Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would it take for the likes of Tumblr to be shut down (bonus if in an FBI operation)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I honestly find it fascinating that this guy has any following at all. It's not just that his political ideas are terrible, but he's also just genuinely really stupid. Like, in a "does not perform well with cognitive tasks" sense. All his points are the sort of thing a random 16 year old might come up with, but a bunch of people take him seriously because of his accent.

It goes back to that reddit post I quoted; the guy's not even wrong. He doesn't do the legwork to even get to the point where he can be wrong.

Sargon isn't interested in critiquing feminism, he's interested in fighting for whatever side can carpet over any nasty political issues that inconvenience white males. He's a subscriber to the "if I can't see it, it doesn't exist" philosophy of politics.

Also in the unlikely event anyone is actually listening to Iambic, please remember

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUD1RvFWzeE

Here is another "debate" he did with Michael Brooks of Majority.FM. He keeps working up to a point, but it's a point that he has built over faulty ideas he extracted from the prevailing sentiments in society. I'll admit that Brooks sorta flexed his mic muscles quite a bit, but uh...I don't really care because gently caress Sargon he was going nowhere fast anyway. So I can't really see this guy being any sort of voice for a critique of leftism, academia or what have you. He is honestly just incompetent in every aspect of his philosophy tbh

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

nobody in this thread has ever pointed to any of the videos in question

i find myself increasingly doubting that said videos exist

how can you keep failing so drastically for so many pages

making wild, baseless accusations of transphobia does nothing to refute the notion that your wild accusations of racism and sexism are also baseless

I want you to understand something: you are a garbage person. Even if you're trolling, you are a garbage person. To even ironically defend Sargon, who laughed while Kristi described a rape scenario during their debate, and he, when asked what analytical framework would replace feminism, said "I don't know, I don't care." He is not interested in constructive dialogue. His is a misogynist and a racist (see the support from the EDL).

You defending this man in any capacity allies you with a man who found rape funny.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I want you to understand something: you are a garbage person. Even if you're trolling, you are a garbage person. To even ironically defend Sargon, who laughed while Kristi described a rape scenario during their debate, and he, when asked what analytical framework would replace feminism, said "I don't know, I don't care." He is not interested in constructive dialogue. His is a misogynist and a racist (see the support from the EDL).

You defending this man in any capacity allies you with a man who found rape funny.

And murder. He also laughed at that one YouTube feminist getting shot and killed.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is Sargon of Akkad's philosophy anyway? Does he cite any philosophers during his videos (in a non-perfunctory manner)?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

And murder. He also laughed at that one YouTube feminist getting shot and killed.
I thought that was just kraut and his crew not Sargon. I don't doubt it, but I like having clips of Sargon being a garbage person on hand to link people all the time. His "Anita caused Elliot Rodger" is a gem to throw in his supporters' faces every single time.

CANON
Jun 7, 2007

Edible Hat posted:

What is Sargon of Akkad's philosophy anyway? Does he cite any philosophers during his videos (in a non-perfunctory manner)?

I think he has read Animal Farm and now claims he is 'well read' regarding Marxism.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

I thought that was just kraut and his crew not Sargon. I don't doubt it, but I like having clips of Sargon being a garbage person on hand to link people all the time. His "Anita caused Elliot Rodger" is a gem to throw in his supporters' faces every single time.

I just remember seeing a video from Dick Coughlan documenting thunderf00t's "leaving the Skeptic Community" in response to that hangout, about the murder and TF started feuding with Sargon over all this, not anyone else. I could swear we did see or hear him laughing but I can't remember for certain.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Speedrun to find Sargon being sexist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj2dfxDPbdc&t=57s (latest video)
Man on TV blankly says women are less intelligent, Sargon rushes to interpret the sentence in a more rational way. Note that Sargon's source is a 2007 blog post with no citations and that contains the word "feministas".

The worst submarine fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 16, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I honestly cannot believe Lambic thinks we in this thread are biased against Sargon. All he does is cherry-pick certain quotes without any substantial evidence if they wanted to prove we were, they would pull up everyone's entire posting history with correct notation indicating the so-called bias.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHUnzHL_h-I

She didn't see a single French Braid in Paris you guys. Clearly the Mooslems have won.

