Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Those could totally be new aspect warrior shrines.

Also Mega Man X villains. But yeah, if warlocks were just an aspect instead of whatever they currently are they'd make great Psi Bees. And drat but if eldar ever get little suits of elf-friendly Terminator armor they should completely be the Gore Hippos aspect, with the aspect champion having like a power bite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Space Bees could actually be a pretty cool new xenos faction?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

theironjef posted:

Also Mega Man X villains. But yeah, if warlocks were just an aspect instead of whatever they currently are they'd make great Psi Bees. And drat but if eldar ever get little suits of elf-friendly Terminator armor they should completely be the Gore Hippos aspect, with the aspect champion having like a power bite.

In the books and stuff even within a given aspect, there are multiple shrines per craftworld, each with a different exarch reaching their version of the aspect. Like a dojo, basically.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I went to my very first 40k Tournament this weekend! It was a small 1.000 point tournament meant as an introduction to 40k tournaments. Which suited me fine, since I only just got back into the game and dusted off my Tyranids only recently.

List building at 1.000 points was very challenging. I originally wanted to cram an Exocrine in there to have some firepower, but that would not only cost a fourth of my points, I’d also need something with synapse to babysit it. I also considered a Tervigon babysitting 30 mixed Termagants, but decided that 250 points with little personal impact wasn’t the way to go. I was also worried that having only one big bug would just give my enemies the chance to shoot it down with whatever anti-tank weaponry they brought.

After trying this and that, I ended up with this Brigade list:

Broodlord (Warlord, +1 Attack)
Winged Hive Tyrant with double scything talons
25 Termagants
29 Genestealers in 2 units
Trygon

I wasn’t completely happy with this list, as it has problems with good massed small-arms shooting, and almost no shooting of its own. On the other hand, I had a lot of genestealers who could mangle MEQ, a WHT to deal with a flyer (I was hoping at 1.000 points there would seldom be more than one), and a Trygon and Broodlord for armor cracking. I also liked that I could deploy the WHT completely out of LOS and only present soft targets to my enemy turn 1, making lists that focus on anti-tank weaponry waste their shots on chaff.

So, after being afraid of flyers and using a WHT explicitly to deal with them, no one at the entire tournament brought a single flyer. Oh well.

Round 1 – vs. Ultramarines
We had the mission with are two objectives, and the organizers decided on the battleground that made life hell for psykers. He ran three land speeders with heavy bolters and missile launchers, a whirlwind, some other big gun Rhino-variant (haven’t played 40k for a while, so I’m not sure on the specifics here), a scout squad and a psyker on bike. We rolled table quarters, and I stole initiative.

I had my termagants deployed in cover around my objective and didn’t move them the entire game. I proceeded to steal initiative like a boss. 15 Stealers with Broodlord ran up the table and got the Feel No Pain psipower. WHT hid behind a huge terrain piece near the scouts.

His turn, the landspeeders repositioned next to the tanks, he basically clumped everything in his corner away from me. That meant the speeders moved and shot with -1. With my 5+ invul and 5+ FNP, half of the stealers survived the mass shooting that ensued from everything he had.

My turn, the WHT had nothing better to do than charge the 7 scouts and kill 4. Trygon and stealers popped out, Trygon made his charge against the whirlwind and left it on 3 wounds. Stealers and Broodlord killed the other tank and consolidated into his psyker and flyers.

From there it was just mopping up. His Land speeders did far less damage than I thought, once again, and over the course of the next two turns I tabled him completely without losing any more models. Victory at 9-0.

Round 2 – vs. Tau
The matchup I was afraid of. Tons and tons of small-arms fire. Lots of drones, three crisis, commander, some stealth suits. Good for me: Night fight mission, Killpoints. Bad for me: deployment zones had high buildings for him to deploy on, making charges difficult.

I had turn 1 and proceeded up the board, hiding the WHT behind a building in my corner. I deepstrike the Trygon and stealers in to saturate him with targets, but due to the tall buidlings am unable to get charges in. His T1, he uses 2 CP to light up the 15 strong stealers unit, shot five markerlights on them and then obliterated the unit. He then proceeded to shoot the broodlord, now in the open, down to 1 wound. Oh, did I mention his Crisis suit and Kommander deepstriked in the very corner next to my WHT and killed him as well?

So my opponent had a huge advantage from the get-go. Luckily, his army was made up of lots of small units, so I could still get me some sweet killpoints. Over the course of the game the few units I had left managed to kill quite a few of his. The game ended with 8-6 for him; he couldn’t get any more points since I simply didn’t have any more units to kill. Meanwhile I had left a single fire warrior alive due to same bad rolls from the Trygon.

Round 3 – vs. Beardy McBeardface
I’d like to say he was playing Admech, but it was basically “whatever works best!”. He had 3 units of admech shooty guys, one unit of infiltrators, ROBOT GIRLYMAN, and a greyknight scriptor in Terminator armor because gently caress you, that’s why. Bringing a lord of war at 1.000 pts should be a criminal offense. Oh, this also gave him 9 Command points because Girlyman really needs more cool rules.

I finish deploying first, but he steals initiative. I conga-lined my Termagaunts across my Deployment so his infiltrators couldn’t get into my backlines. So instead he infiltrated 9” in front of my stealers. He shot my stealers up, coupled with an infiltrator charge that also tied up my termagants after consolidation moves. My T1 I ineffectively deep strike my stuff in but don’t get any charges, but at least kill his infiltrators with the WHT and Broodlord. His T2 Girlyman murderizes the Trygon in one go and shoots a couple stealers on the way in. My WHT eats a unit, my gaunts shoot another, but it’s already lost at this point; Girlyman is just a joke and proceeds to run around the field and kill my entire army in 3 rounds. At least the guy was ok to play against.
Oh yeah, the organizers had decided that this would be the meteor strike battleground. We played one round with those rules, rolled the eyes and then proceeded to completely ignore them. To TO’s everywhere: do NOT run the battlegrounds in the rulebook in your events, they suck balls. Having to roll for each flying unit if it gets d3 mortal wounds every turn is not a good time.

So, I had fun and will definitely play in another 40k event again. There were only two really beardy lists – the one I had to play against, and a Chaos list with a knight. The next time they will go up to 1.500 points and not allow Lords of War and most likely Forgeworld stuff, which would be fine with me. We had a decent mix of armies, and mostly painted stuff, which was great.

Highlight of the tournament: the guy with the knight won the tournament and promptly bought the youngest player (about 16) an Ork Bomma with the prize money, nice. They also had two exocrines lying around, so I bought my second one – all the online stores in Germany are out of stock. Score!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Was that Tau player standing dudes on top of solid buildings? That's not really how buildings work.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Yes he was. Oh well... lessons learned I guess ;)

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Corrode posted:

Was that Tau player standing dudes on top of solid buildings? That's not really how buildings work.

To be fair, as far as I'm aware "buildings" aren't in the game rules unless you're using them as neutral bunkers. Closest thing would be using them as ruins, in which case infantry can move through the walls and up floors and stuff freely.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

Space Bees are totally the alt Imperial Fists scheme from before the heresy

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Corrode posted:

Lol since 8th? Every time someone mentions how 8th handles terrain I want to throw that part of the book in the trash.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
infantry in 8th can be on top of buildings, also bigger stuff with FLY

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

Would it be a better idea to make my detachment a battalion detach instead of patrol with the list I made?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ijyt posted:

Lol since 8th? Every time someone mentions how 8th handles terrain I want to throw that part of the book in the trash.

Yeah it's by far the worst part.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ijyt posted:

Buildings don't exist at all in 8th iirc except for the ones in the Imperium 2 index and a brief mention in Stronghold Assault, but both of those say to use them like before i.e. static Transports.

Agree that the terrain rules suck this time around, it's really poor.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

You basically just have to house rule that poo poo before the game because yeah ugh its bad.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Corrode posted:

Buildings don't exist at all in 8th iirc except for the ones in the Imperium 2 index and a brief mention in Stronghold Assault, but both of those say to use them like before i.e. static Transports.

Agree that the terrain rules suck this time around, it's really poor.

I think 6th started this trend of marketable terrain and I hate it.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Bad Cast confessions time. It's me, I'm the one who hasn't seen Fury Road yet despite being a fan of the old Road Warrior movies. I'm just kind of lazy about watching movies.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
So if I have a Skitarii Vanguard Alpha and I equip him with whatever melee/pistol he should have, does he still have his Rad Carbine? Moreover, how would I model that on his model? I assume some conversion would have to be done.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
So when they finally squat small marines are they gonna be all like "THE TYRANIDS GOBBLED THEM ALL UP FOREVER" or are they gonna be all like "THE PRIMARIS GOBBLED THEM ALL UP FOREVER"

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The manlets died on the way to their home planet.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Vespid already exist

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I dont believe they will, but if they did they'd probably just handwave it as attrition. They get replaced with primaris over time until almost all the originals are wiped out.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

goose willis posted:

So when they finally squat small marines are they gonna be all like "THE TYRANIDS GOBBLED THEM ALL UP FOREVER" or are they gonna be all like "THE PRIMARIS GOBBLED THEM ALL UP FOREVER"

Sucked into the Warp rift of your terrible posting

ijyt posted:

I think 6th started this trend of marketable terrain and I hate it.

It wasn't so bad for 40k when it first started, compared to Fantasy which had tons of garbo unique terrain. Completely removing generic building rules is extremely dumb though.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

jadebullet posted:

Bad Cast confessions time. It's me, I'm the one who hasn't seen Fury Road yet despite being a fan of the old Road Warrior movies. I'm just kind of lazy about watching movies.

:mediocre:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Corrode posted:

Sucked into the Warp rift of your terrible posting

Someone's got to break up the space marine circle-jerk

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Terrain and Fly chat.

Even in 7th units that could "fly" (non flyers, more talking jump and hover/skimmer units) abused the hell out of impassable and tall terrain/buildings. There was no vertical measurement required so you could move your 6 inches forward (ground level) and end 12 inches up on top of a Terrain feature as long as your model(s) could stand on it without WMS. 8th doesn't really feel any different in that regard.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So, on the return trip from ATC. Posting from my phone so this won't be super in depth. I'll say I had a great time and I still enjoy 8th over 7th. I went full length on all my games with ample time to spare. This being said here are what I see as the changes that need to be made going forward.

-Atleast 2 of the top 4 lists where basically stormravens with Dante, basically proving that build dominates with none persistent missions. Even then I assume they tabled most their opponents. Now ATC allows them to avoid the few lists they are weak against but flyer spam is certainly only going to increase. My simple recommendation would be to disallow scoring for units with the airborne rule. The other big problem is their movement is justto far. Some can move 60 inches and still fire normally meaning you can't hide from them on any table format. Maybe a slight points increase.

-Brimstone Horrors and Razorwing Flocks will need a considerable point increase. The top demon player, who I had the misfortune of playing had a insane smite spam list. This list is basically unbeatable without a Culexus. A combination of brimstones being 2 points with a 4++ and the character rule on all his princes and means you will never have an opportunity to shoot them. You'd need a highly tailored list involving conscripts and sniper spam, and even you'd likely just stalemate.

-Assault and Cover rules need changed. Cover is to simplistic and largely irrelevant, and assault is to open to abuse, especially when it comes to piling in. The "can move any direction as long as it ends its turn closer" needs to be switched back to the old base-to-base with the closest any enemy model needs to return.

Other than this there was actually considerable variation within list archetypes. Almost everyone had a Guilliman list on their team and all were different, often drastically. I don't think any of them managed better than 4-2. So while Guilliman is great he focuses on slow shooting armies that have a lot of trouble getting into the opponents backfield.

Im sure there are other changes that can be made. Unfortunately there is little reason to take common troops for armies that don't highly specialize in one thing. Gaunts, tacticals, guardsmen are all easily outclassed by their more specialized cousins like Genestealers, Devastators, or Conscripts/Scions. Basically generalist all comer lists are viable but the units within usually aren't alternative between expandable/cheap chaff, and expensive heavy hitters.

Let's hope with living rules that these problems will see fixes.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Played in our local GT that Master Twig didn't go to because he is bad and should feel bad. Wound up second, only losing to the winner. We used the new/old ITC missions so we had to play maelstrom and not ~just~ be big gunline blocks alphaing back and forth although the top 4 lists were exactly that (including three with Bobby G, 4th was 8 wave serpents and a fireprism)

I played:

7 primaris pskyers
2 stormtalons with cylcones
2 rifledreads
5 assbacks
49 conscripts
commisar
platoon commander
Bobby G

The smite spam was a real thing, tearing down wraithknights, seraphim, stormravens, and whatever else was close and functionally won me 2 games I was super behind in. I actually had three very tight games, against a guard gunline, a sisters dominion/seraphim rush, and against my teammate in a mirror-ish match. I lost to a 5 raven/bobby G list because he was able to out range me turn one and crushed me in two turns of shooting including an explosion that killed 5 of my psykers.

This happened on Game 4 Saturday and it swung the whole game:

A+ would GT again.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I can't wait to create a new cha-

...man, this poo poo hasn't been updated in like 10 millennia.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I played a good game this weekend (because I won) anyway here's my deployment Horus Heresy owns owns owns

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Played a really fun game against JesusIsTehCool yesterday. We did 1850 points, his Tyranids (which are really gorgeous) and my combined force of Howling Griffons and AdMech. We used those new Open War cards, which ended up being a lot of fun and add some cool poo poo to the games.

This is what we ended up rolling.

I had less points by a few, so I also got to pull a Ruse card.

Here's how our set up looked:

I placed my 2 units of Kataphron Destroyers right up front with the Tech-Priest Dominus supporting them to re-roll those 1's when supercharging. I was under the impression I'd get the first turn, but I actually ended up having more stuff to deploy. Luckily, I seized the initiative.

For our couriers, I ended up picking my Primaris Lieutenant with a Power Sword. JesusIsTehCool ended up picking a Malanthrope. Overall, it was a pretty fun game that was a lot closer than either of us expected it to be, with me losing to a Carnifex charging my Lieutenant after he had just finished killing a Lictor.

Here's just a bunch of photos from our game.

Howling Griffons Captain and Ancient staring down the Horde.

When you gaze into the abyss, it also gazes back.

Rangers that did nothing all game taking aim with the Arquebus.

A better picture of our initial deployment

Another Deployment shot.

The 'nids breaking my line and swarming over my Tech-Priest.

Swarmers gonna swarm.

Gaunts!

More Gaunts!

Even more Gaunts!

Gaunts ain't poo poo. Here's all the ones I killed.

Overall, great game. My favorite moment was dropping in my Inceptors behind his lines along with flipping my Ruse card the same turn - which was Tactical Reserves. It let me redeploy a destroyed unit from any table edge more than 9 inches from the enemy. Dropped my destroyed unit of Kataphron Destroyers with their Plasma Culverin's right behind his Tervigon and melted it.

Will definitely ham again with JesusIsTehCool. If you're in So Cal and want to play, let me know!

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 17, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

Played a really fun game against JesusIsTehCool yesterday. We did 1850 points, his Tyranids (which are really gorgeous) and my combined force of Howling Griffons and AdMech. We used those new Open War cards, which ended up being a lot of fun and add some cool poo poo to the games.

This is what we ended up rolling.

I had less points by a few, so I also got to pull a Ruse card.

Overall, great game. My favorite moment was dropping in my Inceptors behind his lines along with flipping my Ruse card the same turn - which was Tactical Reserves. It let me redeploy a destroyed unit from any table edge more than 9 inches from the enemy. Dropped my destroyed unit of Kataphron Destroyers with their Plasma Culverin's right behind his Tervigon and melted it.

Will definitely ham again with JesusIsTehCool. If you're in So Cal and want to play, let me know!

These are some cool photos. I just ordered the cards, so it was really good to read about them and find out that they resulted in an interesting game.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Naramyth posted:

Played in our local GT that Master Twig didn't go to because he is bad and should feel bad. Wound up second, only losing to the winner. We used the new/old ITC missions so we had to play maelstrom and not ~just~ be big gunline blocks alphaing back and forth although the top 4 lists were exactly that (including three with Bobby G, 4th was 8 wave serpents and a fireprism)

A+ would GT again.

A Culexus is basically a must take for any future all comers list IMO.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

These are some cool photos. I just ordered the cards, so it was really good to read about them and find out that they resulted in an interesting game.

There's some really cool options in the deck iteself, and it leads to fun situations. I had to eventually take my Captain down and charge into the group of gaunts to try to pull them out from bubble wrapping the Malanthrope that was his Courier.

Sudden Death cards seem cool too, but really only for narrative games. Specifically Space Marine Last Stand games.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

jadebullet posted:

Go loving watch Fury Road you (hard g) git

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Raven Guard chapter tactic is -1 to hit RG units from outside 12 inches. And they get a strategem to hold units back until the end of deployment and infiltrate them. Seems good.

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer
So these chapter tactics seem rather good.
Only starting now, I'm guessing in previous editions successors get their founding chapters tactics.

What happened to DIYs/unknowns?
Mah Blood Ravens.....

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I don't know if this has been posted yet but loving lol

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Soggy Chips posted:

So these chapter tactics seem rather good.
Only starting now, I'm guessing in previous editions successors get their founding chapters tactics.

What happened to DIYs/unknowns?
Mah Blood Ravens.....

They haven't mentioned DIYs, or how successors work, except to say that Crimson Fists will use Imperial Fists tactic but get their own relic and strategem.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Raven Guard: Masters of Sabotage

"Why does my plasma gun keep overheating when I try to shoot this 10 foot tall black-clad birdman monster send help"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

A Culexus is basically a must take for any future all comers list IMO.

-2 to cast is pretty good but I don't know if that would solve the issue. He is only one model.

Although since he can't be targeted can you smite past him? Maybe I'll need to bring some guns in my demon list.