Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Archonex posted:

From what i've seen first hand Geist is honestly a pretty good game that's hamstrung by the fact that most of it's antagonists and things to do are located in other books. Which is a shame, since what content we got was pretty neat. More content would be great to help fix that though.

I mean, take the example of Abmortals. Beings that obtain immortality by preying on other beings, sometimes the dead. It's a great concept to contrast Geists with. Or vampires! Which are listed as being something that constantly piss off Geists due to their victims wanting closure or revenge and bothering them about it. And yet they're both in a whole different book that you have to have to get detailed rules on.

It's the same problem that Hunter runs into. A lot of really detailed rules are listed in other books and you kind of have to wing it otherwise. Except it's easy to imagine a bunch of plucky humans going after (insert mythological monster here) and design whole new antagonists accordingly. Some people have a harder time trying to figure out what a bunch of newly resurrected ghosty uber goths are going to go after now that they have super powers.

Funnily enough, the solution I saw someone try to engineer was re-enacting The Crow with a group of players instead of one mopey ghost man.

I thought the correct way to run Geist was to simply reflavor some things and run Persona?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I remember there being some kinda balance thing with Geists but I have no recollection what it was.

But yeah, more then anything else, with Geist, you kinda have to set up some kinda plotline in advance with your players. Geist is cool as gently caress... but there's really just not much of a conflict there to resolve.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Do any nWoD books give much details on any rank 8+ spirits?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Do any nWoD books give much details on any rank 8+ spirits?

Imperial Mysteries goes into them a little and gives you a framework to stat them up, though in the context of Mage and its arcana.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mendrian posted:

Actually you were spared the details of the aforementioned short fiction piece.

The term "groin's blood" features in it.

For bringing that up again you are going to have a timeout in the corner, lying in your own smear.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 16, 2017

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ProfessorCirno posted:

I remember there being some kinda balance thing with Geists but I have no recollection what it was.

iirc I think it had something to do with Boneyard Manifestation being broken as poo poo.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Slimnoid posted:

iirc I think it had something to do with Boneyard Manifestation being broken as poo poo.
It's a couple things:
- Boneyard making it easy to become effectively omniscient and capable of using any powers that aren't Rage (more on that in a second) on people within a radius that, even at chargen, is usually as big as where the meat of any given conflict could take place. Oh and you get a bonus equal to your successes on the roll to establish your Boneyard, to any rolls of Manifestations using the same key (so if you use your spooky water powers after setting up spooky water area).
- Plasm (their pool-stat like Vitae) starts at 14 at power stat 1 and goes up to 30 at power stat 5 and 100 and stat 10. This is important because they can downgrade any damage to bashing-you-take-at-the-end-of-the-scene 1:1 with Plasm expenditures at the time; which wouldn't be SO strong except they have two separate defensive manifestation types (Caul and Shroud)
- Rages are super low investment to get a versatile ranged attack with such possible qualities as "completely undetectable and leaves no mark" or "inflicts [Rage rating] as a penalty to some stats, up to and including Defense or Physical rolls"
- Speaking of penalties, Curses are resisted by the lower of the target's Resolve or Composure, and at even a single dot can do things like "inflict half activation successes as a penalty on all rolls" for one day per Curse rating

Now the biggest thing to all this being broken is: What does loving any of this have to do with solving ghost mysteries, or stilling the unquiet dead? Not a lot out of the box. But it does make them insane murder machines (in 1e at least).

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
There's a reason my most effective Geist is just an undead Hunter continuing her work, but is even better at it now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Geists are really good at

a) ghost poo poo
b) loving other people up all to Hell and back
c) not dying.

They are not very good at anything else, but they are ridiculously good at those three things.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also their morality scale makes things like going to the Underworld a sin despite that being exactly what a Sin-Eater should be doing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

Geists are really good at

a) ghost poo poo
b) loving other people up all to Hell and back
c) not dying.

They are not very good at anything else, but they are ridiculously good at those three things.
Are we certain that they weren't an effort to do Bleach

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Pope Guilty posted:

Also their morality scale makes things like going to the Underworld a sin despite that being exactly what a Sin-Eater should be doing.

Whereas things like completely ignoring your resident death-wraith's constant whispers that it wants to see more car crashes, and in fact directly contradicting them, are no problem for your Synergy.

Geist 1e has a lot of problems, but I kind of think that's the chief one inhibiting the basic pitch's potential. You've got this cool copilot you're encouraged to customize, which is the source of your power, and there's nothing in there to give it story presence.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

Whereas things like completely ignoring your resident death-wraith's constant whispers that it wants to see more car crashes, and in fact directly contradicting them, are no problem for your Synergy.

Geist 1e has a lot of problems, but I kind of think that's the chief one inhibiting the basic pitch's potential. You've got this cool copilot you're encouraged to customize, which is the source of your power, and there's nothing in there to give it story presence.

