Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Man with Hat posted:

I'd also recommend the digitally colored versions on kissmanga for as far as they last.

I don't like it when they colorize manga.

anime was right posted:

the anime's pacing completely recontextualizes things (sometimes for the better), in the case of dressrosa, the manga has poor pacing towards the end, but the anime makes it way worse.

a lot of fights are better in the anime up until around thriller bark. my fave fight (luffy vs bellamy, luffy vs usopp) is a lot better in the anime
The anime took a nosedive after Thriller Bark. The animation and pacing became horrible. Especially during Marineford. Hell, even in Fishman Island what should be five minutes is one entire episode. And the intro is four minutes long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

punk rebel ecks posted:

This reminds me, should I start off with the first one? I mean, is the anime and manga different at all lore and plot wise?

There's only two things I can think of, off the top of my head, that you need to be corrected on from the anime.

First, Hody never, ever, was personally mistreated by humans. The anime added a scene where he and his crew were briefly caught by slavers. This did not happen and it undercuts the true darkness of Hody and his message.

Second, go back and at least skim through Marineford so you can witnesses the true power of Whitebeard. The anime severely undersells how much damage he took and kept on rolling. Akainu didn't just burn off half his moustache.

Edit: another thing, despite the anime deciding to add filler for time, Luffy absolutely stomped everyone he fought up until Doflamingo. I'm pretty sure the anime had him struggling against both Hody and Caesar.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 14, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My dude is only on Fishman Island

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah.....

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hody sucks and those spoilers don't matter imo

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

No Gyges didn't spoil much but it's worth remembering the guy is only at FI before you say too much or someone else reads it and assumes the guy has read further based off that post.

Like Gyges said the main problem apart from the awful padding and pacing is making certain fights that were walkovers in the manga look like big struggles. The point of the timeskip was that the Straw Hats took two years to really become crazy strong and the anime undercuts that by making them struggle when they shouldn't. It also makes it a problem when in the manga they finally have a tough fight you realise their opponent is a big deal but in the anime it's like "w/e he always struggles".

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Did Luffy struggled before the timeskip? He seemed to struggle a lot with the Thrillerbark Warlord for example.

Jose posted:

hody sucks and those spoilers don't matter imo

I like Hordy.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Crocodile was the same, I haven't watched a ton of the Skypeia episodes but from what I've seen Enel is more or less the same. Rob Lucci was the same in terms of how much Luffy struggles to win but the fight is a total of like 30 minutes in the anime when you cut all the scenes together, it takes loving forever.

I don't think I've ever watched thriller bark, but Luffy had to use combined powers of the ~100 shadows Lola's crew had gathered to beat Oars/Oz, and then had to punch Moria in the gut a bunch after to finally beat him. If that lines up with what you remember from watching then they're probably pretty similar.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It kinda got lost on how great everything was but I really liked the panels with Baron Count Chicken yelling about the chateau falling down.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i would think a castle's worth of whipped cream and spongecake could still do a lot of damage

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i would think a castle's worth of whipped cream and spongecake could still do a lot of damage

depends on the air content!!!

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Gyges posted:

First, Hody never, ever, was personally mistreated by humans. The anime added a scene where he and his crew were briefly caught by slavers. This did not happen and it undercuts the true darkness of Hody and his message.

And they stretched out the Luffy vs Hody fight to make it seem like a close fight, when the whole point of the arc was to show how much the Strawhats improved. Anime shows Luffy almost die to those water sharks, while in the manga he dodged/blocked every attack besides the bite he took protecting Shirahoshi.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Last I checked the colorized one piece chapters look weird because there's an incredibly obvious white outline around every character. And checking now, that doesn't appear to have changed at all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Can he fly tho

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EmmyOk posted:

My bad, for some reason I thought he said he'd watched up to the latest anime episode.

Regy Rusty posted:

Can he fly tho

Conor can do whatever he believes he can. He possess the full powers of the The Secret and is also known to employ Miss Goldenweek to help him win.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lmao

Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

tsob posted:

I don't doubt he could, my point was that Streussel's ingredients aren't standard; they're less than.

I don't disagree with you, but they can be made IMMEDIATELY, so Sanji can cook the cake up IMMEDIATELY. IIRC Jimbe found some random croquembouche tourists to calm Biggie before, and they were just soylent green .

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jesse James posted:

I don't disagree with you, but they can be made IMMEDIATELY, so Sanji can cook the cake up IMMEDIATELY. IIRC Jimbe found some random croquembouche tourists to calm Biggie before, and they were just soylent green .

They're gonna beat big mom with lead poisoning

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kild posted:

They're gonna beat big mom with lead poisoning

worked for whitebeard

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Eopia posted:

Last I checked the colorized one piece chapters look weird because there's an incredibly obvious white outline around every character. And checking now, that doesn't appear to have changed at all.

