Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
A goon take:

https://twitter.com/gen_ironicus/status/886618031522230274

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, that's cool, she was good in Broadchurch.

One observation (probably already made; I don't feel like reading 100 posts of reactions) is that it's a lot like Capaldi in that she only appeared on the radar in the last couple of days before announcement. Guess they realised it was going to leak and wanted to pre-empt it again, huh?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
HE HAS SPOKEN

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What I love is how often you hear,"Well it doesn't matter if it is a man or a woman, they should just choose the best actor" and then they choose a fantastic actor who happens to be a woman and people start responding,"This is PC culture gone mad!"

I mean I know it's probably not the same people saying both things, but I'm gonna pretend it is!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Haters gonna hate

Time lords gonna regenerate

Excited for the Christmas special and how this turns out.

And hoping somehow during 13's run we get her dealing with 8 😬

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Her name being "Whittaker" (TWO 'T's!) is very appropriate. How mercurial.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

hey priormarcus

ya basic

Why? I never opposed a female Doctor? She's a great choice.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Sad King Billy posted:

One thing the show hasn't done though is show a far future humanity where gender change is a very casual process indeed, The Culture novels I have read show that changing sex is similar to trying on a new set of clothes, a relatively smooth process that is a unremarkable facet of everyday life.

That's really offensive actually.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Bring on the sexy male companions!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I guess I better catch up on the other stuff she's been in, I'm really only familiar with her from Broadchurch. I've been meaning to watch Attack the Block for awhile now, this is as good a reason as any.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Why? I never opposed a female Doctor? She's a great choice.

You insinuated that you knew one wasn't happening.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NarkyBark posted:

Maybe that's what Kris Marshall is doing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

HE HAS SPOKEN

Unsubstantiated assertion!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Were there people super upset about Missy?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

HopperUK posted:

Maybe that's what Kris Marshall is doing.

Oh gently caress. It's far from being all over!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

You insinuated that you knew one wasn't happening.

Must concur, I do recall a couple of "he has been cast and it is a he" posts, fwiw. :shrug:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sad King Billy posted:

I have to admit that the idea of a woman as the Doctor seems strange to me but I'm not drowning my keyboard in tears as I type this. I'm perfectly willing to admit that I'm an old stick in the mud who is used to his old set routines and probably doesn't adapt as well to change as other people.

Sometimes I feel the same way, and have trouble getting my head around the idea that there are Doctors after Sylvester. :glomp:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HopperUK posted:

I love it when there are two companions. It adds a lot to the dynamics of the thing. Doesn't hurt that Nardole was an adorable egg man.

e: For all we know it'll be an actual decision of the Doctor's to be a woman for some internal reason this time around. The last story had him airily telling Bill that Time Lords are beyond gender biases and then the Master getting all weirded out about Missy, so who knows? I'm guessing some Time Lords have a strong preference and some don't.

The Master is notably super sexist across all of his male iterations.

Like, out right misogynist levels.

So his reactions to himself as a woman are pretty much as expected.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Garrett_Anderson

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I'm so excited about the Doctor being a woman! And also someone who isn't Kris Marshall? I wondered if the BBC had put his name about on purpose so fans would go "what an awful choices!", then be relieved when it was someone else regardless of what their gender might be.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Burkion posted:

The Master is notably super sexist across all of his male iterations.

Like, out right misogynist levels.

So his reactions to himself as a woman are pretty much as expected.

I have got to watch more of his classic stories, I've not seen many at all.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Loads of people on Gallifrey Base are still super upset about Missy, and will be so until they die.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HopperUK posted:

I have got to watch more of his classic stories, I've not seen many at all.

It's even present with Simm's Master.

Just look at how he treats his 'wife'.

The only reason I suspect Gomez Master doesn't have some self loathing issues is because the only person the Master doesn't hate is themselves.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

NarkyBark posted:

Who wears short shorts?

Turlough wears short shorts!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/IanLevine/status/886621715505311744

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

NarkyBark posted:

okay I've always wanted to be in the TARDIS :smuggo:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HopperUK posted:

I don't remember people being SUPER upset but maybe that's because I don't really have much to do with other Doctor Who fans other than folks in this thread.

TARDIS wiki (or whatever you call it - the one we slag off whenever people bring it up) took a loooooooong time to acknowledge Missy as an incarnation of the Master on their Master page but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that's because they're colossal grognards rather than because they were being sexist. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Well, Ian Levine ruined northern soul, so I guess they're even. :v:

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

The Abzorbaloff isn't a fan of the Doctor anyway.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't remember people being SUPER upset but maybe that's because I don't really have much to do with other Doctor Who fans other than folks in this thread.

TARDIS wiki (or whatever you call it - the one we slag off whenever people bring it up) took a loooooooong time to acknowledge Missy as an incarnation of the Master on their Master page but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that's because they're colossal grognards rather than because they were being sexist. :shrug:

there is no distinction between grognard canon-worship and institutionalized bigotry

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

TinTower posted:

HE HAS SPOKEN

who is this loser whining about Doctor Who on a bbcode forum and why do they matter

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Maybe in a fit of rage he'll finally release any missing episodes he's been hoarding.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Autism Sneaks posted:

who is this loser whining about Doctor Who on a bbcode forum and why do they matter

He is Sparacus!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tavarin posted:

Maybe in a fit of rage he'll finally release any missing episodes he's been hoarding.

The monkey's paw curls and you get another hundred episodes which he wrote and starred in

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sad King Billy posted:

He is Sparacus!

Chatham is canon.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The new Doctor's a woman, eh? *shrug*

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tavarin posted:

As if he'd hoard anything instead of using it to prove he is top number one A1 best at the liking doctor who hobby.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Isn't that the one where the Daleks set fire to a cardboard cutout Queen Elizabeth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
We've got fanart already!

https://twitter.com/f_francavilla/status/886621406879940608

• Locked thread