Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
I think what really soured me on her was how quickly the gang forgave her. In a single day they handwaved her blackmail and overall lovely attitude towards them.

Maybe this gets brought up or addressed later, but right now it just felt rushed and forced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TurkeyFried posted:

I think what really soured me on her was how quickly the gang forgave her. In a single day they handwaved her blackmail and overall lovely attitude towards them.

Maybe this gets brought up or addressed later, but right now it just felt rushed and forced.

It doesn't, and it's a small but recurring problem I had with the game in general. You may have noticed that yusuke's absurdly creepy obsession with ann has been silently dropped with no acknowledgement whatsoever, and she just about never treats him as if that happened after that point, which is pretty ridiculous. There's an extremely similar case to makoto's, after where you are, when I was waiting for absolutely anyone to acknowledge something but they didn't.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TurkeyFried posted:

I had the issue more with Yusuke who blackmails the party to get Ann naked which I found way more hosed up and offputting than anything anyone else does.

Like what Makoto does is literally nothing in comparison. And Yusuke's stuff is even less addressed

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Zore posted:

I had the issue more with Yusuke who blackmails the party to get Ann naked which I found way more hosed up and offputting than anything anyone else does.

Like what Makoto does is literally nothing in comparison. And Yusuke's stuff is even less addressed

Yeah, I pretty much benched Yusuke as soon as he joined because of this. That whole thing was pretty gross and unnecessary.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

J-Spot posted:

Yeah, I pretty much benched Yusuke as soon as he joined because of this. That whole thing was pretty gross and unnecessary.

Then you're missing out because dude has the new galactic punt. He uses his Hanzo Steel to just instagib dudes.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

Yusuke didn't bother me as much.

He chills out after he gets his Persona, which I'm guessing is gonna happen with Makoto as well. I think the story did a much better job making him seem sympathetic during his first trip into the Metaverse.

Makoto's clearly trying way too hard on all counts, and I wish the group called her out on it. Everyone is real quick to befriend her minutes after she put them 3mil in debt, which is pretty out of character for Ann and even more so for Ryuji.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

About Makoto's error
faced with injustice, Makoto does a rash and foolhardy thing that confirms their target, while also putting the PT in direct danger. Obviously, she's Phantom Thief material.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

Was what Yusude did actually blackmail? It happened because they were approaching and interrogating him, and if Ann had said no to the nude modelling, their investigation would've been over, but that would've been it.

On the other hand, Makoto is gonna turn them to the police, or get them expelled if they don't comply with her. She was also the aggressor in this situation, and without her coming to them there wouldn't have been a problem to begin with.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TurkeyFried posted:

Was what Yusude did actually blackmail? It happened because they were approaching and interrogating him, and if Ann had said no to the nude modelling, their investigation would've been over, but that would've been it.

On the other hand, Makoto is gonna turn them to the police, or get them expelled if they don't comply with her. She was also the aggressor in this situation, and without her coming to them there wouldn't have been a problem to begin with.

They're going around rewriting minds dude, all she asked for was them to prove they're on the level about it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
My only problem with Makoto is that during her awakening she doesn't drop an f-bomb.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TurkeyFried posted:

Yusuke threatens to turn them into the police if Ann doesn't agree to strip for him. He even gives them a deadline etc.

Its pretty gross.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Makoto's blackmail is dropped because the player is given insight into the circumstances that drove her to it and the characters' ire is dampened by how a) the problem was caused by Ryuji's big mouth, and b) Makoto herself tried to throw herself on her own sword in front of the Yakuza immediately after, which would make any further recrimination just kicking her while she's down.

Yusuke's blackmail is dropped because it was an idiotic gag penned by the same wunderkinder who brought us 45 minutes of "ha ha, a fat girl" jokes in Persona 4.

Neither is worth getting hung up over.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Also Makoto's actions are the reason you can enter the palace in the first place. You have to change Kaneshiro's cognition by confronting him directly in the real world and she happened to stumble across the solution. Technically she did you a favor even if it was very reckless. Also you just drag her into the metaverse without even discussing it with her first.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Makoto's blackmail is dropped because the player is given insight into the circumstances that drove her to it and the characters' ire is dampened by how a) the problem was caused by Ryuji's big mouth, and b) Makoto herself tried to throw herself on her own sword in front of the Yakuza immediately after, which would make any further recrimination just kicking her while she's down.

Yusuke's blackmail is dropped because it was an idiotic gag penned by the same wunderkinder who brought us 45 minutes of "ha ha, a fat girl" jokes in Persona 4.

Neither is worth getting hung up over.

Can't really disagree with that. Just for curiosity:
Not sure which (Ryuji's big mouth) incident you're referring to. I mean, there's a lot of them.

I guess it just felt too sudden to me, like her arc could've cooked for another week or so. And Ryuuji's impulsiveness gets mocked by the other phantom thieves, so it seemed weird that hers was treated heroically?

....I'm being unreasonable with my distaste for her aren't I?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If I recall, you first start seeing cutscenes with her meeting the principal, like, at least a couple of weeks before she joins the party, so maybe

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Yeah Makoto is introduced before the second palace even begins, although not directly to the main characters.

