Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Human Grand Prix posted:

It's a Turbo 944, so I do. They considerably more expensive in good condition.

Isn't it some kind of rule or guideline that all Porsches cost at least $10,000? Meaning if you buy one for less, you will need to spend the difference to make it reliable enough to actually drive regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

One of the most expensive cars to own is a cheap Porsche

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

slidebite posted:

One of the most expensive cars to own is a cheap Porsche

It's like a free hotel room in Vegas.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Number_6 posted:

Isn't it some kind of rule or guideline that all Porsches cost at least $10,000? Meaning if you buy one for less, you will need to spend the difference to make it reliable enough to actually drive regularly.

944s have the $5k rule, but I guess with inflation I could see it being bumped to $10k

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is this a regional thing? Turbo 944s are absolutely not $5k if they can move under their own power.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

$5k is like the price Is pay for a 924 that looked mint. There's no way you are going to get a 944 that's drivable for anything close to that price.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
You can get a pretty nice 944 for 5K, a great one for under 10 for sure. An S2 or turbo will put you at 10K for drivable and 15K for a great one. Mint or rare can get bonkers really quickly though. Check out 968s for a crazy range of prices depending on condition and colors because the US models are all pretty much identical but since they're fairly rare you'll see 7K at the low end and 30K+ for a great condition one in a rare color.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
What about burnt up M3s with no engine?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/6215103630.html

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Azmodan was selling an S54 not long ago with a burned coilpack, guess we know where it came from.

edit: this post makes no sense to anyone outside the bmw communities

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

1500quidporsche posted:

$5k is like the price Is pay for a 924 that looked mint. There's no way you are going to get a 944 that's drivable for anything close to that price.

I'm about $5500 into mine and it's perfectly fine. $2800 for the car and $2600 for a full timing belt / water pump service. Came with new tires and a new battery. 97k miles, interior is mint, most everything works. Changed the oil and replaced the hood struts and wiper blades. The deals are out there, you just have to be patient.

edit: Mine's not a turbo or an S2, those are 10k for a running one, yeah.

Though if prices are going up like they are with other Porsches, maybe not for long.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 13, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/6219093219.html

quote:

1991 DAIHATSU ROCKY SUV 4X4 convertible - RARE, COLLECTABLE - $4000

This one is a head turner. Original turquoise paint over silver. All original parts and well maintained. Great exterior and driving condition. Everything works on this rig and it is very clean for its' age. 156K original miles. Clear Title.

It's fuel efficient, easy to drive, trouble-free and cheap to maintain. 4 Cyl 1.6L, Manual 5-speed transmission. 2-Door. Soft top/convertible. (Similar to Samurai, Tracker and Sidekick.)

Though Daihatsu left the US market shortly after this SUV/truck was made, they're known to be rugged and reliable as you'd expect of cars built by a Toyota owned company.

This is truly a rare find, since there are very few of them left and it was a very limited to begin with! 6 years ago we were offered $5K by a collector, but my dad didn't want to part with it. Now, due to medical expenses, we are forced to sell.

Asking only $4K. In recent years this model was selling for up $8,000. So please no low-balling. Cash only and local deal. Text (preferred) or call

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cool and good. Almost cool and good enough to go to Idaho and pick it up.

EDIT
Although looking at the set of pictures they have it looks like they bought it from a lot and took off the graphics on the side. What the heck why would you do that it's a bright aqua SUV from the 90s!

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 14, 2017

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.

Am I crazy for wanting this thing? Is the price fair?

http://www.jdmcarandmotorcycle.com/1992_Suzuki_Every_Seattle_WA_8822124.veh

AquaticIguana fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 15, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

AquaticIguana posted:

Am I crazy for wanting this thing? Is the price fair?

You aren't crazy no, kei vans are awesome. Everything about this one looks pretty good besides the rust that's apparent around various seams along the sliding door rails and along the rear door on the roof. While they probably didn't pay over $750 for it if you want one of these there isn't many alternatives unless you are going to import it yourself. Buying from a dealer like this provides you with a title already. The price they are charging is a bit high compared to other import places if only because of the rust, if it didn't have that then the price would be fair for it already being in the US.
You can buy one yourself through a place like https://www.japancardirect.com/ but you have to deal with shipping to the US, the cost with that, US customs and finally the DMV to title a vehicle for the first time. Upside is you can get one of these for maybe 2k if one comes up for auction all said and done and delivered to the port.
The only other thing I'd consider with a kei van in a place like Seattle is they aren't kings of hills while at speed. They can and easily will climb whatever you want them to but keep in mind if you are on the highway you will lose speed while climbing steeper gradients.

