Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I went today and the theater was full. I really can't explain why Homecoming fell that hard. It's a good movie and has good word of mouth. The only thing I can think of is that there is Spider-Man fatigue and whoever wanted to see it mostly saw it opening weekend.

That's much more reasonable. Spider-man fatigue sounds like something a person could actually have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Aphrodite posted:

Spider-Man's final drop was 61%, perfectly normal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Homecoming's second Friday drop isn't that big a deal and the planet of the apes reboot trilogy is loving amazing. Andy Serkis deserves all the awards.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Jack Kirby and Stan Lee got Disney Legend awards at D23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0nT53Q7_cU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUSk4lsTtwE

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

zoux posted:

When and how did they get those rights?

There needs to be an Act of Congress returning all Marvel character rights back to Marvel Studios for the good of the nation. I saw Homecoming today and bcause this is the first time we can directly compare an MCU movie version of a character to another studio's version, it just shows how much better Marvel gets their own characters.

I mean, I liked the other two franchises but this was just such a superior version to two other pretty good versions, it's ridiculous.

Nah, we've seen a pair of Quicksilvers. And for some reason people really seem to like the Evan Peters version. Can't wait for him to have the one scene again in whatever they do next, making it look like his power is time stopping instead of super speed while some 90s song plays... I dunno, maybe Novocaine for the Soul? Maybe also reveal he's still a teenager in his mom's basement and has been for like 30 years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And yet the MCU one is still lamer.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They're both very disappointing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I'm looking forward to the JL movie almost exclusively to see how they handle super speed. It seems really, really hard to get right on film. Either it looks like time stop powers like Evan Peters, or it's lackluster "basically teleportation" like Aaron Taylor-Johnson. I assume Flash will have his general thing where he's both, and also spends a lot of time in a lightning dimension.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

They've talked about how Thanos is sort of the main character of Infinity War and that they know they have to put a lot of work into justifying why the story focuses on him. Whether they'll make good on that promise is yet to be seen.

edit: also, I had no idea Josh Brolin was this jacked

The better to beat his wife with

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

*looks up*

Ah. I had no idea of any of that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Say what you will about Stan Lee, but by God that man hugged a Naruto.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Homecoming's second Friday drop isn't that big a deal and the planet of the apes reboot trilogy is loving amazing. Andy Serkis deserves all the awards.

The technology and CGI is certainly impressive, but every plot breakdown I've seen of the movies makes them sound unbearably dumb.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jamesman posted:

The technology and CGI is certainly impressive, but every plot breakdown I've seen of the movies makes them sound unbearably dumb.

Judge them for yourself. I personally find the story of Caesar (Serkis) really compelling.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I personally hate the planet of the Apes, and find the concept deeply revolting. It's like that song in Simpsons, except not ironic. I hate apes, monkeys, and primates in general, and the very idea that our society would be overthrown by those smelly cretins is offensive.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Every single trailer I've ever seen of this new Planet of the Apes franchise has the apes fighting with spears and clubs and riding on horses and I just keep thinking, why don't the humans just bomb them?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Society isn't "overthrown" by the apes in the new Planet of the Apes series. Everything that happens is humanity's fault and the apes are just trying to survive. In the first movie Caesar uplifts a bunch of apes but he doesn't cause the disease that wipes out humanity, that's caused by a technician getting infected and hiding it and the rear end in a top hat neighbor who is a pilot spreading it by going to the airport.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I mean, instead of not watching the new Apes films and criticizing them, you could actually watch them and then form an opinion.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
jesus christ y'all I know I'm late to this but Homecoming's drop off is normal and expected for everything that isn't a one-off outlier (wonder woman's is half word of mouth, half nobody wanted to see the mummy the week after because everyone know how stank that was gonna be)

it's not "Spider-man fatigue" it's not "the MCU is doomed" it's "another super anticipated movie is out the this week"

in this weekend it already beat ASM2's total lifetime gross and will almost definitely beat ASM's in the next couple of weeks.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 17, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

That's great. It's seriously the reason we're going with as to why Homecoming is crashing so hard?

Yeah, why not? The previous Planet of the Apes movie did about as well as Winter Soldier (to pick an MCU movie with a similar release date). It's a pretty loving big franchise.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I feel like half of each user's posts have been blotted out to each other or something for a whole page. :sweatdrop:

:siren: Spider-Man: Homecoming did not have a massive drop-off. It is not crashing hard. It dropped 61%, not 70%. The 70% drop was for the first day, not the whole weekend. :siren:

Continue.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 17, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The truth is that Disney bribed a bunch of moviegoers to go and see the movie after they saw the 70% number and that's why it's now 60%. :tinfoil:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Who cares? Are we all Disney stockholders?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

McCloud posted:

I personally hate the planet of the Apes, and find the concept deeply revolting. It's like that song in Simpsons, except not ironic. I hate apes, monkeys, and primates in general, and the very idea that our society would be overthrown by those smelly cretins is offensive.

I don't even like POTA but this is a loving insane post.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In literally every Planet of the Apes adaptation, the humans kill themselves.

Even the most "Apes vs Humans" movie, Conquest of, ends with Caesar delivering a speech that humanity is corrupting and will kill itself, and that apes will pick up the pieces.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

kaesarsosei posted:

Eh, it's par for the course for them, they're not someone you should really take seriously. Or pay any attention to at all.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

kaesarsosei posted:

I am fully aware that my aversion to POTA is completly irrational, but I can't really bring myself to care. It's a movie whose conceit and setting do not appeal to me in the slgihtest.

Edit: Now now red, no need for ad homimen, I'm sure you'd find me a lovely fellow if you got to know me. Also, for them? Which them are you referring to?

McCloud fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 17, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

McCloud posted:

I am fully aware that my aversion to POTA is completly irrational, but I can't really bring myself to care. It's a movie whose conceit and setting do not appeal to me in the slgihtest.

Edit: Now now red, no need for ad homimen, I'm sure you'd find me a lovely fellow if you got to know me. Also, for them? Which them are you referring to?

So are you like real angry over Gorilla Grodd? Did you cheer for Harambe's execution?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

McCloud posted:

You just seemingly have misunderstood the entire premise of the series.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

So are you like real angry over Gorilla Grodd? Did you cheer for Harambe's execution?

I dislike apes, that doesn't mean I want them dead, and I think what happened to the gorilla is a tragedy, stupid memes aside.

I kinda like Grodd, the campness of him is amusing enough. He is a c-list villain though, so I'd be annoyed if they had a major cross over, yeah. He's best used in small doses I think.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You just seemingly have misunderstood the entire premise of the series.

Honestly the only info I have from the movies are from the trailers, but even then I don't think there's anything that would make me interested in actually watching these films. Like, if the movie came up while I was watching tv I'd just change the channel.

I also feel that people are kind of blowing my recalcitrance towards apes out of proportion :shrug:

Is this what being DT feels like?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

kaesarsosei posted:

We found the guy sending in all the baby monkey torture confessions to the gbs anon confession threads

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

CelticPredator posted:

It's the best trilogy of films ever made.

I see you haven't watched the Naked Gun films.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
How do you dislike apes? Like, how does that loving happen?

This is simply fascinating. Of all the other animals, is it just apes you bristle at? Do you have things against chimps and gibbons, too? Have you ever wanted to just up and hit an orangutan?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 17, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

redbackground posted:

This is simply fascinating. Of all the other animals, is it just apes you bristle at? Do you have things against chimps and gibbons, too? Have you ever wanted to just up and hit an orangutan?

Eh, ape exhibits at zoos have always felt uncomfortably like prisons to me.

I personally have no interest in the POTA films because we all know exactly how they're going to end. The apes will win and the humans will lose. I for one can't muster much interest in a story where I already know the ending.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Eh, ape exhibits at zoos have always felt uncomfortably like prisons to me.

I personally have no interest in the POTA films because we all know exactly how they're going to end. The apes will win and the humans will lose. I for one can't muster much interest in a story where I already know the ending.

Being upset at seeing other primates in zoos is quite different than hating those primates at a base level. I think a lot of people share that first feeling.

You must have hated Titanic :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

redbackground posted:

You must have hated Titanic :v:

Hmmm. What if the boat was filled with apes?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mr Hootington posted:

I see you haven't watched the Naked Gun films.

Come on, three has a few good gags but is otherwise complete garbage.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

redbackground posted:

All of those animals you listed are apes

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

All of those animals you listed are apes

I wanted specific hate directed towards each type :colbert:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

redbackground posted:

I dislike apes intensely, and always have. Since I learned about it, I've assumed it has something to do with the uncanny valley. I just don't like to look at them, I don't lust for their death or anything. Dislike apes, monkeys are OK, lemurs are great.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apes are near-human sociopaths who traded digital dexterity for murder muscles and they will use them on you to take off your skin.

• Locked thread