Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

Game of Thrones is permanently at the top of my list of boardgames when sorted by "enjoyment:chance of getting to the table" ratio. You'd better block out at least 6 hours for the first few sessions, because you won't get the same 6 people to come back for a second round unless your group is truly dedicated.

Truly sounds like the proper Diplomacy derivative I've understood it to be in its core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Did another case in SHCD - West End Adventures - A Question of Identity.

Ended up being a bit of a mess for us (in a good way), since there were a lot of things going on and we were jumping back and forward between different lines of investigation. The answer to who killed Telbin felt like an arsepull though, and was the first thing we've actually got wrong in the game.

Also Sherlock has started openly cheating by awarding himself points for things he doesn't do. Glad we don't care about the score.

The actual case was good and had a few fantastic Eureka! moments.

Papes posted:

I only play paperback with 2 and a game usually takes half an hour at most. How many are you playing with that it bogs down?

Yeah it normally takes me about 45 minutes with 2. The reliance on wordbuilding is a massive advantage for me too.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 16, 2017

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Write positive blurbs for the terrible games you played as kids:

War cleverly merges trick taking with deck building mechanics, resulting in a streamlined 2-player experience simple enough to play with your kids.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It was Bastille Day the other day so I took it upon myself to play the Frenchiest game in my collection.

Napoleon's Triumph!

This was my first game with a new player. The few times I've played before was with another experienced player who gave me tips so this was both a game I had to teach and also the training wheels were off.

Setup was a clusterfuck. My opponent, playing the Allies, obviously didn't know what-was-what so created this big bulge on one front. I was expecting to play a defensive game and left all my heavy cavalry and guard units as reinforcements, a mistake I would regret later.

I do well holding the lines. The fixed battery does its job poking holes in his approach as cavalry kite around his infantry.

Things get a little hairy when he splits my army in two. With so few independent moves Claude Juste Alexandre Louis Legrand (isolated blue units on the right) and his artillery have free reign to nug away at the Allied morale.

I score a big win in the center. My artillery eliminates a unit in a wide approach allowing me to push hard. The result is a massive allied route losing 12 morale and giving me some breathing room. At this point it's down to the wire, 1 allied morale to 6 French morale with 1 hour (turn) left on the clock. He can't take any of my objectives but all his elite units are fresh. A series of crushing guard attacks and heavy cavalry break my defenses, ending the game on his final command. Lessons learned: should've brought the reinforcements a turn ago. I snuck a cavalry behind his lines allowing me to kite his units away from the main road. An easy push could've gotten me a 3-star objective easy. But I got cocky and that was my downfall.

He celebrated the victory by consuming Napoleon's favorite dinner; roast chicken, French cut green beans with almonds, and a lentil soup with a glass of bordeaux to wash it down. We will meet again December 1st, if not earlier, to settle the score.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Paperback and Evolution climate are now on my short list.

Paperback sees out of stock though. Thanks for all the advice goons.

Also bought Valley of the kings Afterlife

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bombadilillo posted:

The 'sequel' to paperback is coming out aoon called hardback.

It fixes some of the issues discussed and may be a superior version of the game

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The last party I went to we played Two Rooms and a Boom, which was infinitely more entertaining than CaH. It scales up better, doesn't involve waiting, and people get to stage coups so they can go outside on a hot summer day.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The 'sequel' to paperback is coming out aoon called hardback.

It fixes some of the issues discussed and may be a superior version of the game

Well that's a great tip. Probably why its out of stock!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Paperback is in stock, Tim Fowers only sells his games direct.

https://www.fowers.games/collections/direct-price/products/paperback

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

It was Bastille Day the other day so I took it upon myself to play the Frenchiest game in my collection.

Napoleon's Triumph!

This was my first game with a new player. The few times I've played before was with another experienced player who gave me tips so this was both a game I had to teach and also the training wheels were off.

Setup was a clusterfuck. My opponent, playing the Allies, obviously didn't know what-was-what so created this big bulge on one front. I was expecting to play a defensive game and left all my heavy cavalry and guard units as reinforcements, a mistake I would regret later.