EDIT
I daily drive a 1990 Honda Acty kei van and paid 6200 for mine from Japanese Classics. Mine has zero rust, is 2WD and has working AC.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

You aren't crazy no, kei vans are awesome. Everything about this one looks pretty good besides the rust that's apparent around various seams along the sliding door rails and along the rear door on the roof. While they probably didn't pay over $750 for it if you want one of these there isn't many alternatives unless you are going to import it yourself. Buying from a dealer like this provides you with a title already. The price they are charging is a bit high compared to other import places if only because of the rust, if it didn't have that then the price would be fair for it already being in the US.
You can buy one yourself through a place like https://www.japancardirect.com/ but you have to deal with shipping to the US, the cost with that, US customs and finally the DMV to title a vehicle for the first time. Upside is you can get one of these for maybe 2k if one comes up for auction all said and done and delivered to the port.
The only other thing I'd consider with a kei van in a place like Seattle is they aren't kings of hills while at speed. They can and easily will climb whatever you want them to but keep in mind if you are on the highway you will lose speed while climbing steeper gradients.

EDIT
I daily drive a 1990 Honda Acty kei van and paid 6200 for mine from Japanese Classics. Mine has zero rust, is 2WD and has working AC.

Can an NA kei even keep up with 70mph US highway traffic? I haven't driven a kei van before, but the other keis I've taken on the highway have been pretty wrung out above 100kph (Japanese highway speed limit is 80kph so not a huge issue there). I did drive a turbo Move once that seemed nice and peppy, but it was on a tiny island where there was literally nowhere I could safely try and get it up to speed.

Kei vans are cool af, but 6k seems like a pretty fat margin for the importer, even if it does have low ks and AWD. That one does seem to have nicer creature conforts for rear passengers than most though.

Dug around on their site and of course there's an Africa Twin... good thing I'm not in the US anymore!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Can an NA kei even keep up with 70mph US highway traffic? I haven't driven a kei van before, but the other keis I've taken on the highway have been pretty wrung out above 100kph (Japanese highway speed limit is 80kph so not a huge issue there). I did drive a turbo Move once that seemed nice and peppy, but it was on a tiny island where there was literally nowhere I could safely try and get it up to speed.

Kei vans are cool af, but 6k seems like a pretty fat margin for the importer, even if it does have low ks and AWD. That one does seem to have nicer creature conforts for rear passengers than most though.

Dug around on their site and of course there's an Africa Twin... good thing I'm not in the US anymore!

I'm not sure about non-Honda vans but my Acty could, it can go north of 65mph but it really doesn't like to go faster than 55mph. The reason why though is because I have a 8500 redline but all the power is between 4 and 5k. Once you hit 5th gear and start crawling past 5k rpm it becomes a game of trying to conserve your speed because any movement will take it from you and it will take you a while to get it back. I also say could because I intentionally don't take it on the interstates. Where I am in Florida has lots of ways to get to places that isn't on the interstate and those are the ways I go. I do hit 55 often though and usually I'm leading off the line at lights. All 40 hp of fury.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
40hp?! My 72 beetle was 52hp and 1400 lbs with me in it. What's yours weigh? I could do 65 easy, 70 okay, and 75-80 in cool weather witlth quick reflexes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

40hp?! My 72 beetle was 52hp and 1400 lbs with me in it. What's yours weigh? I could do 65 easy, 70 okay, and 75-80 in cool weather witlth quick reflexes.

Probably around 1500 lbs or so. The reason it's so low on power is because it's a 660 cc 3 cylinder engine, 1990 was the first year kei class vehicles could be at 660, it had been 550cc since the 70s. Horsepower limit was also set at 64 HP in 1990 as well. Officially the top speed for my van is 71 mph, if it was the 4wd version the speed is lower. It will do 70 no problem provided you have the time. Also it's best if you have the windows down, not up, as the slab sides of the thing with it's low weight means the wind will push you around especially at speed.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I was going to mention the wind thing, if only because I use to have a 1300cc toyota liteace and that was scary at 100km/hr (not a kei van, it was 1300cc and ~1000kg). Just based on that and generally how unsafe vans are in a crash, I'd never drive a kei van like a suzuki carry or diahatsu hijet (E: not sure if honda, subaru or others were sold here but I remember the carry and hijet). I drive deathtraps but they have to be fun at least.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 15, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fo3 posted:

I drive deathtraps but they have to be fun at least.

???
But they are hella fun??

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1983-mercury-capri-rs/1279065584?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

Attention Collectors! Original Paint, upholstery and engine. First year of the bubbleback styling. These were TransAm series winning cars in the 80’s.
125,000 km
5.0L H.O.
4 speed manual shift
T-tops
Power steering, cruise, tilt, map light, graphic display warning system, digital clock, rear window defrost, sport performance seats.
The few cosmetic changes include Mustang wheels with locks, dual stainless steel exhaust, Boston front speakers, JVC CD player with removable face and nearly new BF Goodrich T/A tires.

If this ad is posted, the car is for sale.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fo3 posted:

I drive deathtraps but they have to be fun at least.

this is why the kei car i will be purchasing is the az-1 :q:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

financially racist posted:

this is why the kei car i will be purchasing is the az-1 :q:

:getin: October 1992 is when they started to be manufactured which means the very first ones will be legal for importation in October. You get a couple months of free storage at most ports in Japan too.
Really I'd like to sample a Beat and Capucinno as well but my heart pines for the AZ-1.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
How bad is the fuel economy in those 4WD kei vans? The only kei I actually owned was a Pajero Mini for a month as a cheap vacation runabout, which struggled to get 330ks out of a tank of mostly highway driving. By contrast I think I usually got something like 450+ out of the regular kei cars I drove.

