Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Baron Porkface posted:

The Jewish exile in Babylon is pretty shady too, unless the exile only refers the the ~1000 most important Jews.

There at least is independent historical evidence for it. The Egypt story is devoid of any, but there were some Jews in Babylon who didn't want to be there. Probably a typical taking of hostages to ensure good behavior situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

There at least is independent historical evidence for it. The Egypt story is devoid of any, but there were some Jews in Babylon who didn't want to be there. Probably a typical taking of hostages to ensure good behavior situation.

There's also the Edict of Cyrus. While the version in the Bible is specific to the Hebrews, the real thing has been found and Cyrus does indeed say that he

"resettled all the gods of Sumer and Akkad whom Nabonidus had brought into Babylon to the anger of the lord of the gods in their shrines, the places which they enjoy. May all the gods whom I have resettled in their sacred cities ask Marduk and Nabu each day for a long life for me and speak well of me to him"

So the Jews saying "Cyrus said we could go back and rebuild our temple" was technically correct, they just left out that Cyrus said that everybody could go back and rebuild their temples.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, that's the independent evidence I was talking about. I don't know of any archaeological support, or if there is some if you'd be able to distinguish it from Jews living in Babylon willingly.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I was there it was lit af and the Jews back in Judah were just jealous.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, that's the independent evidence I was talking about. I don't know of any archaeological support, or if there is some if you'd be able to distinguish it from Jews living in Babylon willingly.

There's a direct citation in Babylonian records:

"In the seventh year, in the month of Kislev, the king of Akkad mustered his troops, marched to the Hatti-land, and encamped against the City of Judah and on the ninth day of the month of Adar he seized the city and captured the king. He appointed there a king of his own choice and taking heavy tribute brought it back to Babylon."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I meant more Jewish artifacts discovered in Babylon that'd let you identify a Jewish neighborhood or whatever.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I meant more Jewish artifacts discovered in Babylon that'd let you identify a Jewish neighborhood or whatever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehoiachin%27s_Rations_Tablets

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Neat. Cuneiform strikes again.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Looking at beautiful art from Pompei and Herculaneum, pre-romanesque and romanesque art seems like a step backwards. Was it a conscious choice for early medieval artists or was it simply the best they could do given the overall decline of society (less educated ruling class, less resources for art, some techniques lost)?

I'm not an artist, not even as a hobby but I believe that in time I could learn to copy and reproduce Roman paintings. Somebody more gifted who is also a stonemason or a woodworker could also copy sculpture. And yet there are no poorly done copies of Roman stuff all the way until Renaissance...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Doctor Malaver posted:

Looking at beautiful art from Pompei and Herculaneum, pre-romanesque and romanesque art seems like a step backwards. Was it a conscious choice for early medieval artists or was it simply the best they could do given the overall decline of society (less educated ruling class, less resources for art, some techniques lost)?

I'm not an artist, not even as a hobby but I believe that in time I could learn to copy and reproduce Roman paintings. Somebody more gifted who is also a stonemason or a woodworker could also copy sculpture. And yet there are no poorly done copies of Roman stuff all the way until Renaissance...

It's possibly not the skill it's the pigments. A lot of colors are hard to create between the science and the sourcing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Choice. There's no decline in talent and quality of the work. At least according to the ancient art historians I had to read, art history was never my thing. Much of our view of Rome still comes from Renaissance and Victorian thought on the subject, and they viewed the Middle Ages as the nadir of history and thus everything related to that, like late antiquity, was also bad. The classical era was the high point, and classical era art valued careful attention to realism.

Why did that change to the stylized, flatter and more medieval looking stuff? I don't know that there's an answer. Fashion and style just changes sometimes. Some of it is the change in subject matter. It's not a coincidence the style changes as Christianity grows to dominance. Christian art at the time is less concerned with being perfectly accurate in depicting the material world, since it's just a passing phase on the way to the important stuff after death.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Grand Fromage posted:

Choice. There's no decline in talent and quality of the work. At least according to the ancient art historians I had to read, art history was never my thing. Much of our view of Rome still comes from Renaissance and Victorian thought on the subject, and they viewed the Middle Ages as the nadir of history and thus everything related to that, like late antiquity, was also bad. The classical era was the high point, and classical era art valued careful attention to realism.

This is definitely a misstatement of the art history re: Victorians, since the Victorian era is famous for Gothic revival, romantic visions of the medieval world, and, most importantly, John Ruskin's Stone's of Venice, kind of the founding document of modern art history, which argues in favour of medieval art at the expense of classical art because it required greater individual craftsmanship and creativity and was more organic.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

skasion posted:

The story of Egyptian captivity and exodus is essentially ahistorical, it's a mythic metaphor for the Babylonian captivity yeah. The Jews did not come from outside Canaan and conquer it, they were from there. However the myth of Exodus was obviously consciously created as a myth, during the Babylonian exile, as an illustration of the principle that God's people have been through poo poo like this before and God will bring us through poo poo like this again. I don't think it was any kind of unintentional misplacement of actual history, it was being composed during the events that it mythicizes.

