Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Commentator
Hellpockets
James "Old Man" Chen
Ultra "I See You Colluding" David
Infiltration
UltraChen
Yipes
Chris Hu
Zhi (Late Night mode)
Zhi (Corporate Sponsored mode)
Aris
Ryan Hunter
Seth "My LoL Money" Killian
Spooky
When's Catherine?
View Results

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

WDIIA posted:

I gol'd (gasped out loud) at that call

please respect my heritage and don't appropriate and subvert the meaning of gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool'ing calls :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Goddamnit I'mma be so sad if Chris G runs down RyanLV.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
OOH BABY that meter steal combo!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ArbitraryC posted:

It's weird how people always complain about the melee community being bad but the only time i see the game brought up it's just long whining screeds about how people who found a party game with some really interesting mechanics decided to come together and agree on some rules that let them play 1v1's in a competitive fashion.

Melee is a fun and great game both competitively and as a party game, my friends and I naturally played with no items and limited stages when we got into it because it's such an obvious and natural transition if you've ever actually spent a significant amount of time playing the game. We still sometimes dicked around with max pokeballs 2v2's or w/e too, the game has built in options so you can use them.

Boring ugly injustice is better than melee sorry.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

theGrooseofLegend posted:

OOH BABY that meter steal combo!

That was nice poo poo.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Three 360 controllers in top 8, what even is this anymore

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

It's weird how people always complain about the melee community being bad but the only time i see the game brought up it's just long whining screeds about how people who found a party game with some really interesting mechanics decided to come together and agree on some rules that let them play 1v1's in a competitive fashion.

Melee is a fun and great game both competitively and as a party game, my friends and I naturally played with no items and limited stages when we got into it because it's such an obvious and natural transition if you've ever actually spent a significant amount of time playing the game. We still sometimes dicked around with max pokeballs 2v2's or w/e too, the game has built in options so you can use them.

So how long are people going to keep playing it if the same 5 people (and at this point like what the same 3 people really) always keep winning? I don't think this is sustainable unless the scrubs just basically want to fund the top players constantly.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Veib posted:

Three 360 controllers in top 8, what even is this anymore

dead game brings out ancient artifacts to stream, checks out

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dias posted:

nah

also i dunno how this stupid chun/morrigan/phoenix team works it's mostly chun that baffles me but i guess when you hit like a fly it's easy to fill up meter

IIRC when chun gets hit in the air she regains her DP kicks and/or calling the assist or something like that, but basically chun can easily stay away from the opponent while Morrigan assist fills meter.

It's not just chun, it's also that Morrigan/Phoenix is just a really good shell itself. fchamp tried to use this shell too but he sucked at morrigan so he couldn't use it very well. Chun and morrigan having their own TAC infinites helps a lot too (don't remember if phoenix had one).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
yessss all zeros must die hail canada

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
I'm honestly cheering for Dark Phoenix over anchor Vergil. She seems like the lesser of two evils

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
gol'd again at that raw tag

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Ventana posted:

It's not just chun, it's also that Morrigan/Phoenix is just a really good shell itself. fchamp tried to use this shell too but he sucked at morrigan so he couldn't use it very well. Chun and morrigan having their own TAC infinites helps a lot too (don't remember if phoenix had one).

Alioune was playing Magneto/Morrigan/Phoenix at some point which seemed good but France isn't exactly known for their Marvel scene so he never really got anything done in US tournements.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
goddamnit don't throw this away you stupid canadian

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Those last 20 seconds were pure amazing

Veib posted:

Alioune was playing Magneto/Morrigan/Phoenix at some point which seemed good but France isn't exactly known for their Marvel scene so he never really got anything done in US tournements.

That's pretty good, I never saw Alioune play mvc3 ever but I could totally see him playing that team

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

MAHVEL

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

In Training posted:

Oh no!!! gently caress I love corporate sponsorship!!!!!!

i went to sleep after this but you misunderstood me. i'm just saying that theres no forced incentive to move on to the next game, players can just stick to what they like. im glad nintendo doesnt do capcoms bs.

anyway everyone enjoy evo sunday and good luck to all players

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Holy poo poo Marvel God

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Good prevailed, all hail Trudeau.

Morrigan/Phoenix is a good shell, but I just keep thinking you could play better shells that are less of a hassle or even a better point to that shell than Chun. Dude did some work with his team and I can respect that, it's like Justin playing a vanilla Marvel 3 team to a EVO championship.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dias posted:

dead game brings out ancient artifacts to stream, checks out

Mvc3 just came out on pc, not dead at all!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

A Dormammu!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So how long are people going to keep playing it if the same 5 people (and at this point like what the same 3 people really) always keep winning? I don't think this is sustainable unless the scrubs just basically want to fund the top players constantly.