Fo3 posted:

I was going to mention the wind thing, if only because I use to have a 1300cc toyota liteace and that was scary at 100km/hr (not a kei van, it was 1300cc and ~1000kg). Just based on that and generally how unsafe vans are in a crash, I'd never drive a kei van like a suzuki carry or diahatsu hijet (E: not sure if honda, subaru or others were sold here but I remember the carry and hijet). I drive deathtraps but they have to be fun at least.

I had an Atrai-7 (stretched version of the kei Atrai with a 1.3L), it was pretty decent on the highway, but boy howdy was it struggling in the mountains with 6 full-sized adults in it.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

How bad is the fuel economy in those 4WD kei vans? The only kei I actually owned was a Pajero Mini for a month as a cheap vacation runabout, which struggled to get 330ks out of a tank of mostly highway driving. By contrast I think I usually got something like 450+ out of the regular kei cars I drove.

I average upper 30s in MPG in my Acty, I assume it would be worse with 4wd. And I'm always wringing it out every time I drive it though so I'm not terribly surprised.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ebay, not Cl but hey, if ever I needed a reminder of why import laws suck rear end

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-Eunos-Cosmo-/322565027391?hash=item4b1a5fb63f:g:GvYAAOSw2gxY2ZPa&vxp=mtr

Edit: haha math, it's legal and I'm dumb and tired

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 16, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

KakerMix posted:

:getin: October 1992 is when they started to be manufactured which means the very first ones will be legal for importation in October. You get a couple months of free storage at most ports in Japan too.
Really I'd like to sample a Beat and Capucinno as well but my heart pines for the AZ-1.

cappuccinos are ok, also the diahatsu copen. The suzuki got a lot of press here after people started putting hayabusa engines in them. The diahastu I believe has some non kei engines that go in there already.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 16, 2017

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Daihatsu Copens won't be possible for a long time

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fo3 posted:

cappuccinos are ok, also the diahatsu copen. The suzuki got a lot of press here after people started putting hayabusa engines in them. The diahastu I believe has some non kei engines that go in there already.

The AZ-1 is a Cappuccino pretty much, just a different chassis and engine position. And it lacks the gull-wing doors. The Copen never really did anything for me, but

julian assflange posted:

Daihatsu Copens won't be possible for a long time

makes it moot anyway, we gotta wait 25 years. :(

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Non-Japanese Copens had a 1.3L engine with more power and a good deal more torque. If in the future you had to have one, they would be a better bet for US driving. That said I've never read great stuff about them, certainly not the same way people gush over AZs, Beats and Cappuccinos

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

julian assflange posted:

Non-Japanese Copens had a 1.3L engine with more power and a good deal more torque. If in the future you had to have one, they would be a better bet for US driving. That said I've never read great stuff about them, certainly not the same way people gush over AZs, Beats and Cappuccinos

Yeah, that's the same deal with the Suzuki Carry/APV that we get in Australia, I think the older ones got 880cc engines.

Just supposition, but I reckon it'd be somewhat more of a PITA to track down parts for those larger engines they put in the export keis since they never really existed on the JDM (that Atrai-7 I had was somewhat of an exception).

Fo3 posted:

What do they do for reverse gear on the 'busa engine? I remember seeing one that had been swapped into a classic Mini ages ago and that being one of the issues (I think it was a track car so the point was moot).

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

What do they do for reverse gear on the 'busa engine? I remember seeing one that had been swapped into a classic Mini ages ago and that being one of the issues (I think it was a track car so the point was moot).

Either you don't have one or you get a kit to replace one of the forward gears/add reverse.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

BigPaddy posted:

Either you don't have one or you get a kit to replace one of the forward gears/add reverse.

I figure when installed in anything like a classic mini, you'd be fine putting it in neutral and shoving it back with a foot out the door.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

julian assflange posted:

Maybe because they're FWD.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

VideoTapir posted:

Maybe because they're FWD.

If I was going to import a wacky FWD convertible, it'd be a Kia Elan.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Ebay, not Cl but hey, if ever I needed a reminder of why import laws suck rear end

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-Eunos-Cosmo-/322565027391?hash=item4b1a5fb63f:g:GvYAAOSw2gxY2ZPa&vxp=mtr

Edit: haha math, it's legal and I'm dumb and tired

Good god that is a good looking car, I don't even care about the rotary or *JDM cred.* I drove a dark green one in Gran Turismo 2 as a wee lad, it had too much power and handled like a boat.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DJ Commie posted:

If I was going to import a wacky FWD convertible, it'd be a Kia Elan.

Would be easier to find the Lotus one

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Probably easier to find parts for the Kia.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

julian assflange posted:

Would be easier to find the Lotus one

It wouldn't be a wacky personal import then, it'd be an unloved Isuzu with enough Lotus to badge it as one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I have a friend with the Lotus version. It handles like an ITR but is all civilized and not as revvy or roofy.