Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Alan Smithee posted:

Do you think after meeting the nice Lannisters that arya will come to terms with cersei making Westeros great again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwz7YN1AQmQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think there was any 'implication' to that scene other than the fact that they were Lannister soldiers and she briefly sized them up before deciding not to kill them. I kinda doubt she will see them again and something else will cause her to abandon her list, probably seeing Nymeria again which seems to be backed up by the very brief preview of episode 2 we got. The last time we saw Nymeria was in the Riverlands and that's where Arya is now. We definitely know at some point she runs into Nymeria this season.

Reminded me of these silly verticals.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Any desire to take Euron seriously - even with his new makeover - is instantly washed away because of how much he looks like Pacey from Dawson's Creek. I mean, seriously, could they not give him a longer hair and an eyepatch?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TeaJay posted:

Any desire to take Euron seriously - even with his new makeover - is instantly washed away because of how much he looks like Pacey from Dawson's Creek. I mean, seriously, could they not give him a longer hair and an eyepatch?

He'd just look like berrick dondarion

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

TeaJay posted:

Yes, that would be better, but you have to remember that he's just as ridiculous in the books because he's one of GRRM's cartoonish Mary Sue bad boys.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The floor map is cool as gently caress

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

exmarx posted:

The floor map is cool as gently caress

Apparently the premiere in LA a couple days ago had that map as the dance floor. Kinda jealous.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Someone on Reddit said something funny. They said when the Hound was having the vision they kept waiting for him to say 'Just kidding you oval office, it's a fire not a loving mummer's show'

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I liked that little scene of jora asking about kelly c.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Someone on Reddit said something funny. They said when the Hound was having the vision they kept waiting for him to say 'Just kidding you oval office, it's a fire not a loving mummer's show'

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's nice how Ed Sheeran knew the song secretly composed by Symon Silver Tongue in order to blackmail Tyrion!

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jul 17, 2017

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ed Sheeran secretly appears in every episode singing some "dee dee doo dah" song about somebody who loves somebody else just to cool the room down as the series comes to an end

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Oh hey, actual thing I liked about this episode:

how loving bad where the hounds, berics, and jerry firebreather's haircuts. sure the script called it out but still, it was adorable.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also the Hound scenes were really good. I liked that he buried the bodies. And how cheerful Thoros was even though The Hound kept giving him poo poo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Thoros is a gentleman and a scholar and I hope he goes on to kill many more

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

IRQ posted:

Man I wish I had A Game of Bones that the bad thread wrote still. It was a true masterwork.

Speaking of which are there links to the bad thread

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TeaJay posted:

Also he's wearing black leather pants, apparently. I kept thinking of Ross' pants from that one episode of Friends.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Now begins the wait for the Real Negus recap episode.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That was alright at best. Shame it took us about 40 minutes to get to the one well written scene (the Clegane stuff) but other than that the rest of the episode was just "lets ram a shitload of exposition in early to set up the season".

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

There are no books to "diverge" from, and there never will be.

GOT will forever be a television show that told a complete story first, and secondly an aborted series of novels that served as an outline for its first few seasons.

IIRC gurm said he doesn't want them completed posthumously by anyone.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
That was mostly good. There wasn't enough Jim Broadbent. You just can't have enough of that man.

When Arya was going through the woods I was reminded of the start of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, specifically the movie with Tim Roth and Gary Oldman.

I now want a cameo with both playing Questions in King's Landing while Cersei does something in the background, possibly talking to Qyburn. Or even the other way round.

Re: Why was the castle empty? Have you ever been in a genuine castle? They are very cold and not very hospitable places to live.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Grey Worm chasing inconsequential squatters out of the castle for the sake of My Tactical Realism would have eaten up runtime while screwing up the intended emotional texture of the scene.

Sometimes you just gotta give that fidget spinner a whirl and accept its okay for things to happen or not happen for Story Reasons.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Kinda looks like Jorah did not find a cure yet.

Is he anything but a disappointment at this point?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jerk move from Jorah to try to grab people with his rabid hand.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Grey Worm chasing inconsequential squatters out of the castle for the sake of My Tactical Realism would have eaten up runtime while screwing up the intended emotional texture of the scene.

Sometimes you just gotta give that fidget spinner a whirl and accept its okay for things to happen or not happen for Story Reasons.

I agree that some easily disposed of squatters would serve no purpose. Therefore it would be more fitting if a small garrison would have stalled Dany for the rest of the season.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I was overly annoyed that Thoros found an extra shovel at arms length from where he was standing. Like just have him walk off camera for a second! You don't need that weird close-up of him eyeballing the hound. Just let the scene breathe!

I unno I get annoyed by weird things.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Dany spends 2 episodes besieging dragonstone and another 5 learning how to rule it.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Dany spends 2 episodes besieging dragonstone and another 5 learning how to rule it.

