Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Apparently the kid is a 16 year old Trump supporting Boston fan

Dwight's doing God's work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

EvanTH posted:

Kurt Thomas

That game where Kurt Thomas with a broken fuckin foot beat the Jazz by himself to keep the Knicks in the playoffs (2013) was one of my favorite-ever regular season Knicks games. I can't immediately find a good summary of The Kurt Thomas Game so instead here's a video I liked from 2000ish. Even sings a bit of Passin' Me By at the end, that's two songs in one (I think the hanging upside-down then flipping back is also a visual quote from the Passin' Me By video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WotkQ6vFuGw

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 16, 2017

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spacebump posted:

That team was no fluke. If they didn't have injuries during the season (especially Dirk), they would have been respected more going into the playoffs. However many people were being lazy and following the media narrative that we were going to get LAL vs Miami.

Follow me on this one. This post made me google the Mavericks 2010 roster which made me notice that they had Steve Novak on their team which made me think he had a ring but in actuality he was cut midway through the season which made me google him and this picture came up and I thought it was hilarious

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Also Brian Cardinal got a ring on that team and this is his picture

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

They were all old and that championship team was a fluke anyway

You don't win a championship as a fluke. Especially not against LeBron James

Spacebump posted:

They didn't trade anyone, they simply didn't resign Chandler, Barea, Butler, and DSteve. I will give you not resigning Chandler and Barea was a terrible move. Losing Butler and DSteve wasn't. Turns out Cuban attempting to collude with CP3 and Dwight was a bad idea.

I was also combining letting J-Kidd walk in the same year, but that was a year after, oops. Still seems bizarre not to try to maintain that core, even though they were aging.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

straight up brolic posted:

Nurkic wasn't even that good in the small sample of games that he was good for Portland and he's constantly injured.

He is a good fit for them though

Looks pretty good to me?
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nurkiju01/gamelog/2017/

Especially that final stretch. That's a big pile of Ws and +s. Averaged 15/11 over the last 10 games

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Edit nevermind

Denzel wore some corny Balenciaga sneakers

I thought he was wearing the special adidas Zipster twos modified for paul zipser's extra bones

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 16, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

EvanTH posted:

You don't win a championship as a fluke. Especially not against LeBron James

I was also combining letting J-Kidd walk in the same year, but that was a year after, oops. Still seems bizarre not to try to maintain that core, even though they were aging.

JKidd told Cuban and Dirk he was coming back, then stopped answering his phone, and signed with the Knicks. This is why Cuban doesn't like Kidd anymore. Not that it mattered that much, Kidd was bad after that.

Terry left the same time Kidd did. He spent half his last season with the team writing CTC on his shoes and telling any reporter that would listen Cuban needs to cut the check/give him a big deal.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Doltos posted:

They were all old and that championship team was a fluke anyway

They let Tyson Chandler walk because they didn't want to give him a four year deal. He went on to have the 10th most WS of all players over those four years. Ooops.

Letting Jason Kidd, Caron Butler etc. leave was fine, but if they just kept Chandler and Dirk together they would've stayed a title contender.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Rockets continuing to pile em up

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/886706610575245313?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Good for their defense for sure

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

EvanTH posted:

None of that makes sense man. They've historically done the wrong thing so it's only right to keep doing the wrong thing? "Throwing under the bus" is the dumbest phrase on the planet. Thanks mid-00s Reality TV for the rise of that one. Most of the current situation is because of his no-trade clause. Blame Dolan, Melo or Phil Jackson for that. Blame Melo for being a terrible player who squanders all of his talent by playing like a loving moron.

Trading him for literally anything at all is positive value because he's a negative player who takes up a huge amount of cap space. They would be smart if they could pull that off. Trading Melo for a single 2nd round pick would be a positive move. Amnestying him would be a neutral-ish move to improve the team.

