Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also it's not a niche internet thing at all, but a very basic concept fundamental to the study of culture and the implementation of law and policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

business hammocks posted:

Also it's not a niche internet thing at all, but a very basic concept fundamental to the study of culture and the implementation of law and policy.

Then I assume that they are talking about some sort of system that is racist and not an actor. If it was the latter the word power might be interpreted loosely enough to include a fist intended to land in someones face.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it doesn't help that the supreme court ruled that laws can only be struck down as racist when they were explicitly stated to be racist. so making the punishment for crack 100 times worse than for cocaine despite them being the same drug is not racist because the legislature didn't explicitly say it;s being made that way for racist reasons. even with very obviously racist outcomes, not only due to the law itself but enforcement of it (something like 99.7 percent of crack convictions are of black offenders despite the fact white people actually use and deal crack more than black people), the supreme court said laws like that can't be struck down.

also it's cool to strike off potential jurors as long as you give any excuse (like their hair was too long) even if it's really loving obvious you did it for racist reasons. the supreme court sucks a lot of rear end.

Midig posted:

Then I assume that they are talking about some sort of system that is racist and not an actor. If it was the latter the word power might be interpreted loosely enough to include a fist intended to land in someones face.

the system itself is racist but the system is made up of actors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes, though you can't pin all the blame on any one person it doesn't mean that the edifice isn't created by many people working in concert to create it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Midig posted:

There's no reason to rework a concept to protect your feelings or self-image, or to compensate for a lack of curiosity by white people.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, though you can't pin all the blame on any one person it doesn't mean that the edifice isn't created by many people working in concert to create it.

People who should know better and who should be blamed for not knowing better.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Groovelord Neato posted:

also it's cool to strike off potential jurors as long as you give any excuse (like their hair was too long) even if it's really loving obvious you did it for racist reasons. the supreme court sucks a lot of rear end.

Hell it's even cool and good to re-segregate your schools!

quote:

A federal judge’s ruling this week that allows a predominantly white Alabama city to separate from its more diverse school district is stoking new debate about the fate of desegregation initiatives after decades of efforts to promote racial balance in public education.

Judge Madeline Haikala of the U.S. District Court in Birmingham ruled that the city of Gardendale’s effort to break away was motivated by race and sent messages of racial inferiority and exclusion that “assail the dignity of black schoolchildren.”

She also found that Gardendale failed to meet its legal burden to prove that its separation would not hinder desegregation in Jefferson County, which has been struggling to integrate its schools since black parents first sued for an equal education for their children in the 1960s.

Still, Haikala ruled Monday that Gardendale may move forward with the secession, basing her decision in part on sympathy for some parents who want local control over schools and in part on concern for black students caught in the middle. The judge wrote that she feared they would bear the blame if she blocked the city’s bid.
The judge offered a blistering critique of those who organized Gardendale’s effort to split from the county system. Pointing to Facebook posts and public statements, Haikala concluded that they clearly saw secession as a way to control the demographics of city schools, erecting a barrier to black students who transferred from other parts of the county.
The flier, bearing an image of a white child, asked, “Which path will Gardendale choose?” It presented a choice: a list of racially integrated or predominantly black cities whose schools remain part of the Jefferson County system; or a list of predominantly white cities — “some of the best places to live in the country,” the flier said — whose schools have broken away over the years.
Judge: Mostly white Southern city may secede from school district despite racial motive

Sorry if it's not 100% relevant, I read about this a while ago and was straight up struck dumb by how brazen re-segregation was being given the a-okay.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

business hammocks posted:

People who should know better and who should be blamed for not knowing better.

Oh aye I'd agree, it's incumbent on everybody to do what they can.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

so by your own admission you watched his video and found nothing racist except a "common racist talking point" that isn't actually in and of itself racist; you just like to imagine that racists use it

so you disagree with him about who supports BLM, and again found no racist statements in his video to point to

so you disagree with him about the definition of racism, and again -- lo and behold -- found no racist statements in his video

maybe you should give up

Oh, I get it. Unless someone self-identifies as a racist/sexist/homophobic, it's wrong to call them out as racist/sexist/homophobic. No matter how many racist talking points they parrot, no matter how dishonest his arguments about 'problems with black culture', no matter how often they side against people of colour on matters of police brutality, no matter how often they deny the importance of feminism and low-key advocate harassing feminists, no matter how many times they laugh in the face of victims of rape, no matter how many times they imply mass shooters are 'because of feminists'... Nope. The benefit of the doubt must always be given to the accused until they say the n-word or call someone a human being or literally say 'women are less valuable than men'. Hell, Sargon can even defend someone making the latter claim and people will jump to his defense.

Turns out the only thing Hitler did wrong was openly admitting he hated Jews. And calling them bad names I suppose.. The philosophy, the ethos, the actions don't matter!

If you're not intentionally trolling, then this is some of the most pedantic, intellectually dishonest bullshit I've ever had the misfortune of reading on these forums. I'm genuinely surprised I didn't see you in the other threads defending 'Wife with a Purpose' posting the literal 14 words. I reg'd over a decade ago and this is literally the first time I've ever considered ignoring someone. So congrats on reaching new levels of insufferability.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 16, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's like when laci green tweets about how her bf is a centrist despite tweeting a white genocide meme and also really obviously fake crime statistics. he says he's a centrist so he is!

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Genocyber posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck TERFs.

Your rage is gooing up your 'U' key.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I want you to understand something: you are a garbage person. Even if you're trolling, you are a garbage person. To even ironically defend Sargon, who laughed while Kristi described a rape scenario during their debate, and he, when asked what analytical framework would replace feminism, said "I don't know, I don't care." He is not interested in constructive dialogue. His is a misogynist and a racist (see the support from the EDL).

You defending this man in any capacity allies you with a man who found rape funny.

I don't want to defend him, but the way I interpreted that part of the debate wasn't him laughing at rape so much as being a man-child and laughing at the mentioning of dried semen and penises, though he clearly doesn't take it seriously.

fallenturtle fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 16, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fallenturtle posted:

I don't want to defend him, but the way I interpreted that part of the debate wasn't him laughing at rape so much as being a man-child and laughing at the mentioning of different naughty bits. But I'll go rewatch it when I have a chance.

That's not really much better when the context is rape.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh quick update. I checked and Sargon did in fact take part in the same video making fun of a murder victim as Kraut did. I apologize for presuming innocence.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He once told a woman she was so ugly that he would decline an opportunity to rape her.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

which murder victim was this?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Skeptic Feminist situation where one of the hosts killed the other.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so i take it they said she deserved it for thinking women should be equal to men?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

so i take it they said she deserved it for thinking women should be equal to men?

I didn't watch all of it, but the way I understood it they were trying to put down feminist men since this was an example of a feminist man hurting a woman.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I imagine a lot of you saw this but it's the best bit on Islam I've seen in some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOb2KQHr7V0

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Midig posted:

By the feminist/SJW (for a lack of a better term) definition of racism as prejudice + power, is that a specific kind of power (like say political power) or all types of power? Genuinely curious.

My understanding is that this is an academic definition of racism, and social scientists have suggested people use more commonplace definitions of racism for lay discussion. In my lay conversations and teaching, I encourage groups to address these ideas of systemic inequality, systemic racism, and white supremacy, and write terminology/definitions to further conversation and facilitate flexible conversation and deeper understanding.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

JVNO posted:

Oh, I get it. Unless someone self-identifies as a racist/sexist/homophobic, it's wrong to call them out as racist/sexist/homophobic. No matter how many racist talking points they parrot, no matter how dishonest his arguments about 'problems with black culture', no matter how often they side against people of colour on matters of police brutality, no matter how often they deny the importance of feminism and low-key advocate harassing feminists, no matter how many times they laugh in the face of victims of rape, no matter how many times they imply mass shooters are 'because of feminists'... Nope. The benefit of the doubt must always be given to the accused until they say the n-word or call someone a human being or literally say 'women are less valuable than men'. Hell, Sargon can even defend someone making the latter claim and people will jump to his defense.

Turns out the only thing Hitler did wrong was openly admitting he hated Jews. And calling them bad names I suppose.. The philosophy, the ethos, the actions don't matter!

If you're not intentionally trolling, then this is some of the most pedantic, intellectually dishonest bullshit I've ever had the misfortune of reading on these forums. I'm genuinely surprised I didn't see you in the other threads defending 'Wife with a Purpose' posting the literal 14 words. I reg'd over a decade ago and this is literally the first time I've ever considered ignoring someone. So congrats on reaching new levels of insufferability.

once again, you are unable to back up your claims with any actual examples of racism/sexism/homophobia, and instead you resort to claiming that the person in question said some things that you imagine that racists also sometimes say

what you're doing is making wild accusations that people are racist or sexist in order to justify hating those people, and attacking me when i ask for proof that these people are worthy of hating, and then resorting to personal attacks when the proof you attempt to present falls apart

that besides the godwinning and threatening to cover your ears and squeal loudly resort to your ignorelist

you are a conspiracy theorist, looking for enemies that don't exist and attacking anyone that reminds you of your enemies' nonexistence

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Where's you're evidence that they are making things up that's a pretty wild accusation

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

once again, you are unable to back up your claims with any actual examples of racism/sexism/homophobia, and instead you resort to claiming that the person in question said some things that you imagine that racists also sometimes say

what you're doing is making wild accusations that people are racist or sexist in order to justify hating those people, and attacking me when i ask for proof that these people are worthy of hating, and then resorting to personal attacks when the proof you attempt to present falls apart

that besides the godwinning and threatening to cover your ears and squeal loudly resort to your ignorelist

you are a conspiracy theorist, looking for enemies that don't exist and attacking anyone that reminds you of your enemies' nonexistence

No one loving cares. Go back to the AUG thread where you belong.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Midig posted:

By the feminist/SJW (for a lack of a better term) definition of racism as prejudice + power, is that a specific kind of power (like say political power) or all types of power? Genuinely curious.

:eng101: Anthropological definition actually!

But to answer your question, people tend to use it as a catch-all term which describes the type of power based on the context of the discussion. I think (or at least this has been my experience) academics usually prefer to use a more specific phrase to discuss an issue, so for instance an economist would probably not use the word racism to talk about economic issues among minorities, they would instead us "economic inequality". But, when it comes time to talk about the source of these sorts of issues, academics readily identify racism/racial prejudice/whathaveyou as the underlying reason they came to be. The same economist would probably talk about history of economic inequality, and racism would certainly be fingered as one of the reasons it's present in society.

So in short: among laypeople it's used as a shot-hand for all sorts of power. Among academic writing (again, from my experience) it's usually used as "prejudice based on race and nationality which has led to numerous problems in society"

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

No one loving cares. Go back to the AUG thread where you belong.

the thread that you claim is filled with transphobia, yes, i get it

Who What Now posted:

Baseless? Every other page of your favorite thread is filled with proof.

i'm waiting for that proof, that fills ~every other page~ mind you

hint: it doesn't fill every other page, or really exist at all

all you're doing is trying to paint a discussion in a different subforum as transphobic, because i mentioned it once, in order to paint me as also transphobic, because i'm questioning what you believe

you are doing your side no favors whatsoever

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

In other words, anything short of Sargon calling Obama the n-word or stabbing Kristi Winters with a knife cannot by definition be racist or misogynist?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

In other words, anything short of Sargon calling Obama the n-word or stabbing Kristi Winters with a knife cannot by definition be racist or misogynist?

just enough proof to justify the vitriolic hatred that d&d projects at him

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Fine here's an easy one. Watch Sargon correctly ID that African American crime is primarily motivated by poverty, and then turn around to blame that poverty on "matriarchal households" and "gang culture". This very conclusion is racist. Thus Sargon is racist. He comes this close to realizing that institutional racism exists, but his own racism makes him unable to understand.

This is more or less this process in every video. There isn't any real need to prove this because watching any given video of his makes it self evident. Yet you keep asking for proof. Which is either proof you don't watch his videos or you're arguing knowingly in bad faith.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Mr Interweb posted:

[lambic] Well, there are lots of potential motivations for stabbing someone with a knife that have nothing to due with gender. I think you're jumping to conclusions a bit too quickly here. [/lambic]

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Fine here's an easy one. Watch Sargon correctly ID that African American crime is primarily motivated by poverty, and then turn around to blame that poverty on "matriarchal households" and "gang culture". This very conclusion is racist. Thus Sargon is racist. He comes this close to realizing that institutional racism exists, but his own racism makes him unable to understand.

<venn diagram of racist conclusions as a subset of incorrect conclusions>

you're only saying those phrases that you put in quotes because you like to imagine that racists say those phrases

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
So how does it feels to be so stupid that a fan of Carl of Swindon manages to repeatedly bait you, over and over agan?

Do you people also go on Reddit and get into arguments with people demanding proof that Richard Spencer is a nazi?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

This conclusion is a loving fossil. It's from the Moynihan Report which is basically discredited by every reputable academic, and is used as a case study of what victim-blaming racism looks like.

RottenK posted:

So how does it feels to be so stupid that a fan of Carl of Swindon manages to repeatedly bait you, over and over agan?

Do you people also go on Reddit and get into arguments with people demanding proof that Richard Spencer is a nazi?

My rules state that people can engage with them if they find it fun. But fair enough, I do sorta have to ask if you guys are having fun? Unlike Billy, PI is sorta boring.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 16, 2017

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

This conclusion is a loving fossil. It's from the Moynihan Report which is basically discredited by every reputable academic, and is used as a case study of what victim-blaming racism looks like.

i like that you use the phrase case study, to imply that scholars are on your side without presenting proof of that

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

i like that you use the phrase case study, to imply that scholars are on your side without presenting proof of that
Lambic please stop being racist.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Does anyone want to discuss the Moynihan Report or shall we move on? I don't really give enough of a poo poo to pony up evidence for Pitts, but the report's conclusions are very firmly ingrained in the psyche of conservatives and I'm certain more than one intellectual on Youtube (other than Sargon) brought them up. Less because they know what the report is, and more because they read its conclusions in a chain e-mail.

So, I guess really my question is "Does anyone other than PL give a poo poo?"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's amazing, he really is the picture perfect sea-lion.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Does anyone want to discuss the Moynihan Report or shall we move on? I don't really give enough of a poo poo to pony up evidence for Pitts, but the report's conclusions are very firmly ingrained in the psyche of conservatives and I'm certain more than one intellectual on Youtube (other than Sargon) brought them up. Less because they know what the report is, and more because they read its conclusions in a chain e-mail.

So, I guess really my question is "Does anyone other than PL give a poo poo?"

I'm fine with moving on, what about others? The second Google suggestion for me for Moynihan Report is "Moynihan Report criticism" - (though I am logged in) and there are a couple good articles with multiple points of view in the first page.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

the thread that you claim is filled with transphobia, yes, i get it

i'm waiting for that proof, that fills ~every other page~ mind you

hint: it doesn't fill every other page, or really exist at all

all you're doing is trying to paint a discussion in a different subforum as transphobic, because i mentioned it once, in order to paint me as also transphobic, because i'm questioning what you believe

you are doing your side no favors whatsoever

I'm trying to get you to gently caress off is what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

I'm trying to get you to gently caress off is what I'm doing.

It might be fun and all, but if you are trying to stop him from shitposting then replying to his comments won't work.

• Locked thread