Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I never enjoyed playing Rehgar much but I think it's undeniable he still gets the job done. Like Uther and Malfurion I could pick him blindly whenever I want a support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
He's kind of like Varian in that he's flexible in which role you want, he can be super healer, or he can be a decent healer with damage on top. Both his ults are decent in different ways. Ghost Wolf is amazing for mobility, chasing, mana regen (with Feral Heart).. his kit is real good.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Be a dog and bite butts

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dragongem posted:

Any tips on how to play Rehgar? I'm trying to brush up on my other supports since Malf got a bit nerfed. I just feel so utterly useless as him though- I can't heal fast enough with my Q, my R is effective sometimes but unlike Malf it doesn't feel like I can make the sick plays to change a game, so my team just flails around dying. How do I play him so he makes a difference?

BrianBoitano posted:

Bite butts solo camps watch this video on repeat until it sticks:

https://youtu.be/RO4IA1CIreI

Taking the "give yourself a shield when you give anyone a shield" is your secret to solo'ing Bruisers crazy early. Drop a totem on the Bruisers, shield the totem, watch as everything melts under double shields ticking damage. You can still solo bruisers without it if you want to take something else at 1, just a little bit later.
Likewise, dropping a totem into the middle of a minion wave and shielding it will clear that wave and give you xp while you go do other things or stand in safety. This works whether you have the talent or not.
Rehgar can solo Siege as soon as they spawn with pretty good speed and relative safety, if your lanes aren't losing and you don't think there is someplace you can push it over the edge or save a tower you are a good person to do mercs. Very very helpful when you're on ateam without an Illidan, Samuro, Sonya, or any of the many merc camps.
You pretty much should never die short of getting chain stunned thanks to wolf form. Biting butts is fun but it is almost never worth trading Rehgar.
Bloodlust can win fights occasionally, but Ancestral will stop you from losing fights a lot more. I pretty much only take Bloodlust when paired with a Tyrande and another AA hero.

Rehgar isn't that hard to play once you learn a couple of his little quirks, the rest is just having good situational awareness to soak/merc at the right times and positioning to make sure you use his mobility to full effect.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

psst

don't tell anyone

From a ways back but on beginner AI? The adept ai opponents were smarter than my adept ai allies.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

420 bite butts eryday

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Yep. You can do things yourself like jump in front of teammates and drink to soak big incoming hits (Chen is Li-Ming's bane in this regard) but if they just sit around dumbly while you drink and soak damage you will lose.

I still keep dying as Chen... I feel like he has no disengage. Is this normal?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Rehgar is probably my favorite support to work with, especially if I'm playing any kind of AA-reliant hero. Archon + Bloodlust wins fights outright, by the way.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
If you really want to know how to play Rehgar better, I can't recommend following this guide enough.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Power Bottom posted:

Rehgar is probably my favorite support to work with, especially if I'm playing any kind of AA-reliant hero. Archon + Bloodlust wins fights outright, by the way.

Yes, but what happens when they just drop a ring of frost/starfall/slowing sands/any aoe at all and run away?

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Bloodlust gives movement speed... Starfall and Sands only partially offset the bonus, and that sweet on-reaction Ring of Frost that's going off 2 seconds from now ain't hitting jack poo poo.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Paranoid Peanut posted:

I still keep dying as Chen... I feel like he has no disengage. Is this normal?

his disengage is "drink until CD is up, move 3 steps, repeat"

Alternately, jump kick a wall or a minion that will get you out of harm's way. Going through, rather than back can be a viable escape!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Brewmaster's Balance gives you regen and movement speed at 50/100b brewskis. Sip time, douse, fire breath, run for it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Another option is to go the donkey kong build which lets you lob kegs at range over and over. Hilariously good against melee with no gap closers, decent against ranged targets with low hp.
https://www.icy-veins.com/heroes/talent-calculator/chen#26.0!421.22.
You spend less time in melee than at range which looks a little awkward but it gets your job done of keeping the enemy off your backline.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Chen seems fun as hell when you can setup the barrel to just push someone out of position into your team and murder the gently caress out of them. Gul'dan, KT, Jaina, Malf, and laser Azmo can all basically get hosed unless their team is aggressive about stopping you.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Bogart posted:

Brewmaster's Balance gives you regen and movement speed at 50/100b brewskis. Sip time, douse, fire breath, run for it.