Why do you care? It'll keep goin as long as it still has interest. It's a fun game to watch for people who were into it as kids or w/e. I think hardware issues alone will kill it eventually but if it dies before that because people are tired of seeing armada win or cause people want to move onto smash 4 or whatever then that's just how it goes, but I don't see why people can't help but bitch constantly about the existence of the game and it's scene. If you don't like it don't watch it, no one cares.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dias posted:

also i dunno how this stupid chun/morrigan/phoenix team works it's mostly chun that baffles me but i guess when you hit like a fly it's easy to fill up meter

It's interesting, because the team's basically built around match unfamiliarity despite the lineup. There are layers of mind games in there which are there to basically defy everyone's expectations at this point.

Chun's almost never seen, but she's one of the most mobile characters in the game and she's really difficult to keep out; weirdly, she's probably one of the better anti-Morrigan picks. At the same time, Ryan's Morrigan isn't built around the bullet hell Astral Vision setup. He'll certainly use it, but it's not all he does. It's not his neutral.

Finally, Ryan will actually play Phoenix, rather than sticking her in the back as an imminent threat the way everyone's been doing since vanilla. He'll bring her out to actually do some work, and nobody does that, so a lot of the time, the guy he's playing against effectively has no match knowledge. Plus, RyanLV's whole team is built around massive meter building, one way or another, so he can go ahead and spend meter if he has to without jeopardizing the potential for a Dark Phoenix comeback.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
ZMC is haram

I guess its not tru zmc but gently caress it

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 16, 2017

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Haggar rules

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

Mvc3 just came out on pc, not dead at all!

so did melty blood what great fuckin' heights

kill all zeros

Wanderer posted:

It's interesting, because the team's basically built around match unfamiliarity despite the lineup. There are layers of mind games in there which are there to basically defy everyone's expectations at this point.

Chun's almost never seen, but she's one of the most mobile characters in the game and she's really difficult to keep out; weirdly, she's probably one of the better anti-Morrigan picks. At the same time, Ryan's Morrigan isn't built around the bullet hell Astral Vision setup. He'll certainly use it, but it's not all he does. It's not his neutral.

Finally, Ryan will actually play Phoenix, rather than sticking her in the back as an imminent threat the way everyone's been doing since vanilla. He'll bring her out to actually do some work, and nobody does that, so a lot of the time, the guy he's playing against effectively has no match knowledge. Plus, RyanLV's whole team is built around massive meter building, one way or another, so he can go ahead and spend meter if he has to without jeopardizing the potential for a Dark Phoenix comeback.

It's an anti-meta team. I hope he wins because it's a nice counterpoint to Viscant's ridiculously fine-tuned meta team that won the first EVO, even though both have a Dark Phoenix strat.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS HAGGAR

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ArbitraryC posted:

Why do you care? It'll keep goin as long as it still has interest. It's a fun game to watch for people who were into it as kids or w/e. I think hardware issues alone will kill it eventually but if it dies before that because people are tired of seeing armada win or cause people want to move onto smash 4 or whatever then that's just how it goes, but I don't see why people can't help but bitch constantly about the existence of the game and it's scene. If you don't like it don't watch it, no one cares.

Yeah we watched some melee top 8 but it was boring watching armada put on a clinic so we stopped watching. It's boring. I'm glad you like watching the same people win over and over again.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
kill

all

fuckin'

zeros

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
How is Yipes so good?!?!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yipes is without a doubt the best commentator in fgc history

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Marvel owns and should have been on later. God

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

God bless Mayor of Earf, Mike Haggar. That's the REAL shame of MvC:I that they left the mayor out this term.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
LETS GO HAGGAR

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Paradigm is the hero we need and the hero we deserve

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Actually he governs, he is a democratically elected government official not a hereditary monarch

e: also a reminder that Haggar is one of the very few characters who have won multiple Evos

Veib fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 16, 2017

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Haggar, with das pipu. Forever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Marvel owns and should have been on later. God

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrubs have been funding for years and its not stopping. A lot of people keep playing it because they find it fun and tournaments are fun and most people don't care if they're inevitably going to get bopped by better players. Sometimes you just want to try your best and see how far it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

Captain Invictus posted: