Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Willa Rogers posted:

and dem scum literally allowed president lieberman to singlehandedly reject medicare expansion, which would have avoided the state-by-state rejection of medicaid expansion.

Reminder that they actively facilitated his electoral victory over a Democrat who primaried him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
what's the title in reference to

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Cathy Ryan ranting about the evils of universal healthcare in Sum of All Fears should have tipped us all off.

Like I said, that's where the books stopped being just fun dumb escapist spy thrillers and became dedicated rightwing gunwank (which though present previously, hadn't been nearly as overt).

Thoguh posted:

And in the following book he spent several chapters advocating a flat income tax. Even high school me was weirded out by that.

And having Iran annex Iraq following a palace coup against the unnamed dictator who was clearly a Saddam stand-in, which didn't turn into a nightmare and for which the surviving Iraqi military just sorta shrugged and said, "enh, we Muslims are all evil after all, so let's give it a chance."

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rainbow Six was the first Clancy I ever read and it was meh. It was on a Bill Clinton reading list one summer and I got it cheap at Borders.

A decade later I finally read Hunt for Red October and it's an actual good book. I see why Clancy made money off it.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

my favorite part of rainbow six was when they left the eco-terrorists in the middle of a jungle with nothing and treated it like poetic justice

by favorite I mean :wtc:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

For me it's a tie between Red Storm Rising and Cardinal of the Kremlin. Without Remorse was fun in a dumb, "Death Wish" sorta way.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
otoh reagan recommended red storm rising to thatcher "in order to gain an understanding of the Soviet Union's intentions and strategy."

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

as much as clancy jacked off the military he got plenty back for glorifying them to the extreme

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The idea that people in power read Clancy and take it seriously scares me.

UHD posted:

my favorite part of rainbow six was when they left the eco-terrorists in the middle of a jungle with nothing and treated it like poetic justice

Yeah you can just imagine Clancy had that ending and was smirking the entire time while pounding away at the keyboard.

Checkmate, environmentalists :smug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

For me it's a tie between Red Storm Rising and Cardinal of the Kremlin. Without Remorse was fun in a dumb, "Death Wish" sorta way.

I'm also going to make a shoutout to Clear and Present Danger for not being such a cheerleader. It wasn't flattering towards the War on Drugs, it wasn't flattering towards the intelligence community and how it conducts business vis-a-vis Congress and the Presidency, and the story hardly ended on a positive note

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Rand alPaul posted:

Yeah you can just imagine Clancy had that ending and was smirking the entire time while pounding away at the keyboard.

Checkmate, environmentalists :smug:

His books always carried an element of "fuckos getting their just desserts," which only got worse as he went along in the 90s. Like in Executive Orders the climax of the book is now-President Ryan murdering the head of Iran's supreme council with a smartbomb strike which he has broadcast live on cnn, and the rest of the world is all like, "Enh, he had it coming for that ebola thing."

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
who is the 21st century clancy that trump has on his night table?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm also going to make a shoutout to Clear and Present Danger for not being such a cheerleader. It wasn't flattering towards the War on Drugs, it wasn't flattering towards the intelligence community and how it conducts business vis-a-vis Congress and the Presidency, and the story hardly ended on a positive note

Yeah that one is kind of an outlier, now that you mention it.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

rudatron posted:

what's the title in reference to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHhhwi0vid4

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
never read any tom clancy but i have read the turner diaries which seems like ideology enough

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

hasnt posted a video since last year. :( rip

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I imagine after clancy got popular some general visited him and was all "hey uh... you write a good piece making us look cool and we'll let you ride in a military helicopter we'll throw in a cool aviator jacket too"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

UHD posted:

I imagine after clancy got popular some general visited him and was all "hey uh... you write a good piece making us look cool and we'll let you ride in a military helicopter we'll throw in a cool aviator jacket too"

Near the end of his life, he started getting lots of gigs as an expert on various bits of schlock the military channel put out, in which he'd invariably wear a bomber jacket and aviator shades.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

UHD posted:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
tom clancy loved valor stealing with hats

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

just the fuckin picture I was thinking of too

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

UHD posted:

that was after hunting them with infrared sensors so it was a turkey shoot. like... for a compelling story you're supposed to not make the 'good' guys invincible...

Rand alPaul posted:

WarGames made Reagan calm down his ww3 rhetoric.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've only seen the movie and yeah Jack Ryan is basically a whistleblower that takes down the presidency .

