Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

About the only place I've ever seen contactless payment has been Walgreens and vending machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/android/guide-to-android/

Samsung do things a bit differently but some things there will be similar. Also, swiping down from the top of the screen with two fingers will expand the notification and action shade more than using one finger to swipe.

I recommend installing Nova Launcher too. Play around with it, it's got a ton of customisation features and performs really well.

RVProfootballer posted:

Things will be a little different on Samsung (or other manufacturers) than generic stock Android, things like where an exact setting is or how multitasking works/looks exactly. So mainly just keep that in mind, eg, search for "setting X galaxy S8", not "setting X Android".

Try to keep contacts, calendar, etc synced with the Google apps rather than Samsung ones. That way everything is in the manufacturer-agnostic cloud, not Samsung's specific duplicate apps that may or may not be allow easy transfer or editing.

Otherwise, just start using it!

Thanks :) I'm getting more comfortable with menu navigation now and I'll check out Nova Launcher as well. So far, only thing that bothered me was the amount of bloatware on the phone. It came with Samsung's junk, and also three lame games?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The beauty of Android NFC is that it's open - I never used Android Pay but my bank's own app could do exactly the same thing. Also worked for topping up my bus card which is an enormous pain in the arse now I've switched to iOS

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm buying the Pixel 2 no matter what because I like my phones to not die at 40% and also not stop charging randomly

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

logikv9 posted:

I'm buying the Pixel 2 no matter what because I like my phones to not die at 40% and also not stop charging randomly

Same but not fuckin explode

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

How does a phone interact with a magstripe reader anyway? (This is a serious question. Even having heard repeatedly about this witchcraft, I can't quite wrap my brain around how it's supposed to work.)

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Would anyone happen to know why my 2017 VW (with MIB2 dash unit) repeatedly deletes/sets up a new bluetooth pairing every time I connect/disconnect from Android Auto (pixel)? It's super god drat annoying because it asks me to enable smart lock every time I get in the car. Whether I do or not, the bt pairing is deleted automatically every time I unplug the phone.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

docbeard posted:

How does a phone interact with a magstripe reader anyway? (This is a serious question. Even having heard repeatedly about this witchcraft, I can't quite wrap my brain around how it's supposed to work.)

A magstripe reader just detects a magnetic field, I doubt it's very difficult for a phone to create one similar to a credit card.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Bryter posted:

A magstripe reader just detects a magnetic field, I doubt it's very difficult for a phone to create one similar to a credit card.

Yep

quote:

Magnetic Secure Transmission (MST) is a technology that emits a magnetic signal that mimics the magnetic strip on a traditional payment card. MST sends a magnetic signal from your device to the payment terminal's card reader (to emulate swiping a physical card without having to upgrade the terminal’s software or hardware). 

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bryter posted:

It really is too bad Samsung bought that patent because it would be a really cool thing have in non exploding Android phones

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

It really is too bad Samsung bought that patent because it would be a really cool thing have in non exploding Android phones

You mean like the galaxy s7 and s8?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

vyst posted:

You mean like the galaxy s7 and s8?

He said Android

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:lol:

This is the best thread

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I've never seen Android pay anywhere and I live in tech central

Walgreens, Whole Foods and my nail salon all take Android Pay which account for maybe 90% of my terminal transactions where I have to deal with the stupid chip card terminals.

Yes, I know how that sounds and that ship has sailed but pretty much everywhere else they swipe my card and I don't have to deal with that terrible chip.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

RZA Encryption posted:

Does Samsung Pay always use the magstrip reader, or is there an nfc mode too?

If it does both, how do you choose which technology to use?

It supports normal Android Pay NFC mode. When you tap Samsung Pay against a normal NFC terminal, it pays instantly. When you hold it up to a magstrip reader, it takes a couple seconds to transmit the card. It is probably always transmitting the MST signal while also checking for the NFC signal. If it detects the NFC, then it just completes instantly. Otherwise, you just have to hold it against the card reader until it completes. It can take like 3-10 seconds depending on if it fails the first time (which can happen, just leave it there and it will get the next "pass").

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

thecluckmeme posted:

Thanks :) I'm getting more comfortable with menu navigation now and I'll check out Nova Launcher as well. So far, only thing that bothered me was the amount of bloatware on the phone. It came with Samsung's junk, and also three lame games?

You may wish to go to Google's page in the app store and basically install everything, some may not be installed by default and they're better than Samsung's version in most all cases.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

thecluckmeme posted:

I just got an s8 for the vr and 360 camera stuff after owning exclusively iOS devices for the better part of 8 years

Is there a "how to android" guide for iOS users who aren't used to this interface?

Like others have said, on a Galaxy phone you get Google's suite of apps and services alongside Samsung's, there are still a few duplicates although Samsung and Google have been working towards a more unified approach lately. Coming from iOS, the trick is learning which ones to use and how.

Samsung specific services you should use:

Samsung Cloud: coming from a iPhone this should be pretty straightforward. It's the best backup solution available on Android and works like iCloud. Just set it up to periodically backup your phone over WiFi and you'll have a copy of your phone should anything happen to it. I recommend not syncing your pictures though, use Google Photos for that.

Samsung SmartSwitch: this should come built in to your phone already. It'll transfer all cross compatible data from your iPhone into your S8 and find you the Android version for any app that's available on both app stores. There's also a desktop version available that'll let you create a local backup of your phone should you want to.

Samsung Internet: critical consensus is that the latest version is the best mobile browser currently available. I tried it got a while and it is pretty nice and the built in ad block support is nice. However I'm too used to Chrome to switch, even with the built in Chrome sync. Presumably you're coming from Safari though, so it might be an easier transition for you. Either way, Chrome is also included out of the box and you can't go wrong with either one.

