Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a way I can make Engineer tolerable when I don't want to play a speed demon variant of whack-a-mole? Putting out a lot of damage is fine but doing meta events, story, or just random events I care more about living and not seeing how much torture my 1 button can take before giving out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

nessin posted:

Is there a way I can make Engineer tolerable when I don't want to play a speed demon variant of whack-a-mole? Putting out a lot of damage is fine but doing meta events, story, or just random events I care more about living and not seeing how much torture my 1 button can take before giving out.

I enjoy Engi solely because I don't play it optimally. 2 pistols, rocket boots, and a bunch of home-made "elixirs" that are totally not straight up drugs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

nessin posted:

Is there a way I can make Engineer tolerable when I don't want to play a speed demon variant of whack-a-mole?

Scrapper (for real)

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Scrapper (for real)

This. Take the meta raid/instance build and just tear out the Tools line for Scrapper. Pick the obvious survivability boosting traits (Recov Matrix, Rapid Regen, Adaptive Armour).

You don't even have to swap any skills. Take a purge or bulwark gyro if you're extra lazy.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Oh, two other questions: Thief, good for PvE or not? Especially Sword Thief? And second, I'm in an european world, can I join the goonguild and bask in your obvious superior prowess?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Iceclaw posted:

Oh, two other questions: Thief, good for PvE or not? Especially Sword Thief?
No idea, sorry.

Iceclaw posted:

And second, I'm in an european world, can I join the goonguild and bask in your obvious superior prowess?
You can join guild chat, but you won't be able to play together unless you transfer to Mag if you want to WvW or at least some US server if not.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Iceclaw posted:

Oh, two other questions: Thief, good for PvE or not? Especially Sword Thief? And second, I'm in an european world, can I join the goonguild and bask in your obvious superior prowess?

Thief is still in a weird spot where other classes tend to outshine whatever it can do and usually with less hassle.
That being said, it's fun to flip around and be a colossal pain in the rear end.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I've enjoyed playing Daredevil staff with the healing signet, so you pretty much have to DPS everything all the time to stay alive and if you ever stop attacking then you die. Plus flipping around and whacking idiots is fun.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Sword Thief kind of sucks overall, but dagger/dagger condition and staff power are top tier PvE DPS builds. Dagger/pistol is the typical PvP setup.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Forgall posted:

No idea, sorry.

You can join guild chat, but you won't be able to play together unless you transfer to Mag if you want to WvW or at least some US server if not.

To my knowledge there's actually more of a split than that between US and EU servers and you can't actually join NA guilds if you're on an EU server. I could be wrong.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

To my knowledge there's actually more of a split than that between US and EU servers and you can't actually join NA guilds if you're on an EU server. I could be wrong.

I thought you could join the guilds but can't see guild chat or play with people.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Vidmaster posted:

I thought you could join the guilds but can't see guild chat or play with people.

That could be it, the guild is technically visible but you can't interact with it.

Quitte
Nov 2, 2011

nee-deep

Forgall is right, you can definitely join NA guilds and see and use guild chat if you are on EU servers (other way around works too of course). You can't do anything else though.

Quitte fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 16, 2017

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

For you necros out there, do you run around doing open world stuff in viper setup, or should I make a berserker/marauder set for it. I mean I know "anything can work", but is the difference big enough to notice?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Eltoasto posted:

For you necros out there, do you run around doing open world stuff in viper setup, or should I make a berserker/marauder set for it. I mean I know "anything can work", but is the difference big enough to notice?

I used zerker until I got full vipers. It doesn't really matter what you use since you can faceroll most content. Some of the HoT elites gave me problems, but those aren't really a problem after you know how they work and how your skills work. As long as you know the class, you can do pretty much anything solo.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Power is better for open world content but switching to viper's for really hard elites or whatever is a good idea because I believe Viper's is better DPS than power in like 90% of classes.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Even though I have a max level mesmer, when I get back I want to try something new. I liked elementalist and thief but they seem squishy and easy to kill. I wanna focus on pve and a balance between simplicity and challenge in rotation. I don't like super long or complex rotations (I thought that shaman and unholy do was challenging in Eod wow) or brain dead 2 button spam (beast mastery in WOD).

I do generally like casters or range. Really, I'm open to anything. What class should I gently caress around with when I get the game installed?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

vandalism posted:

Even though I have a max level mesmer, when I get back I want to try something new. I liked elementalist and thief but they seem squishy and easy to kill. I wanna focus on pve and a balance between simplicity and challenge in rotation. I don't like super long or complex rotations (I thought that shaman and unholy do was challenging in Eod wow) or brain dead 2 button spam (beast mastery in WOD).

I do generally like casters or range. Really, I'm open to anything. What class should I gently caress around with when I get the game installed?

Reaper

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh yeah I always wanted to ask ever since they brought raids into this game: what exactly are the rewards for it, since we are talking about GW2 here. Besides that it can be fun beating challenges together with other people.

In WoW/other games it's always top tier gear/unique mounts, but what do you get in GW2?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ultimately all the raids lead to is a good chance at ascended gear or things to get you on your way of making a set of incredibly ugly legendary armor

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

oh I didn't even know legendary armor was a thing, that answers my question at least

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Johnny Joestar posted:

ultimately all the raids lead to is a good chance at ascended gear or things to get you on your way of making a set of incredibly ugly legendary armor

The best part of the legendary armor is that you can transmute it. (right?)

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

lucifirius posted:

The best part of the legendary armor is that you can transmute it. (right?)

I think the heavy armor set looks fantastic. I think you could do some interesting things with pieces of the light and medium sets too, but yeah, I wouldn't run it as a set for pretty princessing.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I personally don't plan on getting any legendary any time soon, though the easy stat changing would be very useful to future proof a character. Armor especially would be nice since it's easier to get ascended weapons/cheap to stat change 2-3 things instead of a full set of armor.

Legendary trinkets, rings, etc. when?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

Don't forget that working towards the legendary armor also gives you a whole other set of ascended armor, which is pretty nice.

In general raids give really good money, an exotic and a rare per boss, plus a nice pile of bags and some cool minis and the occasional free ascended item. They're also a good challenge and there are some really fun fights in there.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Ugh I can't remember my password and I put in my serial # from when I bought it in like 2012 (on an old rear end email account even!) and it's still not working. I send them a ticket. I guess I had my poo poo changed last year and I don't even remember doing that. Hope they can get poo poo going. The whole password reset system didn't do anything. I put in all the relevant info and it said invalid fields :(

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Per boss: one guaranteed exotic per weekly kill, a chunk of xp that isn't worth it, some mag shards for exchanging into gear or cosmetics, a chance for those cosmetics to drop

Long-term: doing required tasks in each boss fight lights up portions of a collection leading you to legendary armour, which is stat-switchable and doesn't destroy old runes when you apply new ones

the fights are fun and adding raids to the game hasn't detracted from the incontinent drip feed of regular content so treat them as a fairly enjoyable extra

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the most important thing to note is that the only thing gated by raids is the legendary armor, so if someone never has the urge to do them then they're never going to really be missing out on anything important, because ascended is pretty much the highest anyone is ever realistically going to need for anything in the game.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

legendary armor takes ages to get, it is also very expensive and has multiple timegates

as a hardcore RAID MASTER i almost have 3!!!! of these sets which isnt enough to soothe my furious tism

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The raids themselves are at least fun even if the timegate is pretty long.

The worst part of legend armour are the dumb provisioner tokens.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Nothing says you're good at a video game like the ability to fulfill a shopping list of daily meaningless tasks for multiple weeks

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I won't be able to make Monday raids because of work :(

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Friends, any idea why the launcher would crash when trying to get arc dps to run for the first time? As soon as I hit "play" it throws an error and shuts down.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
It's probably because you're running a dps meter.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Fifteen of Many posted:

Friends, any idea why the launcher would crash when trying to get arc dps to run for the first time? As soon as I hit "play" it throws an error and shuts down.

Make sure you've got the latest version, and you've got the arcdps.ini file in the right spot.

It's also possible that your imgui.ini file isn't setup with Write permissions (it sits awkwardly in the Guild Wars 2 Program Files folder next to Gw2.exe).

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Make sure you've got the latest version, and you've got the arcdps.ini file in the right spot.

It's also possible that your imgui.ini file isn't setup with Write permissions (it sits awkwardly in the Guild Wars 2 Program Files folder next to Gw2.exe).

I don't appear to have an imgui.ini file at all in my GW2 folder. Hmm. The installer suggested that the arcdps.ini was created automatically with just a dll needing to be dropped in the bin file, but I'll try placing it manually.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 18, 2017

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Fifteen of Many posted:

I don't appear to have an imgui.ini file at all in my GW2 folder. Hmm.

It's supposed to be created on first run, or the first time you use the new UI (which I think is enforced now).

If it's not generating I think you can just make an empty text file called imgui.ini there, make sure everyone has write permissions, and it should get filled out on launch.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Trailer for Ep6 is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_VNG6N2evU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Next Living Story episode July 25th.

Save the World, Save Tyria.

Edit: We might ally with Margonites an undead lich from Elona since the voice over said "unlikely allies" while they were on screen. The Lich was wearing an Elonian styled headdress there in the beginning.

UchihaHirou fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 18, 2017

• Locked thread