Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"drat YOU TUMBLR, YOU ARE A WORSE PERSON THAN THE HACKER KNOWN AS 4CHAN!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Looke posted:

Have they started #notmydoctor yet?

Just a few posts up from yours:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The funny thing about this is that a lot of die hard manchild Who fans have been griping about recent Doctors being too young and too pandering to women who watched the show only to eye-gently caress the lead actor. Now they've got a Doctor who, who is conventionally attractive to a male demographic, and they whine.

(I'm not going to lie, I might've reacted with a 'holy christ she's pretty')

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Looke posted:

Have they started #notmydoctor yet?

Oh my yes.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I can't imagine being angry about the casting of anyone. If I find out a character I like is gonna be played by someone I dislike, I just think "Well, hopefully they'll be good." Writing off women entirely is weird. She's a good actress, hopefully her Doctor will be well-written.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Knormal posted:

Stolen from the Idiots on Social Media Thread:

So what's the average age of Who fans in the UK? Here in the US they're probably almost all 20-30 year olds, is it a much more even spread over there or do the old or new fans outnumber the other side?

It's a huge family show, lots of kids and parents. Plus the older fans of which in one of the youngest I guess growing up in the wilderness years. I can't really think of anything similar demographically, it's like a mixture of sports and soap operas.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's also this massive cultural thing where everyone knows about it but very few people actually watch it, comparatively.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

On a completely unrelated topic, what's the best Pertwee-era episode featuring the Master that isn't The Claws of Axos? (Which I'm only discounting because I've seen it.)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I recognize the art style - what was their name?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

docbeard posted:

On a completely unrelated topic, what's the best Pertwee-era episode featuring the Master that isn't The Claws of Axos? (Which I'm only discounting because I've seen it.)

Terror of the Autons? The Daemons? Mind of Evil?

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

docbeard posted:

The Sea Devils is one I watched as a bairn on the BBC2 repeats and stands up pretty well.

Edit: The Daemons if you're only watching one, though. drat fine serial.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
One sad thing is that Jodie will have to "prove" herself with her first episode. People will be "breathing a sigh of relief" when a woman can actually handle acting in a kid sci-fi show. People will be eagerly clutching their pearls when a professional actress holds up a plastic stick that's supposed to be a screwdriver and pretends to be in a time machine for the entertainment of children and manchildren alike. "Oh, she just nailed it. She got it perfect, how wonderful. It's a shame the script let her down, but oh she's just great isn't she? Phew."

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I know other people have said it, but I don't get the whining troglodytes who are upset about the new Doctor. Like have they watched Doctor Who without taking in the central messages at all? The Doctors (at least the modern ones) have always been about treating others fairly, equality, doing the right thing, etc. etc.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Plavski posted:

One sad thing is that Jodie will have to "prove" herself with her first episode. People will be "breathing a sigh of relief" when a woman can actually handle acting in a kid sci-fi show. People will be eagerly clutching their pearls when a professional actress holds up a plastic stick that's supposed to be a screwdriver and pretends to be in a time machine for the entertainment of children and manchildren alike. "Oh, she just nailed it. She got it perfect, how wonderful. It's a shame the script let her down, but oh she's just great isn't she? Phew."

I totally understand she's going to have it worse than ever but every Doctor has this happen to them. Smith the most of the revival.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
Smith and (less so) Tennant both had to do it.

Eccleston and Capaldi were big enough names to begin with.

Jodie will also have as loud a set of supporters as she has detractors because of her gender.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

docbeard posted:

I liked "The Mind of Evil" a lot because it's got that scene where the Master is confronted with his greatest fear and it's the Doctor laughing at him.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

PriorMarcus posted:

I totally understand she's going to have it worse than ever but every Doctor has this happen to them. Smith the most of the revival.

I think I've heard it most for Capaldi to be honest, in the sense of being a fantastic Doctor let down by terrible scripts.

I didn't want Capaldi to go. For some reason it feels like he just got here, and this season in particular he really felt like he was hitting his stride. His run, somehow, also doesn't feel as 'important' as 11 and 10, which is a shame. I don't really know what I mean by that. Except maybe that End of Time, Day of the Doctor etc were massive cultural events, and Capaldi hasn't really had one of those. I'll probably define him by Heaven Sent.

