Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

The remodel isn't exactly bad (except for the kitchen), i just feel like they could've kept more of the character of the house.

I think complaints could have been warranted if the house had any character to begin with. The "before" pictures look like shotgun housing in Independence, MO except with slightly less plywood flooring and carpet stains.

The only problems I see in the new version are:
- The front yard should have a tree planted to replace the old one, but nobody's gonna use that yard anyway so whatever
- That chimney's gonna fall right over in an earthquake, but Portland still doesn't believe in those so whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Oh wow, I thought it was just a bad angle.

Now that I look closer, I hate how all the storage that kitchen does have is pull-out shelves. Where the gently caress are you supposed to store your pots and pans?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Youth Decay posted:

The second-to-last photo is part of the old attic, they just added a huge mega-dormer to it to increase the square footage. It definitely needed fixing up (that flooring ew) but I'm just not a fan of plain off-white walls + light brown laminate everywhere. And I really like built-in things so I wish they would've kept or put in some shelving at the end.

It's mostly the kitchen I hate. No upper cabinets might make it look ~clean~ and ~minimalist~ but they've gotten rid of like half the storage space.

oh poo poo, well good job then i guess if i didn't recognize it.

also seconding "gently caress doing the entire house in the exact same color laminate when you could probably have it different on different floors or areas and look way better"

Haifisch posted:

Now that I look closer, I hate how all the storage that kitchen does have is pull-out shelves. Where the gently caress are you supposed to store your pots and pans?

i'm talking to someone about a future kitchen remodel right now and apparently that's the hotness, and the answer is that you put your pots and pans in the pull out thing like a loving lunatic.

i am not planning to have this feature.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
We're only seeing two walls of the kitchen, one with windows and the other with an external door. I figure there are upper cabinets on the other two walls?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Anne Whateley posted:

We're only seeing two walls of the kitchen, one with windows and the other with an external door. I figure there are upper cabinets on the other two walls?

y'know, i assumed the same thing, and here i am looking at new cabinets :saddowns:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

i'm talking to someone about a future kitchen remodel right now and apparently that's the hotness, and the answer is that you put your pots and pans in the pull out thing like a loving lunatic.

i am not planning to have this feature.

I recommend just getting a hanging ceiling rack for that stuff. We added this one into our small kitchen a few months after moving in and now we don't need to allocate a ton of storage space to large items anymore, and finding a specific pot is super easy. There's also wall racks you can get for holding the lids.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
That original attic ceiling makes me feel like I'm turning on warp drive.

I'm not crazy about the exact exterior treatment, nor the lack of cabinets in the kitchen, but overall it's really not bad. The dormers add a ton of floor space and turn a claustrophobic floor into something rather nice. The price sure makes me balk, though I don't know the area at all.

Regarding pull-out shelving for pots and pans: They can actually be pretty nice. I installed a two-tier Rev-A-Shelf unit into one of our cabinets and it does a great job of lid storage and accessibility to the entire depth of the cabinet. It would be even better if our cabinet were just an inch or two taller -- I uninstalled the pan rack and just made it a flat pull-out shelf because the pans and lids together were just a hair too tall. But pull-outs make cabinet storage really convenient.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Progressive JPEG posted:

I recommend just getting a hanging ceiling rack for that stuff. We added this one into our small kitchen a few months after moving in and now we don't need to allocate a ton of storage space to large items anymore, and finding a specific pot is super easy. There's also wall racks you can get for holding the lids.

i was thinking that, the comedy thing right now is that my stand mixer is just sitting on the loving floor because there's already not enough cupboard space for my pots and pans and the only cupboard it fits in won't close. none of the high shelves would really safely support it or allow access without a loving stepladder.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Just get a second kitchen for the actual cooking stuff IMO

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Convert one of the spare bedrooms to kitchen storage. You gotta have at least 500 bedrooms for good resale value anyway, might as well use them.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
We have no closets on our ground floor, and no common-area closets ... anywhere, come to think if it. "Where do we keep the vacuum?" is a more complicated question than it has any right to be when the answer is either "in the storage area in the basement" or "in the one closet in the attic" ... and literally every floor needs at least occasional vacuuming. But it's also an issue with kitchen storage -- we just don't have room for everything, and we use pretty much all of it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Haifisch posted:

My pots and pans are in large drawers and it's great. I can get to the ones in the back without taking everything else out first.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

Let's have to wash grease and dust off of our pots whenever we want to cook.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Let's have to wash grease and dust off of our pots whenever we want to cook.

Grease: Yeah, don't put it over the stovetop
Dust: Known for collecting on vertical surfaces, impossible to rinse off

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

tetrapyloctomy posted:

We have no closets on our ground floor, and no common-area closets ... anywhere, come to think if it. "Where do we keep the vacuum?" is a more complicated question than it has any right to be when the answer is either "in the storage area in the basement" or "in the one closet in the attic" ... and literally every floor needs at least occasional vacuuming. But it's also an issue with kitchen storage -- we just don't have room for everything, and we use pretty much all of it.

You can buy a free-standing cupboard(s)
https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tabletop/sb0/food-pantries-c246777.html
There are probably some available way cheaper on Craigslist

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Haifisch posted:

Convert one of the spare bedrooms to kitchen storage. You gotta have at least 500 bedrooms for good resale value anyway, might as well use them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW6rv6rxCsY&t=52s

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our pull-out drawers are awesome. Pots, pans and oil under the stove.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mixing bowls, knives and tupperware under the sink. Baking and bbq stuff on the very bottom. Extra detergent and sponges under the dishwasher. I just buy little bottles, not the Costco 3 gallon tub.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Youth Decay posted:

You can buy a free-standing cupboard(s)
https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tabletop/sb0/food-pantries-c246777.html
There are probably some available way cheaper on Craigslist

Oh trust me, I've long wanted a free-standing pantry/closet. Where in the hell I can actually put one, on the other hand ...

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Youth Decay posted:

How to ruin a house the Portland way

After:
This skinny wooden columns trend needs to stop.

I loving hate this trend. Specifically the dark grey siding and orangey wood. The black trim. Big plain square windows. Every new building in the Portland area has this. EVERY ONE OF THEM. They're all the loving same.

The apartment complex across from me even repainted their old siding to dark grey with orange sections. To be trendy.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
If it's cedar, it should age to a silver-grey color, at least.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That house is "west coast modern" in a nutshell and done to a mediocre level. Needs a metal roof though for the true west coast reno.
I honestly don't mind them, they're not my style and I don't think this example does it very well. But a lot of people are going to in for a shock what their shiny new red cedar exterior ages to. Then again a lot don't even use real cedar, sometimes it's a hardiplank like material with a smooth cedar-like finish.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

I'm alarmed that there doesn't seem to be a coating or something to avoid random sharp edges on the wall.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I actually LOVE this house, but it may be the most over-the-top Queen Anne I've ever seen. Most of this is obviously not original but it is spectacular all the same.

So many McMansions attempt this entry hall, this is how it's done for real

You aren't a real aristocrat unless you have your Live Laugh Loves in stained glass

The entire ceiling (including the beams) is trompe l'oleil. The real ceiling angle is cut off above the window.

Can be yours for $599,000. Gotta love Midwestern home prices.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

The frustrating thing about the Portland remodel is that they seem to have deleted the front bedroom in favor of creating an oversized eating area and a tight little living room. It looks like they only created one bedroom in the attic, so now what was a cozy little family home is no longer suitable for anyone with kids. It's a shame they pulled down the cove ceiling too. Those little postwar tract houses don't seem architecturally significant now, but I'm sure in 50 years we'll feel differently.

That little house in particular needed some work, for sure. Better to remodel it and keep the footprint and neighborhood character rather than buying adjacent lots and cramming in a big boxy apartment building.

E: That Victorian is pretty fantastic. The decoration is certainly done in the spirit of the time period. I wonder what the 1895 owners would make of it if we could time travel them into it.

whalesteak fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 17, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's a lot of decor in that Queen Anne that gives me hives - the diseased-looking spotty armoire, the "amusement park theme restaurant" mural style - but special shoutout to the toilet tapestry. One imagines a desperate moment, an empty roll, a moment of panicked indecision...

Edit: Upon closer inspection, that is an iron grate. Now I don't know what to think.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 17, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
That's a house that's lovely to look at, but I can't imagine how stuffy it'd feel to actually live in. Maybe it's because I've done multiple "gawk at this lavish house owned by some old dead dude" tours recently, but actually using anything in that house would make me feel like I'm ruining a museum piece.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Progressive JPEG posted:

Just get a second kitchen for the actual cooking stuff IMO

i can't find it any more on the listings, which i hope doesn't mean it sold, but there was a place up for sale here where they did that. they wanted a bigger kitchen but didn't want to reno, so they just had the sink and counters and fridge in one room, and more counters and the stove in what I guess used to be the dining room, making the stove like fifteen feet from the sink and also down a four inch step.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If I ever had stupid amounts of space and money I could see having a "workshop" kitchen where all your Urban Homesteading projects happen (slowly losing what precious kitchen space we have to Large Brontosaurus's diy yogurt and charcuterie and sourdough starter and homemade pickles) and a smaller one for microwaving Trader Joe's curries on "gently caress it" days.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Youth Decay posted:

I actually LOVE this house, but it may be the most over-the-top Queen Anne I've ever seen. Most of this is obviously not original but it is spectacular all the same.
Looks like the drat house from the first season of American Horror Story

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm the loving queen anne stained glass version of "live laugh love" wall words.
I really don't like this house. I've seen Queen Anne done tastefully inside and out but this ain't it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I'm the loving queen anne stained glass version of "live laugh love" wall words.
I really don't like this house. I've seen Queen Anne done tastefully inside and out but this ain't it.

My favorite thing about that is in the wide shot it kinda looked like a tweet. Which sadly does NOT exist on GIS, so here's this:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

If a Queen Anne is "tasteful" they're doing it wrong IMO. It should be ornate and extravagant and have all the little Victorian idiosyncrasies turned up to 11. I bet the original builders would have approved o most of the design choices of the house above.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

If I ever had stupid amounts of space and money I could see having a "workshop" kitchen where all your Urban Homesteading projects happen (slowly losing what precious kitchen space we have to Large Brontosaurus's diy yogurt and charcuterie and sourdough starter and homemade pickles) and a smaller one for microwaving Trader Joe's curries on "gently caress it" days.

I grew up in a house with a "canning kitchen." Full sized kitchen in the basement for sauce making and well...canning, in addition to the normal upstairs kitchen. It used to be pretty common in this area, mostly in Italian immigrant homes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ever since I moved out of the suite in my parent's basement my dad has taken over the kitchen down there as his sort of work kitchen so he doesn't bother my mom's daily routine when he's cooking up some big batch of something, it's sort of cute. It's also a bit sad because the main kitchen is all granite and stainless and big but it's just used for making her quick simple meals while the suite kitchen is probably worse than my current apartment kitchen.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm sorry I thought this thread was for posting houses, not screencaps from Shrek 5.

Could someone clarify what you mean by "pull out shelves"? They kinda just look like drawers to me :confused:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm sorry I thought this thread was for posting houses, not screencaps from Shrek 5.

Could someone clarify what you mean by "pull out shelves"? They kinda just look like drawers to me :confused:

There's a trend, and I think it's good, to make most shelves have pull-out drawers in them, even if they originally just had a door and some shelves inside. I've got a bunch of big deep shelves where tons of stuff ends up hiding at the back and if the whole thing could slide out for me to root around in I'd be happy.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's not a trend, it's modernity! The regular swing-open cabinets are better for kitchen hoarders like my mother-in-law with 2nd and 3rd row stacks of pots under the sink.
Huge drawers are great in bathroom sink vanities, too.

Edit: I was thinking of massive drawers, not slide-out racks. My mother-in-law has some pull-down racks for her upper cabinets that are clunky af but better than standing on a chair.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 18, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

So it's just another name for deep drawers? Or drawers in general? Or is it cabinets with doors which have drawers in?

Sorry I'm really confused about this, either I'm not understanding the terminology or it's something new to me.

Edit: is this a knock-on effect of the US/EU divide on face framed vs frameless cabinets? because that kitchen looks the same as half of every kitchen I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pull-out shelves: cabinets with doors with drawers inside that pull out. The drawers may not have particularly tall sides. Oftentimes it was originally built as a normal cabinet with a shelf and the pull-out gizmo was later purchased from Bed Bath and Beyond or the like and screwed into the existing cabinet.

Peanut just has really big drawers.

Edit: poo poo like this is a pull-out shelf:

Or even just something like this:

I've also seen it used to refer to a weird hybrid thingy with a drawer-like face that pulls out like a drawer but doesn't have sides and a bottom like a drawer, it's just open-sided shelves, or a rack, or whatever.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 17, 2017