Top Comment

quote:

"I didn't see a single person walking around wearing a stripey shirt and a beret while carrying a baguette! I thought this was France!"

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Edible Hat posted:

I don't think Sargon of Akkad knows what his own philosophy is tbh. He claims to be center left/classically liberal but he keeps supporting far right candidates like Marine Le Pen

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SSNeoman posted:

Here is another "debate" he did with Michael Brooks of Majority.FM. He keeps working up to a point, but it's a point that he has built over faulty ideas he extracted from the prevailing sentiments in society. I'll admit that Brooks sorta flexed his mic muscles quite a bit, but uh...I don't really care because gently caress Sargon he was going nowhere fast anyway. So I can't really see this guy being any sort of voice for a critique of leftism, academia or what have you. He is honestly just incompetent in every aspect of his philosophy tbh

What bugs me is that he rarely even attempts to address most of the obvious counter-arguments to his points. He just says his opinions like they're some obvious truth and moves on. How does anyone watching this stuff not think "hmm maybe this guy is not analyzing these issues in a way that is fair and reasonable"?

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I think the "laughing about the rape" thing was more just Sargon having a default reaction of thinking anyone who disagrees with him must obviously be stupid. Like, when he hears a point he doesn't have a response to, his mind immediately thinks "haha this person must be dumb, whatever they're saying is definitely also dumb." So he laughs derisively to sort of project this impression that he's some smart ~rational~ guy dealing with a dumb child.

I mean, this isn't really any better than what you described, but I just got the impression that it wasn't so much "haha rape is funny" as it was "I don't have any response to this point, so I'll laugh derisively so my audience just assumes the point is dumb."

The worst submarine posted:

Speedrun to find Sargon being sexist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj2dfxDPbdc&t=57s (latest video)
Man on TV blankly says women are less intelligent, Sargon rushes to interpret the sentence in a more rational way. Note that Sargon's source is a 2007 blog post with no citations and that contains the word "feministas".

This video was a good example of what Sargon usually does; he'll give some random evidence (that in most cases he obviously just quickly googled) and just treat it as some authoritative truth. Like, the stuff about male variability in intelligence being greater isn't some universal agreed upon thing; there's a lot of controversy and disagreement in the academic study of human intelligence. But that doesn't matter to Sargon, and in the video he just acts like it's common sense that men would get paid more due to them "naturally" having more geniuses or whatever.

The funny thing about Sargon is that I don't even get the impression he's purposely being dishonest when he does this. I think he's just honestly really stupid and doesn't understand how to do research and interpret what he finds.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 16, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I was going to reply to this earlier but there was a huge amount of shitposting at the time and just how wrong he is when saying this is a bit academic.

When Kristi mentioned that you analyse the data using a feminist framework, she was most likely referring to a particular qualitative research method , where you analyse transcripts about a specific topic using a particular existing theory (framework) such as feminist theory or critical race theory. This is what she has done her research in in the past.

The thing is, Sargon is so wrong in his response that given a short explanation his answers could have actually been correct. "I don't know" (because I haven't seen enough of the data to determine what framework should be applied to it). "I don't care" (because this topic can be better analysed with another type of qualitative research method or with quantitative methods).

Basically, he is a Dunning-Kruger Golem, and has no business talking to actual researchers.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

The funny thing about Sargon is that I don't even get the impression he's purposely being dishonest when he does this. I think he's just honestly really stupid and doesn't understand how to do research and interpret what he finds.

He definitely doesn't read any more than he literally has to. He's got no idea how to interpret anything beyond outright statements and almost zero actual reading comprehension. More than that, I'm pretty sure he's got no curiosity left, intellectual or otherwise- he's not willing to investigate anything beyond the initial finding, which he takes at face value for the minimum amount of time before he confidently asserts that he understands it, which usually means "the title" and "the first picture."

Basically I'm not surprised he's on wingnut welfare, even being a computer janitor requires the ability to read.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Somfin posted:

He definitely doesn't read any more than he literally has to. He's got no idea how to interpret anything beyond outright statements and almost zero actual reading comprehension. More than that, I'm pretty sure he's got no curiosity left, intellectual or otherwise- he's not willing to investigate anything beyond the initial finding, which he takes at face value for the minimum amount of time before he confidently asserts that he understands it, which usually means "the title" and "the first picture."

