Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
New Kaguya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote:

The staff of Shueisha's Bessatsu Margaret magazine announced on Thursday that Karuho Shiina's Kimi ni Todoke manga did not appear in the August issue on Thursday due to Shiina's sudden illness. The manga will return in next month's issue on August 12.

The July issue of the magazine announced last month that the series would enter its final arc with the next chapter

Probably for the best.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Caitlin posted:

ALL of the decent manga? really?

I feel like for that to possibly be true your scope would have to be hyper limited.

It's not that unrealistic if you're limited to translated manga, want stuff with a bunch of chapters you haven't read (as opposed to just following current series you're caught up with), and have been reading manga for years.

I still come across stuff every once in a while that is completed or long-running that I somehow missed, but the frequency has been decreasing over the past couple years. I still have a number of chapters to read regularly just from stuff I'm following, but it's very hard to find unread stuff that I can just binge for hours. I can spend hours looking through batoto or whatever and not coming across something good with 10+ chapters that I haven't already read.

edit: It also really limits you if you don't enjoy the more mediocre content for certain genres. Like, there are a bunch of shounen romcoms, bad web novel adaptations, shoujo romances, and other genres like BL, but I dont tend to enjoy those genres unless the series is particularly good (since the enjoyment of many of them depends either on really enjoying the gimmick or being genre-naive enough that you don't notice the more cliche plot elements, which is generally true of teenagers, who unsurprisingly are the target audience of a lot of the genres I mentioned).

edit2: Regarding the latest Kaguya chapters, I kinda like this recent joke of Kaguya becoming dumb with love and mostly stopping her more maliciously deceptive activities, but Shirogane assuming they're still continuing and interpreting all her actions through that lens.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 16, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: Regarding the latest Kaguya chapters, I kinda like this recent joke of Kaguya becoming dumb with love and mostly stopping her more maliciously deceptive activities, but Shirogane assuming they're still continuing and interpreting all her actions through that lens.

It's a really good development. This manga somehow just keeps getting funnier.

Hayasaka was in top form this chapter too:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mentat Radnor posted:

It's a really good development. This manga somehow just keeps getting funnier.

Yeah, something about the way it delivers jokes is really funny to me. I particularly like the "SOME BASIC CONCEPT/THING - Explanation of basic concept/thing" thing it often does (like where it'll say something like "SHOES - a piece of clothing people have worn to protect their feet for thousands of years!" and then tie that into whatever the joke/gag is). Sorta reminds me of parts of Sayounara Zetsubou-sensei, even though the style of humor is pretty different.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
:siren:takagi is getting an anime:siren:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just read the first chapter of this josei manga Perfect World where the love interest is a guy in a wheelchair. It's actually better than I expected; in the first chapter the dude gets a bedsore, so they're not just giving some overly-optimistic portrayal of the subject (like in this drama I watched in high school called Beautiful Life, which was also about someone in a wheelchair but with genders reversed).

One funny thing I notice about a lot of josei manga is that they involve women working in some sort of professional field (like as a designer in the case of the above manga) but it's usually portrayed in this very vague, if not unrealistic, way that is obviously being written for people who don't work those kinds of jobs themselves. It's like the main point is just to sell the general idea that the protagonist has an active, interesting life. As a contrast, it seems like a lot of seinen manga tend to be written with protagonists who - if they're older than college age - are just freeters (or otherwise salarymen who are neutral - if not negative - towards their jobs).

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Probably since most jobs are boring but in different ways. Although I'm don't read much of the former and YMMV.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
good to see the objectively best romance manga recognized

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Ytlaya posted:

I just read the first chapter of this josei manga Perfect World where the love interest is a guy in a wheelchair. It's actually better than I expected; in the first chapter the dude gets a bedsore, so they're not just giving some overly-optimistic portrayal of the subject (like in this drama I watched in high school called Beautiful Life, which was also about someone in a wheelchair but with genders reversed).

One funny thing I notice about a lot of josei manga is that they involve women working in some sort of professional field (like as a designer in the case of the above manga) but it's usually portrayed in this very vague, if not unrealistic, way that is obviously being written for people who don't work those kinds of jobs themselves. It's like the main point is just to sell the general idea that the protagonist has an active, interesting life. As a contrast, it seems like a lot of seinen manga tend to be written with protagonists who - if they're older than college age - are just freeters (or otherwise salarymen who are neutral - if not negative - towards their jobs).

3am dangerous zone actually does a decent job (imo) of describing the slog of graphic design work, though generally in the US it's less lovely when it comes to hours worked.

And in Cousin, the MC is a neet-y freeter!

But yeah, those are the exceptions. A lot of them end up with the like, 1hr work week trope. Just watching someone do their job is boring, so I understand it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gnossiennes posted:

3am dangerous zone actually does a decent job (imo) of describing the slog of graphic design work, though generally in the US it's less lovely when it comes to hours worked.

And in Cousin, the MC is a neet-y freeter!

But yeah, those are the exceptions. A lot of them end up with the like, 1hr work week trope. Just watching someone do their job is boring, so I understand it.

It's not so much not showing the work (which, as you said, is totally understandable), but more that the job exists to reflect a certain type of lifestyle (that seems tailored to appeal to people who aren't actually working that sort of job, like women who are students, freeters, or housewives). I think there's some sort of wish fulfillment angle to it (kind of a "Sex and the City" sorta thing where the very idea of being a "professional in a big city" is part of the allure), but I think it's more interesting how, in contrast, you don't tend to see that angle as often in seinen manga. I bet part of it is that the people who read seinen either 1. have more social pressure as men to work those sorts of jobs and don't want to be reminded of it, or 2. already work those sorts of jobs and can't really view them through rose-tinted lens as a result.

(The main reason I'm talking about this is that I find the general topic of "what genre conventions/tropes reflect about their audience" interesting, and manga is a medium with quite a few well-defined genres targeted at specific demographics.)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speaking of Takagi, I guess there's a spinoff of Takagi and her daughter.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

It's not so much not showing the work (which, as you said, is totally understandable), but more that the job exists to reflect a certain type of lifestyle (that seems tailored to appeal to people who aren't actually working that sort of job, like women who are students, freeters, or housewives). I think there's some sort of wish fulfillment angle to it (kind of a "Sex and the City" sorta thing where the very idea of being a "professional in a big city" is part of the allure), but I think it's more interesting how, in contrast, you don't tend to see that angle as often in seinen manga. I bet part of it is that the people who read seinen either 1. have more social pressure as men to work those sorts of jobs and don't want to be reminded of it, or 2. already work those sorts of jobs and can't really view them through rose-tinted lens as a result.

(The main reason I'm talking about this is that I find the general topic of "what genre conventions/tropes reflect about their audience" interesting, and manga is a medium with quite a few well-defined genres targeted at specific demographics.)

Maybe after getting home from their grueling depressing jobs those women don't want to spend their leisure time reading about women working grueling depressing jobs.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

DisDisDis posted:

Maybe after getting home from their grueling depressing jobs those women don't want to spend their leisure time reading about women working grueling depressing jobs.

Same reason so many manga take place in high school, or shounen manga leads don't have "work until the trains stop" office jobs. Too many people are stuck with terrible work lives and want to get away from them in fiction.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
If anyone's looking for a short, licensed shojo story, I just finished Yamanaka Hico's The Prince in His Dark Days and really enjoyed it. It's complete at four volumes and is a prince-and-pauper story, where the pauper is a high school girl and the prince is a corporate heir who likes to crossdress (not played for laughs). If I had a complaint, I would have liked it to spend more time on the boy (I'd estimate over 3/4 of the story is the girl's pov) and extend the ~big reveal~ and ending a bit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

Right, but it's interesting that seinen apparently uses different kinds of escapism - the heroes flee from crappy jobs, rather than occasionally interacting with very pleasant jobs.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Right, but it's interesting that seinen apparently uses different kinds of escapism - the heroes flee from crappy jobs, rather than occasionally interacting with very pleasant jobs.

