Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

They "tone down" all the really colorful characters. No mummers, Dario got turned into another bearded, brown-haired sword-haver, No Strong Belwas at all which is criminal, and Euron isn't an insane warlock-drug abusing viking. I mean I get that some of the cartoonishness won't look good on screen but give us something.

On the other hand, they managed to turn Ramsay from a pretty bland brute into a genuinely entertaining and menacing psychopath. Similar with Roose, who I'd say worked way better than the pseudo vampire lord book version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

Arya killing the dudes would be interesting but I kind of doubt it. The way the show has evolved she's set up as a good guy who does good things and the Lannister soldiers also seemed good so because she's good she will not kill these good men. But if she did it would be really interesting. Maybe they'll make us think she didn't kill them but then she'll show up with one of their faces to kill someone else to toy with our expectations.

Arya tried to give herself an excuse to murder them by telling them all she was set on regicide, but they laughed it off. Now that she's getting used to that sweet sweet endorphin rush, she'll need to kill more and more.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/devil-regrets-making-deal-with-ed-sheeran-20170315124088

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

do you people all live under rocks? he had a hit song that was everywhere for months this year.

Is this some kind of British thing?

Although I gotta admit I don't really listen to modern pop music or radio stations.

Perestroika posted:

On the other hand, they managed to turn Ramsay from a pretty bland brute into a genuinely entertaining and menacing psychopath. Similar with Roose, who I'd say worked way better than the pseudo vampire lord book version.

Show Roose was pretty good, aye, and so was Ramsay, at least before they just had to amp him up to a 1000. At the end he became boring, like when you have watched too many slasher films.

I much preferred the old suave Daario compared to Mr. Bland. He didn't need a blue beard, but he had the Daario look.

Oh, and by the way, is Edmure written out of the show or something? IIRC he should still be at the cells at The Twins. Did he die on the way to his home planet?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 17, 2017

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I heard the ed sheeran thing was a surprise by the producers for masie williams. Be pretty hosed up if they made her murder him.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
So we're not getting a big battle this season?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Perestroika posted:

Ramsay stopped being entertaining and just became eye-roll-inducing sometime around "20 good men."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Nail Rat posted:

Ramsay stopped being entertaining and just became eye-roll-inducing sometime around "20 good men."

I'm gonna put the shark jump moment at somehow staving off the Ironborne rescue op with a combination of shirtlessness and doggies.

Jaime should have mentioned their cynophobia in his rant on why the Ironborne are a joke.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Tits, tits

Dragons, dragons

Plant, plant

They're the fuckin same

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

So whose idea was it to make The Mountain look like Shredder?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I hate the portrayal of Euron in the show. Reminds me of everything I hate about Negan in walking dead.... way too showy and dumb.

Book Euron feels genuinely creepy to me. I was honestly disturbed by the Aeron chapter from WoW and especially Falia's fate.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

RCarr posted:

Has anyone done this game of thrones fantasy league on fantasora.com before? When does it usually update with the points for the episode?

I dunno. But I have Arya so I think I've automatically won the season in the first 5 minutes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I wish arya killed ed sheeran so bad

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Alan Smithee posted:

Speaking of which are there links to the bad thread

This is the bad thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738

You guys will need a new home after the show ends in 12 more episodes. Might I recommend the Bad Thread? It's called the Bad Thread, but it's like Michael Jackson Bad.

This page has a compilation of Bad Thread produced songs so you can become acquainted with the culture.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1280

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They all died choking on their own blood and Arya gave a speech about why that also reminded you of exactly what they did. It didn't happen much faster than the Red Wedding itself did. Plus these were all nameless bannermen anyway, Big Papa Frey got his own separate more drawn out comeuppance. Lady Stoneheart would have just been vignettes about killing various ugly but innocent Frey kids, what's emotionally satisfying about that?

Meritt Frey died in the books begging for his life scared shitless looking at the face of zombie Catelyn. That was plenty satisfying. I assume that happened to all the Freys she had killed. That was better than having them die without knowing why.

The Red Wedding got dragged out enough so that Frey could taunt them before they died. This whole thing felt too merciful for Arya. She should have given them a slower poison and left them there.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't really want Sansa's and Arya's plot lines to involve much more smirking as they get torturous revenge on their enemies.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah if there's one thing I'm sure of is that GRRM's climaxes won't involve the protagonists all becoming the sort of people who take pleasure in torture and death without paying a major personal price for it. Everytime someone in ASOIAF sets out on a quest for revenge they wind up getting screwed up by it and paying some considerable personal price, even if the revenge is fully justified.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Dany: Jorah, I command you to find a cure for your psoriasis!

Jorah: *gets locked in a lovely dungeon forever* yaaaaas queen

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I mean they're presumably trying to cure Jorah and just have him quarantined off.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TeaJay posted:

Book Euron feels genuinely creepy to me. I was honestly disturbed by the Aeron chapter from WoW and especially Falia's fate.