Edit: also (slightly after palace 3) she basically tells the principal to gently caress off in regards to the phantom thieves investigation so that makes her cool in my book.

Cnidaria fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 16, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TurkeyFried posted:

Not sure which (Ryuji's big mouth) incident you're referring to. I mean, there's a lot of them.

I guess it just felt too sudden to me, like her arc could've cooked for another week or so. And Ryuuji's impulsiveness gets mocked by the other phantom thieves, so it seemed weird that hers was treated heroically?

Later on I would say so, but at that point she's awful and I felt the same way about yusuke during his introductory period as well as the character who comes after makoto. For some reason persona 5 has three characters in a row who get introduced to you by being as goddamn unlikable as possible and then instantly the other characters forget all about that. They all get much better over time though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Makoto is at no point "awful," lol, she's a character who starts out putting you in a threatening position that is immediately softened by her hilariously terrible methods of stalking you and everyone in every scene until she joins constantly dunking on her

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is hard to hate a character who is so awful at attempting to track your movements that she runs around in the rain with an umbrella in one hand and a manga in the other hand.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Makoto is pretty boring but she does have the traits that the internet loves so it's not hard to see why she is so liked.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The thing to bear in mind is that the Phantom Thieves were all brought together by a common theme: Being used/abused/hosed over by authority figures who were all too willing to abuse their positions because they could.
Every party member is just a different flavor of that theme. Hell, even most (if not all) of the Social Links follow that to a certain degree. Morgana might be the one exception to this.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Makoto is pretty boring but she does have the traits that the internet loves so it's not hard to see why she is so liked.

Being the first non-idiot is a very good character trait imo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Being the first non-idiot is a very good character trait imo

It is, one day we will get that and it will rule

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

Makoto's lunchtime scene with Ann after joining was really good!

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQnU29Bxrds

hello this cover is fantastic and everyone needs to know

bye

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Qw-ztFrK4

BLAZBLUE CROSS TAG BATTLE coming next year.

Yu is a playable character. Now to see if Joker is added.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I doubt it, the game just screams asset reuse. I do hope ArcSys gets tapped to make a P5 fighter though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQnU29Bxrds

hello this cover is fantastic and everyone needs to know

bye

Screws up the lyrics in the first two lines, DOWNVOTE

That tiny man does a ton of vocal covers and I don't like him much, his voice is real reedy

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

I doubt it, the game just screams asset reuse. I do hope ArcSys gets tapped to make a P5 fighter though.

On the one hand, yeah.

On the other hand, Rwby is in it for some reason and I can't think of any Arc System's game she's been in before, so maybe?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TurkeyFried posted:

Little bit. Understand that she's already alienated from her peers by being the Shujin administration's pet student, said administration starts using her as a cat's paw to spy on and blackmail her fellow students while using her sister's reputation as collateral (while also ignoring other, very serious issues with the student body and faculty that she can do nothing about), and then her sister basically says "God, I wish you didn't exist" to her over dinner, which Makoto cooked.

The reason she instantly about-faces to joining the Thieves' side is because Makoto Niijima wants someone to loving pay, and these guys are clearly raring to go already.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 17, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
And y'all thought you were safe from Yu Narukami returns.

It's weird that I generally like P4, but now that P5's been released I just see the characters as weaker than P3's and the mechanics as weaker than P5's. Maybe it's just spin-off fatigue; some of the lesser-used characters from that game are still high on my list, like Ai.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm still the guy who thinks pretty much everything is weaker in P3 than P4

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I was able to play P5 a little bit last night, and I did the first Mementos dungeon. I had some questions:

• I've been trying to raise the Social Stats (as I've run into a couple of events where you need higher Guts or Charm in order to proceed with them), but I have no idea how close I am to getting to the next rank. I get the message about the stat going up, and the point on the star shifting, but I don't know how close I actually am to reaching that next rank.
  • I've had a bit a trouble with the enemy negotiations. I read that the Shadows have specific personalities, but I missed where it's displayed for each Shadow, and how you should react accordingly
  • In addition, is there any sort of guidelines or recommendations when it comes to recruiting and fusing Personae? I understand that I can get a bonus from fusing persona with affinities that match with confidants I've found, but I don't think I have many confidants yet.
  • On top of that, if I end up being crazy enough to do New Game Plus, or shoot for 100% completion, is there any issue in trying to recruit weaker Personae? It seems like the only way to knock them out it to hit them with whatever they're weak against, but if you're playing through New Game Plus with a end-game party, don't you run into the issue of beating early-game enemies with a single hit? I know that's a ways off for me, but it was something that I was thinking about.
  • Right now in the story, the big to-do is worrying about exams. Is it a skill-check kind of thing where your knowledge has to at or over a certain level, or is it a multiple choice thing like the miscellaneous questions you get asked by teachers?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You'll get a message that explicitly says you'll rank up with them next time you hang out, but there are no stat screens or anything to tell you how many times you need to hang out with them before that happens. Also make sure you have the corresponding persona on you, doesn't need to be equipped but you do need one, that'll basically double the number of social points you get from hanging out and is vital to not making it a huge chore.

