Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Pryor/status/886618396598702080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
My favourite part is that none of the official promos even state the gender. They simply call her Thirteen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
In all honestly I'm fine with it except for the nagging suspicion they'll manage to make the whole thing really, really awkward and clumsy.

Shneak posted:

My favourite part is that none of the official promos even state the gender. They simply call her Thirteen.

Well now I just wish they'd sprung for Olivia Wilde.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Colin is a good boy:

https://twitter.com/SawbonesHex/status/886622082485891072

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/886622998106562561

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Paul F. Tompkins with the correct take.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I hope the next Doctor is an Ood

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I believe Baker has always been supportive of a woman playing the Doctor.

(I know Davison's against it, or at least was last time he was asked.)

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...
The only reason I'm at all skeptical about this is that I'm worried there'll be an endless barrage of awkward, unfunny jokes. Otherwise, cautiously optimistic.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Doctor in distress! Let's not answer his SOS.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That awkward moment when the Doctor's been driving like a woman for over 2300 years...

We've been prepared for this moment ever since 1967 and it's our own fault for not listening

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mind Loving Owl posted:

The only reason I'm at all skeptical about this is that I'm worried there'll be an endless barrage of awkward, unfunny jokes. Otherwise, cautiously optimistic.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried that the show is going to lampshade it too hard...but if they can avoid that, I'm all for it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Mind Loving Owl posted:

She's got etheric beam locators!

(Also, Lumley was the first Thirteenth Doctor and she was a woman too!)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Trin Tragula posted:

Doctor in distress! Let's not answer his SOS.

Oh god he's going to do a mysogenistic charity single. With exactly as many famous people involved as Doctor in distress had.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
On a totally unrelated point, I think this is the first ever Doctor to have brown/hazel eyes.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Now that the initial excitement has worn off, I confess to being disappointed they didn't get somebody about 10 years older, but that's all down to my pervy make-gaze brain.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/televisiongays/status/886619625823363072

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hated her character in Broadchurch, don't like her, give me Hayley Atwell instead thanks

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am so loving happy with this decision. Jodie Whitaker is a great choice. She's worked with Chibnall, she's fantastic in Black Mirror and Broadchurch. I haven't been this excited about the next season... well, ever, actually? This is amazing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Valeyard posted:

Hated her character in Broadchurch, don't like her, give me Hayley Atwell instead thanks

Username checks out

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/IanLevine/status/886627111712239616

Cautious optimism is probably the best way to think about this. If nothing else, it's a good highlight of who is a *Fan of the show* & who actually takes to heart the good will it generally tries to expose.

I'm hoping they don't go too heavy handed with the transition & avoid making the obvious jokes, but hey, if it's in service of a good storyline I'll be game.

As someone who hasn't watched the last season and a half of the show, I'll definitely be tunin' in.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Fictional time travellers don't have vaginas, insist morons.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

Random note, I hope she keeps the hood. Hoods are cool.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vinylshadow posted:

That awkward moment when the Doctor's been driving like a woman for over 2300 years...

We've been prepared for this moment ever since 1967 and it's our own fault for not listening

"Now, this is important. If the spring on Fast Return switch gets stuck, you're going to - look, would you pay attention?! No, you know what, gently caress it. Getting crushed in the Big Bang's too good for you."

Doesn't even make it three serials in before forgetting that one. :laugh:

Fil5000 posted:

Oh god he's going to do a mysogenistic charity single. With exactly as many famous people involved as Doctor in distress had.

"No Doctors in Dis Dress" :mad:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My only takeaway at the moment is that from now on I won't try to guess who any future Doctors are until I see who's name gets thrown into the mix a day or two before the announcement's due. :v:

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

“The Doctor has a long history of not using his penis to resolve issues across time and space, and we’re confident that Jodie Whittaker will have no issues in continuing that fine tradition.”

This, this is the perfect response.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

this… would actually kick so much rear end.

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

EatinCake posted:

This, this is the perfect response.

See, this would be a problem if this was Dr. Loo and the Phaleks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TinTower posted:

Yeah, that sounds loving awesome.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Screw Branagh, reshoot Murder on the Orient Express.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

TinTower posted:

There's a trailer for a new Jackie Chan movie where it's essentially Taken, but Jackie Chan is Liam Neeson. It looks so loving good. Jackie Chan for every role, to be honest.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sad King Billy posted:

On a totally unrelated point, I think this is the first ever Doctor to have brown/hazel eyes.

Nah Tennant has huge puppydog brown eyes.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Aside from just being happy they went with a woman, I'm glad the rumor about them looking for another Tennant-type was wrong, not because I'd necessarily be opposed to another Tennant-type, but because it drove me crazy how quickly people latched onto that as if it was 100% confirmed fact.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure I am about to be banned from GB, RIP

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Doctor Who: A long history of not using his penis

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Wheat Loaf posted:

(I know Davison's against it, or at least was last time he was asked.)

Pfft. He was boring, and not even one of the good ones.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
It says a lot that, out of all the "DOCTOR WHO RUINED CUCKS PC CULTURE FEMINAZIS" reactions to this I've seen, not one yet has said "They should've had Kris Marshall."

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Super excited and happy about this, but my next question is:

Is she a fan? Has she done work on anything science-fiction/fantasy related before?

Has she been in comedy, drama or somewhere in-between?

I mean, she is an actress so she can (hopefully) work in any type of character, but I wonder what her predispositions are.

Especially the trailer we had looks kind of...hmm, somber and mystical? Do we think we have a more dramatic doctor, and a less "wacky" one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Diabolik900 posted:

Aside from just being happy they went with a woman, I'm glad the rumor about them looking for another Tennant-type was wrong, not because I'd necessarily be opposed to another Tennant-type, but because it drove me crazy how quickly people latched onto that as if it was 100% confirmed fact.

well it's really believable.

My older sister is a big fan of the show too - and also, she's a hero to me, so I'm not talking poo poo here - and she got mad at how weird looking Smith is and old and cranky Capaldi was. Also, every woman who was a fan I've talked to has said that Tennant was their favorite. It's a really believable rumor because it feels like it's what a lot of fans would actually like to see, especially since people don't think that Chibnal's that much of a visionary.

Then again that's not saying the show couldn't be like Tennant's run in tone and actions. Maybe Jody will sword fight an alien in her first appearance. I'm just saying here.

• Locked thread