Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Defiance Industries posted:

They're fine mechs and a good look for a machine, but they're also ocean trash bugs.

Lobsters were considered ocean trash bugs too, back in the day. They were fed to prison inmates, who rioted because it was 'cruel and unusual.

:11tea:

So . . . has anyone else been :f5h: in an OCD manner today?

Anyone want to opine as to whether or not The 'Sag' hit those two shots on the Gargoyle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They were feed for pigs and such also

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CourValant posted:

Lobsters were considered ocean trash bugs too, back in the day. They were fed to prison inmates, who rioted because it was 'cruel and unusual.

:11tea:

So . . . has anyone else been :f5h: in an OCD manner today?

Anyone want to opine as to whether or not The 'Sag' hit those two shots on the Gargoyle?

Yeah and I wouldn't name a BattleMech after a lobster, because lobsters are not bad rear end.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

CourValant posted:

They were fed to prisoners ground up with shells and all. So yeah, not especially similar to the way we eat them now and decidedly unpleasant.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

They were fed to prisoners ground up with shells and all. So yeah, not especially similar to the way we eat them now and decidedly unpleasant.

:ocelot:

How did the car touch-ups go?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Curious to hear what field salvage the techs use.

"If we just cut off the front half of his car and weld a Chevy cab in it's place, that counts as fixing it right?"

Picture a world where cars get modded like omni mechs...

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Curious to hear what field salvage the techs use.

"If we just cut off the front half of his car and weld a Chevy cab in it's place, that counts as fixing it right?"

Picture a world where cars get modded like omni mechs...

So theres this great series of Ozsploitation movies called 'Mad Max'....

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Paingod556 posted:

So theres this great series of Ozsploitation movies called 'Mad Max'....

Great, you know what you got me associating right now? The Clanners as those crazy kids in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

"General Kerensky, who led us in the Great Leaving to Tomorrow-morrow Land, during the Before-times, in the Long Long Ago."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CourValant posted:

Great, you know what you got me associating right now? The Clanners as those crazy kids in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome.

"General Kerensky, who led us in the Great Leaving to Tomorrow-morrow Land, during the Before-times, in the Long Long Ago."

The entire Clan system operates on a brain-damaged child's level of thinking. Makes sense.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Also,

The Clanners drive Dodge Omnis for peak 80s.

Maximum 80s Omni car. It can outrun a Ferrari.

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jul 15, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Jew it to it! posted:

Also,

The cCanners drive Dodge Omnis for peak 80s.

Maximum 80s Omni car. It can outrun a Ferrari.

:love::love::love:

OMG, I completely forgot about those cars!!!

Also, Five-Points in the Chrysler Logo, five planets in the Pentagon Worlds; coincidence? I think not!!!

:ocelot:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The JagerMech is mean.

I approve.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
It's F5 time again. :getin:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

The JagerMech is mean.

I approve.

:clint:

AJ_Impy posted:

It's F5 time again. :getin:

Awwwww yeeeeeaaah!!!

:f5h:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
gently caress me, I missed Ctrl+Shift+E and just hit Ctrl+E instead, exporting Turn 3 over the Turn 2 map. :argh:

Edit: Phew, partial total recovery. I had opened a copy of Turn 2 for use in the fluff writing. I almost gave myself a figurative heart attack. Thank God I'm absentminded.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 16, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

gently caress me, I missed Ctrl+Shift+E and just hit Ctrl+E instead, exporting Turn 3 over the Turn 2 map. :argh:

Edit: Phew, partial total recovery. I had opened a copy of Turn 2 for use in the fluff writing. I almost gave myself a figurative heart attack. Thank God I'm absentminded.

Not sure how big of a FUBAR that would have been, sounded serious though, glad you were able to recover.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It wouldn't have impacted your next turn, it just would've made the map harder to read for observers.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

It wouldn't have impacted your next turn, it just would've made the map harder to read for observers.

Ahhh . . . well, can't wait; I'm sure my ER PPC shot head-capped that Gargoyle! (smile)

By the way, hope everything worked out with your new car, specially the second day touch-ups.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Konpei Island Update 3

“So, what do they make here, anyway?” Maja grunted. She hovered her crosshairs over a retreating enemy hovertank and squeezed the trigger as soon as the gold dot in the center started pulsating to indicate a positive lock. A veteran of numerous campaigns, her attention was only half on her target. The other half was devoted almost obsessively to the JagerMech’s unique skybox strip. In addition to the typical 360-degrees of vision most MechWarriors enjoyed, the JagerMech boasted 180-degrees of vertical sight, letting her accurately target AeroSpace fighters as they passed overhead. To say there were more than a few was an understatement, contrails and fireballs lit the skies above, and while none seemed all that interested in interfering with the ground war—yet—all it took was some newbie hungry for their first ground kill and the lance’s rather mediocre defensive position would be completely compromised.

Maja’s autocannons struck sparks from the hovertank’s armored skirt, puncturing it in a dozen places. A hovertank with a damaged skirt was crippled. Hovertanks kept themselves afloat on cushions of intensely hot air, but it was hard enough keeping up to fifty tons of armor and weapons aloft. Holes made that task infinitely harder—but her crippling shots didn’t even seem to phase the Clan driver. He simply escaped down the side of the island’s damaged starport runway, and vanished from sight.

“This isn’t really the time for a tour,” Tai-i Mahinder replied with grim amusement. “Konpei Island Demolisher Tanks. River Monitors. Assault Autocannons. Core components for Dragon BattleMechs to be shipped to manufacturing sites offworld. Lysandre-class submersible aircraft carriers—”

“Wait,” Maya interrupted. “What?”

Movement Phase
BattleMaster
- Insufficient MP to reach hex 0908: needs 7, has 6!

Shooting Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Fires PPC at Gargoyle (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 8, miss!
- Fires PPC at Gargoyle (2 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 11, hit Center Torso (33/38 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at Gargoyle (2 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at Gargoyle (Out of Range): automatic miss!
- Gains 35 heat, sinks 34!

Sagittaire (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Gargoyle (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 10): rolled 10, hit Center Torso (23/38 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Nova (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 pulse laser = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 28 heat, sinks 34!

Hatamoto-Chi (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0907!
- Fires PPC at Gargoyle (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 11, hit Left Leg (24/34 armor remaining)!
- Fires PPC at Gargoyle (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 20!

Mauler (Player)
No Line of Sight to primary target!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 22!

Hunchback (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 1 heat, sinks 20!

Naginata (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Epona Prime #1 (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Epona Prime #1 (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Epona Prime #1 (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 8, 15 missiles hit Left Side (15/20 armor remaining), Left Side (10/20 armor remaining), Left Side (5/20 armor remaining (TAC!))!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis IV at Epona Prime #1 (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 31 heat, sinks 30!

JagerMech (Player)
- Fires Light Autocannon at Epona Prime #1 (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 11, hit Front (16/21 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Fires Light Autocannon at Epona Prime #1 (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Rear (13/18 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Fires ER Light Autocannon at Epona Prime #1 (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Front (11/21 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Fires ER Light Autocannon at Epona Prime #1 (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 10, hit Left Side (0/20 armor remaining)! CfMSD!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 20!

Summoner
- Holds fire!
- Gains 5 heat, sinks 20!

Ha Otoko
- Fires LRM-10 at JagerMech (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM-10 at JagerMech (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 13!

Glass Spider
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Naginata (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Naginata (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (10/25 armor remaining)!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 20!

Timber Wolf
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20!

Epona A #1
- Holds fire!

Epona A #2
- Holds fire!

Gargoyle
- Fires ER Large Laser at BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (28/36 armor remaining)!
- Gains 29 heat, sinks 32!

Nova
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 26!

Balius
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 24!

Stone Rhino
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Sagittaire (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 9, hit Right Torso (15/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Sagittaire (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 4 heat, sinks 20!

Epona Prime #1
- Holds fire!

Epona Prime #2
- Holds fire!

End Phase:
Epona Prime #1
- Through-armor critical chance in Left Side: Crew stunned!
- Chance for Motive System Damage: Minor damage sustained (+1 to driving rolls)!
- Chance for Motive System Damage: No damage sustained!