That's not the position of most academics working in the field.

Yeah, there's no way Exodus happens as told in the Bible, but the cultural memory of the Exodus is pre-exilic. It starts popping up after Egyptians leave Canaan around the time of the 20th dynasty, about 500 years before the Babylonian exile. So it's very likely a response to being freed from the yoke of Egyptians, it's just that Egypt left them to deal with bigger problems at home, not that the Semitic people fled from Egypt.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Disinterested posted:

This is definitely a misstatement of the art history re: Victorians, since the Victorian era is famous for Gothic revival, romantic visions of the medieval world, and, most importantly, John Ruskin's Stone's of Venice, kind of the founding document of modern art history, which argues in favour of medieval art at the expense of classical art because it required greater individual craftsmanship and creativity and was more organic.
bruh. the founding dude of modern art history is jj winckelmann, who i'll always put a good word in for because he grew up poor and educated himself, and was also gay as all hell

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Giorgio Vasari? Never heard of him!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Actually, Pliny :colbert:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The Phlegmatist posted:

That's not the position of most academics working in the field.

Yeah, there's no way Exodus happens as told in the Bible, but the cultural memory of the Exodus is pre-exilic. It starts popping up after Egyptians leave Canaan around the time of the 20th dynasty, about 500 years before the Babylonian exile. So it's very likely a response to being freed from the yoke of Egyptians, it's just that Egypt left them to deal with bigger problems at home, not that the Semitic people fled from Egypt.

How do you mean popping up? As in references appear in stone inscriptions or something else? Possibly relevant but the discussion about Samaritans early had me looking at their Wikipedia page and apparently they still use the first 5 books of the Bible as their scripture, including exodus. However they probably adopted it in the same period as the Jewish canon was established during a messy transitional period subsequent to the end of the Babylonian captivity but before the two communities completely split.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
This is a good read if you have JSTOR access.

But basically we know from Egyptian records that they were in Canaan and enslaving the Canaanites, and using the documentary hypothesis to date Biblical texts we know that the oldest texts in the Pentateuch would be contemporaneous with the decline of Egyptian rule in the Canaanite lowlands.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doctor Malaver posted:

One thing you always need to remember: most of the paintings and statuary and all of that that ever existed has been lost or in some way recycled. I mean heck, you can go to a local thrift store and see some random paintings that were donated out of an old house, and they'll be visibly deteriorated after less than a century, just because people were a bit lazy and didn't keep it well.

There could easily have been tons of art that looked Roman, or even like later art, but it was very easy for it to disappear. Even stuff that had been preserved for 800 years straight say, one stray fire starts where it's being held in 1758 and it's all ruined, and certainly no one took a photo to prove it had been there.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

HEY GAIL posted:

bruh. the founding dude of modern art history is jj winckelmann, who i'll always put a good word in for because he grew up poor and educated himself, and was also gay as all hell

Ruskin wrote a damned fine sentence though, and, more importantly, in English. I've heard Winckelmann could as well--I haven't even read a translated work of his which I should rectify since I love him for being gay as all hell. How's he read in German?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pontius Pilate posted:

Ruskin wrote a damned fine sentence though, and, more importantly, in English. I've heard Winckelmann could as well--I haven't even read a translated work of his which I should rectify since I love him for being gay as all hell. How's he read in German?
eloquent and extremely influential

edit: it's been translated though. he invented the idea that a civilization's products go through "growth," "maturity," and "decline" like a human life

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

fishmech posted:

One thing you always need to remember: most of the paintings and statuary and all of that that ever existed has been lost or in some way recycled. I mean heck, you can go to a local thrift store and see some random paintings that were donated out of an old house, and they'll be visibly deteriorated after less than a century, just because people were a bit lazy and didn't keep it well.

There could easily have been tons of art that looked Roman, or even like later art, but it was very easy for it to disappear. Even stuff that had been preserved for 800 years straight say, one stray fire starts where it's being held in 1758 and it's all ruined, and certainly no one took a photo to prove it had been there.

I'm not sure I follow this argument. We have countless busts of Roman and Greek emperors, politicians, philosophers, etc. We don't have anything similar for e.g. Charlemagne or William the Conqueror. It's much more likely that they never commissioned such sculptures of themselves than that they did but they all got destroyed.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

Neat. Cuneiform strikes again.

There are also these, the Al-Yahudu tablets, so called because they refer to a Babylonian village called "Al-Yahudu", which basically means "Judah-town"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Yahudu_Tablets

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'm not sure I follow this argument. We have countless busts of Roman and Greek emperors, politicians, philosophers, etc. We don't have anything similar for e.g. Charlemagne or William the Conqueror. It's much more likely that they never commissioned such sculptures of themselves than that they did but they all got destroyed.

the bust of charlemagne freaking owns

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

That's amazing. Although I don't think it's really the same thing as Roman Imperial statuary since it was made 500 years after Charlemagne's death.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ein Sexmonster posted:

That's amazing. Although I don't think it's really the same thing as Roman Imperial statuary since it was made 500 years after Charlemagne's death.
my point is you can't look at these people and conclude their art was bad

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doctor Malaver posted:

Because it was very in vogue to use that style at that point, and many other civilizations were particularly fond of them and kept them around, only for other cultures to loot 'em and keep them around, and so on. Even so, a ton of them are beat to poo poo from what they once were, and that's with mostly a history of people trying to preserve them.

