Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well there is the "why don't we make Miss Marple a man!!!!!111" take. That's fairly dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ewe2 posted:

Well there is the "why don't we make Miss Marple a man!!!!!111" take. That's fairly dumb.

I saw one guy all 'What about Miss Marple! And Xena! And Lara Croft! What if they were men!' apparently not realising that those characters are a little unusual already because they are women. They are archetypes that are more often male. So of course it'd be rubbish if Xena were a dude, because she would just be Better Hercules. What they really mean is 'how would you like it if we ruined YOUR thing' which, my thing is Doctor Who, and that's always been a dude so far, so I'd be okay with it?

Excuse if incoherent. Time for bed.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ewe2 posted:

Someone on the Mail website suggested Frank Bruno for that role.

Which would kick so much rear end.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

HopperUK posted:

What they really mean is 'how would you like it if we ruined YOUR thing' which, my thing is Doctor Who, and that's always been a dude so far, so I'd be okay with it?

Exactly this. They see it as a loss, something taken away, because they define it unconsciously perhaps as a power role and men have a blindness when it comes to power of any sort.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lowtechs posted:

I would love to come into her TARDIS. (sorry could not resist).
Oh god, the idiots are going to start making a whole bunch of "bigger on the inside" jokes soon, aren't they?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Re: Davison possibly being down on the idea of a female Doctor. Here's his only tweet on the topic so far:

https://twitter.com/peterdavison5/status/886741000810627072

While I agree that being encouraging toward those who are concerned is good....that complete ignores the people who skipped way past "concerned" and straight toward "hostile and sexist".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah it's absolutely the right principle, but for fucks like Ian Levine saying "this has ruined Doctor Who forever RIP" purely because a lady is now the Doctor, complete disdain is an appropriate response.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Much like with the 2016 Ghostbusters reimagining, I do worry about how criticism toward Whittaker's Doctor, Chibnall, Series 11 overall, etc will be taken.

I want people to be able to express disappointment with an episode without any disagreement being attributed to sexism. Thankfully today in the wake of the announcement, I've mostly seen trepidation based on Whittaker's actual acting history taken seriously...but I worry that "if you don't think she's the best Doctor ever, you're just an outdated misogynist" will get tossed around.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

I want people to be able to express disappointment with an episode without any disagreement being attributed to sexism. Thankfully today in the wake of the announcement, I've mostly seen trepidation based on Whittaker's actual acting history taken seriously...but I worry that "if you don't think she's the best Doctor ever, you're just an outdated misogynist" will get tossed around.

I kind of worry about this also. I'm sure that wont happen around here but elsewhere on the internet I'm sure this will spark all kinds of endless and eternal flame wars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it is safe to say that if you express an opinion about anything, someone somewhere is ready to call you a bigot or a cuck or whatever catchphrase that group has.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Already disappointed in Chibnall's new villain. :(

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

jivjov posted:

Much like with the 2016 Ghostbusters reimagining, I do worry about how criticism toward Whittaker's Doctor, Chibnall, Series 11 overall, etc will be taken.

Half the episodes are stinkers in many of the previous seasons. We better be able to express disappointment, because we're probably getting some bad episodes.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

jivjov posted:

Much like with the 2016 Ghostbusters reimagining

Here's the difference between this and Ghostbusters: Nobody wanted Ghostbusters. I mean, really, in 2016 the demand for the revival of that creative property was near nil. Maybe a few specific people's involvement would make that a movie people would want to see, but it would be despite the name and not because of it. Like if Edgar Wright made a Ghostbusters movie I'd probably check it out, but that's more treading on his reputation than the franchise's.

This is a change that's been trial ballooned for years, at least as far back as "The Doctor's Wife" to see how people would react to gender-bending in continuity and even further back when it comes to "can you see a woman as a rogue time lord like The Doctor". There have been editorials and thinkpieces asking for this, everyone knew it was an eventuality but some didn't want to accept it.

And it's kind of unfortunate for someone like Davison, who knows the stones and pitchforks of this awkward fandom, will defend people flipping out over what little we've seen so far instead of just pointing out that we've seen almost loving nothing.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Craptacular! posted:

even further back when it comes to "can you see a woman as a rogue time lord like The Doctor".

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

man modern regeneration episodes are the worst

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jivjov posted:

Re: Davison possibly being down on the idea of a female Doctor. Here's his only tweet on the topic so far:

https://twitter.com/peterdavison5/status/886741000810627072

I think it's great how all the previous doctors are responding in character.

Here we can see Five wanting to believe in the best of people, even in the face of contrary evidence

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell, you could argue that Warriors' Gate is basically Romana having an adventure as the female Doctor. That one was made in 1981!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I watched the clip again before bed because it owns, and I think the best part is the way her face lights up looking at the TARDIS. Not a single word said and she nails the entire scene.

dis gon be good y'all

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

Hell, you could argue that Warriors' Gate is basically Romana having an adventure as the female Doctor. That one was made in 1981!

When the show was on hiatus in the middle of C. Bakes' run they consulted Sydney Newman on what he thought they could do to get things back on track. He suggested a female Doctor.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

:3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

When the show was on hiatus in the middle of C. Bakes' run they consulted Sydney Newman on what he thought they could do to get things back on track. He suggested a female Doctor.

He also felt that bringing back Patrick Troughton for a little bit would make the show better. He was right!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

(I'm not going to lie, I might've reacted with a 'holy christ she's pretty')

I definitely will admit it's gonna be a bit weird, being on the side of DW fandom that finds the Doctor to be very attractive. :allears:

That said, though, while I gave up on the show under Moffat, I'm definitely interested and intrigued and I'll probably end up giving the series under Chibnall a shot again, at least for a few episodes, and see how I like it. I'm all for having a woman take on the role of the Doctor, so hopefully the scripts will do justice to the boldness of this decision.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I definitely will admit it's gonna be a bit weird, being on the side of DW fandom that finds the Doctor to be very attractive. :allears:

Oh you never watched the Pertwee era stuff? :)

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Box of Bunnies posted:

To be evenhanded, a female Doctor under JNT would probably not have gone well.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Oh you never watched the Pertwee era stuff? :)

As the Brigadier once said, "Handsome chaps - all of you." :v:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I'm always weirded out by seeing a different actor playing a character as was played by a dead actor. But then I remember the Ainley Master and that really this is nothing new.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Knormal posted:

Stolen from the Idiots on Social Media Thread:

So what's the average age of Who fans in the UK? Here in the US they're probably almost all 20-30 year olds, is it a much more even spread over there or do the old or new fans outnumber the other side?

I would guess 8 years old and both sexes. People forget that even though there was a break Harry Potter happened in between. A lot of adults watch it while watching their own children, because it's flat out funny. Imagine how awesome it was for me to sit my four children down in front of the television and show them blink, my middle daughter still eyes statues with great suspicion.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think I got it. My theory is that the men complaining about there being a woman who are those same men who refuse to neuter their dog because it would make him less of a man.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Daily Mail being super classy and showing all the times an actor who has played the Doctor got naked. Mostly the new lady though. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4701602/Doctor-Jodie-Whittaker-seen-TOTALLY-NAKED-Smoke.html

https://twitter.com/NerdPyle/status/886618737167613952

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

I think I got it. My theory is that the men complaining about there being a woman who are those same men who refuse to neuter their dog because it would make him less of a man.

Every time a competent female does anything in public (actor or whatever) their penis shrinks slightly in response. Permanently.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess we know who is last place for :nws: this incredibly cringe conversation.

quote:

why do you think Pertwee has the largest?

quote:

because he's Jon fuckin Pertwee, that's why.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Daily Mail being super classy and showing all the times an actor who has played the Doctor got naked. Mostly the new lady though. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4701602/Doctor-Jodie-Whittaker-seen-TOTALLY-NAKED-Smoke.html

quote:

This is going to sound cruel - but looking at that picture of her backside, I couldn't help thinking what terrible shape she's in considering she's only in her early 30's.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

Someone on the Mail website suggested Frank Bruno for that role.

Which would kick so much rear end.

Introducing

CHRIS EUBANK

as

MISS MARPLE

Box of Bunnies posted:

Sure, Tom Baker suggested that when he was asked who was replacing him.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mike Tyson Mysteries is already a thing though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jivjov posted:

If you take GB2016 as an example, we can expect idiot fans to post incredibly negative and sexist poo poo on every single Facebook post that even vaguely references 13 for the next several years, including Halloween posts that show small children dressed up as their favorite character.

I love Ghostbusters, but the fan reaction to that movie was so asinine and downright embarrassing. It's one thing to hate a movie, it's another to extend that vitriol to anyone who dares to enjoy it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://twitter.com/Manglewood/status/886831261737766917

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I, for one, would be fine with seeing Wonder Man. A whole island of incredibly fit dudes? :getin:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

For the record, both Marvel and DC actually have characters called "Wonder Man" already.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Guess I'm more in line with Davison's view. It seems weird to me to enjoy good news specifically because it pisses off the right people, ranging from those who are a bit fuddy-duddy to even the outright nasty. It's just TV. Seems better to be happy about the news because they cast a good actress and things will be a fresher and newer.

She was great in that promo though. Acted and looked the part perfectly. She totally is The Doctor though, whether everyone likes it or not. I hope she gets some great scripts and the team make some really good stories. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Stabbatical posted:

She was great in that promo though. Acted and looked the part perfectly. She totally is The Doctor though, whether everyone likes it or not. I hope she gets some great scripts and the team make some really good stories. :)

That's my fear. She'd a great actor and did very well in all I've seen her, I'm sure she will do very well as Doctor, as all actors in NuWho have done (even if I think Tennant, while brilliant, overstayed his welcome by at least one season and a few specials), but Chibnell is the one I'm worried about. Broadchurch I liked for 1/2 of the first season (and even then it was more the great performances than the script), and was very disappointed and annoyed with for the other 3/4 of it. Torchwood was bad, Camelot mediocre and the episodes he's done for Doctor Who ranged from boring to bad, and the best part again and again were the performances of the actors. Same with L&O:UK, where I don't know if you can even count rewriting stories from the US version for the UK.

He seems to do quite well with writing characters though, maybe if he has someone else, who puts them into actual stories it might work better?

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 17, 2017

• Locked thread