Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Bicyclops posted:

That is very sad. He took such joy in his work that even listening to an interview with him about doing a Big Finish script could make you excited and make you laugh. RIP.

His interaction with Christopher Benjamin (Jago) in the J&L extras were very good, as brief as they are. I remember Trevor saying he'd written a script that wrote out Jago entirely, and had his character be assisted by his nephew, called "Litefoot and Litefoot". It was fun. Oh god, if they're doing a memorial episode just like they did with John Hurt, I'm going to cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I hope she has the round things, I love the round things.

This joke was about the TARDIS roundels and I am only now realizing, Tobias-like, how easily it is misinterpreted as a boob joke.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Bicyclops posted:

What are the round things?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Stabbatical posted:

She was great in that promo though. Acted and looked the part perfectly. She totally is The Doctor though, whether everyone likes it or not. I hope she gets some great scripts and the team make some really good stories. :)

Is there another promo, or are we talking about the reveal promo? Because I thought that was bad and she has already said that isn't her official costume.

Not that any of us were expecting a real teaser promo for next season. There's no way they could have filmed anything more than they did, but let's not kid ourselves. You can't gleam much from that promo other than "That's Jodie Whittaker."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TinTower posted:

"No idea" - Every Guy On Twitter Complaining About Whittaker

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TinTower posted:

Storage for jellybabies, jammy dodgers, and spare K-9s.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Bicyclops posted:

This joke was about the TARDIS roundels and I am only now realizing, Tobias-like, how easily it is misinterpreted as a boob joke.

I absolutely interpreted it as that and was about to do a big "oh you".

Instead here's a Capaldi I drew a while back that I might as well put here, apropos of nothing other than my just now remembering it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Slowpoke! posted:

Is there another promo, or are we talking about the reveal promo? Because I thought that was bad and she has already said that isn't her official costume.

Not that any of us were expecting a real teaser promo for next season. There's no way they could have filmed anything more than they did, but let's not kid ourselves. You can't gleam much from that promo other than "That's Jodie Whittaker."

I like the slight smile she gets, showing an excitement for the adventure ahead. But yeah, it's reading a lot into a couple of seconds.

But after 3 seasons of Doctor Grumpypants, the smile isn't on accident.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Slowpoke! posted:

It is clearly Capaldi's costume.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This whole thing has proved to me that people apparently can't recognise clothing if a person of a different build and/or gender wears it, thus rendering decades of "I can't go to the party wearing the same thing as YOU!" jokes moot.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

:eng99: death of a spouse negates the need them to give consent for the certificate

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

I like the slight smile she gets, showing an excitement for the adventure ahead. But yeah, it's reading a lot into a couple of seconds.

But after 3 seasons of Doctor Grumpypants, the smile isn't on accident.

But 12 has a beautiful smile that doesn't at all make him look like a deranged villain!

That intro almost redeems the entire rest of the episode. :allears:

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Cerv posted:

:eng99: death of a spouse negates the need them to give consent for the certificate

I'm not sure you could even legally marry the Doctor, if we're going down this road; I doubt the law makes provision for sentient non-humans. Maybe it does and they've prepared for this exact eventuality!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

here we go again, another voyage around the English language :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

:downsrim:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe the TARDIS is a man now

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe the TARDIS is a man now

don't you dare ever imagine the TARDIS isn't Suranne Jones. i refuse to exist in such a reality #notmytardis

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Boob joke? I went for the Dalek joke.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cerv posted:

Well, River didn't die until the 41st Century, so there.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
This popped up on my youtubes and I enjoyed it more than I normally enjoy these sorts of things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=augxOAiskEY

There've been a lot of good performances, but this, if anything, just hammers home how Capaldi has been staggeringly amazing.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Star Platinum posted:

But 12 has a beautiful smile that doesn't at all make him look like a deranged villain!

That intro almost redeems the entire rest of the episode. :allears:
12's big grin does make me think of Tom Baker a fair bit :)

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

on the bright side the angry tweets about the new lady doctor clued me into the fact that I somehow missed Season 10 in its entirety because I never watch BBC America and never see ads for it

Thx gender warriors

I can't stop watching yr av

also I was alerted to the casting thanks to GOOGLE NOW while going through the airport, with a brief crisis of "ok, this is an ambiguously worded headline—it doesn't mean she's been cas—oh dang it DOES???" and I did a lil wootle :3:

well ok that's my story

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Paul.Power posted:

12's big grin does make me think of Tom Baker a fair bit :)

I'm sure it'll be great if Capaldi ever does Big Finish, but it just won't be the same because so much of Capaldi's performance comes from his expressions.

