Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

And most of the time the comps are just mirror comps of the same meta over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
i want blizzard to publish statistics on the odds of a player loading into a map and immediately leaving

i bet the 2cp maps get it the most

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Slime posted:

i want blizzard to publish statistics on the odds of a player loading into a map and immediately leaving

i bet the 2cp maps get it the most
When horizon went live the first 2 or 3 times it showed up in comp the match was cancelled due to cowardly defenders.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

wit posted:

When horizon went live the first 2 or 3 times it showed up in comp the match was cancelled due to cowardly defenders.

well it's a lovely map but in comp both teams play both sides so they each get to experience the poo poo

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Slime posted:

well it's a lovely map but in comp both teams play both sides so they each get to experience the poo poo

I don't think its a lovely map at all, but yeah psychological advantage seems to be a huge deal in THE FUN ZONE. Also, if the first round is a stomp then you get bizarre changes in team comp to stop the other guys from ever setting foot on objectives rather than defending really well because suicide contesters are a thing when you've just got 1/3 capture to do.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pharah Mercy isn't being run by most teams in the Shanghai group stage because maybe they don't run that comp well. EVER THINK OF THAT SMART GUY ON BNET FORUMS.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

teagone posted:

Pharah Mercy isn't being run by most teams in the Shanghai group stage because maybe they don't run that comp well. EVER THINK OF THAT SMART GUY ON BNET FORUMS.

I mean dive is superior to it anyway. There are a couple of maps where it works out well but it doesn't help if your team is dead due to burst.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Bolivar posted:

The Korean casters seem to be doing just that.

The best part about the GSL is hearing the Korean casters going loving nuts in the background of the english stream.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
tried to watch that world cup but their technical was a stuttery mess, and whoever was in control of the camera was worse than a simple AI. They would switch to someone doing nothing but walking down a hallway and then right as they engage and start shooting at someone else they'd switch again. The casters were better but hoo boy it does not inspire faith

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Even as a filthy casual who don't spend that much time on OW, is there any point going into competitive or should I just stick to quickplay? Just popping into a match and being a good Mercy is my jam.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Even as a filthy casual who don't spend that much time on OW, is there any point going into competitive or should I just stick to quickplay? Just popping into a match and being a good Mercy is my jam.

you get a separate form of ingame currency for winning games in competitive, plus some end of season rewards depending on which tier you ended out in (everyone gets currency, a spray, and an icon, but top 500 get a special icon and animated spray). the currency is used for buying golden guns for the heroes. the golden gun works with every skin so you just need one per hero (you couldn't buy a second for the same hero anyway even if you wanted to)

if you don't care about that stuff, you don't need to play comp but the ruleset is a little different for the maps so try it out

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Downsides: People take it more seriously, therefore people get toxic. More pressure, therefore less relaxing.

Upsides: People likely to try and achieve the objectives more generally. Better matched games in theory. Winning can be fun.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'd strongly suggest doing your 10 placements with goons. Any time people see an unranked player in their team the odds of someone getting salty and leaving jump through the roof. After that, see what your placement rank is like. A lot of people sit happy enough at the rank they're given, others like me pick at it like a scab. Comp play styles are very different and as a mercy you need to understand that you are the thing everyone wants to kill all match.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
It's worth doing the 10 placements each season so you can get the auto-points from whatever tier you are assigned so you can eventually get your golden Mercy stick. Mercy's golden weapons look rad.

You can also play it to get matched with people around your skill level, whereas in qp and arcade you can be matched with nearly anyone, like silvers vs. masters/gms.
In theory you might get fewer people wasting games pretending they are elite widows.
People seem to be going berserk this season about throwers/leavers, I haven't played comp since like Feb last season in May :downs: so I can't comment, but Blizz says they are releasing new punishments for that soon.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 16, 2017

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
It's kind of crazy that even at the higher levels the streamers I watch play at, there seems to be no shortage of leavers.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
You can leave 2-3 games every 48 hours with no real penalty, so lots do when they're tilting. Even if it's a disconnect your chances of getting back in time is pretty low, I would bet a lot of leavers are disconnects that couldn't instantly get back to the menu in time.

I've sent Jeff a lot of perfumed letters asking for backfill with loss immunity ala titanfall 2 but he hit me with a restraining order :(

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Competitive is just a better mode. You get to do both attack and defend on those maps and koth maps require three wins. These are correct options and the other modes are worse for not having them.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

It's kind of crazy that even at the higher levels the streamers I watch play at, there seems to be no shortage of leavers.

The latest thing seems to be asking for a QoL to admit defeat from blizzard. Shameful and would be totally exploited by grinding for easy wins to balance instant, painless losses. Just make the rank badges stickers you can buy in the store for these people, they don't care about winning at all, just the appearance of being a winner.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ToastyPotato posted:

Yup, its anecdotal of course (personal experience) but its gotten worse as the game has gone on because there isn't really a punishment for leaving/loving with other peoples games.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

kater posted:

Competitive is just a better mode. You get to do both attack and defend on those maps and koth maps require three wins. These are correct options and the other modes are worse for not having them.

Alternately this makes for long, irritating games with no ability to leave if you don't like your team, especially on koth (though at least koth can't end in draws).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the games being longer does mean that comp is a bigger investment, but if you don't like your team then just mute them. you don't need to engage with the other players

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

the games being longer does mean that comp is a bigger investment, but if you don't like your team then just mute them. you don't need to engage with the other players

It feels like a better investment of time because nobody is going to fall back on "oh well, we only lost because we were just messing around" and victories actually feel really good. On the other hand, you will get dipshits that shouldn't be in comp trying that exact line when they have a temper tantrum.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you still have to keep playing with your team whether or not you mute them

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Jesus I really hate Doomfist's skins. About the ones that aren't a chrome nose-bone away from being a problem are Cauton and Irin.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Competitive is definitely more toxic this season (at least in gold). My personal hypothesis is that it's because of school being out for the summer holidays.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Montalvo posted:

Competitive is definitely more toxic this season (at least in gold). My personal hypothesis is that it's because of school being out for the summer holidays.

hmm interesting theory. I know that during school months people claimed that it was better to play during the week either in the middle of the day or late at night for this same reason.

**there is nothing worse in this game than having what is obviously a 12 year old kid start blabbering over the voice coms. And not because I think they are stupid or anything, it just makes me question what I'm doing with my time :(

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 17, 2017

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Montalvo posted:

Yep. Thats what I think it is as well. Oh well. Not a whole lot to be done about it I guess.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I know before blizzard said the majority of the playerbase was in plat, but I wonder if that's still the case now. I remember people saying it was a lot more difficult to climb this and last season due to a combination of things like less people playing, the people still playing getting better, and the general meta.

On the other hand, I also remember people saying that people in masters/gm were especially bad compared to previous seasons so who knows, I guess.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Bare in mind that its a new meta for everyone and people are trying to keep up, its harder for everyone. Although its kind of annoying that I have to keep coaching people on how to dive. Genji doesn't go in first unless you can nanoblade and he can hit someone isolated, but that won't stop people from trying.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

dogstile posted:

Bare in mind that its a new meta for everyone and people are trying to keep up, its harder for everyone. Although its kind of annoying that I have to keep coaching people on how to dive. Genji doesn't go in first unless you can nanoblade and he can hit someone isolated, but that won't stop people from trying.

If someone goes Winston and I feel like playing someone flanky I usually just pick Tracer and go in with him if I can, since I am both useless as and don't have the patience to learn to Genji. Just following Winston around and going in when he does.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wrist Watch posted:

I know before blizzard said the majority of the playerbase was in plat, but I wonder if that's still the case now. I remember people saying it was a lot more difficult to climb this and last season due to a combination of things like less people playing, the people still playing getting better, and the general meta.

On the other hand, I also remember people saying that people in masters/gm were especially bad compared to previous seasons so who knows, I guess.

They never said that. They said the average MMR was a little over 2300, which is still in upper gold, and means the majority of the playerbase by definition cannot be in plat.

e: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753625906

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Do they have bots in online matches? Sometimes in chat you get really obviously canned messages, and I've seen the same ones multiple times. I don't see any button shortcuts for those kinds of messages in controls. Perfect punctuation and everything, even though the player names are like xxxlegolasxxx or whatever. Reminds me of botchat in the old Unreal games.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Do they have bots in online matches? Sometimes in chat you get really obviously canned messages, and I've seen the same ones multiple times. I don't see any button shortcuts for those kinds of messages in controls. Perfect punctuation and everything, even though the player names are like xxxlegolasxxx or whatever. Reminds me of botchat in the old Unreal games.

It's not bots, it's just a program that inserts a canned line of text when you press a button. They used to be really popular in DotA clones, and Overwatch isn't that big of a leap from there.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's a chat filter that changes "gg ez" into embarrassing lines.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Montalvo posted:

I concur with your summer vacation theory. I have every other Friday off with and usually play an hour or two of comp mid morning/early afternoon and have enjoyed doing that for many months. About mid June it stopped being fun. Most games consist of a 3-4 silent DPS stacking Hanzo, Genji, widow, and Tracer. They won't communicate, they're awful at the game, and they won't switch characters. To this I compare the months leading up to summer vacation that were filled with other chill adults similarly enjoying their day off.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

That actually makes tons of sense! A lot of it is at the end of a match.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That actually makes tons of sense! A lot of it is at the end of a match.

Yeah that's what it is. Now dipshits have more fun being able to spam walls of text from two letters.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tenebrais posted:

well that would explain some of the weird crap i've been seeing

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

I concur with your summer vacation theory. I have every other Friday off with and usually play an hour or two of comp mid morning/early afternoon and have enjoyed doing that for many months. About mid June it stopped being fun. Most games consist of a 3-4 silent DPS stacking Hanzo, Genji, widow, and Tracer. They won't communicate, they're awful at the game, and they won't switch characters. To this I compare the months leading up to summer vacation that were filled with other chill adults similarly enjoying their day off.

Yeah, this is pretty close to my experienced. My SR started tanking in mid to late June, concurring with a severe dropoff of teammates with voice comms (this is particularly necessary on PS4). I ran into a group of other adults playing last night and my SR shot up like 100 points after a series of really easy wins. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

wit posted:

Yeah that's what it is. Now dipshits have more fun being able to spam walls of text from two letters.

the wall of text spam is still fun, especially if you've just been stomped

the real dipshits will add spaces or spam gg ez over multiple lines so they can make sure everyone understands how ez it was