Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Welp I got the sword of kings and the Karkata outta a quick trial mode run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ROFL Octopus posted:

Nice, I just checked and the ultimate dagger is still a rare drop from a rare game that still doesn't have a consistent way to spawn.

FFXII is back baby. :thumbsup:
So use a different weapon.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The thing with the 100% HP = Steal gambit is if you're just running with it to pick up extra loot as you explore, make sure your party have their attack gambit set to "Attack party leader's target". That will give you one steal chance if you control the leader (sometimes 2), the party will attack it, then the leader will move to the next 100% target. The lack of a proper "Enemy has item = Steal" gambit sucks and they should have fixed that this time around. If you're after a particular item then you have to turn off gambits and steal til you get it. There just isn't a better option which sucks.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FactsAreUseless posted:

So use a different weapon.

Please Do Not Suggest That A Goon Play A Game Sub-optimally. It Is Forbidden.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think every single rare item in the game is available in trail mode anyway.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

I think every single rare item in the game is available in trail mode anyway.

At a glance, I think you're right. It's weird they put the Karkata so early on when the other weapons are on stages 50+.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nomura is a drunk and a fool and it is only surprising to him that the executives realized he was pissing money away and started investing elsewhere.

Kingdom Hearts 3 actually looks incredibly solid, which seems staggering in face of Nomura's incompetence. Kingdom Hearts 2 was an abysmal sequel to Kingdom Hearts 1 and after that the series just got...loving weird and I don't know so

Fact is that this game looks like somebody actually played a Platinum game made in the past ten years and realized that THIS is what action games are capable of now. I have every expectation that this game will still be utterly batshit but maybe they've finally decided to make a game with proper gameplay.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kalenn Istarion posted:

His role is to ask the dumb questions so that the audience can learn about things that an informed adult in the setting wouldn't credibly need to ask about

"How old were you again?"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can see why amnesia + brainwashing is such a common trope among FF protagonists because they look like total dumbasses otherwise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Nomura is a drunk and a fool and it is only surprising to him that the executives realized he was pissing money away and started investing elsewhere.

Kingdom Hearts 3 actually looks incredibly solid, which seems staggering in face of Nomura's incompetence. Kingdom Hearts 2 was an abysmal sequel to Kingdom Hearts 1 and after that the series just got...loving weird and I don't know so

Fact is that this game looks like somebody actually played a Platinum game made in the past ten years and realized that THIS is what action games are capable of now. I have every expectation that this game will still be utterly batshit but maybe they've finally decided to make a game with proper gameplay.

KH2 was way better than 1 though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

True

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SyntheticPolygon posted:

In what way? The way that combat was less engaging since you just tap QTE buttons to wipe out crowds or the way that every level was cramped and dull, bland Disney-themed successions of rooms to beat up enemies. The game lacked any sense of exploration that KH1 did, and the boss fights were increasingly more bullshit hard, particularly that one Org. XIII fight with the water.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Not as good as KH 2.5613 though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I compare this whining to Tabata's extremely specific and to-the-point discussion of FFXV's design process and I come away unimpressed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

In what way? The way that combat was less engaging since you just tap QTE buttons to wipe out crowds or the way that every level was cramped and dull, bland Disney-themed successions of rooms to beat up enemies. The game lacked any sense of exploration that KH1 did, and the boss fights were increasingly more bullshit hard, particularly that one Org. XIII fight with the water.

Combat is way faster and more technical than the first game and reaction commands were a neat way of adding some dynamism to fights, 'exploration' = insanely lovely platforming so I'm glad that's gone and the only vaguely difficult non-optional boss fight was the one with Roxas they added for Final Mix.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The combat was more fun, the qte's were usually small things for random encounters or cinematic stuff for bosses which were pretty solid, KH1's exploration was bland and often even bad meaning that the straightforward map design was no problem, and even the gummi ship missions improved. It's a really good game, and then the final mix version which is now in the hd ports is even better.

E: Also Mickey Mouse is playable and that owns.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Just a heads up, the double EXP accessory can be poached off of the Coeurl enemy.

An easy way to do this would be to blind a party member with the Sight Unseeing ability and then set your gambits up.

Blind guy - Foe: Nearest Visible > Sight Unseeing
Poacher - Foe: HP = Critical > Poach

:black101:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I would like a FFXII-2 with a more complex Gambit system (give me some basic logic gates besides "If", please) and a cast of playable characters that takes more advantage of Ivalice's diverse racial composition. XII's cast of 5 Humes and a Viera, all with similar body types, has always been something of a let down. IX was the last time parties got real crazy with player races, not counting the MMOs. I've always thought it would be cool if you had a Garif on your team.

Part of that comes from playing Rogue Galaxy pretty close to FFXII, and RG had a very diverse cast.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

LawfulWaffle posted:

I would like a FFXII-2 with a more complex Gambit system (give me some basic logic gates besides "If", please) and a cast of playable characters that takes more advantage of Ivalice's diverse racial composition. XII's cast of 5 Humes and a Viera, all with similar body types, has always been something of a let down. IX was the last time parties got real crazy with player races, not counting the MMOs. I've always thought it would be cool if you had a Garif on your team.

Part of that comes from playing Rogue Galaxy pretty close to FFXII, and RG had a very diverse cast.

Once TressFX became technologically achievable in Final Fantasy, all hopes for a non-supermodel party vanished with it. You can't put the lid back on that Pandora's Box.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

They removed the dumb "oh you opened this chest now you lost Zodiac Spear" thing right? If not, who gives a gently caress because I'm opening all them loot boxes.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The only FFs that had non human characters was 6,7 and 9. 12 doesn't really stand out in that way.

E: oh and kimarhi

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Vargatron posted:

They removed the dumb "oh you opened this chest now you lost Zodiac Spear" thing right? If not, who gives a gently caress because I'm opening all them loot boxes.

Yes, and the Zodiac Spear is obtainable in multiple places now, including trials.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think 9 and 12 are the only FFs to have more than two non-human major races anyway (i.e. races where there's not only one or two members like Umaro or Red XIII).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

exquisite tea posted:

You can see why amnesia + brainwashing is such a common trope among FF protagonists because they look like total dumbasses otherwise.

The Holy Trinity is Amnesia, Brainwashing and Just Straight Up Lying About Things.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Monkey's Paw, etc etc

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Pureauthor posted:

I guess as long as their MMOs and gacha mobages keep bringing in the big bucks they don't have that much incentive to actually shape up.

All of their segments are expected to stand on their own rather than be perpetually subsidized by more profitable segments. Their console game development division isn't immune to restructuring when it fails to get results. IO Interactive has been spun off and they're shifting to licensing Marvel IPs for several of their studios.

AAA games have seen explosive growth over the past decade. The top publishers are shipping 10-15+ million copies of their games. Ubisoft had two hits this year with Ghost Recon Wildlands and For Honor. A boutique publisher like Deep Silver managed 5 million+ copies with Dead Island. Square-Enix has struggled to be productive and take advantage of this wave of growth enjoyed by other publishers.

If their console gaming continues to struggle in development and in the market, they're going to have to ask themselves why are they investing so heavily in traditional console game development when most of their money comes from MMOs and mobile games.

Oxxidation posted:

I compare this whining to Tabata's extremely specific and to-the-point discussion of FFXV's design process and I come away unimpressed.

I think it's fair to say that Square-Enix has struggled with the demands of modern AAA development throughout this past decade. FFXII to FFXV have all suffered from development hell. All of them were headed by talented directors who struggled when the scope of development increased what they were previously comfortable with.

At the same, it's also fair to say that Nomura's games have a habit for long stretches of radio silence or just not coming out at all. Previous FF directors were more active in engaging with fans and showing off the game. FFXII was demoed back at e3 2004 with its original director, Yasumi Matsuno, answering questions for the press. Tabata had a consistent dialogue with fans during the development of FFXV through streams, blog updates, and events since it is expected of modern game promotion.

The excuse for Versus XIII/XV was that FFXIII was taking up resources and Crystal Tools was bad. The excuse for Kingdom Hearts 3 was that Tabata's team took up all the support staff for Luminous Studios so they had to switch to UE4. Now, the excuse for the FF7 remake is that outsourcing the bulk of development to Cyberconnect2 didn't work out and they're moving development in-house even though the internal development team is severely understaffed. It's always the fault the company or the team's circumstances rather than the person in charge of the projects.

At a certain point, you have to wonder how the other directors even manage to compromise their vision and ship their games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TurnipFritter posted:

The Holy Trinity is Amnesia, Brainwashing and Just Straight Up Lying About Things.

Monkey's Paw, etc etc

Ffta2 was good, fucko

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

corn in the bible posted:

Ffta2 was good, fucko

Maybe when they finally get around to releasing FFTA2 International Zodiac 3D or whatever and include a fastforward feature.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sunning posted:

All of their segments are expected to stand on their own rather than be perpetually subsidized by more profitable segments. Their console game development division isn't immune to restructuring when it fails to get results. IO Interactive has been spun off and they're shifting to licensing Marvel IPs for several of their studios.

AAA games have seen explosive growth over the past decade. The top publishers are shipping 10-15+ million copies of their games. Ubisoft had two hits this year with Ghost Recon Wildlands and For Honor. A boutique publisher like Deep Silver managed 5 million+ copies with Dead Island. Square-Enix has struggled to be productive and take advantage of this wave of growth enjoyed by other publishers.

If their console gaming continues to struggle in development and in the market, they're going to have to ask themselves why are they investing so heavily in traditional console game development when most of their money comes from MMOs and mobile games.

I think it's fair to say that Square-Enix has struggled with the demands of modern AAA development throughout this past decade. FFXII to FFXV have all suffered from development hell. All of them were headed by talented directors who struggled when the scope of development increased what they were previously comfortable with.