I do well holding the lines. The fixed battery does its job poking holes in his approach as cavalry kite around his infantry.

Things get a little hairy when he splits my army in two. With so few independent moves Claude Juste Alexandre Louis Legrand (isolated blue units on the right) and his artillery have free reign to nug away at the Allied morale.

I score a big win in the center. My artillery eliminates a unit in a wide approach allowing me to push hard. The result is a massive allied route losing 12 morale and giving me some breathing room. At this point it's down to the wire, 1 allied morale to 6 French morale with 1 hour (turn) left on the clock. He can't take any of my objectives but all his elite units are fresh. A series of crushing guard attacks and heavy cavalry break my defenses, ending the game on his final command. Lessons learned: should've brought the reinforcements a turn ago. I snuck a cavalry behind his lines allowing me to kite his units away from the main road. An easy push could've gotten me a 3-star objective easy. But I got cocky and that was my downfall.

He celebrated the victory by consuming Napoleon's favorite dinner; roast chicken, French cut green beans with almonds, and a lentil soup with a glass of bordeaux to wash it down. We will meet again December 1st, if not earlier, to settle the score.

Fantastic write-up. Can never get enough of this game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I finally got a chance to play Mage Knight tonight for the first time and hot drat that game is absolutely amazing. My fiance and I left the gaming cafe we were at and were tempted to walk right back in and play it again. It's good.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
You finished before closing time? Man, I really want to play that again, but because we took such a long time playing it I can't get anyone interested in a multiplayer game. Maybe I should host an evening and make them pick between Mage Knight and Civ:TTA.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

please knock Mom! posted:

You finished before closing time? Man, I really want to play that again, but because we took such a long time playing it I can't get anyone interested in a multiplayer game. Maybe I should host an evening and make them pick between Mage Knight and Civ:TTA.

luckily it closes at 2AM :v:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kashuno posted:

I finally got a chance to play Mage Knight tonight for the first time and hot drat that game is absolutely amazing. My fiance and I left the gaming cafe we were at and were tempted to walk right back in and play it again. It's good.

Still tempted at mage knight. But I build a gaming table to leave things set up in perpetuity! Solves the rediculously long problem

Usually has War of the Ring on it now-a-days.

On that subject. Mage Knight vs Star Trek Frontiers. For someone who would 100% perfect star trek theme.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 16, 2017

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Super envious of people able to play Napoleon's Triumph. I'd love to try it someday.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Btw Jack box is fun but the level of the room always seems to settle on potty humor whenever I've played.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Someone on Reddit made a pretty in-depth listing of the best games at each player count, sorted by genre and sub-genre according to BGG rankings. It's pretty respectable, with a few naggles here and there, but could be useful since it's a topic we talk about a lot here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/6ni9h2/top_boardgames_for_each_player_counts_and_genre/

and here is a really long BGG list sorted by player count and weight

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/224746/how-many-players-play-2017-edition

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 16, 2017

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Mister Sinewave posted:

Btw Jack box is fun but the level of the room always seems to settle on potty humor whenever I've played.

That's frustrating, when everyone rises to the occasion Quiplash is a great rapid-fire comedy tournament. Fibbage works OK as a Balderdash substitute and Drawful is a funny exercise in trying to make sense of bizarre scribbles, so they're at least a little less dependent on your friends' humour. That requires them to want to win and not just make dumb jokes though, which doesn't always happen even in my experience.

Bottom Liner posted:

Someone on Reddit made a pretty in-depth listing of the best games at each player count, sorted by genre and sub-genre according to BGG rankings. It's pretty respectable, with a few naggles here and there, but could be useful since it's a topic we talk about a lot here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/6ni9h2/top_boardgames_for_each_player_counts_and_genre/

Going to bookmark this, looks like a great resource. Tekopo can you put this in the OP, even?

Seems crazy not to have Tash-Kalar as a best two-player abstract, but whatever.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 16, 2017

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Bombadilillo posted:

On that subject. Mage Knight vs Star Trek Frontiers. For someone who would 100% perfect star trek theme.