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:

Special Rules
Special weapon and minimum range rules are in effect!

Primary Objectives
- Join forces with Isoroku Kurita (0/1)
- Avoid damaging the Luthien Armor Works Facility (0/17 remaining)

Secondary Objectives
- Secure the Monitor Naval Vessels (0/16)
- Protect the Monitor Naval Vessels as they escape (0/16)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 17, 2017

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

quote:

Hatamoto-Chi (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0907!
- Fires PPC at Gargoyle (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10):
- Fires PPC at Gargoyle (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 3 enemy movement = 10):
- Gains 22 heat, sinks 20!

gotta fix this homie

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoptartsNinja posted:

. . . Lysandre-class submersible aircraft carriers—”

Of course they do. :ocelot:

So, yikes, those Gauss Rifles on the Stone Rhino hit hard, lost half my right torso armor from one hit.

Initial instinct is to jump to 0608 and put down that Nova A.

Numbers to hit with the pulse lasers should be 3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 pulse laser - 1 improved targeting short = 6; did I do that correctly?

Am I mistaken in that I thought pulse lasers gave a - 2 on to-hit rolls?

What do you think goons, should I just take the 6, or should I aim high? (aiming high is, + 2 to hit?)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

CourValant posted:

So, yikes, those Gauss Rifles on the Stone Rhino hit hard, lost half my right torso armor from one hit.

Numbers to hit with the pulse lasers should be 3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement - 1 targeting computer - 1 pulse laser - 1 improved targeting short = 6; did I do that correctly?

What do you think goons, should I just take the 6, or should I aim high? (aiming high is, + 2 to hit?)

Take the 6. The odds are significantly better.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I thought PTN changed Pulse Lasers to be all about that damage, and ditched the -2 to hit because it's been breaking BattleTech since time immemorial.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Stone Rhino is just all, "gently caress yo car, gently caress yo couch, gently caress yo house.".

loving thing is mean.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

CourValant posted:

That may work. I am torn on whether I should move the Battlemaster to 0708 and joining in a Nova beatdown while firing the PPCs at the Gargoyle. Wait, nevermind that is too close for the PPCs, but I can still melee/charge the Nova.

If the Hatamoto-Chi goes to the left behind the berm I think that would give us a respite next round from the Stone Rhino and can focus on the Gargoyle while forcing the Rhino to move.

Thoughts?

Ninurta fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 17, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

AJ_Impy posted:

Take the 6. The odds are significantly better.

I concur; I probably have a little 'buck fever' as I just want to punch a hole through the Northern Flank and get down South, while still 'activating' the Monitors, somehow.

Strobe posted:

I thought PTN changed Pulse Lasers to be all about that damage, and ditched the -2 to hit because it's been breaking BattleTech since time immemorial.

Very well could be, I don't recall all of the changes, and I can't find the page where he listed them out.

Skoll posted:

Stone Rhino is just all, "gently caress yo car, gently caress yo couch, gently caress yo house.".

loving thing is mean.

It is mean. Thoughts right now are to put down his buddies, activate the Monitors, and head south. We are not equipped to slug it out with that thing in these tight quarters, and we don't have the time to try before the Southern Flank is overrun.

***** EDIT *****

I think between the Mauler and the 'Sag', we should be able to take the Nova A down. I would say Battlemaster and 'Hata' focus on the Gargoyle, while maneuvering out of that kill box before the Stone Rhino tears you apart.

Once we put down that Nova, I will be able to assist with the Gargoyle (and the Mauler can have some intimate one-on-one time with the Balius); I would recommend clearing the left and running down South to rendezvous with the Southern Flank while we still can.

Only question is (@PTN), how much fire do we need to put on the Gargoyle before the Monitors 'activate'? The two towers can see their Coordinator-Prince in action now; or do we also need to fire on the Stone Rhino?

CourValant fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 17, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
There's no such thing as "too close for the PPCs", literally the worst you're ever going to get unless you are in face punching range is the equivalent to medium range.