And why should he?

He's making a comfortable $7k a month from Patreon (that's $84k a year) doing nothing but poorly researched, poorly thought out videos that have a large fanbase willing to overlook said deficiencies. Lord knows what he makes from Youtube ad revenues, though I'd imagine it'd be a reasonable amount.

He's going to ride that money making machine for as long as possible, truth and facts be damned.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I feel the guy wants respect though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

I feel the guy wants respect though.

Yeah, but that's everyone who has a fanbase.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I agree with this. The guy's got the average combination of "Not smart + has opinion + reads book that he doesn't understand = weird rear end interpretation". Which is also why people don't want to waste time on him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

one of his videos he gets angry at an article that goes over every "point" he makes in the video (since he only read the article's title).

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Samovar posted:

I honestly cannot believe Lambic thinks we in this thread are biased against Sargon. All he does is cherry-pick certain quotes without any substantial evidence if they wanted to prove we were, they would pull up everyone's entire posting history with correct notation indicating the so-called bias.

Lack of analysis, not bothering to do any research, cherry picking arguments? This all sounds strangely familiar.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

[incredibly rich evans voice] oh my gaaaaaaaaawd

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

making wild, baseless accusations of transphobia does nothing to refute the notion that your wild accusations of racism and sexism are also baseless

Baseless? Every other page of your favorite thread is filled with proof.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

New Lindsay Ellis video is up, currently Patrons-only. The current title is "Pocahontas Was a Mistake (And Other Disney Hot Takes)". As much as her continuing obsession with Disney can be irksome, what else do you expect from a USC grad? The video does have some interesting discussion of cultural appropriation and colonialism.

She uses the neutral, academic definition of cultural appropriation as a launching point, which may getting her into hot water with some on the tumblr-left. It seems the current dialogue in that sphere is that "cultural appropriation" is any type of cultural appropriation that occurs between cultures with an uneven power dynamic, and and appropriation between cultures on an even power dynamic is instead "cultural exchange". So even though Ellis specifically talks about how that kind of different power dynamic between cultures can be the difference between appropriation being bad or just being shrug-worthy, the fact that she says the words "cultural appropriation is itself neutral" is probably gonna raise some hackles.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Grouchio posted:

What would it take for the likes of Tumblr to be shut down (bonus if in an FBI operation)?

Social media doesn't make money, just wait it out

Edible Hat posted:

"Don't tell me what to do"

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

"Don't tell me what to do"
"Don't make me take my diarrhea medication, MOM!"

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Edible Hat posted:

The typical philosophy of these kinds of people is "common sense," aka "whatever I happened to think of first is the null hypothesis."

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Edible Hat posted:

Be mean to people and make it illegal for the victim to stand up for themselves or for anyone to come to their aid. Also make it illegal for people to be mean to you in return for you being mean to others.

It all boils down to them wanting to say nasty things with no repercussion.

Blacks are subhuman. Girls are less intelligent. Girls are shallow. Gay people are degenerate. Poor people have only themselves to blame. The weak must serve the strong. Society will collapse if being needlessly cruel to people is looked down upon or hindered in any way.

Add in a little misunderstood economics and you have a "philosophy".

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mildly curious to see Carl's take on the new Doctor Who. I'm sure it won't be sexist like his detractors assume.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Edible Hat posted:

he doesnt have one, he may have at one time maybe(i never watched him before not to mention now) basicaly its whatever the cultural left does is bad, thats it, whether it be something good and smart or just some dumb tumblr/twitter hottake bullshit, its all bad to him with no nuance.

LanceHunter posted:

New Lindsay Ellis video is up, currently Patrons-only. The current title is "Pocahontas Was a Mistake (And Other Disney Hot Takes)". As much as her continuing obsession with Disney can be irksome, what else do you expect from a USC grad? The video does have some interesting discussion of cultural appropriation and colonialism.