I find the colour choices the most offensive. Every coloured scene of OP has the entire rainbow spectrum on it. I wish the animators would choose a colour mood for gently caress sakes.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Cat Machine posted:

On the plus side arguing about this has led to me re-reading the chapters where they find out Raizo is safe and Luffy baits Momo into asking for help, Zou loving owned folks

Yeah, no kidding.

Every time I read/watch the "Raizou is safe!" part, I start choking back tears. It's a loving powerful emotional moment, holy poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

worked for whitebeard

I think Whitebeards biggest problem was the severe overheating.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm pretty sure his biggest problem was simply age and that his body was starting to fail, sometimes at crucial moments (Marineford has a few if I recall) as his health became worse. The heat didn't help obviously, but I really can't imagine him having a problem with it in his prime.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Even in his prime, a double dose of deep thoracic heat treatment followed by sub-cranial heat treatment would probably cause some issues. I don't know that even Zoro could tank that.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
no one who wasnt a yonkou could naturally tank it without a devil fruit power somehow mitigating it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

tsob posted:

I'm pretty sure his biggest problem was simply age and that his body was starting to fail, sometimes at crucial moments (Marineford has a few if I recall) as his health became worse. The heat didn't help obviously, but I really can't imagine him having a problem with it in his prime.

When Squalo stabs Whitebeard unexpectedly from point blank range Marco comments that he should easily have stopped it and that the sickness must have gotten even worse than they thought. So yeah Whitebeard in his prime is just absurd to think about.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Remember when Squard powered up Whitebeard?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

When Squalo stabs Whitebeard unexpectedly from point blank range Marco comments that he should easily have stopped it and that the sickness must have gotten even worse than they thought. So yeah Whitebeard in his prime is just absurd to think about.

Considering that Whitebeard evaded attacks from Ace while asleep, that he would have dodged Squard's attack if he was healthy goes without saying.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

Even in his prime, a double dose of deep thoracic heat treatment followed by sub-cranial heat treatment would probably cause some issues. I don't know that even Zoro could tank that.

I meant more that in his prime Akainu wouldn't have been able to give him those injuries rather that he'd have brushed them off if he'd still received them.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Lpzie posted:

Remember when Squard powered up Whitebeard?

The Whitebeard war had the best goddamn stupid theories

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

People's tax dollars hard at work:

What I checked out after finishing the last two chapters of Volume 64:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Yeah, no kidding.

Every time I read/watch the "Raizou is safe!" part, I start choking back tears. It's a loving powerful emotional moment, holy poo poo.

I still can't believe how thoroughly Oda managed to get me to believe that they didn't have him, that they were being hosed over for nothing but cruelty for cruelty's sake by Kaido's men. In hindsight, it was an obvious turn, but in the moment, I was stunned.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

I still can't believe how thoroughly Oda managed to get me to believe that they didn't have him, that they were being hosed over for nothing but cruelty for cruelty's sake by Kaido's men. In hindsight, it was an obvious turn, but in the moment, I was stunned.

I figured something had to be up since both Kaido's people and the samurai were convinced he was there, but I thought he'd be hiding from the animal people as well and was as worried as the Straw Hats about what would happen if the truth came out. So yeah that reveal got me too.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMZwYcHSO0M

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
some people named their band after franky, i guess

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Let's see, stopped reading the manga sometime last May? But I heard there's gonna be a One Piece magazine now or something? And that's it's officially 20 years old now?

Jesus Christ.

I should probably catch up. Last chapter I read was when Luffy nearly killed himself and then Sanji's siblings found 'em and saved him, anyone know what chapter that was?

Eh I'll just start at 800 and work my way through 'em all tonight.

EDIT: "Let us play a game of Death!" yeah that's not creepy at all

EDIT2: Oooooh so that's why there were a bunch of giant kids on Punk Hazard. God drat Ceaser was jerking around Big Mom, Kaido AND Doflamingo? Either he had massive, massive balls or had no idea how in over his head he really was...

Also loving lol Luffy rounds up a bunch of clones because of course he does

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 16, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

anime was right posted:

some people named their band after franky, i guess

cutty flam is a pretty good name for an indie band

song's not bad either

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Chapter 838: :stare: holy gently caress it hasn't even been ten chapters and they've already hosed up in every possible way. also it looks like Big Mom's intel network can talk directly to her hat... jesus, put a lamp with a soul on a marine's desk, make one of the sails of the Thousand Sunny alive, her spies could literally be anything... she's basically omnipotent

Chapter 839: :catstare: excuse me the gently caress is that

Chapter 841: I see the efforts to one-up the last childhood flashback are still in effect. Though I'm pretty sure Law's "I hid in a field full of dead children" is still on top of that pile. also luffy what the gently caress

EDIT:

Chapter 844: my emotions

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Don't her homies all have obvious anthropomorphic features like faces? Can't really see them as good spy material given how simple it is to tell when one is around if that's true.