It's on the same tier as Bolder Flavor though, which is sooooo good.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Don't even pick Chen if you're not going brewmaster's balance.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Eraflure posted:

Don't even pick Chen if you're not going brewmaster's balance.

:wrong:

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Where can I find the best build for any given hero?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

So over the last few days I've been getting weirdly regular lag--every three seconds or so it stutters. It doesn't seem to be affecting any other game as far as I can tell, just HotS. Is this like a known issue?
I've been seeing the same since the last patch. Just random points of lag in hots, ranging from the full 3 fps for a minute or two fun to whole matches that are just a little laggy. I just assumed it was my ISP doing its usual "It's summer, so the network we put 0 money into is making GBS threads the bed." Do you have the blizzard launcher set to close when running a game? Try that, since the launcher and HoTs are both notorious for memory leaks.

Dragongem posted:

Any tips on how to play Rehgar? I'm trying to brush up on my other supports since Malf got a bit nerfed. I just feel so utterly useless as him though- I can't heal fast enough with my Q, my R is effective sometimes but unlike Malf it doesn't feel like I can make the sick plays to change a game, so my team just flails around dying. How do I play him so he makes a difference?
Like others have pointed out, the main thing is don't spec into heals but instead take advantage of his other utility. His slow totem, instant mounting and butt biting are great. You should almost whenever it's off cooldown press z to get bonus damage on his next AA.
He's also good at soaking a lane by dropping a totem in it, shielding it then running off to help in another lane. Also always take the shield on shield talent. That's how you wind up actually keeping dudes alive, not chain heal. Chain heal is more sustain/help with chip than actually a way to save a dude getting pummeled. That's part of why I always take his heal ult, I just get nervous having a support without an answer to burst.

He does require a team that knows they're best off spreading damage around/not always letting the tank get hit though. In the same way a team needs to know someone like Malf or BW can't do too much when someone is focused.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 17, 2017

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

No, seriously, Brewmaster's Balance is really good too. Take Bolder Flavor if you have a team that knows when to capitalize on you going in and soaking damage, take Brewmaster's Balance when you don't.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

lucifirius posted:

Where can I find the best build for any given hero?
The two main sites
Icy Veins
Good for a general description of how a character works and why. The only downside is some characters don't have any good players who still like them (or blizzard will just leave them in the dumpster for months) so a guide might be outdated compared to the current meta. But in general I like it, since there'll be explanations in the talent page about why the author suggested or doesn't suggest something. So once you know the basics of the game you can sometimes evaluate if the advice still holds true.

hots logs
What many people will suggest, in a "See? Go by what folks win with!" way. Just be careful and don't take the stats as gopsel since a build may be winning or optimal in high-end play but worthless to you or your team-comp. Or bad players can cargo-cult onto a good build and tank its rating. It's a useful tool, but I'd avoid blindly following it.

Grubby also keeps a list of his preferred builds at any given moment which are worth checking out but you'll again run into "These are builds a high end player loves, and he might do well in spite of them, not because of them" -or that once again counter a meta that's not relevant to you.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 17, 2017

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I've been keeping these 4 tabs open on a second monitor for ages now:
tempo storm's psalm guides: https://docs.google.com/document/d/169EApZPvKE38FIsaSJZsPCf9HK3CmvHTBCHwBVys4_k/preview
srey's solo queue tier list and builds: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UHCxA5ITmhhufV41O1QsFvFDm61abFqsa1TfR5SePNM/preview
mcintyre's tier list and builds: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tuaW9f-m7x-ukrWvgy2REb-3xnGfZ4bM0K0_4toTyPA/preview
grubby's builds: http://www.robogrub.com/builds

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Onean posted:

No, seriously, Brewmaster's Balance is really good too. Take Bolder Flavor if you have a team that knows when to capitalize on you going in and soaking damage, take Brewmaster's Balance when you don't.