They're essentially the same game, but Mage Knight pulls ahead because of its expansions. Lost Legion, in particular. The other two (Krang and Shades of Tezla) are nice if you want more content, but LL is essential.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

This list is real hard to argue with. Among games I recognize, I don't see any clunkers. The only oversight I see if a lack of making co-op its own category, but I can also see that it's sort of a weird thing to want to play together more than worrying about depth and complexity.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Dungeon Petz tonight! Been on my wall of shame faaaaaaar too long.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Best heavy euro at six is probably Dominate Species. Yes a nice list, I'd tweak it a bit but I'd feel comfortable giving that list out.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ojetor posted:

They're essentially the same game, but Mage Knight pulls ahead because of its expansions. Lost Legion, in particular. The other two (Krang and Shades of Tezla) are nice if you want more content, but LL is essential.

Did they ever fix the printing issues with Shades of Tezla? That's the only reason I haven't bought it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Bottom Liner posted:

Missing Galaxy Trucker. List is garbage.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I wonder how a brain can work so that he was confident in his choices for "best medium-heavy solo Euro" and "best medium-light solo Euro" but couldn't think of a single "medium solo Euro".

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

CaptainRightful posted:

I wonder how a brain can work so that he was confident in his choices for "best medium-heavy solo Euro" and "best medium-light solo Euro" but couldn't think of a single "medium solo Euro".

This is explained in the comments. They said the list was compiled based on BGG rankings and citing their 'best at' player counts.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm really sad that it's impossible to find a copy of Santorini, looks like a game me and my wife would love. I hope they do a reprint soon.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Still tempted at mage knight. But I build a gaming table to leave things set up in perpetuity! Solves the rediculously long problem

Usually has War of the Ring on it now-a-days.

I'm staring at it on Amazon with the expansions right now, but Gloomhaven is coming soonish and I know once I put that on the table it isn't coming down for a while :negative:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm really sad that it's impossible to find a copy of Santorini, looks like a game me and my wife would love. I hope they do a reprint soon.

You can make it out of anything and use the pnp god cards. We play with Tak pieces and meeples.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

EvilChameleon posted:

This is explained in the comments. They said the list was compiled based on BGG rankings and citing their 'best at' player counts.

So it's a flawed methodology. A game could be "best with 2 players" yet still be better solo than every game that's "best with 1 player". Particularly now that so many multiplayer games are being released with official solitaire rules included.

Not to mention 5 separate levels of "weight" for Euros while all wargames go in the same bucket.

Lists like this claim to be for the benefit of curious new players but they fail in that task because they're so bogged down by the way obsessives like us think about board games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

So it's a flawed methodology. A game could be "best with 2 players" yet still be better solo than every game that's "best with 1 player". Particularly now that so many multiplayer games are being released with official solitaire rules included.

Not to mention 5 separate levels of "weight" for Euros while all wargames go in the same bucket.

Lists like this claim to be for the benefit of curious new players but they fail in that task because they're so bogged down by the way obsessives like us think about board games.

If a game was decided that it's best with 1 instead of 2 it would be listed as such. This is community driven data and if you personally disagree with a game's best player count that's one thing, but to outright dismiss the method makes no sense.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

If a game was decided that it's best with 1 instead of 2 it would be listed as such. This is community driven data and if you personally disagree with a game's best player count that's one thing, but to outright dismiss the method makes no sense.

That's not what I'm saying.

Game A: recommended with 1, best with 2, recommended with 3
Game B: best with 1, recommended with 2, recommended with 3

Game B may very well be better at all player counts than Game A is at all player counts. His methodology is based on flawed logic.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finally played some more 18XX: this time, 1849 which I've never played before. Custom home-made P&P from one of my friends, really nice looking. Overall I enjoyed the game quite a lot, even though it uses hex trains. The game is partial cap but has some interesting quirks, like having to buy your tokens at the start and a fixed arrival of public companies (randomly determined at the start). The random order does give the game some much needed longevity, since the games can differ wildly, which is an interesting method of adding replayability to the game. I ended up with the port token private and the teleport to coastal city private, but that meant I only had money to par at 68 while the other two players parred at 100.

