Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

haha they got so tired of not being able to predict which cards would be played in standard they gave up trying

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gustav posted:

Can't possibly be real

The article is full of weird changes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
How are they so bad at trying to get people to play FNM and Standard?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
however, the foil lands look good and also give rebecca guay more work

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

mandatory lesbian posted:

however, the foil lands look good and also give rebecca guay more work

The foil lands are apparently not full art, and therefore will be used by literally no one where I play, including myself.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

How are they so bad at trying to get people to play FNM and Standard?

They feel fnm pulls away interested for standard showdown. Standard showdown is getting the cool promos. This is the kind of change only WOTC could gently caress up.

Instead, you could do the cool promo lands that everyone would want for fnm but no, that would be too easy. Hey wait, you could do these land promos for BOTH EVENTS! I am a tactical genius. Hire me WOTC.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Gustav posted:

The foil lands are apparently not full art, and therefore will be used by literally no one where I play, including myself.

All basics and vanilla creatures should be full art by default.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Magic is in real trouble here and WotC is making token changes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

odiv posted:

Literally!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Problem: Our promo is a card nobody plays.

Solution: Our promo will be a token created by one card nobody plays.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

odiv posted:

:golfclap:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
2017: The year we discover that the people in charge don't actually know what the gently caress they're doing.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
The foil Rebecca Guay lands for standard showdown are nice for an event that no one goes to but holy poo poo... double sided tokens replacing the actual Cards? What the gently caress Wizards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

2017: The year we discover that the people in charge don't actually know what the gently caress they're doing.

this has been obvious for the past few years tho

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Problem: Our promo is a card nobody plays.

Solution: Our promo will be a token created by one card nobody plays.

lol yea i can't wait for those sick servo and vampire knight tokens

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 16, 2017

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

C-Euro posted:

This has been the general consensus on the company for a few years now, but it's always nice to have first-hand confirmation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Remember how simple it was to make mtg promos something people showed up for?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Cernunnos posted:

This has been the general consensus on the company for a few years now, but it's always nice to have first-hand confirmation.

mandatory lesbian posted:

this has been obvious for the past few years tho

My statement was meant to encompass the entire world, not just Wizards!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sickening posted:

Those having new art that not everybody liked and only being available as foils (which is apparently a problem for some people) kept them from completely tanking the price of the originals and drawing out massive complaints from the grognard crowd too.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Whenever there has been a decent promo more people show up to FNM. If it was a modern staple then even more people showed up. Aether hub had more folks coming out to FNM and when reverse engineer replaced it there was a sizable drop in attendance.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Sickening posted:

I mean, they clearly know this; Renegade Rallier and Fatal Push are coming up and people are very excited about it, talking about how they're not gonna miss a single upcoming FNM. Apparently this is a problem that needs solving.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cernunnos posted:

Those having new art that not everybody liked and only being available as foils (which is apparently a problem for some people) kept them from completely tanking the price of the originals and drawing out massive complaints from the grognard crowd too.

Serum Visions I understand because lol but who didn't like Bastion Path? It's the clear best Path art.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

wizards please continue to print format staples in the old border. thanks

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well it was a fun game while it lasted

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone try out both the UB and MonoU versions of that mill deck? I'm curious of the relative advantages.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Why aren't these Mono-B zombie decks running flaying tentacles in the board?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it kills and exiles your own stuff if you don't have specifically lord of the accursed

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Lol they also booked in the Ixlan "Store Champion" tournament (replaces Game Day) for new years eve

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/clozeone/status/886646649753391104

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I heard they're moving to double sided tokens because they're phasing out the card backs because they're moving to Magic V2 which is a brand new game where they can legally reprint the reserve list. My uncle works at wotc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Treating easy to solve problems like they are impossible. One step forward, 3 steps back.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it kills and exiles your own stuff if you don't have specifically lord of the accursed

Or Liliana's Mastery? Every time I've seen mono-B zombies lose to Monument is when they get chumped out of the damage race.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

suicidesteve posted:

Serum Visions I understand because lol but who didn't like Bastion Path? It's the clear best Path art.

Bastion Path is nice, Rebecca Guay's Path is my favorite though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

AceClown posted:

Lol they also booked in the Ixlan "Store Champion" tournament (replaces Game Day) for new years eve

If you're not hosting a NYE party, you're free until 7 or 8 PM that day. It's not the worst.

All of these changes are good, it's just that the FNM promo change is so bad it negates all of them.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I haven't played Standard since KLD and I will probably be putting a deck together just to get my hands on those sweet, sweet Push promos.

So of course they've decided to never do something like this again.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BJPaskoff posted:

All of these changes are good, it's just that the FNM promo change is so bad it negates all of them.

That article is a whole lot of stuff no one will ever care about (Oh no FNM seasons are changing! Wait, FNM has seasons?) with the the bad thing people will care about hidden in the middle.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Honestly, losing actual card promos is a downer for most people, but even beyond that making it that it's a single promo for the life of a set? You don't need more than one or two tokens. If there was a sweet promo, you'd be trying to get a playset in the 4 or 5 weeks it was available.

Now, uou have 3 months to get a single promo, meaning you're not incentivised to turn up if you don't care too much.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mehall posted:

Honestly, losing actual card promos is a downer for most people, but even beyond that making it that it's a single promo for the life of a set? You don't need more than one or two tokens. If there was a sweet promo, you'd be trying to get a playset in the 4 or 5 weeks it was available.

Now, uou have 3 months to get a single promo, meaning you're not incentivised to turn up if you don't care too much.

What poo poo logic. Oh no, I didn't win this thing I wanted. Its better to have things you aren't disappointed in not getting.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Are there any VoDs anywhere of anyone playing that sweet new mill deck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Sickening posted:

What poo poo logic. Oh no, I didn't win this thing I wanted. Its better to have things you aren't disappointed in not getting.

Im not saying swapping to tokens isn't a bad thing, but that's what everyone is focusing on. Even if they kept promo cards rather than tokens, 3 month seasons would be an awful change anyway. (except for the occassional time there was an okay promo)