Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
What's the attack soft cap now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Snazzy Frocks posted:

What's the attack soft cap now?
806. (Or 805 depending on how exactly you define a soft cap, as 8051.3 ≈ 5991 while 8061.3 ≈ 6001.) And so far as I can tell it hasn't yet been raised beyond that in JP, so we'll be using that value for a while.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Decided to try one more time for Rikku's USB, went 3/11 with Warrior Gloves, Rikku's Dagger #2, and Paine's Guise. At least Paine has some options if I'd ever decide to use her. :shrug:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

And I dollar draw into Tidus BSB. Sometimes I look back in wonder that I ever thought my Global account was bad and/or cursed.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Decided to try one more time for Rikku's USB, went 3/11 with Warrior Gloves, Rikku's Dagger #2, and Paine's Guise. At least Paine has some options if I'd ever decide to use her. :shrug:
I felt the same, went half myth half gems as one last shot for rikku usb.

Neither is a dupe.

Robe is a lot more welcome since I got Lulu's USB. She goes from a level 1 afterthought to one of my best mages, especially against ice weaknesses.

The shield is my best FFX melee armor. Beyond that it doesn't seem great. I think I'd be more likely to give rikku a dancer or thief abilities than machinist.

Oh well, she's got that plus her BSB, she's a pretty versatile option.

I'm done. No USB, but 5 different items off banner one work for me.

100 gem hit a 5 star on banner 2: dupe chaos rod.

Just my loving luck. My only banner 2 dupe, and I already have like 5 magic/mind staves for this realm.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

LornMarkus posted:

And I dollar draw into Tidus BSB. Sometimes I look back in wonder that I ever thought my Global account was bad and/or cursed.

Whattup "Titus BSB on the hundo" buddy

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pander posted:

I felt the same, went half myth half gems as one last shot for rikku usb.

Neither is a dupe.

Robe is a lot more welcome since I got Lulu's USB. She goes from a level 1 afterthought to one of my best mages, especially against ice weaknesses.

The shield is my best FFX melee armor. Beyond that it doesn't seem great. I think I'd be more likely to give rikku a dancer or thief abilities than machinist.

Oh well, she's got that plus her BSB, she's a pretty versatile option.

I'm done. No USB, but 5 different items off banner one work for me.

100 gem hit a 5 star on banner 2: dupe chaos rod.

Just my loving luck. My only banner 2 dupe, and I already have like 5 magic/mind staves for this realm.

Her BSB commands are Machinist tagged, so they just got a whole lot better.

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
After like 20 dollar draws i finally get something higher then a 4 star and its Kimahri's twin lance. Eeehhhh...
Cant get too upset because I raged pulled on FF14 banner before it left and got Papy's OSB to go with his BSB i got the previous pull! My first en-element SB > OSB combo!!

Also I only just realised after months of using what I thought was Ace Striker, I actually read the materia I'm equipping and it's High Scorer and now suddenly I'm having a much easier time smashing out these apocalypse fights with 2 people making GBS threads out SBs. Game is fun again.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Got Auron's LM for a buck which is nice, though I don't really see myself using him given all I got is his SSB.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 17, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Servaetes posted:

Got Auron's LM for a buck which is nice, though I don't really see myself using him given all I got is his SSB.

I really hate LMs for this reason. They're basically duds if you've got weak or no SBs for that character.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Fister Roboto posted:

I really hate LMs for this reason. They're basically duds if you've got weak or no SBs for that character.

How is that different from outdated SBs you'll never use?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, the big difference is that LMs are new, relevant things and not outdated.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

LMs are also pretty much future-proof, while old SBs aren't. LMs only get better, while old SBs only get worse. Yeah, you may not have any SBs for a character you just pulled an LMR for, but A) that may not that big a deal (there are several LMR types which work quite well even without SBs, at least for CM purposes), and B) you'll probably get one for them eventually just from Lucky Draws, etc. Having a random SB or SSB instead of that LMR looks a lot worse when you get something you actually want to spend your SB gauge on.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

They're good as modern stat-sticks with all sorts of useful boosts and stats to them. I'm not upset about my two Celes' Cloaks that are pointless for a SB-less Celes but are still Light Armor that boost Holy damage. Value LMs for their usefulness as items moreso than their usefulness as LMs.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
So which FFX banner should I make my first pull on? My team still isn't super diverse, so it's basically a grab bag of things I could use.

I'm leaning towards 2 because Auron's USB looks really amazing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Siphon the trash, WoL Chain, Thunder God the boss. Repeat.

Up to 142 stamina, a couple hundred story missions to go. :suicide:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ceaselessfuture posted:

So which FFX banner should I make my first pull on? My team still isn't super diverse, so it's basically a grab bag of things I could use.

Banner 1 has a game defining item, especially if you don't have Shout/Vessel of Fate at al.

Banner 2 is mostly garbage. Auron's USB is thoroughly mediocre.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ceaselessfuture posted:

Either has its hits and misses.

Banner 1: Rikku's USB is basically The Ultimate Buff PackageTM and changes her from "versatile support unit" to "best supporter in the game". Lulu's USB is solid damage on its own, but with an Entrust character barfing gauge into her, it turns her into probably the best magical ice-based burst DPS. Lulu's BSB is good for weakness-changing bosses, but lacks punch past that. Rikku's BSB is solid for water teams or if you draw her LMR (also on this banner).

On the flipside, Jecht's relics are kind of a wet fart, Auron's SSB is a good SSB but it's on an ancient statstick (so it's gonna underperform compared to the rest of the stuff there, Attack-wise), and Paine just sort of exists.

Banner 2: Auron's USB is great (especially in the sense that lifesiphonable MBlink is huge, and it packs a stacking debuff with it), and Tidus LMR is absurd if you have his OSB (or simply "really good" otherwise, like Auron LMR is). On the downside, Kimahri SSB is dated, Braska's robe assumes you already have a hastega and Chaos Rod shows up on literally every festival, ever. Also, Wakka is Wakka so even if the USB is a good SB (pentabreak + imperil), he's still Wakka and that makes the relic actually worse.

If you're new enough to the game, none of these are actually bad to pull. For old-timers, though, a lot of this stuff is a bit dusty and not as appealing as what we're getting in other banners.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Perfect, thanks! I'll probably save up for the upcoming FF8 banner then I think. Interested in getting Squall's BSB.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

BGrifter posted:

Up to 142 stamina, a couple hundred story missions to go. :suicide:

Just think of all the easy mythril you're getting. You'll miss it one day. :unsmith:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Attestant posted:

Just think of all the easy mythril you're getting. You'll miss it one day. :unsmith:

Oh yeah, I'm up to 115 already after being broke post-Orbfest/Cloud's banner. It's just super tedious. Still totally worth it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ceaselessfuture posted:

Perfect, thanks! I'll probably save up for the upcoming FF8 banner then I think. Interested in getting Squall's BSB.

Speaking of, i got squalls BSB2 a while back and people hyped it up but i feel like i dont...get it? By the time i generate 3 draw and junctions the burst is basically over. How can i get the most of it?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Speaking of, i got squalls BSB2 a while back and people hyped it up but i feel like i dont...get it? By the time i generate 3 draw and junctions the burst is basically over. How can i get the most of it?

Try 2 draws and two CMD2s instead. People with AoE powerchain SB effects (Ramza USB, Relm USB, Raijin SSB) help a lot. Having TG Cid mode (from either a RW TGCid OSB or his Lv99 RM) also helps a lot. Doublecast Spellblade procs help most of all, so diving his legend sphere is actually pretty important (his LM2 is a 35% doublecast proc)

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 17, 2017

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you're timing everything properly and playing on battle speed 1 you should be able to squeeze in CMD1 three times and then CMD2 twice.

After I finish my full LM dive with him though, I'm thinking TG Cid's RM is going to be stapled to him permanently. :getin:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

ceaselessfuture posted:

Squall's BSB is good, but the second FF8 banner has almost all top tier stuff. I'd definitely recommend pulling on it too.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

holy poo poo this MP fight throws out an absurd amount of damage.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

holy poo poo this MP fight throws out an absurd amount of damage.

The trick appears to be throwing a dancer in, instead of a supportbot. Desperado is an Ultimate Dispel, so you want to do as little damage to Mortibody as possible (it only starts using it at >50% HP) but you also want to breakdown it because it turns out that it still does 3000 damage, AoE, every turn if you don't keep it debuffed.

An alternate suggestion is stoplocking it.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

KataraniSword posted:

The trick appears to be throwing a dancer in, instead of a supportbot. Desperado is an Ultimate Dispel, so you want to do as little damage to Mortibody as possible (it only starts using it at >50% HP) but you also want to breakdown it because it turns out that it still does 3000 damage, AoE, every turn if you don't keep it debuffed.

An alternate suggestion is stoplocking it.

Stoplocking is easy and fun, I just gave Mog the stop dance and Mortibody was not an issue. Beyond that you can debuff Seymour pretty badly, three or four MAG debuffs and he's barely going to crack 4 digits even in his weak phase. JS Seymour looks a little harder, or maybe I'm just too lazy tonight to set up a party that covers all the elemental bases.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MikeSevigny posted:

Stoplocking is easy and fun, I just gave Mog the stop dance and Mortibody was not an issue. Beyond that you can debuff Seymour pretty badly, three or four MAG debuffs and he's barely going to crack 4 digits even in his weak phase. JS Seymour looks a little harder, or maybe I'm just too lazy tonight to set up a party that covers all the elemental bases.

If you've got a solid mage team (and native Wall, of course), consider RWing Vivi BSB2 or, if you can't find one, Shantotto/Matoya/Palom/Lulu BSBs. Turns out tri-elemental wrecks three out of his four states.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The problem is (as always) dipshit pubbies bringing nothing but AoE blitzing down the mortibody immediately and keeping it under 50% for the entire fight.

edit: Also the Apoc is fuckin' nuts even with stoplock, you still need a ton of mitigation because Seymour starts throwing around 3 actions per turn at the end and they all do like 3k damage through Wall + Shell, and half of them are AoE. I'll probably try another time or two tomorrow but after that I just might not bother, I really don't need any more 4* dex motes for the forseeable future and it's one of those fights where everything goes smoothly for 80% of the fight and then explodes into a million pieces at the finish line because of a horrendous weak phase, which are my absolute least favorite fight designs. Might just not be worth the frustration.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 17, 2017

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

MikeSevigny posted:

JS Seymour is relatively easy if you have any version of Grand Cross, it absorbs all of his Chain-gas which makes the only dangerous attack his Ultimas.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Cador_2004 posted:

JS Seymour is relatively easy if you have any version of Grand Cross, it absorbs all of his Chain-gas which makes the only dangerous attack his Ultimas.
How much should I care about his Ultimas and dispels beyond "it's annoying to be recasting Haste a bunch", since I do have Yuna's BSB to spam AoE healing with? Inversely, how long does it take him to transition between weaknesses? I've got a decent collection of tools for hitting his various weaknesses like Shantotto BSB and Grand Cross with a "standard" party, or I could just wait out the phase transitions until he gets to water and then blast him with Paine's heavily boosted enwater SSB. (Despite having no chain or appropriate water-buffing gear I can still get to around 190K damage per blast with Cloud USB.)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

MP was trivial with Vann BSB + Penelo USB w/ the stop dance.

Seymour did hardly any damage between 3 different breaks (someone else's Ramza brought full break) and by the time I ran out of dances I had 3 bars of USBs ready to instant cast immediately after Morti did anything.

StriderVM
Aug 23, 2013
Consider me a noob (And not really planning in going to the best meta) so I apologize for the numerous questions :

1. If I just wanted to use FF4 characters, how much can I finish in the end until I hit a challenge too difficult without the "meta" units?

2. In regards to #1, should I draw now in one of the banners, or wait for a FF4 specific baner?

3. If I wanted the best skills, what should I aim for in order to finish all normal realm dungeons?

4. Is there (After two years) still no normal (Non soul break) heal skill that heals the whole party?

My current account : https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/GvrW

StriderVM fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 17, 2017

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I just went ahead and full legend dived Vaan. I then took on Seymour Apoc+ stacking as much damage LM/RM as possible and made sure he was using a dagger. With all that, his BSB and Thief's Revenge does some freaking nutso damage under the effect of Cloud's USB. Breaking the damage cap with Mug Bloodlust was also neat. I must have done well over 200k damage with Vaan alone, and he was my primary damage mitigator as well! poo poo's broken and I love it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Banner 2: Auron's USB is great (especially in the sense that lifesiphonable MBlink is huge, and it packs a stacking debuff with it), and Tidus LMR is absurd if you have his OSB (or simply "really good" otherwise, like Auron LMR is). On the downside, Kimahri SSB is dated, Braska's robe assumes you already have a hastega and Chaos Rod shows up on literally every festival, ever. Also, Wakka is Wakka so even if the USB is a good SB (pentabreak + imperil), he's still Wakka and that makes the relic actually worse.

If you're new enough to the game, none of these are actually bad to pull. For old-timers, though, a lot of this stuff is a bit dusty and not as appealing as what we're getting in other banners.

Honestly, while Wakka's stats are pretty bad, he's not really super dire. Throwing/Bow access means he should always be able to sit in the back row (and even if you're without synergy, let's face it you're not bringing him for damage). He also gets Sharpshooter 5 if you suddenly really want to use Sapphire Shot to make use of the imperil.

He's arguably almost 100% outclassed by Fran, but I think he's still slightly better than Barret.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

StriderVM posted:

Consider me a noob (And not really planning in going to the best meta) so I apologize for the numerous questions :

1. If I just wanted to use FF4 characters, how much can I finish in the end until I hit a challenge too difficult without the "meta" units?

2. In regards to #1, should I draw now in one of the banners, or wait for a FF4 specific baner?

3. If I wanted the best skills, what should I aim for in order to finish all normal realm dungeons?

4. Is there (After two years) still no normal (Non soul break) heal skill that heals the whole party?

My current account : https://www.ffrkcentral.com/profile/GvrW

1. You can do all realms without even a single soul break with good enough ability hones. If you have a kickass FF4 team, all the better. Just pick the right RW for the fight in the upper levels.
2. The upcoming FF4 banner is going to be fantastic, so hold your mithril until then. Again, this is assuming you want to use only FF4 characters.
3. Assuming for FF4 characters only? Full Break should be a priority among 5* skills. The breakdowns will also be useful and are just 4* so could be easier to get for now. You have Shellga at R2, so that's good, and now need R2 Protectga. I would focus on Curaja for now, with Ultra Cure as a nice sub-in later. Past that, see what soul breaks you get on the FF4 pulls and who you want on your team the most, then get the skills that will work best with them. Since there are some traps, maybe jump in here to ask about specific abilities and if they are outdated. We'll be getting a major upgrade to a lot of abilities in about 6 months which could change the effectiveness of some.
4. No group direct heal, no. That's purely the realm of soul breaks. The closest we have is that 5* bard ability that gives everyone major regen.

EDIT: I should mention that if you want to do events, #1 does not apply. You will hit a wall without soul breaks at some point, though I'm not quite sure where. Probably either at 180 or 200 difficulty.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

paperwind posted:

I just went ahead and full legend dived Vaan. I then took on Seymour Apoc+ stacking as much damage LM/RM as possible and made sure he was using a dagger. With all that, his BSB and Thief's Revenge does some freaking nutso damage under the effect of Cloud's USB. Breaking the damage cap with Mug Bloodlust was also neat. I must have done well over 200k damage with Vaan alone, and he was my primary damage mitigator as well! poo poo's broken and I love it.

I find Vaan + BSB is actually a really good candidate for Cloud RW. His DPS is pretty crazy normally but it's all 1 hit so it caps too easily. Remember that Mug Bloodlust, BSB entry, and BSB command 2 all have STACKING defense debuffs. Mug Bloodlust buffs his attack on top of that.

The numbers you'll see won't seem that impressive but his BSB skills also cast extremely quickly so you'll be getting multiple attacks in before Cloud USB expires. His BSB entry also does a lot of damage with all those buffs/debuffs up

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

NGDBSS posted:

How much should I care about his Ultimas and dispels beyond "it's annoying to be recasting Haste a bunch", since I do have Yuna's BSB to spam AoE healing with? Inversely, how long does it take him to transition between weaknesses? I've got a decent collection of tools for hitting his various weaknesses like Shantotto BSB and Grand Cross with a "standard" party, or I could just wait out the phase transitions until he gets to water and then blast him with Paine's heavily boosted enwater SSB. (Despite having no chain or appropriate water-buffing gear I can still get to around 190K damage per blast with Cloud USB.)

I didn't see any rhyme or reason with the transition timings but it was fire ice water lit repeat all the time.

I only did A+ but the dispel was super annoying. I tried to hit him with Thunder God when weak but he always screwed me over with dispelling haste and ruining my timing. In hindsight I should've brought OK instead of TGCid to double up on hastegas and ignored the rotation mechanic by spamming NE damage. Besides TG I also got a lot of resisted spellblades due to unexpected rotations.

Definitely get Wall. He will do Dispel-Ultima that will wipe you out without it.

My team was Vaan BSB,Celes IB,TGCid OSB, Ysh BSB,Ramza SSB1 rw wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I didn't see any rhyme or reason with the transition timings but it was fire ice water lit repeat all the time.

It's every 6 times you damage him with anything, including Soul Breaks. One strat is to damage him 5 times and then wait for the transition to a new element as it resets the count.

• Locked thread