Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Also a capability that would have come in handy so many times in other episodes.

But that episode also involved a mafia planet of perfect mimics without a native culture of their own who then constructed one entirely out of a book on the Chicago mobsters that someone left there, and Kirk coming in as the biggest badass kingpin of them all and taking over the planet in the name of the Federation in exchange for a hefty cut of GDP, so you could just chalk the whole thing up to an invention by James Kirk, biggest tall tale teller in the quadrant.

E: Sort of like Paris' "one time in the Delta Quadrant I revolutionized physics by going infinite speed, but then I turned into a salamander and hosed Janeway and salamander babies came out and one of the babies looked at me, and then we all swore never to reveal the secret of infinite speed, wish I could tell you how I did it, oh about me being a newt well I got better" story :rolleyes:

One of the novels has an offhand 'We asked Kirk to report into HQ more frequently, he replied with some bullshit story about aliens stealing his first officer's brain, what a maverick."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope we get some sort of Red Squad story where the real crew mysteriously dies and whatever cadet is the leader of red squad, wrongly assumes again that he's now a real life commissioned officer and field promotes everyone. Then they go around to primitive civilizations and beam down with poo poo tons of replicated money to live like ballers for a couple weeks before moving to the next planet.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

I hope we get some sort of Red Squad story where the real crew mysteriously dies and whatever cadet is the leader of red squad, wrongly assumes again that he's now a real life commissioned officer and field promotes everyone. Then they go around to primitive civilizations and beam down with poo poo tons of replicated money to live like ballers for a couple weeks before moving to the next planet.

DS9, season 6, episode 22.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

shadok posted:

You have not experienced Star Trek until you have watched it in the original Klingon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

shadok posted:

I know, I want another one.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tunicate posted:

One of the novels has an offhand 'We asked Kirk to report into HQ more frequently, he replied with some bullshit story about aliens stealing his first officer's brain, what a maverick."

That makes a ton of sense.

New Trek headcannon: Captain Kirk went down like a bitch on Veridian 4(3? who cares) because he was a supply captain and spent his entire career filling out requisitions for genetically engineered wheat on Starbase K7, everything we saw on screen was just the stories he told in the bar.

The only reason he came back from the Nexus with Picard in the first place is he was too embarrassed to admit he'd never been in a fight.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

That makes a ton of sense.

New Trek headcannon: Captain Kirk went down like a bitch on Veridian 4(3? who cares) because he was a supply captain and spent his entire career filling out requisitions for genetically engineered wheat on Starbase K7, everything we saw on screen was just the stories he told in the bar.

The only reason he came back from the Nexus with Picard in the first place is he was too embarrassed to admit he'd never been in a fight.

How do you explain the ones where other captains saw what he was up to?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sash! posted:

How do you explain the ones where other captains saw what he was up to?
The captains were a hallucination of the autistic child shaking the snow globe.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nessus posted:

The captains were a hallucination of the autistic child shaking the snow globe.

RED SQUAD! RED SQUAD! RED SQUAD! RED SQUAD! RED SQUAD!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tunicate posted:

"Admiral, we have another log update from the Enterprise."
"Oh, what the gently caress is it now? Another energy being? Aliens took the ship to warp eleventy? Space mobsters? Space Nazis? Space Amish?"
"Apparently they discovered a virus that made everyone drunk and their engineer accidentally discovered how to time travel."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

8one6 posted:

"Admiral, we have another log update from the Enterprise."
"Oh, what the gently caress is it now? Another energy being? Aliens took the ship to warp eleventy? Space mobsters? Space Nazis? Space Amish?"
"Apparently they discovered a virus that made everyone drunk and their engineer accidentally discovered how to time travel."

That sounds like a great coverup for a really wild party.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
"I was hoping to discuss the recent issue where one 'Reginald Barclay' apparently 'de-evolved' into some kind of ... spider? ... but your CMO said something about 'grandma alien sex ghosts'. Can I please speak to someone with authority? Is the Captain there?"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tunicate posted:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"Look kid, every new officer who comes to Internal Security thinks they're the first person to think of beaching anyone who's had their mind fiddled with. Now I can run through the numbers with you myself if you want, but long story short, half the fleet would be uncrewed within a year. Think about that for a minute."

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I like how in the DS9 Tribble episode, they acknowledged that time fuckery happens to Starfleet officers so often that they have a class at the Academy specifically for what to do if you get sent into the past.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Temporal Fuckery is one of the most important Starfleet Academy classes, right next to Advanced Proto-Nazi Planets.

