Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know why Disney is going so gung ho on trackless systems.

Bring on the Epcot news though!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It adds a nice level of variety being trackless. I appreciate it just for the mix up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hopefully we get at least one major surprise for Epcot. I really want more details on Star Wars rides too.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Unmature posted:

Also, can anyone give me a quick primer about Disneyland fastpasses?

Tip: The next time you can get a FastPass (in the park) is printed right on the ticket... not the big numbers up top, but the little text in the middle. I've known too many people who think that you have to wait until your FastPass window comes up before you can get another one, so they miss out on extra FastPasses they could have gotten.

Also, the FastPass systems for both parks aren't linked, so you can hop back and forth and get FastPasses all day.

The difference is that there's not as many attractions with FastPass, and to be frank, there doesn't really need to be, except for the big attractions.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
You all should be following the D23 news, twitter, etc.
immersive Star Wars hotel, tron ride confirmed, etc.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rip Great Movie Ride. They're really going to only have two rides at Hollywood studios for winter? Lol

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

tomapot posted:

I live within day trip distance of Disney, and I'm still thinking 'gently caress, I'm going to have to stay at that Star Wars hotel now.'

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

tomapot posted:

I didn't catch where the Star Wars hotel will be located, was it WDW or Disneyland?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

meet girls at the store posted:

I didn't catch where the Star Wars hotel will be located, was it WDW or Disneyland?

No clue on Disneyland but World is getting it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The rumor is right outside of studios, perhaps replacing a portion of Pop.

Also GNr closes August 13

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I really don't know how to feel about the Star Wars hotel. On one hand I'm sure it'll be awesome. On the other I'm sure it's so far out of my price range that it might as well not exist. It's like if they announced another V+A level restaurant. That's interesting but it probably won't meaningfully affect my trip.

https://twitter.com/easywdw/status/886371346241998849

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So the important takeaways:

* Great Movie Ride replaced by a "2.5D" ride based on the new Mickey Mouse shorts.

* Immersive and hideously expensive Star Wars hotel.

* Mission Space restaurant which appears to be set in orbit.

* Guardians of the Galaxy replacing Universe of Energy.

* Ratatouille ride from France coming over.

* Tron Light Cycles behind the Tomorrowland Speedway.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
How are they closing GMR before toy story opens!?!?

Or are they just leaning into the whole half day park thing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Did they actually say anything about price, or is this just an obvious assumption based on what they said?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sinteres posted:

Did they actually say anything about price, or is this just an obvious assumption based on what they said?

Judging from the elaborate concept art, the confirmed details regarding how deep the immersion is (you even get an in-universe wardrobe), and what Disney already charges for lesser experiences, there's no way it's going to be anything less than ridiculous.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

So the important takeaways:

* Great Movie Ride replaced by a "2.5D" ride based on the new Mickey Mouse shorts.

* Mission Space restaurant which appears to be set in orbit.

* Guardians of the Galaxy replacing Universe of Energy.

* Ratatouille ride from France coming over.

* Tron Light Cycles behind the Tomorrowland Speedway.

:stare: All of this is awesome. That Mission Space restaurant looks incredible. Like Coral Reef in space!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Also, they confirmed the name of the land as Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge.

Which I really really like. Way more evocative than just naming it whatever the name is of the planet they invent.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

chitoryu12 posted:

Judging from the elaborate concept art, the confirmed details regarding how deep the immersion is (you even get an in-universe wardrobe), and what Disney already charges for lesser experiences, there's no way it's going to be anything less than ridiculous.

It's like Westworld but Star Wars. It's for sure going to be out of reach for most people.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Epcot blue sky artwork rips out communicore AND project tomorrow which is odd.

Nothing being announced about figment makes me worries....

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I will say I'm glad immersive theatre is taking off to such a degree that even Disney is trying to incorporate it into theme parks. It's a really cool concept that's traditionally been an underground weird thing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

chitoryu12 posted:

I will say I'm glad immersive theatre is taking off to such a degree that even Disney is trying to incorporate it into theme parks. It's a really cool concept that's traditionally been an underground weird thing.

After watching Westworld I'm pretty obsessed with the idea. This is probably a bad thing.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Empress Brosephine posted:

The rumor is right outside of studios, perhaps replacing a portion of Pop.

Also GNr closes August 13

I heard part of the area near the cast parking parking directly behind Galaxy's Edge, so you can walk straight into the land without breaking immersion. Sounds freaking cool, and it's something I'm going to have to spend a looooooong time convincing my gf is worth it as opposed to flying to Iceland or wherever she would rather go...

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Zero One posted:

It's like Westworld but Star Wars. It's for sure going to be out of reach for most people.

