Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I definitely lost some hearing running holdback on those F35s for a month straight back in August. Hook me up with them bluetooth hearing aids. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

Been out for over a month now and it's been good. Starting grad school in the fall.

Feels weird not having my paycheck but other than that it's not an ad transition. If any of you mil goons are going to UVA let me know. I want to be involved in the veterans organization.

Same, except started my new job. It feels amazing to let my hair get long and wear whatever I want.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

I definitely lost some hearing running holdback on those F35s for a month straight back in August. Hook me up with them bluetooth hearing aids. :pray:

lmao you aint gettin poo poo. Do 20 then talk to the VA, you might get some.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!
Or shell out the 2500 for your own. They fuckin have sound cancellation when in bluetooth mod.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LordNad posted:

Or shell out the 2500 for your own. They fuckin have sound cancellation when in bluetooth mod.

Sold if they can sound cancel reality.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Anita Dickinme posted:

They didn't give you special ear pro for that?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

vulturesrow posted:

Search your heart for the truth

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

vulturesrow posted:

lol no. They gave us a box of ear plugs. :v:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I know that was a dumb question. FWIW developing new ear pro for flight deck personnel and the LSOs was supposed to happen. But I guess box of earplugs it is!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Anita Dickinme posted:

Make sure you get this written in your loving medical records.

My hearing loss wasn't.

:(

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

This isn't directed towards you but I'm not sure why people hate the VA for not giving them a hearing aid or taking their hearing loss serious as being service related when they never once wrote it down and skipped that box on their final physical because they didn't want to make their EAS more work

All the while they were 19 and had good hearing lol why would I need earpro? I'm a man damnit

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

This isn't directed towards you but I'm not sure why people hate the VA for not giving them a hearing aid or taking their hearing loss serious as being service related when they never once wrote it down and skipped that box on their final physical because they didn't want to make their EAS more work

All the while they were 19 and had good hearing lol why would I need earpro? I'm a man damnit

You've got your annual audiogram today so hurry the gently caress up and get it done because the department can't leave until we have an all-hands.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You've got your annual audiogram today so hurry the gently caress up and get it done because the department can't leave until we have an all-hands.

*Bluetooth pairing successful*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGwDsrQ1eQ

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

Make sure you get this written in your loving medical records.

My hearing loss wasn't.

:(

I already failed my hearing test and I'm scheduled for another one at base medical so we'll see what happens. It really was my fault because whenever we'd man up I'd forget my crucial ear plugs. :suicide:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Greetings fellow failed hearing test buddy.

MAKE SURE IT'S IN YOUR RECORDS. According to mine, I never suffered any degradation and there's no reference to the test failure.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

couple of dead seabees from motorcycle accidents this weekend. time for a mandatory stand down, especially for the non riders!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

maffew buildings posted:

couple of dead seabees from motorcycle accidents this weekend. time for a mandatory stand down, especially for the non riders!

gently caress... more than one from the same command? Racing?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress... more than one from the same command? Racing?

Different places

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

maffew buildings posted:

How much more do you know about motorcycle PPE now, though? Don't motorcycles look fun and cool now?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

THey tell me I need to rebaseline my audiogram. I have no idea wtf that means other than it sounds like they are trying to cheat me out disability. Someone please explain.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

THey tell me I need to rebaseline my audiogram. I have no idea wtf that means other than it sounds like they are trying to cheat me out disability. Someone please explain.

Pretty much. You are supposed to get a baseline when you come in, and any hearing exams after are measured against your baseline and your hearing loss is considered service related.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Sounds like they want to throw out all your old poo poo and set a new baseline so they are not responsible for the damage you've had so far.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Aside from being lazy I can't see any reason for them to do that, though, it doesn't really benefit them...?

But yeah lazy and maybe they lost your original 🤷🏽‍♀️

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think what they're wanting is to do another baseline style test (that is no noise whatsoever 14 hours from before) to establish your new normal since you've had enough of a threshold shift from your initial baseline. It isn't that they're trying to say this new test is what you came in as so there's no loss, but rather to figure out exactly how much you've dimished. They're not removing the old baseline from your record and pretending your current state is what you came in with.

I think the navy medical community has just accepted that "giving you a new baseline" is the term for a followup to a significant threshold shift and future tests in the hearing conservation program will be compared.

Your VA check for hearing loss isn't based exactly on your audiology history, but rather your deviation from what a standard person at your age should be at on an audiology exam. Your deviation from standard is put into a table to figure out your roman numeral per ear, and then those are put into another table to figure out compensation.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.85

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

another reminder that you don't have to have hearing loss to have tinnitus

You can still get paid for tinnitus without an obvious loss of hearing. I'm guessing actual severe hearing loss gets more but I just made that up

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sexual harassment, TSP, tagouts, and DUIs. I was expecting some cool stories about surfing with sharks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

another reminder that you don't have to have hearing loss to have tinnitus

You can still get paid for tinnitus without an obvious loss of hearing. I'm guessing actual severe hearing loss gets more but I just made that up

Service connected hearing loss in both ears if extreme enough warrants a 100% disability rating, although you need to be effectively deaf in your good ear for that to happen. The link I posted early explains it.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I realized recently that when it's actually a decent quite there's a faint ringing. I have no faith they'll believe me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

idk people are dicks but it was a non-issue for me both while in and VA, they don't really benefit from disproving you

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
There's no test for tinnitus. If you can prove that, while you were in, you were exposed to loud noises (which ought to be 100% of anyone who serves in the military, really), then they'll grant you 10% for tinnitus.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Anita Dickinme posted:

I realized recently that when it's actually a decent quite there's a faint ringing. I have no faith they'll believe me.

I didn't have any issues getting rated for it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

McNally posted:

There's no test for tinnitus. If you can prove that, while you were in, you were exposed to loud noises (which ought to be 100% of anyone who serves in the military, really), then they'll grant you 10% for tinnitus.

I got denied for this poo poo hella hard, despite working and drilling in a submarine engine-room and at a navy shipyard.

They just don't believe that I got the tinn

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ya my experience was extremely carefree. Had it on my final physical, maybe had one medical visit just to document it

Got out, saw a nice audiologist out in town the VA contracted out. I had two physicals for claims and this was one of them. She did some tests, asked some questions, said I didn't really have hearing loss but symptomatic for tinnitus and she'll write it down etc etc so in case my hearing gets worse I can get a hearing aid at the VA when I'm 60

Nice lady

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I got denied for this poo poo hella hard, despite working and drilling in a submarine engine-room and at a navy shipyard.

Did you appeal?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Well, see, submarines are quiet, right? :downs:

Seriously, appeal the gently caress out of that poo poo. My process basically was "what was your job in the military? Were you ever around loud noises and machinery?" and then a couple weeks later I got a letter saying "yup, you got tinnitus."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Did you appeal?

Did you see how much paperwork that was?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Did you see how much paperwork that was?

No because my VSO did all the paperwork. I just had to sign poo poo. Go to a VSO even if you haven't ever talked to one and see what your options are. If you have something they got wrong, appeal it. It may take years to sort it out, but you'll eventually get backpay and all you really have to do is just sign a few pieces of paper, go to any appointments you get sent to, and wait.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Like seriously, for almost everything VA related there are people that will do all the paperwork for you. It may take time, but it is always worth pursuing everything until exhaustion. Once you've reached the terminal point of VSO support, they will almost certainly have attorneys on speed dial that will take your case with no cost to you because there are statutory fees in the outcome.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
What about if your job was listening to white noise for hours at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ded posted:

What about if your job was listening to white noise for hours at a time.

Talk to a VSO. They'll be able to tell you more.