He's spent the last few years playing like he doesn't at all care to be playing basketball. I'm not sure what all the "humiliation" and "curtsying" stuff is, it sounds sexual. The Knicks haven't been a sex-appeal team since they got rid of Kurt Thomas, Pablo Prigioni, Chris Copeland and Tyson Chandler.

Speaking of historically bad GM moves, can someone remind me why the Mavs traded away their entire championship roster?

It is only your opinion that they acted wrongly, not theirs, as the recent TMJ deal illustrate, they continue to not reflect and learn. I brought up Allan Houston, untouchable in the FO per Griffin rumour, as an example of how they did not learn from that very similar situation.

Don't know your what your distaste of the bus phrase is, just saying, Melos been that way for years, and is suddenly under attack this year after noah, rose, Oakley, Phil all made the NBA point and laugh.

Phil is gone, Knicks coulda easily push it all on him, but they didn't and continue to try and move Melo, so someone still there is the driver. He's the one thats gonna be humiliated that Melo can do whatever he wants, right in front of him. This is office politics, and has already driven one person to be fired, so maybe its a thing.

It is also only your opinion as to Melos value, the knicks think differently, or he would already be traded. There wouldn't be rumours of attempts at reconciliation.

To prostrate and curtsy is to submit. Melo wants the respect he feels is due him for the past year's transgression. how was that not clear?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Melo being a negative player isn't my opinion--it's a statistic.

Spacebump posted:

JKidd told Cuban and Dirk he was coming back, then stopped answering his phone, and signed with the Knicks. This is why Cuban doesn't like Kidd anymore. Not that it mattered that much, Kidd was bad after that.

Terry left the same time Kidd did. He spent half his last season with the team writing CTC on his shoes and telling any reporter that would listen Cuban needs to cut the check/give him a big deal.

well, Kidd was really really good for the Knicks the first 1/3rd to 1/2 of the year, actually lead the league in 3p%, then he remembered he's a bad shooter, finished out shooting like .270 from three (0-19 from the field on all shots in his last 9 playoff games) then retired

but man, Chandler won the DPOY the very next year and set all-time league records for Ortng (which appears to be heavily skewed towards ORBs, but a put-back is incredibly efficient offense, and the Knicks shot 10% better from three when he was on the floor because he's so dang canny and also my favorite player)
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/off_rtg_yearly.html

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Melo being a negative player isn't my opinion--it's a statistic.

well, Kidd was really really good for the Knicks the first 1/3rd to 1/2 of the year, actually lead the league in 3p%, then he remembered he's a bad shooter, finished out shooting like .270 from three (0-19 from the field on all shots in his last 9 playoff games) then retired

but man, Chandler won the DPOY the very next year and set all-time league records for Ortng (which appears to be heavily skewed towards ORBs, but a put-back is incredibly efficient offense, and the Knicks shot 10% better from three when he was on the floor because he's so dang canny and also my favorite player)
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/off_rtg_yearly.html

I won't dig them up but my posts from when the Mavs didn't resign Chandler were very angry. What a dumb move by Cuban.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember Cuban offered a 1 year 20 million dollar deal which seemed fair, I dunno.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
For what it's worth, in retrospect I don't think Dallas would have won any championships had they tried to keep everything together. They may have seen the writing on the wall and tried to roll the dice and failed.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Mbah a Moute on a vet min deal seems like a quiet but really good pickup for Houston. Hes not a world beater or anything but he is useful depth to have.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Trevor Ariza is low key playing a lot of minutes/games for a 31 year old. Hopefully w/ the added offensive firepower and some minutes from PJ Tucker+Luc Mbah a Moute, they can spell him and better cover up the gaping defensive wound that is Harden+Gordon+Anderson

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If Chandler didn't have a bad toe when he took his physical oh so many years ago Dallas wouldn't have won a title. Makes you think

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lockback posted:

For what it's worth, in retrospect I don't think Dallas would have won any championships had they tried to keep everything together. They may have seen the writing on the wall and tried to roll the dice and failed.