It's a really cool idea, and I'm sure it's going to be very expensive, but man are people setting themselves up for disappointment by talking about it like it's Westworld. Maybe it'll actually end up being a super exciting immersive experience, but it sounds like there's video game level hype/overpromising going on with this. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though! It's impossible to really justify the expense, but I'm pretty sure this is something I'm going to have to experience once just to say I did it.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'll be the comicbook guy asking to be compted a free stay/tickets due to the experience being ruined by the out of cannon numerous jedi running around, and children jedi with lightsabers at that! All I asked was for the tatooine room so I could live the dream of being a moisture farmer.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 16, 2017

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm dead guys. So excited.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Quixotic1 posted:

I'll be the comicbook guy asking to be compted a free stay/tickets due to the experience being ruined by the out of cannon numerous jedi running around, and children jedi with lightsabers at that! All I asked was for the tatooine room so I could live the dream of being a moisture farmer.

There is going to be an awesome "this crotchfruit got to open the case and get the first Harry Potter book instead of me" story somewhere, I can't wait

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002

Quixotic1 posted:

All I asked was for the tatooine room so I could live the dream of being a moisture farmer.

The Uncle Owen Experience

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Sad for GMR going but it needed updating. Poor HS is going to be a barren wasteland for a couple years until everything finishes, but I guess it will finally get the hype it deserves. Trying to think of when to go next is weird (thankfully my wallet is like nooooo right now). Tons of construction everywhere ---but Ratatouille? YES! On my cruise I talked to an older English couple who would go to DLP/WDW a ton. They loved Ratatouille so much. And Tron sounds amazing. Too bad they can't refurb PC into the Shanghai version.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm staying at least one night in that Star Wars resort. Even if I have to pay full price, which I never do, it's happening.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anya posted:

Sad for GMR going but it needed updating. Poor HS is going to be a barren wasteland for a couple years until everything finishes, but I guess it will finally get the hype it deserves. Trying to think of when to go next is weird (thankfully my wallet is like nooooo right now). Tons of construction everywhere ---but Ratatouille? YES! On my cruise I talked to an older English couple who would go to DLP/WDW a ton. They loved Ratatouille so much. And Tron sounds amazing. Too bad they can't refurb PC into the Shanghai version.

Toy Story land opens next summer, HS will be fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well, I have an interview for a photography position with the advertising and marketing department. It's a mostly self managed position creating image campaigns for brochures, magazines, etc. Fingers crossed it pays competitively to give up my current work!

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 16, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm very excited to watch videos of the Star Wars hotel and Mission Space restaurant because I'll never afford either.

Kidding (mostly) but I am so excited for my DLR trip next month that I started this silly little twitter side project: https://twitter.com/disney80s90s

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Both Universe of Energy and the Great Movie Ride Close August 13, 2017.

The Mickey and Minnies' Runaway Railway (Replacing the movie ride) opens sometime in early 2019.

The replacement for Universe of Energy is something that contains "Adventures with the Guardians of the Galaxy" (mentioned as such because of hte legal minefield with the Universal Marvel Contract) which based on the amount of land in the permits for the area is probably going to be a coaster. Rumored opening for that is (no joke) 2021. The space restaurant is going to be attached to mission space.

Innoventions in Epcot (both sides) are going bye bye, demolishing with mostly greenery replacing them. It's like they just flat out gave up on these buildings, heck they called it the "Front Part of Epcot" and World Showcase in the presentation, probably indicating the name Future World is going away. All this should be done for the 50th anniversary. There may be some unannounced stuff in the area, but probably nothing major.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2017/...-overhaul-much/

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Congrats Bottom Liner!!

I think I got unintentionally sacked; I had a Doctors note for six days off which is what is supposed to be ok but all of a sudden the leaves team says it has to be 8? Oh well

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Bottom Liner posted:

Toy Story land opens next summer, HS will be fine.

Gotcha. I was thinking Toy Story Land wasn't until 2019 as well. That would have been a low key HS for two years.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Bottom Liner posted:

Well, I have an interview for a photography position with the advertising and marketing department. It's a mostly self managed position creating image campaigns for brochures, magazines, etc. Fingers crossed it pays competitively to give up my current work!

Congrats and good luck with the interview!!!!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

So, we're looking for someone who is pretty good at photography to be on our podcast. It would be about tips for amateurs to get good photos at Disney. Bottom Liner? Anyone?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A one-off or ongoing segment? I have a studio mic and all, but not sure if I could commit to anything ongoing at the moment, happy to do a one time feature or something similar.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Empress Brosephine posted:

Congrats Bottom Liner!!

I think I got unintentionally sacked; I had a Doctors note for six days off which is what is supposed to be ok but all of a sudden the leaves team says it has to be 8? Oh well

Yeah when we got transferred over there they never bothered to give us a proper orientation so we learned a lot of policies by trial and error. It was infuriating.

Ride GMR yesterday just in case I forget to later. I'm definitely pleased with all the announcements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oooo that would be a awesome podcast!!!!