Yeah this exactly. The little fucker can't compel you to do anything, doesn't meaningfully impact your personality and really serves no purpose except to give you superpowers. I mean you can roleplay it and I guess I always did but it was some wasted potential.

Then there's this whole sub-chapter on constructing your krew's mythology that was also kind of weird and probably should have been used to build your individual Geist instead.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mendrian posted:

Yeah this exactly. The little fucker can't compel you to do anything, doesn't meaningfully impact your personality and really serves no purpose except to give you superpowers. I mean you can roleplay it and I guess I always did but it was some wasted potential.

Then there's this whole sub-chapter on constructing your krew's mythology that was also kind of weird and probably should have been used to build your individual Geist instead.

Yeah, I think I kind of forgot how much I made up compared to how little is actually in the book. I played it hardcore that the geist and the person's soul were merging together to the point where they affected each other's personalities on a deep level. For instance, the undead hunter I mentioned early was becoming more violent and brutal as the geist egged her on, but it was becoming more regal and less bestial at the same time as she believed it was some holy entity so it was started to take on the affectations of holiness in response as it began to believe it too. I preferred to see it as a two-way street.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I am really looking forward to Geist second edition

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So is, "Building a Legend" something I need to hate-read now, or is it like the Dark eras thing where it's merely non-offensive but not fantastic.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Welp, looks like my Mastigos is going to need to build up an army of goetic servants to go toe to toe with ANOTHER army of goetic servants being controlled by the local head Seer.

Keep in mind that this was the same Thearch that decided that summoning a Rank 4 Demon God-King of Charity from the Astral to throw at this same Seer was a smart idea.

I see no possible way that this could go wrong.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Goetimon, gotta bind em all!

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kurieg posted:

Goetimon, gotta bind em all!

Possibly. I've got up to Mind 5 at this point so it's not QUITE as stupid as the last event was.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kurieg posted:

So is, "Building a Legend" something I need to hate-read now, or is it like the Dark eras thing where it's merely non-offensive but not fantastic.

It promises some cooperative world-building stuff applicable to more than just Beast. That might possibly be legitimately okay.

It's also only 60 pages.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

citybeatnik posted:

Welp, looks like my Mastigos is going to need to build up an army of goetic servants to go toe to toe with ANOTHER army of goetic servants being controlled by the local head Seer.

Keep in mind that this was the same Thearch that decided that summoning a Rank 4 Demon God-King of Charity from the Astral to throw at this same Seer was a smart idea.

I see no possible way that this could go wrong.

A future veteran of the psychic wars.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I have skiped ahead dozens of pages because I felt the need to remind you that Scion is wonderful.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

anglachel posted:

I thought the correct way to run Geist was to simply reflavor some things and run Persona?

Now i'm picturing some angsty teenager summoning up the tortured soul of an ancient axe murderer to go slay a vampire or something. Seeing some LARPers explain that one to the public when the cops get called would be entertaining.

Mendrian posted:

Correction: He can't compel you to do anything up until you die again. At which point it starts getting progressively more hooks into you from that point onwards. Also, if you've been neglecting your weird headmate then he's probably going to be pretty pissed at you.

Also, see that one piece of fiction that shows what happens when a Geist just hates it's owner and wants control. It doesn't need to be able to puppeteer your body to drive you mad. And it has more than a few ways to do that outside of just feeding you bad advice. Like forever by singing the same verse of a song over and over again in your head at a volume loud enough to keep you from sleeping. This actually gets mentioned in one of the books. And the affected person just starts repeatedly blowing their brains out with a pistol to make it stop.

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm divided on that one. On one hand, they're geists. On the other hand, they're loving geists. If vampires get dinged for contradictory things like watching a human eat a meal when they're supposed to work at staying human then it makes sense that at least some of the Bound would consider going back to Underworld as a somewhat stressful experience that'd distance them from humanity if they weren't careful.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 17, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You're talking about the fiction. The mechanics do not replicate the fiction; mechanically your ghost headmate has no weight.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I love the ideas that fiction brings and those are extremely useful, but yes. They need mechanics to back them up.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mors Rattus posted:

You're talking about the fiction. The mechanics do not replicate the fiction; mechanically your ghost headmate has no weight.

The fiction is pretty much representative of what they were going for though. If the mechanics are hosed then that's a problem. But it's pretty obvious that Geists were intended to have some weight.

Most people would just house rule it if they're hosed. And there's enough material there to do that, I think.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Congrats, you have grasped the point that people who bring up that the mechanics give the ghost headmate no weight have been trying to make.

e: 'People can houserule' is not a solution - the solution is to make a good game in the first place. Which hopefully Geist 2e will do. (and also get rid of the part where a Geist can accidentally be able to murder loving anything out the box, or that chargen rules are spread across three different chapters with poor cross-referencing. Did you know that Geists get a free Geist artifact? It's not in the chargen chapter, but they do!)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It would also help if the main characters of the game had a decent name, so that people don't keep calling them "geists" when that isn't what they are.

(I think my understanding is that "sin-eater" is going to become a standard title rather than something that may or may not be true of any given Bound.)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Congrats, you have grasped the point that people who bring up that the mechanics give the ghost headmate no weight have been trying to make.

e: 'People can houserule' is not a solution - the solution is to make a good game in the first place. Which hopefully Geist 2e will do. (and also get rid of the part where a Geist can accidentally be able to murder loving anything out the box, or that chargen rules are spread across three different chapters with poor cross-referencing. Did you know that Geists get a free Geist artifact? It's not in the chargen chapter, but they do!)

Yeah, I get that. I wasn't disagreeing with that point.

I guess my point is that Geist is actually a pretty neat concept that's hamstrung by a few flaws in the core book. I've pointed out a number of them in past posts, in fact. I don't feel like it ruins the potential the game has however. It just makes it a royal pain in the rear end to run it if you don't have an experienced GM compensating for the issues.

Though I think it should get an update to fix the crap that's wrong with it at some point.

Rand Brittain posted:

It would also help if the main characters of the game had a decent name, so that people don't keep calling them "geists" when that isn't what they are.

They actually do. They're called the Bound, from what I recall.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Archonex posted:

They actually do. They're called the Bound, from what I recall.

People don't often use that because it's silly and a little bit overwrought.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, Fog Men is much more evocative, if unfortunately sexist.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

People don't often use that because it's silly and a little bit overwrought.

The WoD is filled with ridiculous overladen and overwrought terminology like that. Not that i'm disagreeing with you.

Calling the conspiracy to stay hidden the masquerade is a bit over dramatic. Ditto for calling your life as a vampire the requiem to your living life. Or referring to yourself as the Lost because you got abducted by an extra-dimensional lunatic. Or like maybe a fourth to half the stuff in the Werewolf and Mage lines.

Honestly, given how much of it there is it's a bit surprising we haven't gotten a fiction piece from a Network Zero hunter that does nothing but roll their eyes at how bombastic the lingo unique to each supernatural is.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 17, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, Fog Men is much more evocative, if unfortunately sexist.

I don't really think that's an improvement. I feel like the "base" name of a splat needs to be something they might conceivably use in casual conversation among themselves, not a Capitalized Letter Word.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Sin-Eaters are always going to have trouble there because there frankly isn't a snappy, casual term that is actually used by people to refer to 'I was dead and then brought back by a ghost.'

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Revenant" isn't perfect, but it's close. They're corporeal ghosts who are reanimated by their purpose; a revenant's purpose is traditionally just revenge but you could stretch that definition a bit, it's not as if Demons or Changelings haven't.

e: or call them Draugr

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 17, 2017

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mors Rattus posted:

Sin-Eaters are always going to have trouble there because there frankly isn't a snappy, casual term that is actually used by people to refer to 'I was dead and then brought back by a ghost.'

i throw around the words "undead" and "zombie" and "cohabiting with a ghost" when it comes up in-character

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Xinder posted:

i throw around the words "undead" and "zombie" and "cohabiting with a ghost" when it comes up in-character

The thing to remember tho is that they're not. Undead, that is. A Sin-Eater is very much alive, they just have ghost powers and a ghost headmate.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Mors Rattus posted:

The thing to remember tho is that they're not. Undead, that is. A Sin-Eater is very much alive, they just have ghost powers and a ghost headmate.

Technically, yeah. But in-character I figure most people aren't going to draw that distinction. Realistically most people are going to go for the simplest term that kinda fits even if it doesn't hold up to scrutiny of the definition.

Helps that it hasn't come up around a more intellectual character in any of my games yet.

Dec 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Revenant" isn't perfect, but it's close. They're corporeal ghosts who are reanimated by their purpose; a revenant's purpose is traditionally just revenge but you could stretch that definition a bit, it's not as if Demons or Changelings haven't.

What I'm getting from this is that Vampire stole all the good terminology for what they're trying to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
Bound is like Awakened or Kindred - an awkward term of art the makes no sense outside the fiction and mainly serves to as a way to say "this exact splat", i.e. "mages" could refer to any number of hedge witches and two-bit sorcerers, but "the Awakened" refers specifically to human gifted with Supernal insight as presented in Mage: The Awakening. Except Geist doesn't really need it for the because who can just intuit what it means to be a Sin-Eater?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Revenant" is already in use as a term for both a kind of feral vampire and a ghost possessing its own body. Not that that's necessarily a hard no since there's like half a dozen different types of entities referred to as "demons", but it does muddy the issue. Draugr is probably out though because at this point I don't think anyone can hear that word and not think of Skyrim.