But also you don't need the kings and other fancy guys to commission these things for dedicated artists to be making them. You just need that sort of thing to ensure they might get preserved, and made in such large numbers that you'd find a lot of them around today.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

my point is you can't look at these people and conclude their art was bad

Particularly since their art includes cathedrals.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Disinterested posted:

Particularly since their art includes cathedrals.
and swords

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Disinterested posted:

I dunno anything about Victorian art except interminable novels.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno anything about Victorian art except interminable novels.

Royal Courts of Justice in London

Sacre-Coeur de Paris

The hall of Peterhouse, Cambridge

The Palace of Westminster

Sint-Petrus-en-Pauluskerk, Ostend

etc. etc.

This gothic revivalism is across all forms of culture, not just architecture, e.g.

quote:

O what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
Alone and palely loitering?
The sedge has withered from the lake,
And no birds sing.

O what can ail thee, knight-at-arms,
So haggard and so woe-begone?
The squirrel’s granary is full,
And the harvest’s done.

I see a lily on thy brow,
With anguish moist and fever-dew,
And on thy cheeks a fading rose
Fast withereth too.

I met a lady in the meads,
Full beautiful, a fairy’s child;
Her hair was long, her foot was light,
And her eyes were wild.

I made a garland for her head,
And bracelets too, and fragrant zone;
She looked at me as she did love,
And made sweet moan

I set her on my pacing steed,
And nothing else saw all day long,
For sidelong would she bend, and sing
A faery’s song.

She found me roots of relish sweet,
And honey wild, and manna-dew,
And sure in language strange she said—
‘I love thee true’.

She took me to her Elfin grot,
And there she wept and sighed full sore,
And there I shut her wild, wild eyes
With kisses four.

And there she lullèd me asleep,
And there I dreamed—Ah! woe betide!—
The latest dream I ever dreamt
On the cold hill side.

I saw pale kings and princes too,
Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci
Hath thee in thrall!’

I saw their starved lips in the gloam,
With horrid warning gapèd wide,
And I awoke and found me here,
On the cold hill’s side.

And this is why I sojourn here,
Alone and palely loitering,
Though the sedge is withered from the lake,
And no birds sing.

Or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idylls_of_the_King
or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Morte_d%27Arthur

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 17, 2017

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Ein Sexmonster posted:

There's this:

It was still made after Charlemagne's death...probably in the 9th century, but it's either him or his grandson, Charles the Bald.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All these depictions of Charlemagne being from after he's dead is just more and more evidence for the phantom time hypothesis. :tinfoil:

Although I don't suppose that the Germanic peoples who went out and took over most of Europe had the desire for statuary that the old Romans and Greeks did.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 17, 2017

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Isn't this mostly just because the greeks/Romans were into statues and later Europeans weren't to the same extent? Like, we have a poo poo load of Roman statues and busts, but if they painted anything on canvass, paper etc it's lost. The art might just be of a style that dissappears easily.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SlothfulCobra posted:

All these depictions of Charlemagne being from after he's dead is just more and more evidence for the phantom time hypothesis. :tinfoil:

The best conspiracy theory. :allears:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

nothing to seehere posted:

Isn't this mostly just because the greeks/Romans were into statues and later Europeans weren't to the same extent? Like, we have a poo poo load of Roman statues and busts, but if they painted anything on canvass, paper etc it's lost. The art might just be of a style that dissappears easily.
they also carved in wood which, welp

disinterested, thank you, here come dat gothic revivalism

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The Greeks and Romans also had plenty of famous painters, but we don't have any of their works. Sadly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Painting was in many ways the top art among the Romans, we just don't associate it with them because so few paintings survive relative to the sculpture. You've noticed how so many sculptures are copies? It was a very commercial art. One of my professors claimed it's as if people in 2000 years thought the main art form of our age was the generic painting prints in motel rooms. Not sure I'd go that far, but it is true a lot of surviving classical sculpture is made up of copies churned out of workshops purely for commercial sale.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Fromage posted:

Painting was in many ways the top art among the Romans, we just don't associate it with them because so few paintings survive relative to the sculpture. You've noticed how so many sculptures are copies? It was a very commercial art. One of my professors claimed it's as if people in 2000 years thought the main art form of our age was the generic painting prints in motel rooms. Not sure I'd go that far, but it is true a lot of surviving classical sculpture is made up of copies churned out of workshops purely for commercial sale.
there's a greek joke out there about romans buying sculpture by the pound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Doctor Malaver posted:

William the Conqueror is (famously) depicted on the Bayeux Tapestry. Not a sculpture but it is a contemporary depiction.

(And give it a couple of hundred years and basically everyone important has a tomb topped with a statue of themselves)