Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Le Saboteur posted:

It bums me out that Beric is a main character now only because they didn't want to bring back Catelyn for some reason.

Beric's cool and who cares about Lady Stoneheart, she obviously never accomplished anything or they would have kept her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I have to confess, I liked that episode and I don't get why folks think the show is going downhill.

I thought it was a good episode. Everyone's just so drat negative, this isn't the Walking Dead

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I miss Victarion and how he was sad about brutally beating his wife to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3ENAiRMJaE

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I miss Victarion and how he was sad about brutally beating his wife to death.

And how casually racist and homophobic he was that her burned a bunch of boy prostitutes to death.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The show's diverging radically from the books now, but the whole sequence with Sam was quintessentially Gurmy. The poop, the revelation that the maesters beileved Sam but didn't care, etc.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It makes me happy that Beric is a main character now because that Zombie Cat story was dumb.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Season 5 and Dorne were so bad that I completely understand the "everything is awful" reaction. But I liked Season 6 apart from some dumber bits in the Arya plotline

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

EatinCake posted:

In the books is there enough more Arya story to show if the Faceless dudes are after her at all? Seems like she's abusing the powers they taught her and that'd lead to some sorta retribution.

If she DOES get to finally kill Cersei instead of someone else doing it, I could see Arya dying via the faceless men shortly after. She gets her vengeance that she wanted, but pays the price for it. Also, she could kill Cersei with Jaime's face which could be the reason Maggie the Frog said her own brother would kill her. It'd all fit nicely, sorta.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Constant posted:

Euron is a cartoon to me
He's bad, that throne room scene was a major weak point in the episode.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
"hey, you know how the books have these crazy reaver pirate characters that practically jump out of a Swedish heavy metal album? Let's condense them to one, then we'll get a dead ringer for Pacey from Dawson's Creek to play him and just have him smirk and mug for the camera."

this year, Dave Hill, yadda yadda yadda

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

InFlames235 posted:

IMO it'd be worse to bring her back and have her character do nothing meaningful at all. Might as well just keep Beric with his flaming sword.

Revenge Zombie Catelyn as a character is not interesting because Revenge Zombie, but what could be interesting is the interaction other characters could potentially get with her.

For instance, she could come across Sansa and see her with Littlefinger and feel betrayed and plan to kill her. Arya comes across Catelyn trying to kill Sansa and realizes that revenge is bad and she was heading down that same path and have to mercy kill Catelyn to save Sansa.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lycus posted:

It makes me happy that Beric is a main character now because that Zombie Cat story was dumb.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The show's diverging radically from the books now, but the whole sequence with Sam was quintessentially Gurmy. The poop, the revelation that the maesters beileved Sam but didn't care, etc.

Seriously, there is so much feces in the books, that Sam montage should filled purists with warmth and familiarity

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I have to confess, I liked that episode and I don't get why folks think the show is going downhill.

We're well past the lowest point of the series (season 5) and the show has stabilized above that, but there's still a marked difference in quality after season 4. It's clear that they're basically ticking plot points off a checklist and cutting everything that isn't related to the Dany, Jon (and the North), Tyrion/Lannister storylines.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kromlech posted:

The person I was with said "He looks like a punk rock star" and well, they weren't wrong.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I also like the dynamic with the Hound and the Brotherhood where he talks endless sour poo poo on them but they're so good-natured and patient it always just rolls off.

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

InFlames235 posted:

Also, she could kill Cersei with Jaime's face which could be the reason Maggie the Frog said her own brother would kill her. It'd all fit nicely, sorta.
This is a good theory but wouldn't Jamie already need to be dead for that?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

InFlames235 posted:

IMO it'd be worse to bring her back and have her character do nothing meaningful at all. Might as well just keep Beric with his flaming sword.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Beric's cool and who cares about Lady Stoneheart, she obviously never accomplished anything or they would have kept her.

Bullshit. All those Freys could have and should have been slowly killed by her over the last two seasons rather than have them all killed in a 3 minute throwaway nothing scene. Non-book readers would have loving loved that poo poo. Especially in Season 5 when there wasn't much happening that people liked. Lady Stoneheart killing Freys would have been a lot of people's second favorite part of Season 5 after Hardhome had it happened.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I actually find Sams story the most compelling right now because it feels kind of new I guess. But I don't know what's going to come of it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like show Euron, he's completely different to how I always pictured him but still seems right for the role somehow.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also Arya isn't going to kill Cersei. Jaime is.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Kromlech posted:

That's what happens when Daario doesn't listen to Dany. (You know Benioff and Weiss would do this)

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
One of multiple reasons Stannis was lame: He never sat on that dope throne at Dragonstone.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

I actually find Sams story the most compelling right now because it feels kind of new I guess. But I don't know what's going to come of it.

He's going to find the Philosophers' Stone.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

some guy on the bus posted:

Bullshit. All those Freys could have and should have been slowly killed by her over the last two seasons rather than have them all killed in a 3 minute throwaway nothing scene. Non-book readers would have loving loved that poo poo. Especially in Season 5 when there wasn't much happening that people liked. Lady Stoneheart killing Freys would have been a lot of people's second favorite part of Season 5 after Hardhome had it happened.

Personally what I find most upsetting about the removal of the Lady Stoneheart arc is that she dies truly believing that all her children are dead and that Ned cheated on her. At least in Revenge Zombie mode she gets to find out that both Sansa and Arya are still alive.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Lycus posted:

Seriously, there is so much feces in the books

wrong

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The way the show did it was plenty emotionally satisfying. There's also enough stuff going on that we don't need to agonizingly, Gurmily draw out that particular revenge story. Plus it lets Arya be the sole agent of the Starks' revenge which is cool.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
All the Freys dying kind of reminded me of the Sand Snakes murdering all the Martells where it was like kind of too obvious that the show was going "ok let's just get rid of these plot points as cleanly as possible"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"as cleanly as possible"

Benioff and Weiss clearly have a different understanding of this concept. The Dorne coupe was cartoonishly hilarious.

I feel so bad for Hotah and his sexy spear wife.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The way the show did it was plenty emotionally satisfying.

You think so? How? It was too late, it was a cold open, and they died quickly in a matter of seconds without even knowing why.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The show's pretty much trolling book readers with info dumps in the context of moving pictures.

Freys all die.

Zombies march on the wall.

Jon forts the wall with wildlings.

Various factions team up.

Shits going down.

Next book never coming out.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 17, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sure glad they decided to have so many shots of poop during the Sam montage

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also I was kind of sad that Euron immediately left because Kings Landing seems to have like three people in it right now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

You think so? How? It was too late, it was a cold open, and they died quickly in a matter of seconds without even knowing why.

They all died choking on their own blood and Arya gave a speech about why that also reminded you of exactly what they did. It didn't happen much faster than the Red Wedding itself did. Plus these were all nameless bannermen anyway, Big Papa Frey got his own separate more drawn out comeuppance. Lady Stoneheart would have just been vignettes about killing various ugly but innocent Frey kids, what's emotionally satisfying about that?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also I was kind of sad that Euron immediately left because Kings Landing seems to have like three people in it right now.

Another reason why killing Ros so early on was a bad idea. How are we gonna get Littlefinger's Pimp House gratuitous sexposition this season?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Euron giving Cerci the horn would actually be a nice little twist. Legend has it that whoever blows the horn can control dragons, so she takes it and marries him thinking that she'll get some new pets, then she blows it and dies and he becomes king.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

lezard_valeth posted:

Another reason why killing Ros so early on was a bad idea. How are we gonna get Littlefinger's Pimp House gratuitous sexposition this season?

He's moving on up to Girls Gone Wildling

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I was on team euron before tonight and this ep cemented that he's the only guy worthy of a crown now

also what's the arya killing a white harbor girl thing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Though you're right that it was late, but it was gonna be late no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Plus these were all nameless bannermen anyway,

Nah, these were all his potential heirs.

• Locked thread