Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A bill in Idaho just went into effect today that legalizes any non-compete contract unless it prevents an employee from being employed at all. It also allows them to enforce non-compete contracts for employees trying to leave for a better job in a field that is not directly related to their non-compete contract. So, your employer can literally hold you hostage if they don't want you to leave and you need the job.

That means you can sign a non-compete for your 75k a year healthcare programming job that prevents you from working in ANY programming-related field as long as you can get a job at Wal-Mart.

This is the strongest non-compete law in America. Usually, states just set guidelines and let courts sort it out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/14/business/economy/boise-idaho-noncompete-law.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

How the hell do people justify this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I have read this a bunch of times and am still not sure exactly what he is trying to say.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Old James posted:

"Workers should not have rights, they should worship the company for granting them a paycheck."

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

empty whippet box posted:

I have read this a bunch of times and am still not sure exactly what he is trying to say.

He's referring to the 36% approval rating, saying it's "nearly 40%", and then saying that's really not that bad at all, and besides, that poll is inaccurate, so it's probably not right anyway. So he's giving himself credit for an inaccurate poll he's rounding up.

It's a stupid loving thing to say from beginning to end.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Old James posted:

"They entered the contract to slavishly venerate the Company willingly, what's the problem?" -idiots

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the most frustrating part of the whole Democratic scheme poo poo is that I'm pretty certain that if Hilary won, she'd probably do as much as she can to stop any investigation of Trump and the Russians since it would just seem as petty, partisan revenge.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Old James posted:

Protecting industry secrets and giving leverage to employers who make the capital investment to train employees and provide them with information.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the most frustrating part of the whole Democratic scheme poo poo is that I'm pretty certain that if Hilary won, she'd probably do as much as she can to stop any investigation of Trump and the Russians since it would just seem as petty, partisan revenge.

Definitely. If Trump wasn't president no one would know about any of this stuff. They'd be too busy screaming about how the election was rigged.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Old James posted:

There's no chance that law holds up in court.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
i wonder at this point how many senators are extorting mcconnell for their vote

i like to think it's at least 8. make me feel good.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why is that the case for this and not the slightly less evil existing non-competes?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Protecting industry secrets and giving leverage to employers who make the capital investment to train employees and provide them with information.

The guy who is always saying Hail Satan lives in Idaho, so I'd guess he can comment. I bet the problem within any sector with real job prospects is that employers in Idaho pay "in line with the cost of living" and are shocked when their now experienced hires move on to much higher paying jobs next door in Washington (or in California). As usual, it is terrible business people trying to be protected from the market when it turns against them.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

We just need someone to fight a long, expensive lawsuit to prove it.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

genos steaks is a reactionary right wing shithole though so that's not really that indicative of much

steaks are fairly good though

Whoah, are 8 tracks and salmon suits back in again? Because if Geno's steaks are any good it must be thirty loving years ago.

https://billypenn.com/2016/12/16/introducing-the-ultimate-philly-cheesesteak-winner/

Lost in the first round to someone who lost in the second round. Go check out Barry's or Delasandro's.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

She would have to.

Investigating an opponent she just defeated would look awful, and she'd be fighting off republican impeachment attempts right and left.

Of course she'd absolutely cripple the Russian economy in response.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

OddObserver posted:

Why is that the case for this and not the slightly less evil existing non-competes?

Most non-competes aren't real bad at all. They usually contain provisions that prevent you from working with direct competitors in narrowly defined geographical area. They don't limit your ability to find a new job because you can cross over to a different industry, or work for your competitor in a different job role, or move to another part of the state or region.

The Idaho provision seriously limits your ability to change jobs in a way that traditional non-competes do not.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

Most non-competes aren't real bad at all. They usually contain provisions that prevent you from working with direct competitors in narrowly defined geographical area. They don't limit your ability to find a new job because you can cross over to a different industry, or work for your competitor in a different job role, or move to another part of the state or region.

The Idaho provision seriously limits your ability to change jobs in a way that traditional non-competes do not.