At the same, it's also fair to say that Nomura's games have a habit for long stretches of radio silence or just not coming out at all. Previous FF directors were more active in engaging with fans and showing off the game. FFXII was demoed back at e3 2004 with its original director, Yasumi Matsuno, answering questions for the press. Tabata had a consistent dialogue with fans during the development of FFXV through streams, blog updates, and events since it is expected of modern game promotion.

The excuse for Versus XIII/XV was that FFXIII was taking up resources and Crystal Tools was bad. The excuse for Kingdom Hearts 3 was that Tabata's team took up all the support staff for Luminous Studios so they had to switch to UE4. Now, the excuse for the FF7 remake is that outsourcing the bulk of development to Cyberconnect2 didn't work out and they're moving development in-house even though the internal development team is severely understaffed. It's always the fault the company or the team's circumstances rather than the person in charge of the projects.

At a certain point, you have to wonder how the other directors even manage to compromise their vision and ship their games.

Do you think this may have something to do with the working culture in Japan? The stereotype seems to be pulling 16 hour shifts at work on a consistent basis and to me that signals a lack of efficiency the the day to day business processes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Final Fantasy is THE big-budget, overwrought 100-hour AAA JRPG of record and player expectations feed almost as much into their lengthy development cycles as their directors.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

TurnipFritter posted:

Monkey's Paw, etc etc

The designs in this one don't seem as bad to me.

Still, I remember the game having some mechanics that turned it into a pile of rear end. Which is unfortunate, because I remember other parts of it being really good.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Does Machinist suck forever?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Wikipedia Brown posted:

It's good paired with white mage. Gun damage ignores defense and isn't based on stats. If you're running around with Ribbons you only have one or two status effects to set gambits for, so after your white mage finishes buffing it can contribute a bit of damage and status effects.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

they are useful in very specific situations and as a source of nice licenses for other jobs to use, but otherwise yes they do

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sunning posted:

Considering how FFXV turned out, the answer is "they barely did." FFXV shipped but I think it's pretty silly to pretend like what we got is a fully finished product. It's a slice and a half of open world content stapled together into a vaugly finished game. It's impressive it got finished at all considering the situation but FFXV shows the same systemic problems. In any other situation a game released like FFXV did would be a laughingstock and a lot of people (myself included) give it a pass based off the fact that it's a functional game after a laughingstock development. Their successful MMO had to be remade from the ground up in a completely unprecedented way and still is a half-functional cobbled-together mess which can't actually expand inventory spaces enough because it would crash their servers. Most, if not all, of the games they've released have shown development problems, suffered delays, and otherwise been a problem.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
But man that ff7 remake sure will come out and be complete and good

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Isn't the whole patch after release mentality the order of the day with AAA devs? It seems to me that every game gets a day one patch of some sort right out of the gate.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, as I bought FFXII HD, now seems like a good time to go back and try to finish FFVI for the first time. (I don't get my brain, either) I might have been inspired by the earlier talk of "what? You played a game for several hours an didn't like it? Play it some more!" I really feel like there must be esomething here I am not appreciating and if I just keep at it, I'll see it.

I made it up to when Setzer joined but that was several years ago now and I barely remember anything passed the Ghost Train. But what i want to know is, does the combat get more interesting? Aren't there supposed to be like a lot of characters for an FF game? Having different playstyles instead of just mashing Tools could maybe help keep me motivated. (my last aborted run died because Tools)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Isn't the whole patch after release mentality the order of the day with AAA devs? It seems to me that every game gets a day one patch of some sort right out of the gate.

Games get printed a month or so before release so developers keep working on it, hence a patch at release. Also games are very complicated so things need to be patched.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm playing through Zodiac Age and never played the original, so I have a few questions:

-I'm trying to avoid paralyzingly myself with minmaxing anxiety by just picking license boards, but just to verify, am I loving myself over with Vaan on Shiksari, Penelo on time mage, Fran on machinist, Balthier on white mage, and Basch on knight? I've been using vaan/bal/basch as I play through the mines but don't know if that's a great lineup

-Is there a way to prioritize my gambit of foe: hp=100% steal so that Vaan doesn't run all over the place targeting every new enemy in a group as they show up?

-Am I good to just sell my enemy drops, since it seems like the bazaar is used instead of crafting?

Sorry if these are dumb questions. I don't want to get a few dozen hours in and realize I've hosed myself over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Day 1 patches exist because physical media for games is somehow still a thing and publishers have to make ship-by dates to retailers, even if that physical media are just download codes in a box. QA is still happening in the months between a game's printing and release and Day 1 patches, despite all the bitching about them on the internet, are in their idealized form a way for developers to ensure a better experience for a player than just waiting for complaints about bugs you already know exist.

Obviously there are many dubious examples of Day 1 patches being used to justify rushing a genuinely unfinished product out the door, it's the "we'll fix it in post" of video games.