That said, how many Nazi planets will the Discovery crew encounter? 1? 2?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And now recalling Trials and Tribble-lations with Temporal Investigations' job mostly consisting of grilling Starfleet officers on time travel shenanigans and griping about Kirk.

The Enterprise must be the Mike Tyson of space.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

If you told me every episode of Discovery would be weird time travel or Nazi planets, my enthusiasm would go way up.

Trek has been running from its cheesy roots for far too long, imo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gonz posted:

Temporal Fuckery is one of the most important Starfleet Academy classes, right next to Advanced Proto-Nazi Planets.

That said, how many Nazi planets will the Discovery crew encounter? 1? 2?

There was a little over 25 years between the peak of Nazism and TOS.

It's been a little over 25 years since the Gulf War.

I look forward (with a large bucket of popcorn and a heightened sense of :magical:) to Discovery tackling the Jihad Planet.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

There was a little over 25 years between the peak of Nazism and TOS.

It's been a little over 25 years since the Gulf War.

I look forward (with a large bucket of popcorn and a heightened sense of :magical:) to Discovery tackling the Jihad Planet.

Yeah, but even Enterprise had time traveling Nazi aliens loving with Earth's history. I don't expect this new show to buck the trend.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
You guys are looking at it all wrong, the Nazi planet and the gangster planet happened because Paramount had lots of appropriate sets and costumes lying around. If we wanna predict Discovery episodes, we just have to think of what materials CBS has an abundance of.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Pakled posted:

You guys are looking at it all wrong, the Nazi planet and the gangster planet happened because Paramount had lots of appropriate sets and costumes lying around. If we wanna predict Discovery episodes, we just have to think of what materials CBS has an abundance of.

*gets internally hype for NCIS Planet*

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Pakled posted:

*what digital environments and objects they've already rendered

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pakled posted:

CSI: Risa? Hawaii 5-000? :c00l:

E: Angels and ministers of grace, defend us from Chuck Lorre Sitcom Planet

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 17, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Honestly, if they ever gave Star Trek the Marvel treatment and started making tons of spinoffs on all sorts of different platforms, a Star Trek police procedural type show might actually be good.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pakled posted:

"captain, we're being hailed from an apartment that appears to only have three walls."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

8one6 posted:

"captain, we're being hailed from an apartment that appears to only have three walls."

In which Star Trek: Discovery becomes insanely popular, in the face of all common decency and logic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gonz posted:

in the face of all common decency and logic.

So par for the course for 2017?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gonz posted:

Yeah, but even Enterprise had time traveling Nazi aliens loving with Earth's history. I don't expect this new show to buck the trend.

Let's take it to the next level: time traveling Nazi alien robots.

Edit: I just realized that's more or less the Daleks.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 17, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You're going to see Starfleet officers running around in the background of that godawful Big Bang Theory prequel

Orv
May 4, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

...Big Bang Theory prequel

I give up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I saw a trailer for it before a movie yesterday and I wanted to die.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

spincube posted:

"I was hoping to discuss the recent issue where one 'Reginald Barclay' apparently 'de-evolved' into some kind of ... spider? ... but your CMO said something about 'grandma alien sex ghosts'. Can I please speak to someone with authority? Is the Captain there?"

It's well established that there is a press in the time of the TOS movies and TNG era and I want more than anything to be able to read how various Starfleet shenanigans are reported.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
We've gone back in time to 2017 California and we need a team of engineers who know how Federation starships work to help us get back!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I saw a trailer for it before a movie yesterday and I wanted to die.

Same except kill

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Bloop posted:

Same except kill

No kill I

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

You're going to see Starfleet officers running around in the background of that godawful Big Bang Theory prequel

Would that be the Big Brane Theory? :haw:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Yesterday I went to a con and for the first time ever, actually met some actors from Star Trek! I got to meet LeVar Burton and Brent Spiner. I was going to have them sign my TNG Blu Rays, but then someone was like "You know, you can just buy signatures online, but you can't buy pictures." And I was like "do I really want to spend $100 to get these guys to sign my Blu Rays?"

Also hilariously, my picture of LeVar has double the facebook likes and he had a huge line. Meanwhile Brent Spiner had no line at all. No love for Mr. Data I guess.

edit: it's probably because non-nerds might know Levar from Reading Rainbow and Roots, while Brent Spiner was in, uh... Independence Day I guess?

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 17, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

edit: it's probably because non-nerds might know Levar from Reading Rainbow and Roots, while Brent Spiner was in, uh... Independence Day I guess?
Lots of people love LeVar from their childhood from Reading Rainbow, yes, and that's probably what the deal was, but.... non-nerds at cons? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Nerds come in many forms, and believe it or not many of them have not watched and are not interested in Star Trek.