Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

Those faces are terrifying even on my tv, christ I didn't think about vr. Speaking of, I hope I'm not the only one that finds Elite Dangerous to be absolutely terrifying in VR. Planets are big :stare:

Try jumping into a white dwarf system by accident. Seriously panic inducing.

Also "crashing" into a planet while in supercruise. The last few seconds before it emergency drops you out of SC is kind of terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Terrific Accident posted:

Got mine from Best Buy today and hell yeah it still comes with an Xbox controller until the all in one bundle comes around. I needed a new one of these.

Didn't realize it was still in stock there. Thank you.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Touchpad locomotion in GORN needed to be more immersive so I found a way to really sell it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lytMRtQyqA

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I was able to get in on the Amazon Prime day "Oculus with 100$ gift card" deal at the last minute, and the items won't ship for another couple weeks. I was initially excited, as I have been using a DK2 I picked up cheap a few months ago and loving it.

My brother also ordered one (earlier) and I've now been able to use a CV1 and... I don't seem to like it much? At least compared to the DK2. While I can definitely see a resolution increase, there are godrays everywhere . I had read about the issue and figured it was people overreacting, but it is really bad, at least on my brother's headset. It's especially bad in Elite Dangerous due to the high contrast. I've tried various fits of the headset, but can't get them down to level I consider acceptable.

Looking at them side by side it is a hard sell as to which (CV1 or DK2) I prefer. I've read that the severity of the godrays differs between headsets, is it possible my brother just got a particularly bad set?

If mine is likely to be as bad I'm thinking I may just sell the CV1 unopened and keep my DK2 through this generation. I haven't got a chance to do hand tracking of any kind, not sure if that'll change my mind or not as most of what I use VR for is flight sims and other seated experiences.

Interestingly my brother doesn't mind the godrays, but he also didn't use a DK2 as much so I wonder if I'm just spoiled.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
In my experience godrays are one of those things you'll notice immediately and then after a while you'll just subconciously stop noticing them. They're definitely present though, if it's something that you know will bother the poo poo out of you then it's a tough sell.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Face grease on the lenses makes the rays much worse, maybe your brother slimed his before you got to try it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
God rays made my stomach sink and think 'wtf oh poo poo nooooo' when I first wore a CV1, now I don't notice them. I couldn't even tell you why. They were worst in Elite as well for sure but I don't notice them now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Miles McCloud posted:

I have been using a DK2 I picked up cheap a few months ago and loving it.

I've now been able to use a CV1 and... I don't seem to like it much? At least compared to the DK2. While I can definitely see a resolution increase, there are godrays everywhere .

What are you guys talking about? Godrays, aka crepuscular rays, are a product of the game engine software.

What about the lenses is causing this effect? And what even is the effect, because its not godrays. Some kind of light bleed? bloom?

I ordered a Rift but they never sent it to me so I have a VIVE instead, but I can't imagine the CV1 being worse than the DK2, the DK2 was awful. The VIVE is like 10x better than DK2.

E: Googled around, yeah, that's bloom. Dunno why everybody is calling it godrays.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 16, 2017

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

What are you guys talking about? Godrays, aka crepuscular rays, are a product of the game engine software.

What about the lenses is causing this effect? And what even is the effect, because its not godrays. Some kind of light bleed? bloom?

No, it's hardware. It's due to the fresnel lenses the Rift uses.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

God Rays are the trade off for having clear vision when you look around the lenses, instead of it getting blurry outside of the center unfortunately. Also Elite Dangerous is basically the worst they get, theres almost nothing as bad for them as that game and most made for VR exclusively games at this point design around that so something like say robo recall for example they really are non existant, still there are some things that can help. In ED you can turn down the hud brightness in your ship, that helps some, you could also play around with different hud colours, but, yeah mirroring what others have said, I basically don't notice them anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

D1E posted:

No, it's hardware. It's due to the fresnel lenses the Rift uses.

Doesn't VIVE also have fresnel lenses? I guess they're better ones?

But calling it godrays is a confusing misnomer. Godrays are specific to light sources and light contrast and follow directional volume, this is just bloom.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 16, 2017

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Doesn't VIVE also have fresnel lenses? I guess they're better ones?

But calling it godrays is a confusing misnomer.

Quick internet search found this forums expert:

"It sounds like Oculus opted for more finely faceted Fresnel lenses, and went hybrid (contoured) to maximize the pixels used from the underlying Samsung displays. The result is a more rectangular FOV to use as much of the display area as possible. The FOV, while smaller, has a higher density of pixels in the focal area - which is why people observe less SDE. Unfortunately it seems like more Fresnel facets means it's prone to the light blooming people are reporting in very high contrast scenes.

Vive chose to use only a circular portion of the square Samsung (assumed) screens, but to magnify them more than Oculus' hybrid Fresnel lenses. The result is a larger oval FOV in each lens, but with a visible SDE due to lower pixel density in the focal area. The fewer facets of the Vive Fresnel lens also means there are visual artefacts that manifest as concentric distorted rings - although most people say they're barely noticeable when you're moving. Because the Vive lens is Fresnel, it is also prone to the light blooming rays same as the Rift. However, some users are reporting they're less obvious on the Vive due to fewer ridges in their standard Fresnel.

Despite the Rift having a measurably lower FOV than the Vive, most people who have used both report the overall FOV feels very similar, and also that SDE is very comparable between the two headsets."

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33222/why-do-we-have-fresnel-lenses

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I feel like we're all about to get told off

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

D1E posted:

Quick internet search found this forums expert:

"It sounds like Oculus opted for more finely faceted Fresnel lenses, and went hybrid (contoured) to maximize the pixels used from the underlying Samsung displays. The result is a more rectangular FOV to use as much of the display area as possible. The FOV, while smaller, has a higher density of pixels in the focal area - which is why people observe less SDE. Unfortunately it seems like more Fresnel facets means it's prone to the light blooming people are reporting in very high contrast scenes.

Vive chose to use only a circular portion of the square Samsung (assumed) screens, but to magnify them more than Oculus' hybrid Fresnel lenses. The result is a larger oval FOV in each lens, but with a visible SDE due to lower pixel density in the focal area. The fewer facets of the Vive Fresnel lens also means there are visual artefacts that manifest as concentric distorted rings - although most people say they're barely noticeable when you're moving. Because the Vive lens is Fresnel, it is also prone to the light blooming rays same as the Rift. However, some users are reporting they're less obvious on the Vive due to fewer ridges in their standard Fresnel.

Despite the Rift having a measurably lower FOV than the Vive, most people who have used both report the overall FOV feels very similar, and also that SDE is very comparable between the two headsets."

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33222/why-do-we-have-fresnel-lenses

Yeah that all makes a lot of sense. Good find. (See, this guy calls it bloom too! I'm not crazy)

Sucks for Rift owners I guess?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

peter gabriel posted:

I feel like we're all about to get told off

I've googled around and yeah, it's just facts. Don't know why everyone is calling it expert opinion.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Songbearer posted:

Touchpad locomotion in GORN needed to be more immersive so I found a way to really sell it:

took me way too long to figure out what was going on here. I like.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Songbearer posted:

This owns. Gorn since the EA update and especially since the non-garbage free-movement locomotion owns.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

How is the ReVive support for Echo Arena? I hear today is the last day of beta and I'm wondering if they solidified Vive usage or if it still feels odd for whatever reasons were stated when the game first was playable.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Gameplay is good on vive but I personally haven't been able to connect to any server for more than 10 seconds in the last week.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
They released a patch the other day that seemed to clear up the worst of it for me. You could also try asking in the discord, the devs are really responsive with troubleshooting

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that all makes a lot of sense. Good find. (See, this guy calls it bloom too! I'm not crazy)

Sucks for Rift owners I guess?

The vive gets the same thing on the transitions in the lenses. It's just not as bad as it is in the Rift, because it just shows up in thin rings as opposed to over the whole lens. I really only notice the godrays in very dark scenes with very bright white lights, which most games don't have.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DaveKap posted:

How is the ReVive support for Echo Arena? I hear today is the last day of beta and I'm wondering if they solidified Vive usage or if it still feels odd for whatever reasons were stated when the game first was playable.

From what I can see, a bunch of work has gone into making the performance better. The main problem with ReVive comes from discrepancies with head pose. There is no way to tell OpenVR that a certain scene was rendered using a specific head pose. There can be latency problems introduced by ReVive when talking to OpenVR and Oculus SDK that causes differences in perceived head poses. So the game gets a head pose from Oculus SDK, renders a scene for that, and passes it to ReVive. Which then passes it to OpenVR, but OpenVR thinks the scene was rendered using a different head pose. If the discrepancy gets too large, you get stuff like jitters.

The latest versions of ReVive have had fixes for Echo Arena performance, so try it out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
How is Fallout 4 VR supposed to work? Isn't FO4 60fps-locked because of its physics and also uses a godawful warmed-over Oblivion engine that runs like poo poo?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Paul MaudDib posted:

How is Fallout 4 VR supposed to work? Isn't FO4 60fps-locked because of its physics and also uses a godawful warmed-over Oblivion engine that runs like poo poo?

This is the million dollar question. It's Bethesda after all, just how broken is it going to be in VR?

Just how many super-mutants are going to go into 1200rpm death spirals as they sink through floors and all objects in the room fly around bouncing off walls?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I just hope it works well enough with the Oculus + Touch and that they didn't intentionally sabotage support when you use SteamVR. I know that lawsuit between Zenimax and Oculus is some serious bad blood, but don't take it out on us, guys...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

*warmed-over Skyrim engine

Which is a moderate improvement over the extremely extremely lovely gamebryo Oblivion engine (holy poo poo gamebryo is so bad) but its still really bad yeah.

They'll probably just crank the settings down and then set the computer hardware requirements pretty high. Is F4VR on PSVR? If so they'll just crank the settings down even lower.

Maybe even do something drastic like require all combat be through VATS? But probably just downgrade all the visuals to make it run as fast as possible, and then if you get bugs :shrug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm pretty sure they've said that they are totally overhauling the engine, which is why you have to buy it again instead of it just being patched into normal Fallout 4.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Honestly I'm just looking forward to the groundwork hopefully meaning the next TES game has support from the get go.

I loved you skyrim, but I'm not going to buy you and play through you yet again.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Forget VR, I'd probably be willing to pay for Fallout 4 on an engine that wasn't garbage :v:

(will you be able to play regular flat-monitor on this?)

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

TomR posted:

Face grease on the lenses makes the rays much worse, maybe your brother slimed his before you got to try it.

Hmm, this could very well be it, I'll have to try getting him to clean his lens next time and see if it makes a difference for me. I never got the "dirty lens" blur from it like when the DK2 needs to be cleaned but perhaps that shows differently on a CV1. Thanks!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zaphod42 posted:

*warmed-over Skyrim engine

Which is a moderate improvement over the extremely extremely lovely gamebryo Oblivion engine (holy poo poo gamebryo is so bad) but its still really bad yeah.

This isn't a defense of Bethesda because ~lmao~ their game engines and the engineering they do and don't do in them but to whip out 'GAMEBRYO LOL' makes you look hella dumb and extremely dated. Bethesda is bad, not 'gambryo.'

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty sure they've said that they are totally overhauling the engine, which is why you have to buy it again instead of it just being patched into normal Fallout 4.

Lots of people are super pissed that Bethesda is making everyone buy Fallout 4 VR as a separate game and not a free upgrade to the base game because the upset people are wholly ignorant of just how hard it is to VR a game even if it's built for VR right from the start.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Forget VR, I'd probably be willing to pay for Fallout 4 on an engine that wasn't garbage :v:

(will you be able to play regular flat-monitor on this?)

Not by default no, but modders have done crazier things so who knows.

I'm more curious on what Bethesda is going to attempt to do with modding. They want badly to monetize it and they keep failing. If they were going to really try for it the VR version of Fallout would be a safer place than any other ones I'd think.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

I just hope it works well enough with the Oculus + Touch and that they didn't intentionally sabotage support when you use SteamVR. I know that lawsuit between Zenimax and Oculus is some serious bad blood, but don't take it out on us, guys...

I'm pretty sure they're just shoveling out a few VR games to strengthen their lawsuit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Gamebryo is actually pretty ok and runs some decent games. Bethesda games are only gamebryo in that Bethesda bought a gamebryo license and then beat the poo poo out of the engine until there was almost nothing left.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

For what it’s worth I am able to run Skyrim Special Edition at 144 fps just fine after some .jni tweaks to the Havok physics system (via PC Gaming Wiki).

Fallout 4 doesn’t have the same fix available but maybe there is something they can port over from SSE to FO4VR to get its physics working above 60 fps. Would be great if that made it into the base Fallout 4 game somehow since it’s frustrating to play Skyrim just fine at high fps but be stuck on 60 in Fallout 4.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 17, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

This isn't a defense of Bethesda because ~lmao~ their game engines and the engineering they do and don't do in them but to whip out 'GAMEBRYO LOL' makes you look hella dumb and extremely dated. Bethesda is bad, not 'gambryo.'

I haven't worked with it but I took it on faith from someone who had that it was bad :v:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So, with all the people picking up rifts with this sale, and wondering if they need 3 sensors, can they get by with 2 sensors, how well does it track, etc, I decided to do a quick test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neMkdCdW2_0

I disconnected my 3rd sensor that was on usb 2.0, leaving my 2 sensors on 3.0 that are diagonal across from each other in the corners, about 12' apart and about 7 1/2 to 8' high. Its far from perfect, and in the places where I was blocking one sensor and the other couldn't see it either it lost tracking. I would recommend for a perfect roomscale setup, get the 3rd sensor, but honestly, I was kind of blown away how well 2 of them worked all things considered. There were a few hiccups but I didn't have a problem jumping, going around the boundary wall, crawling on my hands and knees and laying on the ground.

If you don't want to spend the money... it actually might be worth seeing how you go with 2 if you're willing to mount them in the optimal way.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Parker Lewis posted:

For what it’s worth I am able to run Skyrim Special Edition at 144 fps just fine after some .jni tweaks to the Havok physics system (via PC Gaming Wiki).

Fallout 4 doesn’t have the same fix available but maybe there is something they can port over from SSE to FO4VR to get its physics working above 60 fps. Would be great if that made it into the base Fallout 4 game somehow since it’s frustrating to play Skyrim just fine at high fps but be stuck on 60 in Fallout 4.

I've been playing a bit of FO4 on my 144hz gsync monitor recently. I had to edit the ini manually to unlock the frame rate, and I have to quick save before using terminals because I very occasionally get stuck in them, but beyond that it's perfectly playable.

Granted, the engine shouldn't be tied to frame rate and you shouldn't have to manually edit files to get it working, but it does work.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Tom Guycot posted:

So, with all the people picking up rifts with this sale, and wondering if they need 3 sensors, can they get by with 2 sensors, how well does it track, etc, I decided to do a quick test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neMkdCdW2_0

I disconnected my 3rd sensor that was on usb 2.0, leaving my 2 sensors on 3.0 that are diagonal across from each other in the corners, about 12' apart and about 7 1/2 to 8' high. Its far from perfect, and in the places where I was blocking one sensor and the other couldn't see it either it lost tracking. I would recommend for a perfect roomscale setup, get the 3rd sensor, but honestly, I was kind of blown away how well 2 of them worked all things considered. There were a few hiccups but I didn't have a problem jumping, going around the boundary wall, crawling on my hands and knees and laying on the ground.

If you don't want to spend the money... it actually might be worth seeing how you go with 2 if you're willing to mount them in the optimal way.

I only have a 6x6 area to play so I tried out the opposing corners with 2 sensors and it works great. Played some Superhot last night with that setup and had no issues.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Nice. I had two for a while and it was okay, but for some reason once I switched to three it felt significantly more stable, even in places that the two sensors could have theoretically tracked. Right now after three sensors, getting my f.lux issue fixed and the past year's patches from Oculus, my tracking feels almost perfect and is probably as good as it's ever performed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

D1E posted:

Probably a dumb question, but I would like confirmation before placing an order: has anyone in the U.S. purchased from VR Lens Lab?

https://vr-lens-lab.com/

Prices on the website are UK, and the FAQ doesn't specify. Thanks!

I think this got buried, but yes I've purchased lens adapters from these guys. I kickstarted the original project, and got inserts for my Vive. The prices are in EUR, but my US paypal account had no problem converting it.

Last week I ordered a set for my Rift, as I simply cannot play without them. Glasses + VR is poo poo. It's awful and you can never get a perfect image in the HMD because your glasses will never quite sit right.