As others pointed out Chandler not getting resigned was a bad move. I still think their championship was flukey because of how powerful all the other title contenders were that year. Dirk played like a HoFer (like he does every season) but especially so in those playoffs. That team was a powerhouse during the season too but I'd bet on the Lakers or the Heat to win the chip that year 9 times out of 10.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

chunkles posted:

Trevor Ariza is low key playing a lot of minutes/games for a 31 year old. Hopefully w/ the added offensive firepower and some minutes from PJ Tucker+Luc Mbah a Moute, they can spell him and better cover up the gaping defensive wound that is Harden+Gordon+Anderson

he was #19 in the nba in minutes and was the only rocket last year who could defend a 2,3 or 4 worth a poo poo, had tough defensive assignments almost every night. And his durability can't last forever. Really happy to have other players who can defend.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spacebump posted:

I won't dig them up but my posts from when the Mavs didn't resign Chandler were very angry. What a dumb move by Cuban.

I can imagine they were. Everyone knew how important that guy was, if he left, then they were done going to the finals.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
"Throwing someone under the bus" is a pet-peeve of mine. First, it grew in prominence during the Writers' Strike when a bunch of reality TV contestants (aka The People Broadly Accepted As The World's Worst And Dumbest) would use it 5 times an episode to indicate someone else callously trying to gain advantage over them. Naturally it spread like cancer.

AND In and of itself, it's either a terrible metaphor, or a completely misused one. People utilize it as if it's a variation of "throwing someone to the wolves," but there's no self-preservation in throwing someone under a moving bus. There's no implication that you remove yourself from harm's way by doing it. It's just murdering another pedestrian using a passing extant force, no obvious advantage gained. In fact, you're probably going to go prison if you do it since it's implied there are witnesses on the city street. A bus driver, at the very least.

It's a moronic phrase from morons, by morons, for morons.

Spacebump posted:

I wanna see 'em it sounds like you knew what you were talkin' about :D

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

G-Hawk posted:

Mbah a Moute on a vet min deal seems like a quiet but really good pickup for Houston. Hes not a world beater or anything but he is useful depth to have.

They may have also got him for a potential Ariza trade.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
You are wrong, the implication is that a bus is going to run you over, so you throw someone under it as a speed bump granting you time or derailing its path completely.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Femur posted:

You are wrong, the implication is that a bus is going to run you over, so you throw someone under it as a speed bump granting you time.

Ah, yes, a thing that only makes sense if you're not thinking or if you're terrible at thinking. A great phrase to identify oneself as a moron.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Ah, yes, a thing that only makes sense if you're not thinking or if you're terrible at thinking. A great phrase to identify oneself as a moron.

I don't know, would a bus driver not stop upon running someone over, saving yourself? makes complete sense to me.

Morons employ this tactic, which you admit the knicks are. checks out to me.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Kibner posted:

They may have also got him for a potential Ariza trade.

i don't think ariza is at all likely to move, certainly not in a Carmelo deal. Obviously there could be some sort of other deal out there where trevor ariza is hardly gonna be a deal breaker. But i think its just bench depth.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

Keeping Chandler and getting a point guard better than old Jason Kidd would have kept them in the argument.

Metapod posted:

If Chandler didn't have a bad toe when he took his physical oh so many years ago Dallas wouldn't have won a title. Makes you think

It makes me think that OKC team doctor shouldn't be a team doctor.

Doltos posted:

As others pointed out Chandler not getting resigned was a bad move. I still think their championship was flukey because of how powerful all the other title contenders were that year. Dirk played like a HoFer (like he does every season) but especially so in those playoffs. That team was a powerhouse during the season too but I'd bet on the Lakers or the Heat to win the chip that year 9 times out of 10.

