Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This is the latest Doctor Who

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just "the Doctor"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know that but "this is the latest the doctor" sounds weird

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Recently heard about Trial and Error and watched the pilot. I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it, and the quirkiness reminds me of The Good Place. Does the rest of the season hold up?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mu Zeta posted:

I know that but "this is the latest the doctor" sounds weird

I am a pedant. I'll take weirdness over wrongness any day. And this is after a morning of seeing various news articles get it wrong. At least I've seen blessed few trying to classify her as "the Lady Doctor" outside of headlines.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

The trailer spoiled a shitload of the season off the top of my head.

If it's in the trailer it's probably not that big of a spoiler, I imagine

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bruceski posted:

Penn & Teller: Fool Us is back for another season and it had a solid first episode. The trailer focused on large prop tricks so I was worried it had turned into Masters of Illusion but they seem to still have the more intimate, smaller (but not simpler) tricks and after another season or two Alyson Hannigan might actually look comfortable on stage.

I randomly caught an episode of that show and I thought for sure that had to be someone that just looked a lot like Alyson Hannigan. How did she wind up there? Did the later seasons of HIMYM trash her career so hard that she had to settle for co-host on a CW talent show?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ. People are flipping their poo poo over Lady Doctor.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Rhyno posted:

That's not a surprise. I imagine the only way they would flip their poo poo harder would be if the Doctor were black.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

raditts posted:

I imagine the only way they would flip their poo poo harder would be if the Doctor were black.

not if it would've been someone like Idris Elba

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Never watched Dr. Who but Jodi Whittaker was great in the miniseries The Assets.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

They've established a pattern of the Doctor being a strange looking British man for nerdy women to be inexplicably attracted to, it's no surprise that fans are going to see this new casting as a betrayal.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

less laughter posted:

See you say that, but there are plenty of people pissed off that he's the Gunslinger.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

less laughter posted:

If people didn't want Elba to be James Bond, can you imagine the response from a nerdier and more toxic fanbase?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My twitter timeline was full of people complaining about people complaining about the 13th being a woman with no actual examples so I went on twitter and looked through the hashtags and even now I'm only seeing a handful of actually mad people. I'm seeing more people complaining that the Doctor is still white than complaining that the Doctor is female.

Which is great! Bury those manchild fuckboy opinons in a wave of positivity.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

My twitter timeline was full of people complaining about people complaining about the 13th being a woman with no actual examples so I went on twitter and looked through the hashtags and even now I'm only seeing a handful of actually mad people. I'm seeing more people complaining that the Doctor is still white than complaining that the Doctor is female.

It's like when the most recent E3 had a bunch of black woman characters in games and there were articles on gaming sites that were just "we went to 4chan to see if people were mad about black ladies and they were. Here are some posts of people being racist we screencapped"

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Recently heard about Trial and Error and watched the pilot. I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it, and the quirkiness reminds me of The Good Place. Does the rest of the season hold up?

For me it has actually improved on it, but I was hooked by the pilot. Definitely go for it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is Vikings good?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Guy Goodbody posted:

Is Vikings good?

It's decent but there's some weird censorship with the US streaming versions where every service that has it has the History Channel version.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The uncensored one has some nudity and gore but it doesn't really feel that different. I think the Blu Rays are the only way to see the uncensored ones in the US.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

I looked at a few facebook posts reporting the news, and the first couple dozen posts were all of the "A BLOO BLOO HOW COULD THEY DO THIS THE SHOW IS OVER I BET IT WILL BE CANCELLED AFTER HALF AN EPISODE" variety, with a couple posts mocking those people mixed in.

As if the shitawful writing of the last few seasons was no problem, but ~*~a woman doctor~*~ would somehow sink the show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

I randomly caught an episode of that show and I thought for sure that had to be someone that just looked a lot like Alyson Hannigan. How did she wind up there? Did the later seasons of HIMYM trash her career so hard that she had to settle for co-host on a CW talent show?

Maybe she's just a fan? Penn and Teller are pretty cool dudes I would do a show with them for free.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vikings is great and the censorship is negligible and has no bearing on the plot of the episodes at all. I think Amazon Prime has the uncensored episodes anyway.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Reminder: The final season of FX's The Strain premieres tonight.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the show cancelled? What the gently caress? I had to google to be sure you weren't making a joke. What in the hell. :psyboom:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently Timothy Omundson had a stroke not too long ago? I hadn't heard that anywhere, but it was mentioned in an article I just read on the Psych movie.

He's not in the bulk of the movie because of it (they almost called off the whole thing) but he is in parts of it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 16, 2017

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

raditts posted:

If people didn't want Elba to be James Bond, can you imagine the response from a nerdier and more toxic fanbase?

Do you honestly think the fanbase of a show built around change and hope and inclusivity is more toxic than a fan base built around a masculine action fantasy where women are disposable objects?

I can guarantee that 99% of the Doctor Who fan base aren't mad about this move and I would wager that over half is actually happy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you honestly think the fanbase of a show built around change and hope and inclusivity is more toxic than a fan base built around a masculine action fantasy where women are disposable objects?

I can guarantee that 99% of the Doctor Who fan base aren't mad about this move and I would wager that over half is actually happy.

The James Bond fanbase is a lot bigger, it's something normal people like. Plus, some James Bond movies are good. The Doctor Who fanbase is just British children and truly tasteless nerds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And middle aged women but they lost a lot of those with the ugly old guy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently Timothy Omundson had a stroke not too long ago? I hadn't heard that anywhere, but it was mentioned in an article I just read on the Psych musical.

He's not in the bulk of the movie because of it (they almost called off the whole thing) but he is in parts of it.

He's rather young for it so hopefully he'll be able to bounce right back. A couple of years ago my mother had a mild stroke and she wasn't that much older than Omundson is now and she made a full recovery.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nice try, still not gonna watch it.

(And I actually liked the first couple of Moffat-ran series)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

lelandjs posted:

Nice try, still not gonna watch it.

(And I actually liked the first couple of Moffat-ran series)

Moffat's leaving so the show might become watchable.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

Moffat's leaving so the show might become watchable.

Oh poo poo, how'd I miss that news?

Disappointed it's not Ayoade though, of all the actors/actresses out there he's easily my first pick for the Doctor.

[Edit: Tilda Swinton is a close second]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 16, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Getting an actual beloved actor/actress with significant chops would be breaking with the show's tradition.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoy Doctor Who in the right mood or on a binge.

But I had this most recent season piled up on my DVR, painfully dragged myself through a few episodes, and then gave up.

I'll probably just do the same thing I always do and binge it on Amazon in the winter.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Getting an actual beloved actor/actress with significant chops would be breaking with the show's tradition.

3/4 of the Doctors since the revival started have been this though

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

3/4 of the Doctors since the revival started have been this though

Name one, because from where I stand they're all nobody tv/stage actors. Did I miss an Ian McKellen doctor somewhere in there?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh, so by "beloved" you meant "famous"? Cause like....Eccleston and Capaldi are both massively acclaimed actors with huge fanbases, and Tennant was a very well-established stage actor when he was cast (although arguably he goes alongside Smith as being someone who's profile was massively raised by his casting, as compared to Eccleston/Capaldi, who were already mainstays).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Lurdiak posted:

Name one, because from where I stand they're all nobody tv/stage actors. Did I miss an Ian McKellen doctor somewhere in there?

Eccleston, Tennant and Capaldi were all well regarded and famous actors here in the UK before they were cast. In fact Eccleston and Capaldi were already household names and yes, I would say they were beloved.

Plus John Hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh God the new Who showrunner wrote the Cyberwoman episode of Torchwood

• Locked thread