I dunno, to me book Euron's portrayal always felt a tad forced. Perhaps it's because so much about him is described anecdotally by other characters, but often times it seemed like gurm was basically writing "trust me, this guy is like suuuper mysterious and dangerous!". It was not nearly as bad as ~*~*Darkstar*~*~ or anything of the sort, but it did feel sort of tryhard at times.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

So what episode is Jon making Sansa the hand of the king? Also is he officially Jon Stark now?

When bran came through the wall and I realized it's only a matter of time until he meets back up with Jon and Sansa felt good.

I've said it before, this is cathartic to 20 years of waiting for poo poo to happen in the books. I'll take whatever HBO has to offer in terms of resolution. Bring this poo poo on!!!!!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've never seen Ed Sheeran's face before and my first reaction was wow props to HBO for putting a genuinely ugly guy on tv

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The game of thrones producers love musicians and have put a lot of them on the show, I'm not surprised he showed up but I am surprised he wasn't violently murdered.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wait why is Jorah locked in a Maester's citadel?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
why are the show writers too much loving cowards to adapt characters as written like Euron

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Perestroika posted:

I dunno, to me book Euron's portrayal always felt a tad forced. Perhaps it's because so much about him is described anecdotally by other characters, but often times it seemed like gurm was basically writing "trust me, this guy is like suuuper mysterious and dangerous!". It was not nearly as bad as ~*~*Darkstar*~*~ or anything of the sort, but it did feel sort of tryhard at times.

I'd argue that the guy who raped his brother, seduced (or raped?) his other brothers wife which got her killed, killed his third brother. Later he chains said raped brother next to the woman who is pregnant from him at the prow of his ship after cutting her tongue out, is prettyyyyy dangerous given that he is also the king of one of the seven kingdoms.

On the show on the other hand his worst crime is what? Killing his brother to become king? Everybody does that there and no one gives a poo poo. Oh and he burned Jamie in the throne room, but that's hardly something that makes you the most evil person ever.

If he wants to be "worse than Ramsay" he has to do some really crazy poo poo to the Sand Snakes, which I doubt the producers have the balls to pull off.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 17, 2017

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

RCarr posted:

Wait why is Jorah locked in a Maester's citadel?

Because things constantly happen on this show without explanation, there will probably be a throwaway line in the next episode to explain how he got there.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I mean if your khaleesee gives you a command to find a cure for your morgellions, you could probably do worse than to look for it in the city where literally all the knowledge in the world is kept and maintained? :shrug:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
This show is pretty boring and awful now and I'm just riding it out because it's the only book I'll ever get. Like that Seinfeld episode where Elaine keeps eating at the bad sub place because she just wants to get enough points to get a free bad sub.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Seemed a bit dangerous for Dany to be sauntering miles onto an island with only a few sidekicks and without knowing whether it's occupied

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I mean if your khaleesee gives you a command to find a cure for your morgellions, you could probably do worse than to look for it in the city where literally all the knowledge in the world is kept and maintained? :shrug:

Given that he also managed to get there before Dany reached Dragonstone, it's even more impressive, unless Vary's gave him his teleporting device.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Seemed a bit dangerous for Dany to be sauntering miles onto an island with only a few sidekicks and without knowing whether it's occupied

The dragons went ahead. I figure if anyone was there and saw that, they would probably poo poo their pants and run rather than stay and maybe try to kill whoever is following the dragons.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Given that he also managed to get there before Dany reached Dragonstone, it's even more impressive, unless Vary's gave him his teleporting device.

I assume whatever quantum field let Gilly's baby finally grow from it's 4-year toddler-hood helped.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

What does this have to do with being locked in a cell?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

This show is pretty boring and awful now and I'm just riding it out because it's the only book I'll ever get. Like that Seinfeld episode where Elaine keeps eating at the bad sub place because she just wants to get enough points to get a free bad sub.

Yeah this is why I kept reading the Dark Tower books King wrote after he got off cocaine and they got bad-weird instead of cool-weird.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't really want Sansa's and Arya's plot lines to involve much more smirking as they get torturous revenge on their enemies.

But that's Arya's character now. She enjoys getting revenge and giving death. She really dragged out her kill of Meryn Trant. I don't see why she wouldn't have savored the Frey kills more.

It shouldn't be Sansa's character. That's a gently caress up on part of the writers. Arya and Sansa shouldn't be alike.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

RCarr posted:

He is being quarantined because he has a dangerous and potentially incurable disease*? :shrug:

*(printer-hauling lovesickness)

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

RCarr posted:

Greyscale is hyper contagious at least after a point, right?

Quarantine makes a lot of sense.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
So, we're all in agreement that Euron is going to backstab Cersei and aim to marry Dany, in what was the most obvious foreshadowing ever, right?

...right?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Trivia posted:

So, we're all in agreement that Euron is going to backstab Cersei and aim to marry Dany, in what was the most obvious foreshadowing ever, right?

...right?

nah he can have a salt wife and iron wife or whatever. Euron is going to end up marrying the night king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Wait, isn't there supposed to be a horn held by Euron that if blown will crumble The Wall? Does that even exist in the TV show?

• Locked thread