Enemies will have anime type expressions, like music notes when happy or sweating when worried, so judge how you answered their question to how they responded to figure out what they will react to. The first question is the one you pay attention to, the second question will be the one you can recruit them with, so if you pissed them off with the first comment try the opposite tactic with the second.

Fuse away, capture persona's to fill in your booklet and summon old ones when you need them to make specific personas you want. Don't worry about that too much until you're late game and can dump several hundred thousand yen on min-maxing the ultimate persona.

Exams are a combo of both questions asked by teachers and your own knowledge stat. They give you a boost to charm when you get the top spot and literally don't matter beyond that.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Arist posted:

Likewise. There's probably not a single thing about P3 I like better than P4, but I'll admit that a lot of it is down to taste.

Maybe except the city/town areas. While thematically appropriate, running around a mostly closed down shopping district most of the game wasn't very interesting.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Pack it in, folks, looks like Persona 5 was a mediocre game all along.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Nothing in this is wrong outside of the author being weirdly idealistic about people.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

Most of P3 is worse, but Yukari/Junpei probably beat out most of the main party members in terms of development.

Also at least they let you date a guy.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You'll get a message that explicitly says you'll rank up with them next time you hang out, but there are no stat screens or anything to tell you how many times you need to hang out with them before that happens. Also make sure you have the corresponding persona on you, doesn't need to be equipped but you do need one, that'll basically double the number of social points you get from hanging out and is vital to not making it a huge chore.

Enemies will have anime type expressions, like music notes when happy or sweating when worried, so judge how you answered their question to how they responded to figure out what they will react to. The first question is the one you pay attention to, the second question will be the one you can recruit them with, so if you pissed them off with the first comment try the opposite tactic with the second.

I had picked up on the little anime emotes for the reactions, but that's a pretty good tactic. The trouble I was having last night was in trying to recruit one of the little slime guys you fight in the first visit to Mementos. I picked up on the fact that they have a meek, polite personality, but it took me like three attempts before I finally got the answers right and recruited them. Sometimes you get a weird, curve-ball question like, "What are you going to turn me into when you defeat me?" or "Is this what all the kids are doing?", and it's hard to gauge what answer is appropriate.

Another question: Should I be prioritizing Joker above other party memebers? I've had a couple of battles immediately go south because Joker died and I got game over. Once it was because I got ambushed from one of the normal enemies after the chapel fight with the winged knight guy, and they focused all their attacks on Joker. Using the Defense spell and Life Drain has proven to be useful in countering that, but when I did the first Mementos boss fight, the boss did some explosion attack and Joker's health dropped down into the single digits. Do I need to do something like prioritize defense over attack power?

Finally, here's a question that may possibly generate an argument: This is actually the first Persona game that I've played (first SMT game that I've played as well). I've wanted to try playing a game in the series for a few years now. I had thought about playing P4 for the longest time before P5 came out and got big, and I figured it would be a better jumping-on point. That being said, I'd still like to go back and play P4, but I'm also curious about playing the other games in the series.

The issue that I've had for the longest time is figuring out what to play because of the series screwy releases. The original PS1 release of Persona 1 I've read wasn't localized really well, and cut out the Snow Queen subplot/alternate ending (I skimmed it on the wiki, but didn't really get the gist of it). I know it got a PSP release that had a better translation and restored the missing content, but I don't have a PSP, and I don't know if it can be emulated. Persona 2 was split into two parts, and the US only got the second half (Eternal Punishment). I think there's a fan-translation patch for the PS1 version Innocent Sin, but I also remember there being a US release of the PSP port as well. However, while I read that Innocent Sin got the PSP release in the US, the PSP release of Eternal Punishment didn't make it over. Persona 3 had the FES re-release, and then it had the P3Portable release on PSP. I remember hearing that there's not a whole lot of difference between the two, other than that P3Portable let you choose your gender and some other minor altered content, but I don't remember all the details. Finally you have Persona 4 on PS4, and Persona 4 Golden on PSVita (which I also don't have). I don't know how much physical PS2 copies run for nowadays, but I do remember that it was available for sale on PSN (for play on the PS3), but it was just the standard version, not the Golden re-release.

Moving away from that to the games themselves, I've heard that P1 is sort of clunky nowadays. I remember reading that the PSP version tweaked it so that it's not so grindy, but I can't remember for sure. I don't know much about P2. The one thing I've heard about P3 is about Tartarus, and that it's supposed to be really long, hard, and tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max Wilco posted:

Moving away from that to the games themselves, I've heard that P1 is sort of clunky nowadays. I remember reading that the PSP version tweaked it so that it's not so grindy, but I can't remember for sure. I don't know much about P2. The one thing I've heard about P3 is about Tartarus, and that it's supposed to be really long, hard, and tedious.

All the games barring like P4G are gonna feel really clunky after P5 honestly.