Lol at the 11 Lakers beating the 11 Mavs 9 times out of 10. The Mavs swept them so badly that Phil Jackson decided he couldn't compete anymore and retired from coaching. The Mavs were simply better than every other team that year. A team with Pau Gasol on it can't beat a team with Dirk on it in the playoffs.

edit:
The one team that I think would have given the Mavs a good series that year is the Bulls. DRose would have eaten their guard rotation alive.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 17, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wait, are we seriously claiming that putting someone in front of you a whole foot or two will prevent you from being hit by a moving bus? And that a moving bus can stop on a dime once the driver hits the brakes?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Pre-Harden Morey probably woulda flipped Ariza on the end of this contract for sure, but it seems like he's changed philosophies and the teams who'd want a Trevor Ariza rental wouldn't have much to give anyways.

Besides I finally just came to terms with Trevor Ariza and accepted him for who he is, I don't want him to leave :(

https://streamable.com/5pcu9

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Lakers were fully healthy with both Bynum and Pau, they had no excuses and still lost badly.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Yes, the bus will flip and fly over your head.

are you saying a pile of people would not stop a bus?

In the metephorical situation, melo is a pile, in stature.

Also, bus driver could also feel guilt for hurting unrelated, his bloodlust could be sated, or a splat would make the driver pay attention.

or you use the inertia to be swing out of the way. so many uses. we're all making assumptions about this bus.

Femur fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 17, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doltos posted:

You believe the Lakers would, in a majority of cases, beat a team that in actual fact swept them with a 56 point margin in only 4 games even when they were totally healthy, and that they would also have beaten the Thunder and Heat approximately ever. As an alternate theory I propose that you are delusional

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

As an alternate theory I propose that you are delusional

Arguing with someone that said no one will remember Ali

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DeimosRising posted:

You believe the Lakers would, in a majority of cases, beat a team that in actual fact swept them with a 56 point margin in only 4 games even when they were totally healthy, and that they would also have beaten the Thunder and Heat approximately ever. As an alternate theory I propose that you are delusional

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but the Lakers, Spurs, and Thunder all looked way better than the Mavs going into the playoffs and a lot of people expected the Mavs to get beat in the first round. The Mavs swept the Lakers but that was a big surprise, not an expected outcome.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the rockets rotation as it stands:

Chris Paul
James Harden/Eric Gordon
Trevor Ariza/Luc Mbah a Moute
Ryan Anderson/PJ Tucker
Clint Capela/Nene

D League/Trade/fill out the bench fodder:
PF Zhou Qi
C Chinanu Onuaku
C Tarik Black
PF Cameron Oliver
SF Jarrod Uthoff
PG Isaiah Taylor
PG Bobby Brown* not signed yet

You done good Morey. I like the team even if there are no further trades, obviously swapping Anderson out for Melo would be nice.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Femur posted:

or you use the inertia to be swing out of the way. so many uses.

Need to change it to "one ice skater throws the other skater under the bus"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao at someone getting legit mad at someone using the bus toss metaphor.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Q: you are Carmelo Anthony and you are stuck in space with an asteroid headed straight for you. How do you get out of it's path?
A: throw your top hat in the direction opposite you wish to go

Q: you are Michael Sweetney. How close to the speed of light must you be traveling to fit into your rookie year uniform
A: ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

G-Hawk posted:

the rockets rotation as it stands:

Chris Paul
James Harden/Eric Gordon
Trevor Ariza/Luc Mbah a Moute
Ryan Anderson/PJ Tucker
Clint Capela/Nene

D League/Trade/fill out the bench fodder:
PF Zhou Qi
C Chinanu Onuaku
C Tarik Black
PF Cameron Oliver
SF Jarrod Uthoff
PG Isaiah Taylor
PG Bobby Brown* not signed yet

You done good Morey. I like the team even if there are no further trades, obviously swapping Anderson out for Melo would be nice.

Thats a pretty good line-up, Morey has done really well as usual.

• Locked thread