Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm not reading Titans but the first time this was torn to shreds I pointed out that since there are a ton of Flashes that Run Fast it would be interesting (however temporarily) to explore how someone could use the Speed Force in ways that do not require running/stress on the heart/whatever. In fairness, the people who thought that was dumb poo poo and I'm a dumb poo poo and Priest is a dumb poo poo and poo poo is poo poo and dumbshit is lovely have stayed pretty consistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It's not like that's a new idea, though. Hunter Zolomon was doing it 15 years ago. They did it again with Eobard Thawne in that garbage Venditti Flash run. This isn't groundbreaking and it just further serves to separate Wally from being Wally so Barry can be Wally.

And yes, the dumb pacemaker poo poo made the comic a chore because half of the comic was the Titans going BUT WALLY TAKE IT EASY YOUR HEART. The other half was the world's most generic villain and relationship drama.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Like I said, I'm not reading Titans. "Figuring out new things to do with the Speed Force" is a good idea if you're deadset on having like forty speedsters. If this is literally the Zolomon thing from Johns's run, recycling the only other trick extant is not a very good execution of that. Though again, from the sound of it the non-Wally part wasn't very good either, so it seems more like "a bad comic doing things badly" than "a bad idea dragging down a good comic".

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The gunman in the theater was Wally. But that's not this. That's just how normal superspeed would be perceived. This is specifically time magically stopping because the Speed Force is being weird because his heart is acting up. Existing in what feels like frozen time is a pretty typical Flash visual storytelling device but that's different from "My heart's bad so now time stops."

Like I said earlier, my interpretation is that the Speed Force is speeding Wally up whenever his heart rate gets too high to give him a chance to calm down and thus lessen the risk of a heart attack (after he's in action after the initial time stop he even comments that his heart rate slowed and things started moving again, IIRC (E: just checked, yeah, he says "as my heart rate fell, the world kicked back into gear")), which is why I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt that this is just an extrapolation on the "Speed Force slows everything down because the speedster's life is in danger" schtick we've seen in action before.

Eh, YMMV I suppose.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Red Hood And The Outlaws #12 Sells Out. Is A Second Printing On The Way?

I’m not saying it was just the cover to Red Hood And The Outlaws #12 that led it to sell out. But it may have been enough for many folk to pick it up, have a flick through, then add it to this week’s purchases. Either way, it has been reordered enough by retailers from Diamond Comic Distributors to see it sell out on the week of release. The cover reprises the famous Death Of Superman #75 black bag cover, though reversed to indicate the subject matter as Bizarro Superman instead. With the story titled “The Life Of Bizarro”. A poignant and heroic story, it has also resonated quite a degree with readers, and is DC Comics’ highest rated title this week on Comic Book Round Up, an average score of 9.1 from 111 reviews.

Normally this would be enough to see a second printing whipped up. But DC Comics prefer to use those on titles that they are more keen to promote. And Red Hood And The Outlaws has never really been one of those. Even when the current iteration of the book was announced in DC Rebirth with the stage presentation, even though the writer Scott lobdell was in the room, he wasn’t invited on stage as other creators were, and the book was skipped over with a series of “and other books coming out” slides rather than the on-stage interviews and announcements.

It also comes at a time when Scott Lobdell’s star hasn’t been higher, with his movie Happy Death Day out for Friday the 13th in October, with its official trailer knocking up over 3.5 million views on YouTube.

Though I prefer to refer to it as Groundhog Slay.

But the whole situation reminds me a little of the film Moneyball. The idea that if you crunch the numbers you can find unappreciated talent whose work outperforms the appreciation that the employers and commissioners have for them. I think Red Hood And The Outlaws may have the potential to be one of those comic books.

(Last Updated July 14, 2017 5:10 am )

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/14/red-hood-outlaws-12-second-printing/#disqus_thread

:dance:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah let's ignore the fact that there were massive damages reported on the book and that's why the stock was depleted.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah let's ignore the fact that there were massive damages reported on the book and that's why the stock was depleted.