How about Dany landing in Dorne or the Reach, where her allies can support her army and she has a base of operations to start her conquest instead of that bleak island in throwing distance from King's Landing, where she runs the danger that Euron with his 1000 ships, manned by people who are known to be able seafarers, either completely annihilates her fleet or at least inflicts significant losses.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Nobnob posted:

Kinda looks like Jorah did not find a cure yet.

Is he anything but a disappointment at this point?

considering his goony goon handler is like the only incel at the citadel allowed to have a woman who he is totally banging

yes

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GaussianCopula posted:

How about Dany landing in Dorne or the Reach, where her allies can support her army and she has a base of operations to start her conquest instead of that bleak island in throwing distance from King's Landing, where she runs the danger that Euron with his 1000 ships, manned by people who are known to be able seafarers, either completely annihilates her fleet or at least inflicts significant losses.

Well the reach is on the other side of the continent and Dorne is where plot lines go to die so all in all I think Dragonstone is a good starting point. Also you know, symbolism and all.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Collateral posted:

Re: Why was the castle empty? Have you ever been in a genuine castle? They are very cold and not very hospitable places to live.

This is particularly the case for Dragonstone, if I recall correctly. It was originally designed as the westernmost out post of a far-flung global empire, with dragons, so it's both inaccessible and kind of lovely. There's a reason Stannis hated it, as the volcanic island it's on is useful for defense and for nothing else.

GaussianCopula posted:

It's practically-useless symbolism, something Danaerys has always demonstrated a weakness for.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Arya killing the dudes would be interesting but I kind of doubt it. The way the show has evolved she's set up as a good guy who does good things and the Lannister soldiers also seemed good so because she's good she will not kill these good men. But if she did it would be really interesting. Maybe they'll make us think she didn't kill them but then she'll show up with one of their faces to kill someone else to toy with our expectations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

Arya killing the dudes would be interesting but I kind of doubt it. The way the show has evolved she's set up as a good guy who does good things and the Lannister soldiers also seemed good so because she's good she will not kill these good men. But if she did it would be really interesting. Maybe they'll make us think she didn't kill them but then she'll show up with one of their faces to kill someone else to toy with our expectations.

they were Lannister red shirts. Any white man face is as good as the other if you have the samurai armor

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GaussianCopula posted:

So, uh, that was an episode alright.

For the people that didn't notice it, Arya is now going North because the friendly Lannister boygroup talked a lot about family, which made her reevaluate her goals in life. This might get presented as a shocking twist when she shows up in the North, but it really shouldn't.

What made me wonder is why Cersei did not tell Euron "well you see, there is this Dragon Queen on her way, maybe destroy her armada on the sea if you are the greatest captain ever". Nope - he is going to catch himself some sand snakes, giving us a really satisfying conclusion to that story.

Oh and while Jaime for some reason is concerned with feeding their army while in King's Landing, Dany can just land on a bleak island worth nothing and her presumably starving army is fine with that.

Dany brought 80 thousand horses with her to eat

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Rotacixe posted:

I agree that some easily disposed of squatters would serve no purpose. Therefore it would be more fitting if a small garrison would have stalled Dany for the rest of the season.

Defeated, she returns to slavers bay and as all the plot lines in Westeros are wrapped up the show runs for 7 more seasons that are entirely about her screwing around in Essos.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's nice how Ed Sheeran knew the song secretly composed by Symon Silver Tongue in order to blackmail Tyrion!

I hope he ends up in a stew too. He took me right out of the episode.

Glad to see Thomas Turgoose is still getting work though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TeaJay posted:

I hate the portrayal of Euron in the show. Reminds me of everything I hate about Negan in walking dead.... way too showy and dumb.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

They "tone down" all the really colorful characters. No mummers, Dario got turned into another bearded, brown-haired sword-haver, No Strong Belwas at all which is criminal, and Euron isn't an insane warlock-drug abusing viking. I mean I get that some of the cartoonishness won't look good on screen but give us something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They all died choking on their own blood and Arya gave a speech about why that also reminded you of exactly what they did. It didn't happen much faster than the Red Wedding itself did. Plus these were all nameless bannermen anyway, Big Papa Frey got his own separate more drawn out comeuppance. Lady Stoneheart would have just been vignettes about killing various ugly but innocent Frey kids, what's emotionally satisfying about that?

the manderly poo poo was 10000 percent better than how this all went down on the show. it was anticlimactic as hell.

Supreme Allah posted:

I had never heard this name before tonight and all of the sudden a bunch of loving dorks nerds and spastics are losing their poo poo over some loving apparent singer guy.

Calm your tits because you sound like the most complete bitches of all time

do you people all live under rocks? he had a hit song that was everywhere for months this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Has anyone done this game of thrones fantasy league on fantasora.com before? When does it usually update with the points for the episode?

• Locked thread