Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sad King Billy posted:

I think Chibnall running the show will be a bigger problem.

I still hold out hope, his scripts have never been the best on Who but he's always been aping somebody else's style, and season one of Broadchurch really was excellent. True season 2 went off a cliff quality wise, but I still don't know if that was down to his qualities as a showrunner or because the first season was such a hit that ITV decided last minute to make a second even though everything was wrapped up so nicely, and he had to scramble to come up with a new season. By many accounts season 3 was far better and he would have had more time to develop that.

I mean maybe it'll be the often bland, sometimes good but then stumbles at the end stuff he'd been producing for RTD and Moffat, but I prefer to be optimistic about it. He is taking a writers' room approach to the show, he's demonstrated he can run a show effectively (one of Moffat's biggest criticisms) and whoever his casting director is has impeccable taste, and they already nailed the choice for the new Doctor. I have hope :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

:kimchi:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Once again Colin Baker reminds everybody that he owns forever :)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp_Fw5oDMao&t=1034s

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I hope they don't just hand wave this away as something that happens all the time, because statistically speaking it's really unlikely for you to regenerate 12 times into a man if it really is 50/50 that you'll be a woman.

Either way, Missy was cool. Looking forward to this either way. The little clip of her key and Tardis magically appearing in a happy forest didn't feel like Doctor Who, but it was probably the best they could do without having this leak months ago. I'm sure her actual look will be very different.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I hear reddit r/doctorwho is full of meltdowns.

But I don't want to dredge through that shithole to get the good stuff so I'll leave that to people braver than me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Meltdowns, get your meltdowns here!

https://twitter.com/mjrobbins/status/886610394827173888

Meltdowns, hot off the presses!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
hey priormarcus

ya basic

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Sad King Billy posted:

I think Chibnall running the show will be a bigger problem.

Yeah, everyone seems to have forgotten Camelot and the first season of Torchwood.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

*dips pinkie n it and licks* oh yeah, that's pure refined Six you got there

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've watched this show all my life and I can't even imagine how somebody could be a fan and still think,"No everything has to stay the same forever or it's not going to be any good!"

It's baffling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

*dips pinkie n it and licks* oh yeah, that's pure refined Six you got there

God I wish I'd saved that tweet where McGann paid tribute to a woman freedom fighter from the past, somebody ripped into him for it and McGann just mercilessly put him down in pure 8 fashion :allears:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I've watched this show all my life and I can't even imagine how somebody could be a fan and still think,"No everything has to stay the same forever or it's not going to be any good!"

It's baffling.

They're incredibly sexist. Just really, really sexist. Poor dears.

The future is all girl after all. :d:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jivjov posted:

Meltdowns, get your meltdowns here!

https://twitter.com/mjrobbins/status/886610394827173888

Meltdowns, hot off the presses!

*tips you a quid or whatever it is you Brits use* piping hot my man, well done

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's true, for example I am a woman and I'm delighted, so I am easy to manipulate. Won't a man tell me what I should think?

WOMEN. KNOW YOUR LIMITS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Before I say this, I am gonna just preface it with that I couldnt care less if the doctor was a woman or not, so long as they are good I am good.

My facebook and twitter feed is full of people all going "LOOK AT ALL THE MALE TEARS"... but Honestly? I havent see any of that. All I see on my twitter feed is people either talking about male tears or saying how good Jodie Whittacker is. Am I just following the wrong/right people or are people kind of gloating about an extreme minority they imagine to be much bigger?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm the Yankeest of yanks. Gimme dollars

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FiftySeven posted:

Before I say this, I am gonna just preface it with that I couldnt care less if the doctor was a woman or not, so long as they are good I am good.

My facebook and twitter feed is full of people all going "LOOK AT ALL THE MALE TEARS"... but Honestly? I havent see any of that. All I see on my twitter feed is people either talking about male tears or saying how good Jodie Whittacker is. Am I just following the wrong/right people or are people kind of gloating about an extreme minority they imagine to be much bigger?

Go look at the public comments on the Facebook announcement or the public replies to the tweet. SO MANY TEARS.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm sure the burn in time will result in ~hijinks~ which is worrisome as post regeneration episodes are almost all uniformly terrible :mad:

This is a reputation largely down to the Twin Dilemma being so awful. There's only a couple of real stinkers, most of em (like Robot) are fine. Two, the first two, are truly excellent.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

FiftySeven posted:

Just read the comments on the official twitter announcement. The tears start flowing immediately!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, Power of the Daleks and Spearhead from Space are both excellent. Robot is only okay but it actually works in a meta-sense because it feels like a leftover Pertwee story only with this new, entirely different Doctor in his place. Castrovalva is just kinda weird, The Twin Dilemma is terrible, Time and the Rani is awful, the TV movie is a mixed bag. Day of the Doctor is technically a regeneration story and it is excellent, I really like The Christmas Invasion, The Eleventh Hour is superb, the back half of Deep Breath is really drat good etc.

Basically the regeneration stories were only really bad during the nadir of the Classic Show's run.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Chokes McGee posted:

The logistics of this will be interesting as The Doctor hasn't changed genders before.

I'm sure the burn in time will result in ~hijinks~ which is worrisome as post regeneration episodes are almost all uniformly terrible :mad:

Why has he changed now.

Obviously we know the show production reasons but his previous 13 regenerations were all male, for someone who is supposed to have poor control over his next form, he should have been a woman earlier surely?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

It's baffling.

Well come on now, you watched the Tennant years and how certain nerds refused to admit Tennant was talented because women found him attractive. This is in the same vein.

Also, if you really want to freak out these peope just say that clearly the free market has determined that women are a better market to cater to the future. Our glorious system of (government backed) capitalism is thriving!

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Jodie Whittaker's great, looking forward to the next series. I wonder if we will get a solo male companion as a corollary or if they keep the two companion thing going. Matt Lucas was barely in the first few episodes of this series but I liked when they brought Nardole along.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just remember before making your fanart that these initial promotional costumes will never appear in the show.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
okay now that I have a sec let me take a look at the announcement vide---

okay well I'll be in an induced coma until next series try not to let Trump end the world in the meantime

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Dehry posted:

Just remember before making your fanart that these initial promotional costumes will never appear in the show.

To be fair, I always thought that he looked pretty good like that...

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Sad King Billy posted:

Why has he changed now.

Obviously we know the show production reasons but his previous 13 regenerations were all male, for someone who is supposed to have poor control over his next form, he should have been a woman earlier surely?

I think the idea is while they can, and do, swap sexes during regeneration there's a bias towards the original template. So white dudes are more likely to regenerate into white dudes and black women are more likely to regenerate into black women etc.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dehry posted:

God, I remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth when that came out. Everyone was panicking that Doctor Who had gone full Twilight.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

It looked like she was wearing Capaldi's outfit (or a variation on it) in the video, like a just after regeneration thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I hope there's going to be some funny meltdowns about this because people going "political correctness hurrr" and "sjw!" is going to get old super fast.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I love it when there are two companions. It adds a lot to the dynamics of the thing. Doesn't hurt that Nardole was an adorable egg man.

e: For all we know it'll be an actual decision of the Doctor's to be a woman for some internal reason this time around. The last story had him airily telling Bill that Time Lords are beyond gender biases and then the Master getting all weirded out about Missy, so who knows? I'm guessing some Time Lords have a strong preference and some don't.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://twitter.com/EddieRobson/status/886616642477838339

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's the impression I got. It's just a reveal video and probably not going to be incorporated into the episode in any way, but it does feel like it's intended to show her as freshly regenerated and still wearing the previous incarnation's clothes. The key appearing in her hand, the taking down of the hood, the walking towards the TARDIS etc all seem designed to state as heavily as possible,"This IS the Doctor."

I knew I liked Eddie Robson for a reason (well, two reasons, the other being he writes really good Doctor Who audios!)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/CFCTWEET__/status/886610238819885056

Anyone found a dumber take then this?

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I have to admit that the idea of a woman as the Doctor seems strange to me but I'm not drowning my keyboard in tears as I type this. I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm an old stick in the mud who is used to his old set routines and probably doesn't adapt as well to change as other people.

One thing the show hasn't done though is show a far future humanity where gender change is a very casual process indeed, The Culture novels I have read show that changing sex is similar to trying on a new set of clothes, a relatively smooth process that is a unremarkable facet of everyday life.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Slowpoke! posted:

I hope they don't just hand wave this away as something that happens all the time, because statistically speaking it's really unlikely for you to regenerate 12 times into a man if it really is 50/50 that you'll be a woman.

No reason it has to have been a 50/50 chance. Time lord gender is just a spectrum of possibilities.

Getting some real horrific racism coming out of people who are then turning round and being all 'male tears'. Women, sort yourselves out.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Isn't that essentially Superman? Also, they did it with Thor so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So will all these fans come running back for the next male Doctor?

• Locked thread