She uses the neutral, academic definition of cultural appropriation as a launching point, which may getting her into hot water with some on the tumblr-left. It seems the current dialogue in that sphere is that "cultural appropriation" is any type of cultural appropriation that occurs between cultures with an uneven power dynamic, and and appropriation between cultures on an even power dynamic is instead "cultural exchange". So even though Ellis specifically talks about how that kind of different power dynamic between cultures can be the difference between appropriation being bad or just being shrug-worthy, the fact that she says the words "cultural appropriation is itself neutral" is probably gonna raise some hackles.

ehh, gently caress what the tumblr/twitter types think. i'll take Ellis's thought out ideas over some dipshits who think learning/sharing about different cultures is evil and bad. i guess i have a bit a hegel ideal that i think you can learn different ideas from cultures and use them if you give credit and use them positively.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 16, 2017

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
This is from pages ago but everything I know about fox is that every now and then he gets trolled by shaun on twitter, and acts super indignant about it every single time.

Like I don't want to joke about it but I'm pretty sure he has difficulties distinguishing jokes from serious statements.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Edible Hat posted:

Someone mentioned that Carlgon recently read Adam Smith and I'm super curious about his take. I've been reading The Wealth of Nations and the impression that I got is that Adam Smith is not really a "classical liberal" in today's sense, so I wonder if he got that.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Gorn Myson posted:

Mildly curious to see Carl's take on the new Doctor Who. I'm sure it won't be sexist like his detractors assume.

oh my goodness I have been waiting for this exact thing and the inevitable reaction for years.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

1stGear posted:

oh my goodness I have been waiting for this exact thing and the inevitable reaction for years.

It's loving magical.

Imagine the responce if they'd cast a PoC woman, we'd be able to harness that impotent rage into a unfathomable source of power.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Edible Hat posted:

Mostly the British tabloid idea of common sense? He makes me think of a Daily Mail reader, all anger and hate.

If you never been exposed to it let Charlie Brooker give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPlEIryW8zA

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

fallenturtle posted:

Maybe I need to go back and relisten to some vlogs. She didn't seem like she was going TERF.
Oh I haven't watched any of her content in years (she put out useful stuff for the kids less familiar with proper sex ed for sure though) and just been going of the rumor mill.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

In which he condemns BLM with such brilliant points as "HEH YOU SAY YOU WANT TO END THE CRIMINALIZATION OF BLACK PEOPLE, SO DOES THAT MEAN YOU WANT A BLACK MURDERER TO GO FREE?!" and just denies that black people are treated that badly in general (like saying higher black crime rates are just due to the breakdown of the nuclear family and absence of a father figure, which is a really common racist talking point)

so by your own admission you watched his video and found nothing racist except a "common racist talking point" that isn't actually in and of itself racist; you just like to imagine that racists use it

Ytlaya posted:

In which he makes the brilliant point (among many, many others) - "40% of white Americans support BLM while 65% of black Americans support it; this means more white people support BLM than black people and therefore it's a white movement!" (which is something that would always be true unless the vast majority of white people disliked the movement in question)

so you disagree with him about who supports BLM, and again found no racist statements in his video to point to

Ytlaya posted:

In which he tries to rules-lawyer the concept of racism by linking to the dictionary definition and arbitrarily deciding it is "more correct" than the the idea of racism involving the combination of prejudice + power (among many, many other dumb points)

so you disagree with him about the definition of racism, and again -- lo and behold -- found no racist statements in his video

maybe you should give up

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

By the feminist/SJW (for a lack of a better term) definition of racism as prejudice + power, is that a specific kind of power (like say political power) or all types of power? Genuinely curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Midig posted:

By the feminist/SJW (for a lack of a better term) definition of racism as prejudice + power, is that a specific kind of power (like say political power) or all types of power? Genuinely curious.

The idea is that people are affected differently by impersonal social forces and the American tradition since the 60s has been to think of racism in exclusively personal and deliberate terms. So any time you want to talk about anything structural, people will push back on using the term racism unless there's a fat, slovenly southern man saying that he caused it specifically to hurt black people. But there has to be a way to talk about disproportionate outcomes causes by issues of inertia or an imbalance of representation or perspective.

What they ought to do is bring back a term like race hatred to describe racists or deliberate acts, but that upsets the applecart of plausible deniability that causes white people to understand racism in that narrow way in the first place.

• Locked thread