Yeah; like I said in my earlier post, part of me wonders if it isn't because there's a social expectation for men in Japan to work as salarymen at more professional/corporate jobs, so men who aren't already working those jobs don't really want to be reminded of that and don't see it as a positive form of escapism. That same expectation doesn't exist for women, and there's also the added element where women who do happen to be active professionally in that capacity often find it to be a barrier to their love lives (thanks to Japanese sexism and gender roles), so maybe the idea of having a job like that and also finding love is a form of escapism/wish fulfillment for them (in the same way that the idea of finding love as a freeter or NEET is appealing to a significant portion of the male audience).

coathat
May 21, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

There's a whole bunch of salaryman manga about a guy doing really great at his job

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

That vampire manga is creepy as gently caress. Mostly not because vampires, the vampire is just a mega-creepy loser stalker.

Maybe a better vampire manga? http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/chikutaku-bonbon-r3276
But generally yeah, most vampires are sad losers as far as I can tell, so I felt like it was true to life. Also I hope it is obvious to all in the thread, I have terrible taste in manga.

For finding new manga to read, I use otakumole, especially for manga that get dropped from scanslation groups. The format is kinda annoying if you don't have a touch screen but it definitely has a ton of manga hard to find elsewhere.

In terms of job manga, I find that the best ones are the ones depicting mangaka.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if not literal mangaka at least publishing industry jobs; they often get into more detail that the ones with generic "sales" or "design" jobs because it's still an industry authors would be familiar with but you have all the workplace office setting stuff vs some schlub who works at home.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Ever since that day I've been thinking about why Japanese women keep making and consuming idealized stories about the office environment. Now, I think I've finally gotten to the bottom of it.

Well, there you have it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

Ever since that day I've been thinking about why Japanese women keep making and consuming idealized stories about the office environment. Now, I think I've finally gotten to the bottom of it.

Well, there you have it.

Also uniform fetish. Nothing wrong with that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah; like I said in my earlier post, part of me wonders if it isn't because there's a social expectation for men in Japan to work as salarymen at more professional/corporate jobs, so men who aren't already working those jobs don't really want to be reminded of that and don't see it as a positive form of escapism. That same expectation doesn't exist for women, and there's also the added element where women who do happen to be active professionally in that capacity often find it to be a barrier to their love lives (thanks to Japanese sexism and gender roles), so maybe the idea of having a job like that and also finding love is a form of escapism/wish fulfillment for them (in the same way that the idea of finding love as a freeter or NEET is appealing to a significant portion of the male audience).

I like reading about career women if that counts so far the series that did a great job would be 3AM, Tokyo Tarebe Girls, and "&" manga. Even parody series are fine like Love is Difficult for an Otaku is better than yet another HS setting. I thought Tramps like Us had a decent intro to the MC's main job (journalism) but at the same time was dragged down completely by the nonsensical drama.

Also, manga/anime in Japan is aimed towards the niche market and they like terrible harem romcom w/isekai themes. I mean, some kids like anime/manga but they grow out of it during their teens unless they REALLY love the topic. Like anime is funded by the hardcore fans hence it's become very boring the last few years with maybe 2-4 unique stories.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

I like reading about career women if that counts so far the series that did a great job would be 3AM, Tokyo Tarebe Girls, and "&" manga. Even parody series are fine like Love is Difficult for an Otaku is better than yet another HS setting. I thought Tramps like Us had a decent intro to the MC's main job (journalism) but at the same time was dragged down completely by the nonsensical drama.

Also, manga/anime in Japan is aimed towards the niche market and they like terrible harem romcom w/isekai themes. I mean, some kids like anime/manga but they grow out of it during their teens unless they REALLY love the topic. Like anime is funded by the hardcore fans hence it's become very boring the last few years with maybe 2-4 unique stories.