There is definitely such a thing as "too close for missiles", but not for PPCs.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

In PTN's new adjusted, improved battletech rules, the minimum range penalty for any weapon is a flat -2. There's no "too close" for missiles either, it's the same as the PPCs, which is the same as medium range.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

There is definitely such a thing as "too close for missiles",

There needs to be a rule that if you post that, you have to accompany it with the clip from Top Gun.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Skoll posted:

There needs to be a rule that if you post that, you have to accompany it with the clip from Top Gun.

I agree, and apologize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPgMyh7ei6w

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Joker's Dead! Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire!!!

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
We have to be careful of that Balius, it's fast and I think it can get in position to threaten back shots next turn if we're going out the left wall here. Is that the plan we want to go with up north? Whatever we do, I should cool down, so I'm going to want to use SRMs instead of the second PPC. I'll want to follow whatever you guys target to have a better chance of there being holes to drop a missile in.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Yakumo posted:

We have to be careful of that Balius, it's fast and I think it can get in position to threaten back shots next turn if we're going out the left wall here. Is that the plan we want to go with up north? Whatever we do, I should cool down, so I'm going to want to use SRMs instead of the second PPC. I'll want to follow whatever you guys target to have a better chance of there being holes to drop a missile in.

Yes, we do have to be careful of that Balius, if things start running loose in the 'backfield' up North, none of us are making it through to the South.

Here's what I propose for the next few rounds:

1) Mauler and 'Sag' take down the Nova A, while Battlemaster and 'Hata' keep firing at the Gargoyle.

2) If the Nova A survives to the next round, 'Sag' keeps firing at it, while Mauler fields the Balius, and Battlemaster and 'Hata' keeps the Gargoyle occupied (I'm hoping that this activates the Monitors; conditions are to be in LOS of the two towers, and push the OPFOR out of the boat pens).

3) Put down the Balius and Gargoyle, and run down South on the left side.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
It looks like we didn't get an actual player movement map actually, both maps this turn show the opforce moving, and making the same moves to boot.

Quality shooting from Mukai, though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mukaikubo Status: :smug:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aww, poo poo, sub carriers!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Defiance Industries posted:

Aww, poo poo, sub carriers!

Are we about to be get Ace Combat in this poo poo, or do I just have nine-gear crow's recently completed AC5 LP on the brain? A Scinfaxi or two would definitely even the odds here though.

Also, it looks like you duped the enemy movement map onto the player movement one, PTN.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Looks like the Star Commander is going to be in our face next turn. While he could beat any of us 1v1 and probably could hold his own 1v2, if he jumps into us 1v3 next turn we should be able to make him pay for his hubris. This turn should probably be spent making sure we are in a decent position to make this future a reality.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

kingcom posted:

Mukaikubo Status: :smug:

While it is pleasing to open up a big gaping hole in a nasty hovercraft's side like that, I hoped for more luck on the motive system roll crits. Alas.

I have to refresh myself once more on PTN'S LOS rules before figuring out how to move, but Knox is correct. I am going to see if there is anywhere I can walk 3 to and only give 1 enemy a shot on me / give myself a shot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

KnoxZone posted:

Looks like the Star Commander is going to be in our face next turn. While he could beat any of us 1v1 and probably could hold his own 1v2, if he jumps into us 1v3 next turn we should be able to make him pay for his hubris. This turn should probably be spent making sure we are in a decent position to make this future a reality.

Mukaikubo posted:

While it is pleasing to open up a big gaping hole in a nasty hovercraft's side like that, I hoped for more luck on the motive system roll crits. Alas.

I have to refresh myself once more on PTN'S LOS rules before figuring out how to move, but Knox is correct. I am going to see if there is anywhere I can walk 3 to and only give 1 enemy a shot on me / give myself a shot on.

My first instinct was to move to 0730 and open fire an to-7.
For a plan that is not-suicidal, I think 0334, 0433 both block LOS completely (and allow me to start knife-fighting next round). So 0835/0935, but I'll be farther.
Main concern is avoiding stepping on each other toes.

• Locked thread