Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it just occurred to me that everyone that develops android is running Linux desktops. they literally don't know what a good UI is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

it just occurred to me that everyone that develops android is running Linux desktops. they literally don't know what a good UI is.

can't you do it on windows or macos too? 'cause android is just java and the emuilator is qemu?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

please occur something while sober for a change

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

can't you do it on windows or macos too? 'cause android is just java and the emuilator is qemu?

yes, you can develop for android literally however you want, just because apple tries to hamstring ios development to mac os doesnt mean little linux is tethered to big linux

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

please don't let the average windows developer anywhere near my phone, thanks

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

carry on then posted:

please don't let the average windows developer anywhere near my phone, thanks

no problem. we'll only let the bad ones touch it, friend.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yes. what I mean is that inside google they're all literally running linux

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

what OS is running on the average desktop at google?

EDIT: oh

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

from what i recall, google uses a mix of linux and macos (though probably biased to the former), with windows limited only to people working directly on windows projects

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

husband is overseas for two weeks

end of week 1 and his nexus 5x bricks itself, apparently lucky goldstar are aware of the issue and taking returns

dont get stuck with an anroid

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

end of week 1 and his nexus 5x bricks itself, apparently lucky goldstar are aware of the issue and taking returns

just take it to the anroid store where your global warranty covers replacements, problem solved

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Management posted:

yes. what I mean is that inside google they're all literally running linux

typical setup is a mac laptop and a linux desktop. the latter is because there arent any mac desktops anymore

windows is effectively banned unless you have a specific reason to have it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

seems like a good policy. my previous employers were ripe with random ware each time a new type turned up. all sales staff and two thirds technical staff were locked out each time. one time a shared drive was infected and every pc had to be reimaged. in a 1200 man office and the overseas branches

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol @ using "shared drives" in the 21st century

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

There was a class action law suit about this but it got moved to arbitration, lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Blue Train posted:

There was a class action law suit about this but it got moved to arbitration, lol

buyer beware

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/_asvsa_/status/886690237505835008

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
blïkken blårken blöken blëgen

edit: Anroid is an OS literally meant to protect and extend Google's search/ad revenue. figures HTC would try to get in on it.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jul 17, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

to surprise of noone, new note 7 is old note 7 with smaller battery

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

but is it less volatile?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

but is it less volatile?

at the very least the explosion will be smaller

technically should be less volatile since the primary issue stemmed from maximising capacity

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

um it was just a mistake. no idea how they did it!

https://twitter.com/HTC_UK/status/886867878594699264

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

um it was just a mistake. no idea how they did it!

https://twitter.com/HTC_UK/status/886867878594699264

cat accidentally stepped on out build server

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

the error was subsequently fired

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
accidentally wrote the code to display ads in the keyboard. then our QA department accidentally didn't notice the ads. also we're accidentally sending everything you type to our ad servers, so your passwords are accidentally stored there

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oh wow it gets better

so, htc doesn't actually develop their own keyboard, and instead include third-party keyboard touchpal. apparently touchpal "accidentally" sent an update to include ads that "mistakenly" went to htc phones which are supposed to have the ad-free version

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

oh wow it gets better

so, htc doesn't actually develop their own keyboard, and instead include third-party keyboard touchpal. apparently touchpal "accidentally" sent an update to include ads that "mistakenly" went to htc phones which are supposed to have the ad-free version

:eyepoop:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Endless Mike posted:

oh wow it gets better

andoird, lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

oh wow it gets better

who is getting paid for the ads? I guarantee it isn't touchpal

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

why does HTC even need to ship a keyboard? doesn't android come with a default one

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

oh wow it gets better

lol

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
see, uh, one of our programmers was having a wicked huge j/o session and slapped his salami off the keyboard while shoving the wide end of the mouse up his rear end, and somehow that resulted in some code that changed your background to a full-page Denny's $5.99 Grand Slam ad. sory.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Cerv posted:

why does HTC even need to ship a keyboard? doesn't android come with a default one

yes, but that doesn't Add Value

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cerv posted:

it does, but this is htc. non google anroids like to bootstrap their poo poo on top of android core

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cerv posted:

there's a 100% chance they are being paid to do so.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

reminds me of all the bottom barrel windows shitboxes that came with free trials of norton and office and loving zone alarm

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

carry on then posted:

reminds me of all the bottom barrel windows shitboxes that came with free trials of norton and office and loving zone alarm

I worked for zone labs 2005ish and I think the average payment to get presintalled was like $3 million for lenovo up to $15 million for dell and that was for a single product line

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ripoff posted:

see, uh, one of our programmers was having a wicked huge j/o session and slapped his salami off the keyboard while shoving the wide end of the mouse up his rear end, and somehow that resulted in some code that changed your background to a full-page Denny's $5.99 Grand Slam ad. sory.

i choose to believe this is what happened.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh hey i didn't know google was replacing their fugly blob emoji with a new set

not
at
this
distance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
heres hoping some helpful autist can make a thing to restore the beautiful blob folks.