Non-competes are always bad imo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

OctaMurk posted:

All non-competes are bad and serve only to assist Capital in keeping wages low. And of course the regulation-hating Libertarians have no problem with them because they're full of poo poo.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Peven Stan posted:

Not really. Hiring an employee is a significant investment in which you can learn particular company information regarding future products, clients etc that would be damaging when you take it to a direct competitor within a short timespan. If you're not sure about the non-compete agreement you're being asked to sign, you can ask a lawyer to look it over for you to explain how it will affect you and what changes you should ask for, and the company will almost always pay for this.

quote:

All non-competes are bad and serve only to assist Capital in keeping wages low. And of course the regulation-hating Libertarians have no problem with them because they're full of poo poo.

Yeah, except that you don't have to find work at the company's direct competitor. It doesn't actually reduce your ability to find a better-paying job unlike this Idaho law which explicity prevents you from working, well, pretty much anywhere else. The non-compete agreement serves to protect the company's information.

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 16, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OddObserver posted:

Many non competes don't hold up. They are less legal barriers and more to scare and extort people.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OctaMurk posted:

Not really. Hiring an employee is a significant investment in which you can learn particular company information regarding future products, clients etc that would be damaging when you take it to a direct competitor within a short timespan. If you're not sure about the non-compete agreement you're being asked to sign, you can ask a lawyer to look it over for you to explain how it will affect you and what changes you should ask for, and the company will almost always pay for this.

Given that the tech industry is surviving somehow in California where non-competes are illegal, I'm sticking with "Non-competes are bad"

Even moreso when they're actually indentured servitude agreements like in Idaho

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
For those of you too young to remember Watergate a 1973 column by Art Buchwald describes pretty much the entire Trump playbook for dealing with his endless shitshow. See how many Trumpista excuses you can spot in this list.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Peven Stan posted:

Their enforcement in reality is extremely narrow and very rarely brought up. It's way more often used as an empty threat by employers with no intention of actually taking it to court. Their legal justification is fine- part of a job is granting an employee specialized knowledge and intellectual property that gives your company an edge in the market. Non-competes make it so that companies can't just buy up all of a competitors IP by throwing money at the problem. It's only really enforced once you get to upper level employees and there's tons of loopholes to get around them- ie: competitor offers a signing bonus that just so happens to be worth the term of your non-compete expiring. so you 'take a break from work' during that time and start working for your competitor the day it expires.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

OctaMurk posted:

Or you could just pay employees in sensitive positions enough to keep them happy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

Their enforcement in reality is extremely narrow and very rarely brought up. It's way more often used as an empty threat by employers with no intention of actually taking it to court. Their legal justification is fine- part of a job is granting an employee specialized knowledge and intellectual property that gives your company an edge in the market. Non-competes make it so that companies can't just buy up all of a competitors IP by throwing money at the problem. It's only really enforced once you get to upper level employees and there's tons of loopholes to get around them- ie: competitor offers a signing bonus that just so happens to be worth the term of your non-compete expiring. so you 'take a break from work' during that time and start working for your competitor the day it expires.

Sounds like Capital are using empty threats of state-endorsed reprisals against Labor and that the practice should be ended full-stop.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Or you could just pay employees in sensitive positions enough to keep them happy.

It's really bizarre how "pay people more" isn't even on the table as an option for so many companies.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dick Trauma posted:

For those of you too young to remember Watergate a 1973 column by Art Buchwald describes pretty much the entire Trump playbook for dealing with his endless shitshow. See how many Trumpista excuses you can spot in this list.

That's a few find/replace functions away from being a 2017 article.

The more things change...

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Hey guys, if you're unemployed and can't make ends meet, be sure to hire a lawyer to look over everything you sign first

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Airconswitch posted:

Hey guys, if you're unemployed and can't make ends meet, be sure to hire a lawyer to look over everything you sign first

Every company where I've asked them to pay for a lawyer to look over the agreements they'd like me to sign before I sign anything, has agreed to do so. If they don't agree to pay for this, then that's probably not a place you'd like to work. Obviously this doesn't apply to working at wal-mart or whatever, but you're not signing NCAs at wal-mart.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

Not really. Hiring an employee is a significant investment in which you can learn particular company information regarding future products, clients etc that would be damaging when you take it to a direct competitor within a short timespan.

Yeah, except that you don't have to find work at the company's direct competitor. It doesn't actually reduce your ability to find a better-paying job unlike this Idaho law which explicity prevents you from working, well, pretty much anywhere else. The non-compete agreement serves to protect the company's information.

Hmm another liberal apologizing for capital restricting the free flow of labor when it suits them, almost like liberals are just right wingers with a fancier vocabulary.

OctaMurk posted:

If you're not sure about the non-compete agreement you're being asked to sign, you can ask a lawyer to look it over for you to explain how it will affect you and what changes you should ask for, and the company will almost always pay for this.

I'm sure this happens all the time in real life it doesn't

OctaMurk posted:

Every company where I've asked them to pay for a lawyer to look over the agreements they'd like me to sign before I sign anything, has agreed to do so. If they don't agree to pay for this, then that's probably not a place you'd like to work. Obviously this doesn't apply to working at wal-mart or whatever, but you're not signing NCAs at wal-mart.

Not everyone is some kind of euphoric software developer, dingus.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

OctaMurk posted:

...but you're not signing NCAs at wal-mart.

Not yet... :capitalism:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the protestant work ethic destroyed this country.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Mystic Mongol posted:

Whoah, are 8 tracks and salmon suits back in again? Because if Geno's steaks are any good it must be thirty loving years ago.

https://billypenn.com/2016/12/16/introducing-the-ultimate-philly-cheesesteak-winner/

Lost in the first round to someone who lost in the second round. Go check out Barry's or Delasandro's.

I've never had Barry's. I pretty much stopped looking around when I found Delasandro's. Might have to check them out.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Peven Stan posted:

I'm sure this happens all the time in real life it doesn't

It actually does, and if a company refuses to pay for this, that tells you a lot about the company. Have you ever had to review and sign a non-compete agreement before? Did you not ask for this option?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

perhaps you should consider that the idaho law extends to hiring positions where a company would rather move on to the next low level manager application then pay out of pocket for a third party attorney to decode their own nda to a potential hire

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

skylined! posted:

perhaps you should consider that the idaho law extends to hiring positions where a company would rather move on to the next low level manager application then pay out of pocket for a third party attorney to decode their own nda to a potential hire

perhaps you should consider that like everyone else in this thread, I think the Idaho law is lovely for that reason and others, and I have been talking about regular non-compete agreements that tend to be non-enforceable or strictly limited

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

jimmy johns asks employees to sign non competes

i am sure they're going to shell out a few grand for a couple hours of an attorneys time so their delivery drivers feel good about the nca

you know, instead of moving on to the next person that doesn't request that

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

skylined! posted:

jimmy johns asks employees to sign non competes

i am sure they're going to shell out a few grand for a couple hours of an attorneys time so their delivery drivers feel good about the nca

you know, instead of moving on to the next person that doesn't request that

Lmao you're being completely disingenuous at this point

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

OctaMurk posted:

It actually does, and if a company refuses to pay for this, that tells you a lot about the company. Have you ever had to review and sign a non-compete agreement before? Did you not ask for this option?

Yes, I have signed multiple noncompetes. Hell, I even signed one when I was 23 after the fact when the employer pushed them on everyone post facto as a condition of remaining employed, which was a blatant violation of contract law. I'm sure you'll blame 23 year olds for not being experts on noncompete law for their first job after college in a professional industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I too think that CEOs and other high ranking employees earn way to little. They are basically forced to abandon ship to sell trade secrets to the competition.

These laws exists so that a large company can't just poach everyone from their competition to ruin them. In a mild form NCA are a reasonable market restriction.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 16, 2017

• Locked thread