After the first few rounds. Pretty standard opening. I had the yellow company. Orange was making buckets of money at the start since they started in Palermo and that city is incredible in terms of how much early money it makes. It is balanced by the fact that it doesn't have great expansion prospects.

Do you see those two sharp turns near yellow that are seemingly pointless and go nowhere? That's what happened when the owner of Orange bought into my company too heavily. I spent as much as possible, placed the token in a pointless spot and then dumped the company on him because I was safe due to priority. Until that point, that player had been winning, but I gave him the lamest duck possible. With the proceeds from selling Yellow, I bought Red and Green (parred at 144 and 68 respectively).

With Red and Green in my hands, I upgraded the east of Sicily and with them working in cooperation along with issuing bonds, I was able to buy 1 16H in one company and a 10H and a R6H (a permanent train that runs better in narrow gauge track: the way that the game works is that narrow gauge, which is the dotted lines, take two hexes from your trains instead of one, but this isn't true for the late-game R6H).

End game position. My two companies were making the most money by far and I was topping the share prices so me winning was a foregone conclusion by the time we reached the last set of ORs. I was at 7800 including share price, second came the person that started the pink (the only company he owned all game) with 5400 and third the player that started orange/got yellow dumped on him with 4700. One of the few times I've aggressively dumped a company but it really paid off this time. Overall I'm excited to try 1849 again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

That's not what I'm saying.

Game A: recommended with 1, best with 2, recommended with 3
Game B: best with 1, recommended with 2, recommended with 3

Game B may very well be better at all player counts than Game A is at all player counts. His methodology is based on flawed logic.

You do realize games can have a "best at" range on BGG right? Between that and their overall score it keeps bad games from beating good games on the list just because they're best at a specific player count.

I've been experimenting with Scythe strategies and happened upon a really good and much easier solo mode. I was playing solo in a 5 player setup and used a d4 to decide opponent actions, with the caveat that if they had the resources to do a bottom action they would default to that. For movement and such, I would play in a standard best choice manner. It worked surprisingly well and the scores were all in standard ranges for RL games.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 16, 2017

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I really wasn't mindful of the methodology, I just thought it was a good list. Probably will keep it around.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I don't see where it talks about the methodology, but if that Reddit list is going by BGG's "best with X players", it's going to end up weird. Their best medium Euros for 2 (which is totally my jam) are three games that are ONLY good with two. They have a high percentage of "best with 2 players" because they are not good or not playable with other counts.

Grand Austria Hotel is best with 2 for sure, but Voyages of Marco Polo is rated as best with 4 and is probably still a better game with 2 than GAH. I think that's kind of what someone was trying to say a few posts ago.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

malkav11 posted:

Did they ever fix the printing issues with Shades of Tezla? That's the only reason I haven't bought it.

Nope. You can send in for replacements, but apparently the reprint stuff had a new error in it. Wizkids...

It really isn't much of an expansion though. It gives you a few new scenarios and some factions to go after (undead dudes and elemental dudes), but they're pretty samey and you're going to be going back to Volkare after 1-2 games.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Medium Style posted:

Grand Austria Hotel is best with 2 for sure, but Voyages of Marco Polo is rated as best with 4 and is probably still a better game with 2 than GAH. I think that's kind of what someone was trying to say a few posts ago.

This guy gets it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

malkav11 posted:

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Nope. You can send in for replacements, but apparently the reprint stuff had a new error in it. Wizkids...

It really isn't much of an expansion though. It gives you a few new scenarios and some factions to go after (undead dudes and elemental dudes), but they're pretty samey and you're going to be going back to Volkare after 1-2 games.

The replacements are missing an icon on a monster token, but that at least can easily be fixed with a marker or sticker, unlike the original run's problems. I'm not sure if the boxes out on shelves right now have the original run or the replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah they'll get you that replacement pack, but like a couple months after you request it without any communication or acknowledgement of opening the ticket, shipping, etc.