besides Code Red, Vinegar Syndrome, 88, Arrow, and Scream/Shout that're worth looking into?

Alamo Drafthouse has their own label now. Most stuff is $10 if you order direct from their site. A Band Called Death, Ms. 45, Miami Connection, Dangerous Men, and Trailer War are all worth picking up IMO. It's Arrow-esque weirdo or exploitation stuff. Trailer War in particular is great, it's 90 minutes of bonkers trailers, lots of 70s-80s bizarro sci-fi and martial arts.

http://drafthousefilms.com

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

Severin

https://severin-films.com

Twilight Time

https://www.twilighttimemovies.com

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Alamo Drafthouse has their own label now. Most stuff is $10 if you order direct from their site. A Band Called Death, Ms. 45, Miami Connection, Dangerous Men, and Trailer War are all worth picking up IMO. It's Arrow-esque weirdo or exploitation stuff. Trailer War in particular is great, it's 90 minutes of bonkers trailers, lots of 70s-80s bizarro sci-fi and martial arts.

http://drafthousefilms.com

How the hell are they all only 10 bucks?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MacheteZombie posted:

There is an Arrow Video thread around these parts, and if you haven't blown your entire cash pile yet, their sale starts on the 19th.

Do you have a link?

Edit-- never mind, found it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806284&perpage=40

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 14, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

I, Butthole posted:

Cult Epics http://www.cultepics.com/

Blue Underground http://www.blue-underground.com/

edit: Mondo Macabro http://mondomacabro.bigcartel.com/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Blue Underground put out a few really nice but very affordable sets that horror fans would be interested in. I have their Fulci and Argento sets and they're fantastic, and each only cost me like $25.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I forgot Synapse http://synapse-films.com/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
RaroVideo USA has some cool releases. They aren't as good as other indie distributors but their releases are cheap. The first Fernando Di Leo boxset was a fun watch.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?studioid=775

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

US or U.K.?

I picked up their Bride of Re-Animator and Dead-End Drive-In releases today at Fopp and the packaging is stellar.

I really don't need to buy more blu rays but I'm dying to get their upcoming Re-Animator one, that integrated cut with all the stuff from both the R-rated and unrated versions is too tempting to pass up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Unmature posted:

How the hell are they all only 10 bucks?

To be fair, most of them are $10, some of the newer releases are $15. It's not a subscription or anything though, I've placed several orders with them and they're always $10 each. They aren't cheap products either, aside from Trailer War they've all come with Criterion style booklets and nice heavy duty cases. Alamo's just cool that way, I guess. :shrug:

I forgot to mention that BFI has also been doing very nice releases that can be had for cheap. I bought their Vivre Sa Vie and Killing of a Chinese Bookie editions today and while I can't speak for the transfers just yet, the packaging is near Criterion quality.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

If you're on the market for less cult-oriented and more forgotten foreign stuff, let me point you towards Second Run, one of the best curators of "films you'd never see otherwise":

https://www.secondrundvd.com

If you're looking for anything relatively obscure from Eastern Europe, these are your go-to folks.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just watched Secret Honor and it was dope. It's rare that one-man-show movies keep my interest but this was equally riveting and hilarious.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I just watched Secret Honor and it was dope. It's rare that one-man-show movies keep my interest but this was equally riveting and hilarious.

I might give it a try, it being one person didnt make me terribly interested

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I might give it a try, it being one person didnt make me terribly interested

It's one of Philip Baker Hall's best performances, the script is amazing, and it's got a really neat look, so watch the gently caress out of it

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

For those with Filmstruck, they just added a bunch of King Vidor films including The Big Parade and The Crowd.

While The Big Parade is the stunning 4K restoration, they're still using the ancient 80s transfer of The Crowd.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Round 2:

Jacques Demy set
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Tampopo
La Dolce Vita

I watched Blood Simple last night and enjoyed it a lot. I can't imagine the VHS version with the wrong music. It also seemed like a lot of the Coen style was already fully formed.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Picked up Blood Simple, Tokyo Story, and Chimes at Midnight. Chimes was a pretty impulse buy, so not sure what to expect. Supplements sound interesting at least.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

checkplease posted:

Chimes was a pretty impulse buy, so not sure what to expect. Supplements sound interesting at least.
You should expect a really kickass Shakespeare adaptation.

Purists might be turned off by how Welles refocuses Shakespeare's text, but nobody likes purists anyways.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah it's really cool and it makes me want to see a short cuts-esque Shakespeare movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you haven't already, pick up The Immortal Story and especially F for Fake too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'll be the one that advocates for Mr. Arkadin too, though that doesn't have a blu-ray release.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Raxivace posted:

I'll be the one that advocates for Mr. Arkadin too, though that doesn't have a blu-ray release.

the novel is printed in 4k

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hector Beerlioz posted:

the novel is printed in 4k
I actually read the novel!

I love how the whole bizarre story about why that novel even exists is almost entirely bullshit that Welles made up.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Raxivace posted:

You should expect a really kickass Shakespeare adaptation.

Purists might be turned off by how Welles refocuses Shakespeare's text, but nobody likes purists anyways.

Ah good to hear. Should be fun then. Got a stack of criterions I need to get through now. Finally watched Solaris tonight which I had bought at the last sale...

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Raxivace posted:

It's still an extremely high quality DVD. Plus, three cuts, a commentary on the UK theatrical cut (Confidential Report), rushes and alternate scenes, plus a doc on the "comprehensive" version. That's not even getting into the booklet and book.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Everytime I watch a Wells film I make sure to drink Paul Masson for the full experience

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Jabberwocky has been confirmed on Twitter.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Everytime I watch a Wells film I make sure to drink Paul Masson for the full experience

Welles was a scotch man.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

RIP George Romero. :(

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
RIP George A Romero :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
RIP George Andrew Romero :(

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Yeah, RIP.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Canuckian dollar is on the way up so here's my haul:

Stalker
Kurosawa's Dreams
Tampopo
Ghost World
Boyhood

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like they got a film that will easily be release of the year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone know if Barnes and Noble will let me use the pickup in store feature on an item's release day? If know one knows, I guess I'll have to report my success tomorrow.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Holy poo poo if Barry Lyndon and FWWM are really in the October batch

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like they got a film that will easily be release of the year.

I too love to be cryptic.

PS: Don't watch Tampopo hungry. Also, I apparently can't recognize young Ken Watanabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

I too love to be cryptic.

Barry Lyndon would absolutely be my most anticipated release of the year. Honestly I can't think of a film I'd want Criterion to do more than Barry Lyndon, I'd have said Stalker in years past but obviously not anymore.