Let him have this...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
:shrug:

Either way this is getting more attention to the book, so I don't really care about the reasons behinds the shortage.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

When I was 11, for Christmas, my parents bought me a copy of Uncanny X-Men 304 signed by Scott Lobdell off of the home shopping channel. At the time I thought, surely this is the absolute peak of Scott Lobdell's career, what heights can a writer scale after this?

If only I had known.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rhyno posted:

I think you mean they were sold to the recycling plant

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Mr Hootington posted:

I think you mean they were sold to the recycling plant

They couldn't even sell them to the plant. They had to donate them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It also comes at a time when Scott Lobdell’s star hasn’t been higher, with his movie Happy Death Day out for Friday the 13th in October, with its official trailer knocking up over 3.5 million views on YouTube. 

quote:

Happy Death Day

:barf:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

It will be a travesty when it gets overlooked for Oscar nominations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Azbats, people!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

It will be a travesty when it gets overlooked for Oscar nominations.

Remember we're living in the world of Academy AwardTM-winning film Suicide Squad.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember we're living in the world of Academy AwardTM-winning film Suicide Squad.

Thats like a less funny version of hugo nominated chuck tingle.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

Also Academy Award nominated movie Norbit.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Azbats, people!

I have never heard the term Batzrael before. I hope they stick with Azbats.

Edit: vv True.

catlord fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, I'm sure the comic wont use either :shrug:

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Okay so I'm confused as gently caress. I just finished The Casting and while I liked it, it just presents so many questions. I'm not well versed in the N52. I'll spoiler this just to be on the safe side.

So that's Carter and Shiera back. That's cool. But that does mean there are two Hawkmen? Original in Carter and then the Thanagarian Katar Hol who died in Death of Hawkman?

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 16, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just noticed a goof in the last Super Sons. Damian says some bratish thing and Alfred quips "This is why I never had children."
Meanwhile Julia Pennyworth is still prominent in Batwoman.

I guess it isn't edited by the Bat-office, but c'mon.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Boy, I sure hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It would be astounding if that's what gets him.

Like Al Capone getting arrested for tax evasion.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Heh. Tomasi is usually really on top of that kind of thing, having once been an editor himself. Guess you can't catch 'em all. :japan:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alfred never had children, he only sired them.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just noticed a goof in the last Super Sons. Damian says some bratish thing and Alfred quips "This is why I never had children."

Yeah I hope they change that for trade, but probably not.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought it was him just being a dick to Damian

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Counterpoint: Did he actually raise Julia? Or is he just her dad? I don't remember if that actually came up.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Alfred calls Bruce "my son" in the narration of the last two issues of All-Star Batman.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

How did that Dark Knight Returns 3 pan out?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Sinners Sandwich posted:

How did that Dark Knight Returns 3 pan out?

It was kind of just a generic superhero story to be honest. The bottle Kryptonians get out and are mean, Batman and Superman team up to fight them, other heroes get involved. Very little political stuff or deeper themes to analyze, just a standard superhero battle. I enjoyed it fine for what it was, the backups featuring The Atom, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman's daughter were fun asides.

I think it sold pretty well given the delays involved in publishing it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The best part was the DKR prequel one-shot, Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade. Just read that.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

pubic works project posted:

Okay so I'm confused as gently caress. I just finished The Casting and while I liked it, it just presents so many questions. I'm not well versed in the N52. I'll spoiler this just to be on the safe side.

So that's Carter and Shiera back. That's cool. But that does mean there are two Hawkmen? Original in Carter and then the Thanagarian Katar Hol who died in Death of Hawkman?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You're probably right. Nobody ever knows what's going on with Hawkman. He gets rebooted more than Donna Troy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

More importantly nobody cares. Hawkman sucks.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't know, a superhero with the power of flight, thats pretty novel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't know, a superhero with the power of flight, thats pretty novel.

Also the power to carry a big mace!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Forget it, Jake. It's Thanagar.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

X-O posted:

More importantly nobody cares. Hawkman sucks.

I care. I like Hawkman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Movie pitch: A 12 year old Hawk-boy experiences angst and self doubt, as well as adventure with friends and hijinks, as he prepares to become Hawk-man at his fast approaching Thanagar-mitzvah.