Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

At the very least, your Penelo and Vaan are optimized for the best magic and phys damage respectively, so let's see you not lean on them by the end of the game :smug:

e: im a loving goon
We'll see. I'm using Penelo but wasn't planning to use Vaan much. Maybe if I need him to beat trial mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

DoubleCakes posted:

Penelo is using magic pretty much exclusively now. Her Warpage passive ensures that when she does an AOE spell and she hits multiple enemies she recovers more MP than she uses.

I can't remember. Was vanilla FFXII like this? I remember having trouble keeping my MP reserves up so they might have tweaked Warmage in IZJS or ZA.

Nah AoE spells kept your MP up fine. Magic was good in Vanilla until you butted up against the damage cap / spell queue.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Good god I forgot how bad Vaan's voice actor is. Why didn't they re-record the voices for this release? His delivery is uniformly awful and I can't stand to leave the English voices on solely because of him. Sucks because I like a lot of the other main voice actors :(

I'm Captain Basch!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Pureauthor posted:

I'm Captain Basch!

I just did this part last night. I thought it was impossible until I googled the trick to it.

The voice acting hasn't been terrible, mostly because I keep comparing it in my head to FFX. Vaan is the worst so far, but still not ruining the game or anything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Vaan is the worst but the voice acting in general (and the script translation itself) are light years ahead of FFX. Even Fran sounding like Bjork comes off as inspired rather than just weird. Balthier, Basch, Vayne, Vayne's little brother, Ashe, the Judges, are all fantastic.

Too bad the plot kind of stops for like 20 hours halfway through.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The direction itself is just way better than in X. You still get some of those moments where they rush the line to fit it into the lip flaps but overall it's a stellar dub.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I might be dumb/early in the game/misunderstanding the gambit system, is it possible to set my Black Mage (Ashe, currently) to cast Fire when she's low on MP? The gambit for <20% MP says it attacks the target, which is set to herself. Will she cast Fire on herself, or am I missing that HER TARGET (i.e the enemy she's targeting) will get Fire when she's low on MP from casting Aqua?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Classtoise posted:

I might be dumb/early in the game/misunderstanding the gambit system, is it possible to set my Black Mage (Ashe, currently) to cast Fire when she's low on MP? The gambit for <20% MP says it attacks the target, which is set to herself. Will she cast Fire on herself, or am I missing that HER TARGET (i.e the enemy she's targeting) will get Fire when she's low on MP from casting Aqua?

There should be a gambit you can buy for "Foe: Self MP < 20" or something similar

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The FFX had no choice on direction. They literally had to fit perfectly in the japanese gap or else the game would crash. That's why you had rapid-fire YES from Yuna all the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Did they completely re-render all the FMV? It looks dead gorgeous and it can't just be the fact that I'm not playing on an SDTV this time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pureauthor posted:

I'm Captain Basch!

That part of the game is the HA HA HA HA HA of XII.

"BASCH LIVES!" oh my god, I swear I'm not with this kid, he's just kinda...

(Why didn't Basch himself do it? Wouldn't that be like 1,000x more effective than some kid claiming to be a dead captain? I mean...)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah, but they'll have had the original source from before they compressed it to hell to fit on a DVD.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I legit don't understand you if you don't love that minigame

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

Did they completely re-render all the FMV? It looks dead gorgeous and it can't just be the fact that I'm not playing on an SDTV this time.

XII was late enough (long after X or Advent Children) that it was almost assuredly rendered at much much higher resolution than PS2 could hold, and then downgraded/compressed down to a reasonable format for the time and the disc.

So they probably have original masters that are at least like 1080.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Arist posted:

its the best part of the drat game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Arist posted:

The guards look too similar to the villagers, so its easy to waste lots of progress, and the villagers themselves are super inconsistent as to which will count or not. Sometimes you get 3 people sometimes you only get 1 even though there's 2 or so.

Plus at first you assume the range of shouting "BASCH LIVES" is more than 1ft radius, which is apparently how the game mechanic works. (so its possible to shout at people right next to a guard as long as you yourself aren't right next to a guard)

Its just janky

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I've never had a problem with that minigame. You can stand in front of reporters and get it done even faster.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Zaphod42 posted:

"BASCH LIVES!" oh my god, I swear I'm not with this kid, he's just kinda...

(Why didn't Basch himself do it? Wouldn't that be like 1,000x more effective than some kid claiming to be a dead captain? I mean...)
I think there was some tortuous explanation that there would be Archadian loyalists who would recognize Basch and bring down the hammer, where some street urchin running around doing Basch pranks would be enough to signal to the resistance that someone was trying to get the Marquis' attention.

e. And yeah, its basically not a minigame, its a bit of world building interactivity. Its meant to teach you the guides are the Marquis' intelligence agents, hence its nearly impossible to complete without just targeting the guides.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

good? yes, i agree

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mill Village posted:

I've never had a problem with that minigame. You can stand in front of reporters and get it done even faster.

I got the meter to 50% from just one reporter dude.

It can take forever if you don't cotton on to that, though.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Can't decide who gets my 1st esper...but it doesn't look like Belias really gives anyone anything wonderful

There was a job planner posted a while back, how exactly do I get that to my Google Drive to edit?

hagie fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 16, 2017

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

X-2 was too easy for my taste. Even by FF standards I found things dull and repetitive. You get all these Dresspheres but what do you need them for? To look at lady bits? I guess Mascot is supposed to be really good and doesn't involve the girls wearing more and more revealing attire but I just never saw any reason to diversify when you get Dark Knight so early and it destroys everything.

VIII and X-2 are the most boring games in the series to play, IMO. Okay, maybe VI is more boring considering I've never even finished it.

Also, while I liked the stuff mentioned by ZBM such as interrupting enemy attacks or proper charge times for spells, I remember the battle system having some glaring technical problems involving how abilities are queued up. Like, you'll enter a command well before the boss and you'll have a full bar ready to go but the boss will still get to go before you.

There aren't any technical issues, them's just the battle mechanics. Charged abilities always go in order according to the queue, and instant abilities have more flexibility

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gigglefeimer posted:

There aren't any technical issues, them's just the battle mechanics. Charged abilities always go in order according to the queue, and instant abilities have more flexibility

Well it seems pretty dumb when you are sitting there with a full bar forever and the Magus Sisters each gets to use a move before you do.

hagie posted:

Can't decide who gets my 1st esper...but it doesn't look like Belias really gives anyone anything wonderful

There was a job planner posted a while back, how exactly do I get that to my Google Drive to edit?

I gave him to Ashe for story reasons.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think the amount of hype the XII remake has made means it deserves it's own thread cause I see like a ton of posts and it's all about team compositions.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah because we have so much else to talk about in the general FF thread, such as which is the worst one.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Well it seems pretty dumb when you are sitting there with a full bar forever and the Magus Sisters each gets to use a move before you do.

What's dumb about actions going in order according to the queue?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

seiferguy posted:

I think the amount of hype the XII remake has made means it deserves it's own thread cause I see like a ton of posts and it's all about team compositions.

i cant believe people are talking about the newest (well, kinda) final fantasy in the final fantasy thread

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

hagie posted:

The espers sound like the ultimate source of analysis paralysis in this game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

Could be but most of them are pretty inconsequential

http://www.rpgsite.net/feature/5783...-to-use-them-on

Here's a convenient list of what they give each job's board, so you can quickly compare.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gigglefeimer posted:

What's dumb about actions going in order according to the queue?

It's been a long time since I played X-2 but the way I remember it is that I selected my move long before the boss ever could have gotten a turn to select their move. I started doing something before they ever did, like using Stash or whatever, yet they will still start a move and use that move before I can get off my Mega Potion.

I haven't played X-2 in nearly a decade though so I dunno. Just going off memories about why I didn't play it that much.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ROFL Octopus posted:

Nah, they're a fraction of the importance of, say, GFs in VIII.

Hell, thanks to how they weigh your stats, summons in XII are probably less consequential than summon materia in VII.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Nah, they're a fraction of the importance of, say, GFs in VIII.

Hell, thanks to how they weigh your stats, summons in XII are probably less consequential than summon materia in VII.

they matter a lot because you get spells from the areas they unlock, hth

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

they matter a lot because you get spells from the areas they unlock, hth

yeah he very clearly meant important in terms of stats. The entire conversation is about overanalyzing who gets which espers you loving tool

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arist posted:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Because the real Basch is still trying to lay low. They're just trying to get the Resistance's attention, not actually reveal Basch's existence.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Testify in front of people holding books
Don't testify in front of people wearing swords
You can testify in shops

The whole thing at x4 speed should take two minutes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Am I stupid or not far enough in the game for better Gambits or am I remembering wrong?

Is it possible to set a Gambit that, say, casts Protect on your tanky party member, but only if they don't already have it on them? Tried to "set it and forget it" in the Lhusu Mines and Fran just kept chain-casting Protect on Ashe (as a Katana class she has literally triple the HP Time Mage Vaan has haha) instead of smacking skeletons with her mace.

e: and yes I'm aware I can set the priority for Protect so that she only casts it when there are no enemies around but that's not what I'm trying to do, also for boss fights that obviously wouldn't work

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

zedprime posted:

I think there was some tortuous explanation that there would be Archadian loyalists who would recognize Basch and bring down the hammer, where some street urchin running around doing Basch pranks would be enough to signal to the resistance that someone was trying to get the Marquis' attention.

e. And yeah, its basically not a minigame, its a bit of world building interactivity. Its meant to teach you the guides are the Marquis' intelligence agents, hence its nearly impossible to complete without just targeting the guides.

If you go into the weapon and armor shops an are careful not to do it around Archadian soldiers, it's not too difficult to rack up the percentages easy.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Every hunt so far has been me looking up the hunt and seeing it's vulnerable to immobilize and pelting it with ranged weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

precision posted:

Am I stupid or not far enough in the game for better Gambits or am I remembering wrong?

Is it possible to set a Gambit that, say, casts Protect on your tanky party member, but only if they don't already have it on them? Tried to "set it and forget it" in the Lhusu Mines and Fran just kept chain-casting Protect on Ashe (as a Katana class she has literally triple the HP Time Mage Vaan has haha) instead of smacking skeletons with her mace.

e: and yes I'm aware I can set the priority for Protect so that she only casts it when there are no enemies around but that's not what I'm trying to do, also for boss fights that obviously wouldn't work

Which gambit are you using? I do the same thing with my tank Basch and just have my gambit set to Ally: Basch > Protect and it works fine.