It's too bad the writing has been so scattershot during his tenure, the man deserved to break Tom's record.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I keep hoping they'll take one (or more!) of the recent Doctors and start doing movies with them. There's no reason they can't do movies the same way BF does audios. (I'm ignorant of any licensing nightmares that may preclude this.)

It would be ill-timed to start now though, let Whittaker get her sea legs under her first.

Mostly I just want there to be a way Capaldi can make more Doctor Who. :( I never really pined for more Tennant, and I missed Smith but his tenure seemed to run a pretty natural course. Maybe Eccleston would do a movie though....

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Chalk me up as another person who completely missed the last season due to the constant whirl of life. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Also, yeah, that little teaser gave me a giant, dumb grin for the rest of the day.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DoctorWhat posted:

You insinuated that you knew one wasn't happening.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Must concur, I do recall a couple of "he has been cast and it is a he" posts, fwiw. :shrug:

This isn't super important, but I was curious so I went back and looked, and he doesn't actually say that. At one point he said, definitively, that the new doctor was not a black woman (in response to some comments), but that's basically it. At one point, when he said the new Doctor had been cast, he did use the pronoun "he", but just casually and it was right after saying that he had no idea who it was, and it would certainly not trickle down to him. And he never did that whole emphasis on "and it is a he" like you're saying here. He was actually rather careful to not approach the "could the Doctor be a woman" prediction at all.

Thus ends my research into some dude's SA posts. Luckily there weren't that many to pick through.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

pgroce posted:

I keep hoping they'll take one (or more!) of the recent Doctors and start doing movies with them. There's no reason they can't do movies the same way BF does audios. (I'm ignorant of any licensing nightmares that may preclude this.)

It would be ill-timed to start now though, let Whittaker get her sea legs under her first.

Mostly I just want there to be a way Capaldi can make more Doctor Who. :( I never really pined for more Tennant, and I missed Smith but his tenure seemed to run a pretty natural course. Maybe Eccleston would do a movie though....

One of the reasons audios work better here, though, is actors get older, but we've already seen the "oldest" that incarnation of the Doctor will look. Sure, you can cheat sometimes, like with Peter Davison in that thing he did with David Tennant, but you can only write in so many "time vortex thingies" explaining why they look older before it starts to sound really ridiculous.

In audio, you can just assume they still look the same.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

In audio, you can just assume they still look the same.

You say that but I always end up picturing Colin looking like he does right now

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

pgroce posted:

Maybe Eccleston would do a movie though....

One can dream. Eccleston really seems to be against ever doing any Doctor Who stuff again though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

n4 posted:

One can dream. Eccleston really seems to be against ever doing any Doctor Who stuff again though.

It seems like recently he regrets leaving the show. Kind of sucks that he wouldn't even consider taking part in the 50th.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

It seems like recently he regrets leaving the show. Kind of sucks that he wouldn't even consider taking part in the 50th.

That runs contrary to what we've heard...apparently he did consider it, but elected not to.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

n4 posted:

BF has said that he hasn't closed the door on working with them at some point in the future.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It becomes hard to say "no" to Big Finish at some point, as they'd probably come to your house and record it while you're eating a sandwich one day, and Nick Briggs will just alter your voice to take the sandwich out.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
THE DOCTOR[in not eating a sandwich voice]:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Considering how positive he's been about the announcement, I suspect that Colin's probably trying to convince the BBC to bring him back for a multi-Doctor story.

Well, more than usual.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

THE DOCTOR[in not eating a sandwich voice]:

TOM BAKER: [Eating a sandwich, messily dripping it all over the microphone while looking pointedly at Nick Briggs and winking] I'm going to invent some of these lines instead of reading what's on the page.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

TOM BAKER: [Eating a sandwich, messily dripping it all over the microphone while looking pointedly at Nick Briggs and winking] I'm going to invent some of these lines instead of reading what's on the page.

this but beer

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

Lalla Ward: Oh for gently caress's sake Tom.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Nicholas Briggs: "Now, Chris, you can either record these lines, or I can leave Tom here with you for a few days. How's the old liquor cabinet holding up?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I admit, I didn't really like the idea of a female doctor, but know that I see it, I'm very happy with their decision. Well done! :):D

• Locked thread