Samsung phones now sync Contacts to your gmail account by default, but it's worth a double check since carrier versions can vary. That should ensure your contacts will be available no matter what device you switch to in the future. There's no need to get Google Calendar as your phone's calendar is pretty much Google's with a few additional features built in. It will automatically sync whatever calendars are associated with your Google account and any others you specify within the app.

Use Google Photos to sync your camera and upload your music to Play Music, I recommend the subscription service as well if you're not in Spotify or the like already.

The settings menu can be a bit confusing at first, but remember there's a search bar on top to get to where you want to be.

As for any bloatware, from the app drawer it's trivial to disable and hide any app you don't want or need.

Other than that, make sure to explore the phone or look up tips and tricks online because there's just too many things to list. You can create gifs, take scrolling screenshots, enable fingerprint gestures, and so on.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

And maybe don't jump on it right away until you've worked out the basic How Android Works stuff, but I'll put in another plug for Nova Launcher. There are a few quite good custom launchers out there for Android, but Nova's probably the one closest to "vanilla Android, but with all the features that should be there but aren't" that I've seen.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

And maybe don't jump on it right away until you've worked out the basic How Android Works stuff, but I'll put in another plug for Nova Launcher. There are a few quite good custom launchers out there for Android, but Nova's probably the one closest to "vanilla Android, but with all the features that should be there but aren't" that I've seen.

nthing this. And I've tried most of the popular ones (and some that aren't)

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
One thing I've gotten around to enjoying on the Galaxy S8 is that there isn't an App button anymore. I can just swipe up on the screen and it pops up the app list. Can Nova Launcher do that too?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nalin posted:

One thing I've gotten around to enjoying on the Galaxy S8 is that there isn't an App button anymore. I can just swipe up on the screen and it pops up the app list. Can Nova Launcher do that too?

Yes, that's the Pixel Launcher behaviour that was incorporated into other things like Nova and the Samsung launcher.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Nalin posted:

It can. There's a gestures menu that lets you map various combinations of taps and swipes to drat near anything, including opening the app drawer. (That's how I have mine set up, actually).

It can now even do the "swipe left for Google Now" thing though it needs an additional app to pull it off, and setting it up is a little fiddly. Works well though.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes, that's the Pixel Launcher behaviour that was incorporated into other things like Nova and the Samsung launcher.

Technically it debuted on the S7, it just wasn't the default. Although if we want to get really technical I'm pretty sure that was an option all the way back on LauncherPro.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had that behavior in a gesture for my launcher on the Note 3.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Looks like Lenovo are announcing a G5S Plus along with the new X4 on the 25th

Trying to decide whether it's worth holding out a bit in replacing my broke-rear end Galaxy S5, or grabbing a G5 Plus for $299Aud.

So far it seems to have dual rear cameras, and maybe a slight CPU bump, but will likely sell at a higher price point.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's also an all metal design so maybe they are trying to stomp the Nokia 6 from getting a foothold

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
My tax return comes in way before July 25th though so RIP I'll probably just start buying a new Gx Plus every time that happens now rather than buying a flagship every 4 years and suffering for the last two as it becomes obsolete

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Don Dongington posted:

My tax return comes in way before July 25th though so RIP I'll probably just start buying a new Gx Plus every time that happens now rather than buying a flagship every 4 years and suffering for the last two as it becomes obsolete

You only get tax returns every 4 years?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

You only get tax returns every 4 years?

No, by that I meant buy a new phone every year, rather than every 4, as I've been doing with the expensive iphone/Galaxy Sx flagships in the past.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Lol drat. Htc 10 with stock keyboard

https://twitter.com/HTC_UK/status/886867878594699264

We accidentally put ads in your stock keyboard that shouldn't even have the functionality for ads. Sorry guys!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

https://twitter.com/HTC_UK/status/886867878594699264

We accidentally put ads in your stock keyboard that shouldn't even have the functionality for ads. Sorry guys!

Hey now, they didn't, they just contracted core software of their devices out to a third party they didn't control and let them do it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MikeJF posted:

Hey now, they didn't, they just contracted core software of their devices out to a third party they didn't control and let them do it.

Android.txt

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I remember when the HTC keyboard was the keyboard to have, and everyone sideloaded it because all other keyboards were garbage.*

* By garbage, I mean didn't even have T9 support :rolleye:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So at this point I'm really torn between getting the Essential (if it ever comes out) a Pixel XL or waiting for Pixel 2 (if it will exist)
The soonest I could buy a new phone is mid-August

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The US launch of the Essential isn't far off at this point OR SO THEY CLAIM

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/07/17/essential-phone-launch-us-imminent/

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Incessant Excess posted:

The US launch of the Essential isn't far off at this point OR SO THEY CLAIM

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/07/17/essential-phone-launch-us-imminent/

Hopefully they announce a bumper or case or something that fits its wacky screen and magnet gimmick because the body can be made of titanium and ceramic but the screen will still be lovely glass that will crack the first time you drop it on something that's not rug or hardwood

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm still somewhat interested in the Essential PH-1, but it really needs to launch for real in the next 1-2 weeks before I just move on to waiting for the Pixel 2 (or a used Pixel). There's been a couple stories about one or two executives leaving the company already, and honestly that's not incredibly reassuring to see before the first product is even on sale.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I am not interested whatsoever in the Essential and will be preordering the Pixel XL 2 the very second it's possible. That's my hot, steaming, valued take on phones

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm planning on getting a Pixel 2 as well, hopefully some of the bold claims made about it in this thread prove true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am not interested whatsoever in the Essential and will be preordering the Pixel XL 2 the very second it's possible. That's my hot, steaming, valued take on phones

My only dilemma is whether to immediately pre-order a Pixel XL 2 or wait and see if Verzion does another black friday sale on them like last year.