Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tennant was a good actor before Doctor Who? I know he's a good actor now, I just thought he got better. Did he live in an apartment with a gas leak while he was filming Doctor Who? Because he was loving awful in that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Tennant was a good actor before Doctor Who? I know he's a good actor now, I just thought he got better. Did he live in an apartment with a gas leak while he was filming Doctor Who? Because he was loving awful in that show.

Tennant was a little shaky at the start but became great as his series went on.

[Edit: the real spicy take you should have went with is that Smith is the best NuWho Doctor he is]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 17, 2017

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Lurdiak posted:

Getting an actual beloved actor/actress with significant chops would be breaking with the show's tradition.

Peter Capaldi may not have been super-beloved, but if you haven't seen In the Loop I feel bad for you.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Capaldi is a dang Oscar winner for directing a short film but hush

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
also, when he was a lot younger, he was in Local Hero, which is a great underseen movie everyone should watch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PriorMarcus posted:

Do you honestly think the fanbase of a show built around change and hope and inclusivity is more toxic than a fan base built around a masculine action fantasy where women are disposable objects?

... are you talking about Doctor Who with the first part there?
Either way, like Guy Goodbody said, Doctor Who is a way more narrow and insular fanbase, which yeah, is almost guaranteed to be more toxic even when you don't include the "has a rabid following of nerds on the internet" part.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also has there been any example ever of a role being race/genderswapped and was actually worse because of it?

(The Last Airbender doesn't count)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

... are you talking about Doctor Who with the first part there?

Presumably he isn't referring to the Moffat years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HBO is doing a movie starring Al Pacino as Joe Paterno and somehow Pacino neither looks like Paterno or himself in it.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/al-pacino-joe-paterno-hbo-barry-levinson-penn-state-1202129729/

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

lelandjs posted:

Also has there been any example ever of a role being race/genderswapped and was actually worse because of it?

Do Guess Who and Ghosbusters count?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do Guess Who and Ghosbusters count?

I actually like Ghostbusters 2016.

I'll give you Guess Who, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lurdiak posted:

Moffat's leaving so the show might become watchable.

I remember the good old days when people were saying this about Davies and were happy to see Moffat step in.

Lurdiak posted:

Name one, because from where I stand they're all nobody tv/stage actors. Did I miss an Ian McKellen doctor somewhere in there?

Off the top of my head, before they were on Doctor Who David Tennant was in a Harry Potter movie and Christopher Eccleston was in 28 Days Later.

lelandjs posted:

Pretty much every anime adaptation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Aphrodite posted:

And middle aged women but they lost a lot of those with the ugly old guy.

gently caress’S SAKE! JESUS CHRIST! Well, now we’ve got another fuckin’ adjective to add to fuckin’ ‘smug’ and ‘glum’, haven’t we? FUCKIN’ ‘RETARDED’! Jesus Chri– Do you not think it would be germane to check who you’re talking to?!

ARE YOU SO DENSE?! Am I gonna have to run around, slapping badges on people, with a big tick on some and a big cross on others, so you know when to shut your gob and when to open it?! Jesus Christ! Oh, but that’d probably confuse you as well won’t it! THAT’S BE TOO CONFUSING!

I’m gonna need all of my loving energy to loving rip all of your body to bits with my bare hands and sell-off your loving flayed skin as a sleeping bag to a loving normal person.

Never watched Capaldi in Doctor Who because it's a terrible show, but he's so glorious as Malcolm Tucker. The swearing is just artful.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
don't be such an eff star star oval office, bromance

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DO NOT loving interrupt me, son, ever! Now get this into the noggin, right? You breathe a word of this, to anyone, you mincing loving oval office, and I will tear your loving skin off, I will wear it to your mother’s birthday party, and I will rub your nuts up and down her leg whilst whistling Bohemian loving Rhapsody, right?!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait did I wander into the Snatch thread by accident?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, pal, take it easy on the swearing, huh?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
When did they specify Chandler and Joey's apartment was rent controlled?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Kiss my sweaty balls, you fat gently caress!

I can't wait until all the young Capaldi Doctor fans grow up and discover TTOI/In the Loop

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Veep is better

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Veep is better

It's debatable, and I'd lean to agreeing with you, but it's so close it's not even really worth the debate.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Veep's most recent season was a real step down, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't really agree with you on that, but even if I did I'd probably still lean towards Veep. I think it's probably the best comedy of this decade.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man that episode guest starring Brad Pitt was the cringiest poo poo ever because him and Jennifer Aniston broke up like, a week later if I recall

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aw gently caress, Martin Landau passed away.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yikes, George Romero too

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

lelandjs posted:

Wait did I wander into the Snatch thread by accident?

DivisionPost posted:

Even better, Malcolm Tucker from The Thick of It. Don't worry DP, just cut and pastes not a legit breakdown.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 17, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Joey and Rachel made more sense than Rachel and Ross
Hell Joey and Ross makes more sense than Rachel and Ross

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So if you don't have cable but are interested in HBO stuff I would recommend going with Amazon's channel for it. You get access to all the on demand but still get a livestream that is just the various channel feeds.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Man that episode guest starring Brad Pitt was the cringiest poo poo ever because him and Jennifer Aniston broke up like, a week later if I recall

Nah Mr and Mrs Smith wasn't for about another 4 years after that episode

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DivisionPost posted:

Oh, I'm really sorry, you won't hear anymore swearing from us, YOU MASSIVE, GAY SHITE! gently caress OFF!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Like seriously Ross and Rachel got together because Ross kept putting in friend coins until sex fell out but Joey and Rachel get along way better and have more in common and the way their relationship blossomed made way more sense

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ross was terrible in every way. He was like the original Ted Moseby.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't pretty much everybody on Friends awful people?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Wasn't pretty much everybody on Friends awful people?

Ross was the very worst.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So I'm in the 4th season of BSG for the first time. What was the reaction at the end of season 3 when the 4 were revealed? I don't know how I feel about it. Frankly, it just seems really out of nowhere and slapdash. I'm now watching episode 6 after Cally's last episode.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Chandler was pretty harmless all things considered

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hated the end of s3, and all of s4 bar one episode (The Siege?). I never got around to watching the last episode or two but keep meaning to just for completion. Such a let down.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also Lisa Kudrow is a goddamned gift from god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Also Lisa Kudrow is a goddamned gift from god.

I was thinking man they aged her up real good for Kimmy Schmidt but nope she was in her 50s when she recorded that
Also note how she's always the one to get in on the secrets from the other FRIENDSs

• Locked thread