Eh, manga as a whole isn't as niche as anime is (probably mostly due to the production cost issue you mentioned) and has a much greater variety as a result. I could be off-base with this, but the Japanese people I've known (who were from Japan, that is) seemed to distinguish between television anime and manga in terms of the perceived "nerdiness" involved (for lack of a better description). Anime was generally viewed as either a nerd thing or a thing for children, while that wasn't really true for manga.

Unless you were referring to there being sub-markets aimed at otaku niches within the manga medium, which is of course true.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anime is steadily declining and has been for more than the past decade based on the amount of millions of yen the industry is reporting having sold for, with 2016 at 41.8 billion (warning: pdf) yen:

While I haven't been able to find a year-over-year chart for manga to show a similar decline, everything I know tells me it's also happening - however, the manga industry reportedly sold for 445.4 billion yen last year, which is ten-fold that of anime and is a tiny bit (0.4%) more than 2015.

So it's pretty fair to say that manga is a bit more popular than anime.

EDIT: Looking into this, it's a little interesting to look at the currently published series and to note just how big One Piece is; it's currently pulling in double the amount as #2 is, despite the fact that Golgo 13 has been published for double the number of years that One Piece has.
However, perhaps more relevantly, Glass Mask - a romance shoujo manga - is still in the top-20 of currently published series. Unfortunately, owing to its length and still-onging status, it's impossible to say whether the translation that was being attempted will actually be finished - which is unfortunate, because it's supposedly really good.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 20, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
They should try making good shows instead of bad ones. I hear that helps.

poo poo I don't even have anything to watch this season.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Weird, I have plenty of things to watch this season. Maybe you should try liking different things instead of broadly painting them all as bad.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Well, if you're just looking for adaptions and samey generic poo poo, you're in luck I guess.

Until the industry stagnates to death at least.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The loving isekai trend. :argh:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the loving isekai is fine, it's the regular iseki that's bad

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Well, if you're just looking for adaptions and samey generic poo poo, you're in luck I guess.

Until the industry stagnates to death at least.

You can always watch retro anime and past season's shows :shrug:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

the loving isekai is fine, it's the regular iseki that's bad

How does reincarnation happen without at least some loving.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The loving isekai trend. :argh:

"Pavlov McProtag is an unnotable internet goon who's only skill is making snarky, dismissive comments about anime. When Pavlov is suddenly killed in a freak weed-wacker accident, he finds himself reincarnated in a world where all magic is powered by snarky dismissive anime comments! Will Pavlov ever make it home from this new world of custom tailored wish fulfillment and rainbow haired harem of fetish girls?

No."

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Pavlov posted:

"Pavlov McProtag is an unnotable internet goon who's only skill is making snarky, dismissive comments about anime. When Pavlov is suddenly killed in a freak weed-wacker accident, he finds himself reincarnated in a world where all magic is powered by snarky dismissive anime comments! Will Pavlov ever make it home from this new world of custom tailored wish fulfillment and rainbow haired harem of fetish girls?

No."

"You'll never find out because the light novel this anime is based on is never going to end."

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's telling when I sincerely believe there will be an LN with that exact premise someday.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ignoring stuff that disinterests you rather than obsessing over it endlessly also helps

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll never get in my quota of trite comments about everything actually being bad that way.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
I prefer liking things to not liking things!

This one-shot little comedy romance thing was fun:

https://bato.to/comic/_/comics/love-is-blind-r21852

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pavlov posted:

No."

I want one of these isekai stories to end with the protagonist suddenly being transported back to his home world mid-adventure and living the rest of his life as a depressed alcoholic because he can't forget his days as an overpowered hero with a harem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I'm pretty happy with the latest chapter of Shirayukihime and had to rewrite this post like 4 times to keep from it being a nonsense post of all-caps and smilies.

Edit: Ok, maybe just one. :bisonyes: