Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
But don't you all love how woke the show is when they extended the draft in the North to females?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GaussianCopula posted:

Oh and while Jaime for some reason is concerned with feeding their army while in King's Landing, Dany can just land on a bleak island worth nothing and her presumably starving army is fine with that.

I mean, I'd assume they brought provisions.

GaussianCopula posted:

But don't you all love how woke the show is when they extended the draft in the North to females?

Jon learned it from the free folk. He's bringing their culture south in more ways than one.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

the guy forgot to record the weight of the heart

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What was the name of the rear end in a top hat bard who went with Sam to Oldtown and got killed? He wasn't in the show.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WampaLord posted:

I'm not sure why exactly Ed at the Wall doubted that Bran was who he said he was, why would they lie about that?

Well if you're Ned Stark's son you'd probably get better treatment than if you're some rando northern refugee.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Was "my mother always told me to be kind to strangers - and strangers will be kind to you" part of The Implication?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Were y'all getting rapey vibes off that scene? I didn't get that at all

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Theory: Dany broke in dragon stone by taking a long runny dump

Muroface
Mar 13, 2008

Spirit Fingers!

plainswalker75 posted:

Didn't Stannis literally tell Sam directly there was dragonglass at Dragonstone?

yea this happened, sam already should've known

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Well the show's kind of conditioned you to think of that but otherwise no, definite vibes that they were horny for her but not that they were gonna try and rape her.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, kinda. It was surprising when they were nice to her. I don't think the show is implying that she kills them after they wine and dine her though; I don't know where some of y'all are getting that bit.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

By the way it's really cool that Clegane was touched by fire and hates it yet he's a fire seer. A lot more interesting than him losing whatever battle he lost in the books and never appearing again except in an easter egg as a monk.

Unless the books have cleganebowl, then I forgive GRRM for everything ever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah, kinda. It was surprising when they were nice to her. I don't think the show is implying that she kills them after they wine and dine her though; I don't know where some of y'all are getting that bit.

But seriously what's the over/under that after Arya finally kills the shmucks, a raven plops down on that one dude's head and there's a long drawn out scene of Arya reaching out with shaking hands to grab the note, and reading a letter from the guy's wife saying the baby is a girl?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Nah I think that other poster was right that their conversation about being homesick will spur her to go back to Winterfell. She won't kill them unless there's a scene where they realize she's a northerner and hold it against her.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Nah I think that other poster was right that their conversation about being homesick will spur her to go back to Winterfell. She won't kill them unless there's a scene where they realize she's a northerner and hold it against her.

I'm hoping that's what happens and she doesn't just go to King's Landing and gently caress up. She can't kill Cersei since she's not the valonqar.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WampaLord posted:

"They" meaning people who had lived there or otherwise known that info about the castle. Sam, who has never been to Dragonstone before, did not know before he saw the info in the book.

Stannis knew there was Dragonglass mines, he just didn't give a gently caress.

plainswalker75 posted:

Didn't Stannis literally tell Sam directly there was dragonglass at Dragonstone?

yea Sam says "oh right Stannis told me about this lol"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

yea Sam says "oh right Stannis told me about this lol"

I didn't think it was 'portant

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

PostNouveau posted:

The reason I think she's going to murder them is because - as a goon mentioned several pages back - her story is very nicely paralleled with the Hound's right now. Clegane and Arya were accepted into that dude's house way back in season four and given hospitality, which Clegane then abused by robbing them and leaving them for dead, which at the time Arya heavily criticized him for. Meanwhile this episode she just murdered the entire Frey family and castigated them for violating the law of hospitality, and has now been accepted fireside and offered food/drink by the Lannister soldiers. Clegane showing remorse for his actions - to the point that he went out at night during a blizzard to bury the bodies and offer a prayer - shows how much his character has grown. Conversely if Arya kills these guys - and thus breaks breaks those same laws of hospitality she holds so sacred - it shows how far she's falling in her quest for revenge.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

For the world's greatest spy and assassin, Arya isn't very smooth. But will that really lead to her having to kill those dudes?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

The reason I think she's going to murder them is because - as a goon mentioned several pages back - her story is very nicely paralleled with the Hound's right now. Clegane and Arya were accepted into that dude's house way back in season four and given hospitality, which Clegane then abused by robbing them and leaving them for dead, which at the time Arya heavily criticized him for. Meanwhile this episode she just murdered the entire Frey family and castigated them for violating the law of hospitality, and has now been accepted fireside and offered food/drink by the Lannister soldiers. Clegane showing remorse for his actions - to the point that he went out at night during a blizzard to bury the bodies and offer a prayer - shows how much his character has grown. Conversely if Arya kills these guys - and thus breaks breaks those same laws of hospitality she holds so sacred - it shows how far she's falling in her quest for revenge.

How's killing some random mooks part of her quest for revenge though?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

PostNouveau posted:

How's killing some random mooks part of her quest for revenge though?

They're Lannister soldiers. I admit it's tenuous, but the show went out of its way to let us know via their outfits that she ran into Lannister men, not just some random bandits or northerners or something. Presumably it's significant.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Sydin posted:

The problem here is that Arya, while a killer, has the Stark justice mentality. She falls out from the House of Black and White because she was ultimately unwilling to kill the actress. She has no qualms killing those responsible for killing her famiy or those who are actively trying to kill her, but she hasn't completely lost character and become a cartoon villain death machine or anything. Like the only real exception I can think of is the stableboy in King's Landing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The problem here is that Arya, while a killer, has the Stark justice mentality. She falls out from the House of Black and White because she was ultimately unwilling to kill the actress. She has no qualms killing those responsible for killing her famiy or those who are actively trying to kill her, but she hasn't completely lost character and become a cartoon villain death machine or anything. Like the only real exception I can think of is the stableboy in King's Landing.

Why'd she kill him?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

They're Lannister soldiers. I admit it's tenuous, but the show went out of its way to let us know via their outfits that she ran into Lannister men, not just some random bandits or northerners or something. Presumably it's significant.

I think they'd have to impede her from going after revenge for all that to hold. It doesn't seem likely because they didn't show any indication they wanted to stop her from going to King's Landing.

I don't think we'll see those dudes again.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why'd she kill him?

I think it was when she was on the lam in King's Landing but my memory is really hazy since I haven't revisited book/season 1 in over 6 years. I just remember that it happened and was a bit of a shocking out-of-character whoa-Arya-can-kill-things moment. I'm pretttty sure it was in the show. Like, I don't think it was entirely necessary.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I think it was when she was on the lam in King's Landing but my memory is really hazy since I haven't revisited book/season 1 in over 6 years. I just remember that it happened and was a bit of a shocking out-of-character whoa-Arya-can-kill-things moment. I'm pretttty sure it was in the show.

He wanted to take her to the queen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvKJeaxRONk

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

That's why I think she kills these guys. They're not impeding her, they're not directly responsible for killing her family, and unlike the last set of roadside Lannister soldiers she stabbed, they're not assholes openly boasting about Rob getting butchered or anything. They're just some poor grunts off on a poo poo mission, who were willing to offer her food and rest without any ulterior motive in a show so cynical that pretty much everybody in this thread thought the scene was destined to get rapey. If she goes ahead and kills them anyway - either just because they're Lannister men or because she wants their money/food/etc - it shows she's falling down the path of the faceless men.

Or maybe she just moves on and we never see Ed Sheeran again like PostNouveau predicts. I admit this theory is mostly based on hope that the writers will throw in some kind of "Arya slowly slipping into darkness" subplot in order to justify the faceless men just let her walk at the end of the last season despite learning all of their cult secrets as them knowing her plan would ultimately drat her and turn her into what she swore not to become.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Sydin posted:

It relates to the theme of why should sons be punished for the sins of their fathers'. Also that the Lannisters don't have much fight left in them if this is the quality of armies they are raising.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think she kills em too. Arya's entire character is about being way too loving self righteous. She took their food and it'll be a way of knocking her down a peg.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It'll be loving brutal if she does kill those guys though. Wife and kid, fishing with dad, sharing food when they didn't have enough.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sydin posted:

Yeah, it's significant in that Arya needs to reground herself in reality until there's nothing but bloodlust. They're just dudes trying to keep food on the table and get home alive.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

kater posted:

I think she kills em too. Arya's entire character is about being way too loving self righteous. She took their food and it'll be a way of knocking her down a peg.

I don't think that is the way the show intends to portray her. She is basically the violent/physical to Sansa's diplomatic ability and now both of Ned's girls will team up to take down Littlefinger.

Her killing the Freys is clearly intended as her kicking rear end and not a morally ambiguous action, clearly indicated by the fact that she spared the women.

The only bad people in the show at this point are Cersei, Euron and the Night King.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Arya won't kill them, it's a hamfisted way to set up the dichotomy between the commoners and the aristocracy; Arya is not evil. I mean, she is brutal as gently caress but in 6 seasons we've never seen her harm an innocent. Arya is batman, basically.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Well there we go. That's a necessary kill. Thanks.

Sydin posted:

That's why I think she kills these guys. They're not impeding her, they're not directly responsible for killing her family, and unlike the last set of roadside Lannister soldiers she stabbed, they're not assholes openly boasting about Rob getting butchered or anything. They're just some poor grunts off on a poo poo mission, who were willing to offer her food and rest without any ulterior motive in a show so cynical that pretty much everybody in this thread thought the scene was destined to get rapey. If she goes ahead and kills them anyway - either just because they're Lannister men or because she wants their money/food/etc - it shows she's falling down the path of the faceless men.

Or maybe she just moves on and we never see Ed Sheeran again like PostNouveau predicts. I admit this theory is mostly based on hope that the writers will throw in some kind of "Arya slowly slipping into darkness" subplot in order to justify the faceless men just let her walk at the end of the last season despite learning all of their cult secrets as them knowing her plan would ultimately drat her and turn her into what she swore not to become.

I'm just not buying this. If she was going to try and kill them, I don't think she would have sat down with them. It's also not like she's invincible. Terminator-girl very nearly killed her last season, and these are 4-5 large men. If she was even thinking about it she'd correctly judge that she needs the element of surprise, like with the Freys. And, again, wanting innocent dudes dead breaks her character. The point about them being Lannister men is fair, but if you watched that scene and looked at Arya's face and somehow concluded that she was plotting murder, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to convince you otherwise. If anything, the scene was useless except to cram in a hot cameo and illustrate that Arya does have some humanity left (and maybe also send her north).

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Arya won't kill them, it's a hamfisted way to set up the dichotomy between the commoners and the aristocracy; Arya is not evil. I mean, she is brutal as gently caress but in 6 seasons we've never seen her harm an innocent. Arya is batman, basically.

Nice point. If you need Arya's scene to have a parallel with Sandor's, the commoner perspective is much more obvious.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jul 17, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

I don't think that is the way the show intends to portray her. She is basically the violent/physical to Sansa's diplomatic ability and now both of Ned's girls will team up to take down Littlefinger.

Her killing the Freys is clearly intended as her kicking rear end and not a morally ambiguous action, clearly indicated by the fact that she spared the women.

The only bad people in the show at this point are Cersei, Euron and the Night King.

Also Gregor (if you still count him as a person) and Littlefinger.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm just not buying this. If she was going to try and kill them, I don't think she would have sat down with them. It's also not like she's invincible. Terminator-girl very nearly killed her last season, and these are 4-5 large men.

She can easily kill them in their sleep. Imagine they say that they get orders "Hey, we're attacking Winterfell tomorrow!"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WampaLord posted:

She can easily kill them in their sleep. Imagine they say that they get orders "Hey, we're attacking Winterfell tomorrow!"

Arya's reaction:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think there was any 'implication' to that scene other than the fact that they were Lannister soldiers and she briefly sized them up before deciding not to kill them. I kinda doubt she will see them again and something else will cause her to abandon her list, probably seeing Nymeria again which seems to be backed up by the very brief preview of episode 2 we got. The last time we saw Nymeria was in the Riverlands and that's where Arya is now. We definitely know at some point she runs into Nymeria this season.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

WampaLord posted:

I guess? But we know that Cersei doesn't have the motivation nor resources to go after the North until she deals with Dany. And one important aspect of Arya's character is her single-minded mission against those who either killed her family, or otherwise arranged it. Going off mission and getting distracted is even more character-breaking than killing people who are nice to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Do you think after meeting the nice Lannisters that arya will come to terms with cersei making Westeros great again?

• Locked thread