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
stealing valor is cool and i do it every time i go to harris teeter

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

got any sevens posted:

that was after hunting them with infrared sensors so it was a turkey shoot. like... for a compelling story you're supposed to not make the 'good' guys invincible...

well yeah he had a military to jack off

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Didn't like three quarters of rainbow six have nothing to do with the main plot? I seem to recall them dealing with random acts of terrorism with no connection to the hippies making super plague in the background

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Darkman Fanpage posted:

The staff of Highlights For Kids

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Trump can't read

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willa Rogers posted:

by expanding the federal single-payer program (medicare) instead of the state single-payer program (medicaid) or by federalizing medicaid.

so it's not gonna happen, then

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

got any sevens posted:

So part of the "brand mystique" that Clancy built up for himself was his ability to keep an eye on current and beyond-cutting-edge trends in military technology and extrapolate that into his stories:

* Red Storm Rising predicted the development of a Stealth Fighter and the shortage of smart weapons in a shooting war. Both happened by the Gulf War. The F-117 was all sharp angles rather than the smooth gentle curves of RSR's F-19 Frisbee, but then you get to the B-2 and the prophecy is complete.

* Hunt for Red October looked at the possibility of a magneto-hydrodynamic drive as a "silent" alternative to normal submarine propulsion. It never caught on because the tech was never powerful enough to be used in ships beyond prototypes, but it was proven to be workable. Also, Red October talked about the inner workings of current subs in such detail that the story goes that the government sent a couple of guys to talk to Clancy to ask how he got the information on A Thing. When he asked which Thing it was they were asking about, they said it was classified.

* The Sum of All Fears had a disclaimer that enough of the details on how to make an nuclear weapon had been changed or omitted that it couldn't be used by the reader themselves.

But! He got burned in Rainbow Six. Apparently at the time he was writing it, someone was shopping around the prospective technology for a "heartbeat sensor", which was supposed to be able to detect human heartbeats across walls and poo poo. It was later proven to have been completely bogus, basically akin to the guy that sold mine detectors to the Iraqis which were just glorified divining rods, but not before Clancy had already written about it in R6.

It would indeed have been completely "overpowered" had it been true, but now the only traces of it are in the Rainbow Six video games, which carried them over from the book.

got any sevens posted:

WarGames made Reagan calm down his ww3 rhetoric.
Actually, it was The Day After with Jason Robards and Steve Guttenberg.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Didn't like three quarters of rainbow six have nothing to do with the main plot? I seem to recall them dealing with random acts of terrorism with no connection to the hippies making super plague in the background
The environmental corporation that was planning the Super Ebola was paying off an ex-Soviet agent to hire various terrorist groups to do commit all those other attacks. I think it was to serve as a distraction, but it's been too long for me to recall the exact train of thought.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I think so yeah it's been a while

you could explain it as building up the badasses before they take on the mean ecoterrorists but that might be giving clancy too much credit

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
Srry bout the Jimmy-Jimmy, but the guy he's interviewing is cool and good. I esp. like his points on small business, since I find most of Bernie's responses to that issue very troublesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s2INSZnSA0

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Joh Ringo! :ghost:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://twitter.com/liberalism_txt/status/886792465591808001

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Darkman Fanpage posted:

:godwin:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

The donor class is very much not united right now as it dawns on them that the democrats can't actually follow up on any of their promises if they can't win

The thing many people don't understand is that while both the Democratic and Republican parties represent the interests of the wealthy, not all wealthy agree with one another. So basically Republicans are the party of "Particularly malicious/FYGM and/or socially conservative wealthy people" and Democrats are the party of "Socially liberal wealthy people who at least care about stuff like poverty on an intellectual level." Of course, it is still a huge problem that our political leadership mostly just reflects the interests of the rich, but a lot of people fall into the trap of assuming that the rich all think the same stuff.

Of course, the fact that only rich people have a heavy influence on politicians means there are certain ideas they do almost universally share, with the most obvious being an opposition to any policy that would actually significantly negatively impact them financially or threaten the position of the rich relative to the rest of society. So Democrats might be willing to increase taxes on the rich a bit, but never to the extent that would actually cause a significant shift in the portion of wealth the rich control relative to the rest of society.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

maybe you are right but gently caress that eat the rich

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress the rich then eat them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UHD posted:

maybe you are right but gently caress that eat the rich

Hey nothing I said indicates we shouldn't still eat the rich!

• Locked thread