Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So how likely does it seem at this point that Macron actually pushes through a substantial neoliberalization of the French economy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
He's got absolute power to do so. Absolute majority in the Assemblée, a right-wing Senate that will only ever work to make things more hosed for workers, state of emergency laws that give cops full range to go all-out on the crushing of protestor's skulls, the absolute conviction that they're doing the right thing and no one to answer to but Gattaz.

Plus with executive orders, you know that things are going to go very bad very fast.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

ElNarez posted:

He's got absolute power to do so. Absolute majority in the Assemblée, a right-wing Senate that will only ever work to make things more hosed for workers, state of emergency laws that give cops full range to go all-out on the crushing of protestor's skulls, the absolute conviction that they're doing the right thing and no one to answer to but Gattaz.

Plus with executive orders, you know that things are going to go very bad very fast.

So Le Pen 2022 is what you're saying

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
So Netanyahu is in France to commemorate the Rafle du Vel d'Hiv. As usual, Macron said a thing:

https://twitter.com/franceinfo/status/886533809709121537

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Kassad posted:

So Netanyahu is in France to commemorate the Rafle du Vel d'Hiv. As usual, Macron said a thing:

https://twitter.com/franceinfo/status/886533809709121537

nice, he's an isreal bootlicker. isn't that rarer in europe than the us?

can't imagine this and him sucking up to trump is making anyone happy with him

edit: well, maybe lepen bros?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Lightning Lord posted:

Yes, the long term consequences of his policies might also hurt rich people.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

It was already shifty as hell to announce that it wouldn't be "pragmatic" to recognise the Palestinian state right now even though he supposedly supports a two-state solution, but going from that to accusing anti-Zionists of being Nazis is uh, certainly a leap.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/TerraXL1/status/886539536028901377

heh

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Palestinians are poor and therefore do not deserve to be considered to be people.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lightning Lord posted:

Le Pen won in 2017

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Macron is probably alluding to the dieudonné compatible crowd and their wink wink antisionism and not to imaginary nazis.

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 17, 2017

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Macron is probably alluding to the dieudonné compatible crowd and their wink wink antisionism and not to imaginary nazis.

No, sorry, "we will not give in to messages of hatred, to antisionism, for it is the reinvented form of antisemitism" is about as clear as it gets. He's in no way alluding only to certain groups like Dieudonné and his band of assholes.

And, I mean, it's not surprising, I just realized he's directly addressing Netanyahu there. Saying what his audience of the moment wants to hear, as usual.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kassad posted:

Saying what his audience of the moment wants to hear, as usual.
Yeah but at that game of only saying what people want to hear, sooner or later he may end up creating enough contradictions to gently caress himself up.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah but at that game of only saying what people want to hear, sooner or later he may end up creating enough contradictions to gently caress himself up.

In that sense he's the living embodiment of capitalism

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The problem is that he's willfully conflating the Dieudonné crowd with anyone else who opposes Israel.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Who is Dieudonné? Is it the actor who was in a live action Asterix movie that shows up when I google that name? Is he an antisemitic politician too?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

R. Mute posted:

The problem is that he's willfully conflating the Dieudonné crowd with anyone else who opposes Israel.

just like Netanyahu wants.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

Who is Dieudonné? Is it the actor who was in a live action Asterix movie that shows up when I google that name? Is he an antisemitic politician too?

A French comic who's been associating with the FN and the negationist crowd in the past ten years or so. He's also been close to the catholic fundamentalists and a bunch of other nutters.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
basically our equivalent of the alt-right

there was even the innocuous gestures turned into nazi symbol poo poo

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

To be fair his innocuous gesture was as close to a Nazi salute as you could get while remaining legally distinct.

Although I do remember a few CHUDs at la fête de l'Huma trying to explain to me that it was just a bras d'honneur and I was being hysterical because of the lamestream media a few years back. vOv

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Toplowtech posted:

He's unlikely to contradict himself on that point if Trudeau and Merkel are any indication (except in faux "I love muslims" political statements that paper over their foreign policy being a contributor to suffering in the muslim world)

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Dieudonné used to be cool

And now he sucks rear end bigly

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

lost in postation posted:

A French comic who's been associating with the FN and the negationist crowd in the past ten years or so. He's also been close to the catholic fundamentalists and a bunch of other nutters.
He used to work alongside a now insanely famous Jewish comic. Also he is black and published a book about the death threat letters he used to get from the crazy racists he now works with/for. Also he is the man behind the antisemetic quenelle gesture. From Semoun to Soral. :rolleyes: Also he is a Mahmoud Ahmadinejad admirer.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 17, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
To go back on the army budget cut thing, Bloomberg is owning Macron something fierce

quote:

Macron has embarked on a spell of budgetary austerity, a move that will hurt growth but is being pursued out of a misplaced desire to meet the European Union's arbitrary 3 percent deficit target.

<snip>

Implausibly, Macron also said that the boost was "in no way" due to "certain comments that were made." He obfuscated on the question of whether this year's cuts were to go ahead, but the speech clearly represented a substantial climb-down for the new president

<snip>

It's also odd because there's no economic rationale for deficit reduction at the moment. Macron was privileging arbitrary budget rules from Brussels over economic logic.

Too bad the article still ends up with the old and busted mantra about civil service and wellfare being "bloated"; but well, Bloomberg.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

quote:

If any part of the French government needs to be cut, it's the bloated civil service, and a welfare sector that has grown and grown at the expense of basic government services, such as law and order. But that would be a tall order for a man who came up through the very bureaucracy that needs trimming, and who consistently defends the interests of its ruling class. Macron should fully fund the military, promote growth rather than austerity, and reduce the power of the énarques.

"Shrink the civil service! No, not the parts that crack people's skulls and bomb foreign countries!" :shepspends:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kassad posted:

"Shrink the civil service! No, not the parts that crack people's skulls and bomb foreign countries!" :shepspends:

Are You Being Severed?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That reference is going right over my head.

Meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/VGautron/status/887222295596421120?s=09

"Are you leading us towards despotism?"
"lol maybe"

"Despotisme doux" is referring to ideas laid down by Tocqueville in writings like these.

quote:

Si, à ce moment critique, un ambitieux habile vient à s’emparer du pouvoir, il trouve que la voie à toutes les usurpations est ouverte.

:popeye:

Edit: So this just happened

https://twitter.com/MarkoA_Ramius/status/887575915378638848

Kassad fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 19, 2017

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Collomb is such an authoritarian piece of poo poo and it's worrying me. The amount of police violence he'll give a pass to will make Cazeneuve and Valls look like goddamn Care Bears.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Kassad posted:

That reference is going right over my head.

It's a bad pun based on this British comedy.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

same

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
The powers, imposed after attacks in Paris left 130 dead in November 2015, allow security forces to monitor suspects and carry out searches without warrants, place suspects under house arrest, and ban public gatherings.

Since the state of emergency was declared, authorities have issued 155 decrees prohibiting public assembly, and imposed 639 measures preventing specific individuals from taking part in demonstrations, Amnesty said.

Of those, the majority targeted people protesting labour law reforms. A raft of measures were also brought in to curb demonstrations following this month's presidential elections.

"Emergency laws intended to protect the French people from the threat of terrorism are instead being used to restrict their rights to protest peacefully," said Marco Perolini, Amnesty International's researcher on France.

"Under the cover of the state of emergency, rights to protest have been stripped away with hundreds of activists, environmentalists, and labour rights campaigners unjustifiably banned from participating in protests."

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

tekz posted:

The powers, imposed after attacks in Paris left 130 dead in November 2015, allow security forces to monitor suspects and carry out searches without warrants, place suspects under house arrest, and ban public gatherings.

Since the state of emergency was declared, authorities have issued 155 decrees prohibiting public assembly, and imposed 639 measures preventing specific individuals from taking part in demonstrations, Amnesty said.

Of those, the majority targeted people protesting labour law reforms. A raft of measures were also brought in to curb demonstrations following this month's presidential elections.

"Emergency laws intended to protect the French people from the threat of terrorism are instead being used to restrict their rights to protest peacefully," said Marco Perolini, Amnesty International's researcher on France.

"Under the cover of the state of emergency, rights to protest have been stripped away with hundreds of activists, environmentalists, and labour rights campaigners unjustifiably banned from participating in protests."

Can you link the site when you post stuff like this?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There were 3000+ warrantless searches in the first few months of the state of emergency, and the vast majority led to jack poo poo (guess the religion of most of the people the police "visited" :ssh:). Cazeneuve even had to remind the prefets to chill out, it was starting to become a little too obvious.

Edit: With a source. 3021 searches, 464 offenses found as a result, of which 25 had to do with terrorism. No terrorism charges except in 4 cases. And half of the searches were conducted at night, which is normally not allowed.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 19, 2017

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/jamescheron/status/887243658499588096/photo/1

I swear to god it's funnier than it should be. I mean jesus the level of discussion we are reaching is loving low as gently caress.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 19, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If I were mayor I'd just use a pair of scissors instead of buying a new frame.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Toplowtech posted:

https://twitter.com/jamescheron/status/887243658499588096/photo/1

I swear to god it's funnier than it should be. I mean jesus the level of discussion we are reaching is loving low as gently caress.

Just slice the top off with a guillotine to fit in the old format, no one will notice.

Granted it won't feel as good as the real thing but it's a start

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 19, 2017

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That's actually hilarious.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Just slice the top off with a guillotine to fit in the old format, no one will notice.

Granted it won't feel as good as the real thing but it's a start

He made himself this Procrustean bed and now he mist lie in it.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Trump's take on Macron:

quote:

HABERMAN: He was very deferential to you. Very.

TRUMP: He’s a great guy. Smart. Strong. Loves holding my hand.

HABERMAN: I’ve noticed.

TRUMP: People don’t realize he loves holding my hand. And that’s good, as far as that goes.

_________

TRUMP: I mean, really. He’s a very good person. And a tough guy, but look, he has to be. I think he is going to be a terrific president of France. But he does love holding my hand.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/19/us/politics/trump-interview-transcript.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Macron is a real miracle worker, he's managing to make me like Trump.