Having said that, I'm so stoked for Doctor Who again. It'll tell little girls that they can be the hero, but probably just as important it'll tell little boys that little girls can be the hero as well.

I've also wrote the first short teaser for series 11:

Random Man: 'Right, so, sorry, is it Miss, or Mrs?'

Cut to Whittaker: '...Doctor' (Grin, cut to theme)

BBC, if you can just send my royalty cheque via post, cheers.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Gallifrey Base is kind of amazing right now. I saw one poster saying, apparently without irony, "I think the BBC has underestimated how the general public will react to this. Just take a look at the Daily Mail comments"

I know others have said it, but what the ever-living gently caress do these people get from this show? I mean, the Daleks, the embodiment of every single thing that the Doctor absolutely rejects, are a manifestation of hatred for anything that is the slightest bit different. It's not even subtext!

I was kinda hoping for Phoebe Waller-Bridge, but Jodie Whittaker sold me completely in those three seconds of smile.

Edit: By 'these people', I meant the ones gabbling on about political correctness and SJWs and how the BBC is brainwashing children (with.... the message that women can be.... important?) and how this is the day Doctor Who died etc, etc)

Matinee fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 17, 2017

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Box of Bunnies posted:

The show's fundamental characteristic is that the Doctor changes, not that he has a dick. He's been thirteen vastly different people over its fifty years already. Change is in the DNA of the show

I get your point but your phrasing "that he has a dick" which has been used in at least one other post by someone doesn't really help the debate.
Why can't it be "that he is a man"? I mean you have a valid argument but phrasing it like it that it a) reads like an insult to anyone not of your opinion and b) you are reducing the male lead role to a sexual organ, which kind of makes your argument no better than someone from the opposite side saying "women doctors are stupid", there are aspects that differ between a man and a woman that actually may matter in the show, but "having a dick" never did.

That said, I agree he changes but he changed into a different man every time. So I got used to him being a man that looks different, yet still a man. I don't have any special reason other than that, I just expect him to be a man so a female dr is a surprise and seems highly unusual to me because it "goes against the grain" or however you say that.

I don't know why that seems so outrageous a stance.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

docbeard posted:

Terror of the Autons.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Plavski posted:

One of the best things about this casting is all the people going to watch Attack the Block. It's very good

I will begin watching it within the next two hours!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MisterBibs posted:

(I'm not going to lie, I might've reacted with a 'holy christ she's pretty')

She's fantastically talented, I loved her Broadchurch, I'm eagerly looking forward to seeing what she can do as the Doctor, but yeah, that too.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I think I've heard it most for Capaldi to be honest, in the sense of being a fantastic Doctor let down by terrible scripts.
Which is weird because Capaldi's run has been more consistent than Smith's, and had some of Moffat's strongest writing. Deep Breath didn't start very well and I guess that bad first impression stayed with people.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Which is weird because Capaldi's run has been more consistent than Smith's, and had some of Moffat's strongest writing. Deep Breath didn't start very well and I guess that bad first impression stayed with people.

I thought Deep Breath was aggressively mediocre and reminded me of an early RTD but with a few utterly fantastic lines from the Doctor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I really, strongly disliked most of season 9. More so than any Smith season. Thankfully it finished strong. Season 8 was mostly not great, too, outside of a couple episodes.

Seasons 10 was fantastic, though.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I admit to being dubious with Jodie Whittaker's casting, but I watched that little one minute promo and I felt that excitement at seeing a new Doctor again, so no longer dubious.

As others have said, I would like the Doctor to be female from here on out. We've had a male Doctor for 54 years, let's try a female one for the next 50.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Series 9 was awful aside from "Heaven Sent."

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Well what do you know, the BBC cast Jodie as the 13th doctor...and the show's writing STILL hasn't improved since Series 5. Personally I gave up on this show since the Matt Smith series and Moffat is a poo poo writer...the only good DW episode he wrote was Blink.

This show can keep loving itself further with forgettable new aliens and relying on older villains and archive footage, now I appreciate the Russel T Davies episodes more...they may be corny but didn't go completely off the rails like this shite.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I woke up to this news several hours ago, and I'm still probably more excited than I've been about anything for a while. This is exactly what we needed at exactly the right time, and I am just SO in.

...now give us her costume shots so I can start putting together cosplay.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/886736327114342400

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Junior Jr. posted:

Well what do you know, the BBC cast Jodie as the 13th doctor...and the show's writing STILL hasn't improved since Series 5. Personally I gave up on this show since the Matt Smith series and Moffat is a poo poo writer...the only good DW episode he wrote was Blink.

This show can keep loving itself further with forgettable new aliens and relying on older villains and archive footage, now I appreciate the Russel T Davies episodes more...they may be corny but didn't go completely off the rails like this shite.

Oh dear.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

CobiWann posted:

I recognize the art style - what was their name?

johannesviii on tumblr.

They did the "Six at Pride" comic I posted a couple weeks back too.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The newspapers tomorrow are hilarious. 'Who's That Girl?' 'Time, gentlemen, please'

And the Daily Mail choosing to freak out over the extermination of male heroes. Won't somebody think of putting a man in something? The poor dears.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Don't remember where, but I saw one of the responses was making the comparison that "next we're going to see a male wonder woman!" Later tonight, lo and behold the following shows up in the ol' twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/coinneachmac/status/885574317781733376

Also, after reading this thread again for the first time in forever, I'm surprised to hear season 10 was pretty good. I'll have to go back and check it out!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Junior Jr. posted:

Imagine being the person who thinks that Heaven Sent wasnt good writing.

I like how you gave up on the show, and yet here you are, discussing the show. You are a failure at that, just like so many other things.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wyld Karde posted:

Gonna break out my crystal ball for a minute here.

So when we last saw the Doctor he's fending off the impending regeneration. He's had enough, he finds the whole thing ridiculous. So the Tardis does what she usually does and takes the Doctor to where he most needs to be. Back to his original self, who appears to be undergoing an identical personal crisis. Presumably over the course of the Christmas special the Doctor's personal character arc is going to be about accepting change through regeneration as a natural part of the Time Lord life experience, and by the end the Capaldi Doctor's attitude is going to be "Well if I'm going to change, let's make it a big one!"

This is pretty much exactly how I see it going too.

God I'm gonna miss Capaldi, but I'm also super-excited to see Whittaker in the role. It's like has been said many times in this thread, there's just something about seeing a new Doctor that pumps you up and revitalizes your interest in the show.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Series 9's problem was that if a two-parter isn't good that's twice as bad as a one-parter not being good. So the first story happening to be one of Steven Moffat's worst ones and then the second story being by Toby Whithouse, well, that's four weeks down the drain already.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hopper posted:

I don't know why that seems so outrageous a stance.

Because the only thing that really feels different from him regenerating into a woman, as opposed to someone whose accent has shifted from Northern to Estuary by way of Scottish to Received Pronunciation to Scottish, is that it's progressive. Why this one change bothers people more than any other can really only have regressive reasons behind it. Each Doctor's entire personality is different, with a little core of who the Doctor is maintained. If what that "core" is contains "man" for some reason, that reason probably isn't coming from the right place.

It's a show in which, in one episode, they decide to cure every disease by pouring all of the IV medicines in a vat and then giving out the weird IV medicine punch, it has iconic villains that were built out of a kitchen whisk and a mini-plunger. Why is the thing that breaks suspension of disbelief or that makes the show feel that it has changed so much, that it's been pushed over the edge, is that the lead character is played by a woman?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I actually like the idea that Twelve DID regenerate in the snow, but because of that device where Bill saw herself as her own self-image instead of all Cyberised, that we see Capaldi through most of the Xmas special, maybe with One doing his usual "Hmmmm, what was that? 'Old man' you say, no, no..." shtick from time to time when the Doctor refers to themself as a dude until the reveal.

I love this idea, especially if it's accompanied by the Doctor instantly being fine with if after the change, much like the 10/11 regeneration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
I would love to come into her TARDIS. (sorry could not resist). I personally am excited for the new season I hope it has good writing behind it. I am very interested to see how the 13th Doctor plays out in the new season. Been watching this series since Tom Baker when I was still in elementary school very excited for the new season and they picked a great actor hope it is a lot of fun! Great choice for the 13th Doctor!

• Locked thread