They are both good talents, I just find Bolder Flavor lets you make bolder plays.

But you are right, Chen lives and dies on team quality.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Grubby's site seemed to not actually show anything, for me.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I usually take bolder flavor because I always accidentally cancel my drink with my garbage micro.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

He's kind of like Varian in that he's flexible in which role you want, he can be super healer, or he can be a decent healer with damage on top. Both his ults are decent in different ways. Ghost Wolf is amazing for mobility, chasing, mana regen (with Feral Heart).. his kit is real good.

In what way is Varian flexible?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

SirSamVimes posted:

Tank or DPS. I mean you should play him as a tank but

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
He does warrior quests and assassin quests at the same time

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Fuzz posted:

Grubby's site seemed to not actually show anything, for me.

You've stumbled upon the REAL best way to play hots.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Coolness Averted posted:

The two main sites
Icy Veins
Good for a general description of how a character works and why. The only downside is some characters don't have any good players who still like them (or blizzard will just leave them in the dumpster for months) so a guide might be outdated compared to the current meta. But in general I like it, since there'll be explanations in the talent page about why the author suggested or doesn't suggest something. So once you know the basics of the game you can sometimes evaluate if the advice still holds true.

hots logs
What many people will suggest, in a "See? Go by what folks win with!" way. Just be careful and don't take the stats as gopsel since a build may be winning or optimal in high-end play but worthless to you or your team-comp. Or bad players can cargo-cult onto a good build and tank its rating. It's a useful tool, but I'd avoid blindly following it.

Grubby also keeps a list of his preferred builds at any given moment which are worth checking out but you'll again run into "These are builds a high end player loves, and he might do well in spite of them, not because of them" -or that once again counter a meta that's not relevant to you.

Cool, thanks! I'm Gold 1 right now, got placed there, and that seems to be where my skill level is at for now.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

lucifirius posted:

Cool, thanks! I'm Gold 1 right now, got placed there, and that seems to be where my skill level is at for now.

A lot of the skill in this game is figuring out which heroes have a One True Build vs ones that are super variable and which talents you should be focusing on given your team/their team. Sometimes the right choice is the least picked talent because most people aren't dealing with a cho'gall/auriel/medivh combo.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

lucifirius posted:

gently caress stealth heroes.
I find the way HotS handles stealth to be pretty odd anyway, in that the whole "hope you can visually distinguish this slight Predator-style shimmer!" aspect is so markedly different from the sort of skills required by the rest of the game that it feels really out of place to me. (And God help you if your eyesight just physiologically isn't up to the task for whatever reason.)

But then, stealth heroes are always going to be annoying no matter how they're implemented, I suppose.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You could just make them untargetable and not show up on the minimap, so identical to how they are now just more visible. It is an odd mechanic right now.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Blizzard has never been able to balance stealthed heroes. Going back to vanilla WoW.

For that matter, Blizzard can't balance non stealthed heroes either. Half the fun of Blizzard games is trying to figure out what class is overpowered at the time.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

gently caress there are a lot of bad stukovs out there. Like the last one I had that barely healed and mostly just stood around using lurking arm

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite Stukov was the one I saw continuing to channel the arm on Cho'gall while being killed by shadow bolt volley.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

MMAgCh posted:

I find the way HotS handles stealth to be pretty odd anyway, in that the whole "hope you can visually distinguish this slight Predator-style shimmer!" aspect is so markedly different from the sort of skills required by the rest of the game that it feels really out of place to me. (And God help you if your eyesight just physiologically isn't up to the task for whatever reason.)

But then, stealth heroes are always going to be annoying no matter how they're implemented, I suppose.

Like I can sometimes see the shimmer when I'm actively looking for it when nothing major is going on, but god forbid there's a team fight...

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SirSamVimes posted:

He's got a lot of variance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trade Chat Troll
Jan 22, 2010

Power Bottom posted: