Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

WampaLord posted:

A big issue for me, living in a state where our governor denied Medicaid funding, is that I have literally no access to healthcare while unemployed, and yet I will be fined on my taxes for not buying healthcare anyway.

I am extremely not a fan of the ACA. I realized my problem is ultimately Rick Scott's fault, but if the ACA was a stronger bill, he wouldn't have the option to deny funding in the first place.

https://www.healthcare.gov/exemptions-tool/#/results/2016/details/secretary-hardship

quote:

How to claim an exemption if you would have qualified for Medicaid if your state had expanded coverage

If both of the following apply to you in 2016, you may qualify for a health coverage exemption.

You live in a state that hasn’t expanded its Medicaid program under the Affordable Care Act
Your income and household size would have qualified you or your family for Medicaid if the state had expanded coverage

If you qualify for this exemption, you don’t have to pay the penalty for any month of 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, the thing is health insurance is not like any other type of coverage but idiots still like to make those comparisons anyway as an argument against being made to purchase it. You might never need your flood insurance, your car insurance, malpractice, renter's or home owner's, term life, accidental death/injury, etc. but you are sure as poo poo going to need to see a doctor at some point unless you just get shot in the head or struck by lightening or something and conveniently just die instantly.

Frankly, speaking of that, I've never understood why funerals aren't free and simply part of a UHC program. The closest thing I can think of to a UHC approach in the U.S. that already works great is Hospice care. I've never heard anyone bitch about that.

The "Death panels" criticism was in response to a provision to pay for palliative care / hospice evaluations.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

BiggerBoat posted:

It's very hard being a far left liberal, especially where I live, but it must be absolutely loving exhausting to be a conservative; constantly fitting round pegs in to square holes and poo poo and always justifying sins like greed, avarice and vengeance. The constant rationalizing, fear and self denial has to take a toll.

I don't think they are all that stressed by it. It's cultural, so most of them are in a cultural context that means if they ever start to doubt, they are reinforced by everyone around them reminding them of things like how evil Hillary is and so forth.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm trying to calculate it but how many people would be insured if all states were required to implement Medicaid expansion. I kind of feel there would be more support for Obamacare if this were the case.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hollismason posted:

I'm trying to calculate it but how many people would be insured if all states were required to implement Medicaid expansion. I kind of feel there would be more support for Obamacare if this were the case.

The original CBO scores before medicare got screwed and governors decided to gently caress everything over.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

I honestly believe that if the Medicaid expansion had not been messed with by SCOTUS, Obamacare would have been far more popular

Interesting fact: Breyer and Kagan joined the part that found the Medicaid expansion conditions too coercive under the spending clause

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

FizFashizzle posted:

That guy turned out to be a former russian soldier with accusations of hacking against him. They claimed he was there just to translate.

Then there was another translator.

that lobbyist is akmetshin. we are still waiting on the 8th, and they are most likely not a translator

kushner
manafort
don jr
veselnitskaya (lawyer)
goldstone (broker)
akmetshin (spy)
samachornov (translator)
mystery

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/15/politics/russia-donald-trump-jr-meeting/index.html

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/342200-meet-the-people-in-the-room-during-trump-jrs-russia-meeting

Efb

skylined! fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 17, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

RiggenBlaque posted:

So full disclosure, I mostly take a break from this thread over the weekend and only passingly check the news, but am I right in thinking that Adam Goldman's tweet Friday afternoon about the 8th person in attendance at the Jr meeting still hasn't come to fruition?

Yep. guillotine

As far as I'm concerned, the punishment for journalists who pull that poo poo should be the same as the punishment for rich assholes: DEATH BY GUILLOTINE.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Glazier posted:

If I ever got to ask him a question in a public forum, I'm going to see how long I can talk about a He-Man episode before he catches on.

"Governor, reports say you have discovered the location of a starseed and are attempting to use it to gain ultimate power. Do you think He-Man will get to it first and complcate your plans?"

please tape it if you do

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Buffer posted:

The last one that came up that percolated up to me was drug addicts need the threat of jail time for recovery(just follow the thread) -
https://twitter.com/spacekatgal/status/839123358113542144

Wikipedia sez about Drug Courts:

"Drug courts are problem-solving courts that take a public health approach using a specialized model in which the judiciary, prosecution, defense bar, probation, law enforcement, mental health, social service, and treatment communities work together to help addicted offenders into long-term recovery."

So... she wants drug addicts to be given treatment? loving monster bitch, hang her. Death is too good!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

WampaLord posted:

This is what I have ended up doing, and while it works okay as practical advice for an individual for avoiding the penalty, it's clearly not to be the "intended" solution for me.

Also it doesn't solve the problem of giving me actual access to healthcare.

No reason to lie. If you would have qualified for expanded medicaid in a state that did not expand medicaid, then the only way you would be subject to the fine would be if the cheapest bronze plan was somehow less than 8% if your income, which is just not going to be the case.

People thought of this already immediately after the Supreme Court ruled and went "OMG, poor people are gonna get fined", and the Obama administration immediately said "yeah no, we're changing the rules to exempt them."

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

pacmania90 posted:

It's not fair to blame most people for not buying health insurance under Obamacare. For many of them, the plans offered to them were simply unaffordable; and when these people were then penalized for not having enough money to buy insurance, it's totally understandable why they would hate Obamacare and want to see it repealed.

I agree but a lot of that comes down to sticker shock and not really understanding long term costs and things. It's sort of like how when Bush enacted his tax cut and people got a $500 check. They can SEE that and FEEL it and buy a PS4 or something or go to a steakhouse, but when Obama's tax cut went through it was like $25 a week in your check so no one really noticed. Republican politicians know this so if they magically reduce premiums and deductables, most people will only see that and think they won. Until they go to use it or make a claim. It's like those auto insurance companies that offer insurance in name only. They don't cover poo poo.

And unless they ever really get hit with something that requires an insurance claim payout (flood, surgery, fire), the tendency for most people is to think they got ripped off and convince themselves that they can just cancel their $150/month premiums or whatever and sock that money away but they never do that. I mean, poo poo, most conservatives I know genuinely think that SS is a Ponzi scheme.

People don't understand how insurance and risk pools work - the same way they don''t understand progressive taxation - but they SHOULD and that's what baffles me. For instance, Republican pay things like HOA fees, probably disproportionately, because they understand the value of a community pool, a community playground and general landscaping and maintenance and when the rec center needs a new roof or a sinkhole appears in the cul de sac of course no ONE PERSON is gonna pay for it.

But the older I get, the more I realize that the republican conservative mantra is basically "every man woman and child for themselves". Maybe they're right but I still naively cling to the idea of a collective reality; that we're all in this together. Scariest thing to me is that the GOP has managed to convince the "losers" that everything is the fault of people with even less money and power than they have. It's like baking a pie, giving 90% of it to one person and convincing the remaining 10% to bitch about who got a bigger piece of whatever was left and convincing them it makes a loving difference.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

skylined! posted:

that lobbyist is akmetshin. we are still waiting on the 8th, and they are most likely not a translator

kushner
manafort
don jr
veselnitskaya (lawyer)
goldstone (broker)
akmetshin (spy)
samachornov (translator)
mystery

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/15/politics/russia-donald-trump-jr-meeting/index.html

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/342200-meet-the-people-in-the-room-during-trump-jrs-russia-meeting

Efb

I'm kind of curious how the MSM keeps referencing the 8th person and then immediately changing the subject. One would think something like this would provide fodder for panels to endlessly mull over- asking 30 ndifferent varieties of " who could the 8th person be and what does it mean"? Instead they blithely reference the 8th person before moving on to the next item- as if they were specifying how they wanted their order cooked to a server.

Considering how the MSM has so far played this meeting out to inflict maximum damage to the Trump administration I wonder if this is an extension of that strategy? As in perhaps they do know who the 8th person is (and perhaps the 9th and 10th as well) but are withholding the name for the moment because it will inflict more damage/generate more headlines on down the way?

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 17, 2017

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hollismason posted:

I thought somebody said 10 million in this thread.

Rigel posted:

No reason to lie. If you would have qualified for expanded medicaid in a state that did not expand medicaid, then the only way you would be subject to the fine would be if the cheapest bronze plan was somehow less than 8% if your income, which is just not going to be the case.

People thought of this already immediately after the Supreme Court ruled and went "OMG, poor people are gonna get fined", and the Obama administration immediately said "yeah no, we're changing the rules to exempt them."

Does that exemption have any measurable impact on the cost of risk in the insured pool? I.e, the thing the penalty was intended to address?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/886942831734120449

My favorite voter is the "Trump's actions are damaging to the Presidency"/"I Approve of his job performance" voter.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

"Drug courts are problem-solving courts that take a public health approach using a specialized model in which the judiciary, prosecution, defense bar, probation, law enforcement, mental health, social service, and treatment communities work together to help addicted offenders into long-term recovery."

So... she wants drug addicts to be given treatment? loving monster bitch, hang her. Death is too good!

Treatment would take place in a prison. An American prison at that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well, I meant obviously aside from the people who were dying. I think Hospice does great work and they provided my Grandmother and my step mother a tremendous service. Most everyone I know who's had to deal with a terminally ill family member speak very highly of hospice care as well. I know when my number is up, just give me all the morphine I desire and let me go to sleep.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 17, 2017

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

mcmagic posted:

My favorite voter is the "Trump's actions are damaging to the Presidency"/"I Approve of his job performance" voter.

Nihilism's a helluva drug

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

mcmagic posted:

There's that Michael Moore video in which he says that the reason so many people want(ed) Trump to win was because he was a hand grenade thrown into politics. The system was broken, it screwed over the little guy, and they knew Trump would be terrible and gently caress everything up, and that's exactly why they voted him in. They didn't want even a Cruz or someone who represented their beliefs to be voted in, they wanted the guy to come in and just ruin everything because gently caress you, the system crashed the banks and is only self-serving. Basically this was the "acquit OJ as a punishment to the LAPD" equivalent except it was to the entire American Political System.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Furnaceface posted:

Treatment would take place in a prison. An American prison at that.

That isn't what drug courts are or what drug courts do. I know quite a few people who are walking around free and clean instead of being incarcerated because of drug courts. Drug courts work pretty hard to avoid incarceration and usually use the threat of incarceration to compel attendance in a rehab program. You usually have to screw up pretty bad (I've seen relapses forgiven) several times in order to wind up in prison through a drug court.

Edit: Drug courts are an alternative for people who are already involved with the justice system for one reason or another and have substance-related offenses. The substance-related portion of their offenses are turned over to the drug courts as a way to avoid incarceration and promote rehabilitation. In a perfect world we wouldn;t need drug courts but holy poo poo they are a vast improvement over the existing system.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 17, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

PerniciousKnid posted:

Does that exemption have any measurable impact on the cost of risk in the insured pool? I.e, the thing the penalty was intended to address?

I have no idea.

I think you jumped halfway into this particular conversation and got confused. Someone said that because their state decided not to expand medicaid, they are now subject to the fine and have to lie on their taxes. I simply told them they were flat-out wrong, and they are exempt from the penalty.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

I'm kind of curious how the MSM keeps referencing the 8th person and then immediately changing the subject. One would think something like this would provide fodder for panels to endlessly mull over- asking 30 ndifferent varieties of " who could the 8th person be and what does it mean"? Instead they blithely reference the 8th person before moving on to the next item- as if they were specifying how they wanted their order cooked to a server.

Considering how the MSM has so far played this meeting out to inflict maximum damage to the Trump administration I wonder if this is an extension of that strategy? As in perhaps they do know who the 8th person is (and perhaps the 9th and 10th as well) but are withholding the name for the moment because it will inflict more damage/generate more headlines on down the way?

they all know who it's speculated as being already and it's either nobody recognizable or someone is collectively asking them not to reveal for legal reasons

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

But the older I get, the more I realize that the republican conservative mantra is basically "every man woman and child for themselves". Maybe they're right but I still naively cling to the idea of a collective reality; that we're all in this together. Scariest thing to me is that the GOP has managed to convince the "losers" that everything is the fault of people with even less money and power than they have. It's like baking a pie, giving 90% of it to one person and convincing the remaining 10% to bitch about who got a bigger piece of whatever was left and convincing them it makes a loving difference.

Scary but clever. Right-wing politics always seems to require scapegoating. The "people with less money and power" are generally of a different race to them. When white people fall on hard times (like in former factory towns, or victims of drug addiction) they don't get to be the target of the scapegoating.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I agree but a lot of that comes down to sticker shock and not really understanding long term costs and things. It's sort of like how when Bush enacted his tax cut and people got a $500 check. They can SEE that and FEEL it and buy a PS4 or something or go to a steakhouse, but when Obama's tax cut went through it was like $25 a week in your check so no one really noticed. Republican politicians know this so if they magically reduce premiums and deductables, most people will only see that and think they won. Until they go to use it or make a claim. It's like those auto insurance companies that offer insurance in name only. They don't cover poo poo.

And unless they ever really get hit with something that requires an insurance claim payout (flood, surgery, fire), the tendency for most people is to think they got ripped off and convince themselves that they can just cancel their $150/month premiums or whatever and sock that money away but they never do that. I mean, poo poo, most conservatives I know genuinely think that SS is a Ponzi scheme.

People don't understand how insurance and risk pools work - the same way they don''t understand progressive taxation - but they SHOULD and that's what baffles me. For instance, Republican pay things like HOA fees, probably disproportionately, because they understand the value of a community pool, a community playground and general landscaping and maintenance and when the rec center needs a new roof or a sinkhole appears in the cul de sac of course no ONE PERSON is gonna pay for it.

People are horrifically bad at long-term thinking and planning, especially when you throw in numbers. You can offer someone $500 now or $25/week in perpetuity and a whole shitload of people will take the first. It's an issue with general innumeracy in our society and how we educate people on math. Part of the problem is we've allowed people to cop out with the "I'm not a numbers guy/girl, I'm not good at math, etc." excuse. No one is innately good at stuff, you have to practice a ton to get good at it. You don't see people giving the sorts of excuses we see with math about say, reading/writing.

We should spend less time on things like calculus in high school and more on probability/statistics because to the average person calculus is just some neat math tricks, while the prob/stat stuff will actually have an impact on their life.

I mean poo poo, you have people who to this day don't understand how interest works.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I'd like to see Trump's approval ratings in competitive states and congressional districts because I don't really give a poo poo about places that aren't realistically going to flip to Democrats.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Those voters wish literally any other republican was president, but they'll take Trump over any Democrat, and they approve of Trump because Gorsuch saved the nation from damnation.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rigel posted:

I have no idea.

I think you jumped halfway into this particular conversation and got confused. Someone said that because their state decided not to expand medicaid, they are now subject to the fine and have to lie on their taxes. I simply told them they were flat-out wrong, and they are exempt from the penalty.

And again, that only solves half of my problem. I still don't have healthcare.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mind_Taker posted:

I'd like to see Trump's approval ratings in competitive states and congressional districts because I don't really give a poo poo about places that aren't realistically going to flip to Democrats.

Trump's disapproval in Iowa has jumped a lot and a majority of Iowans now disapprove.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...cent/480236001/

Iowa was not very competitive in 2016, so Trump would likely lose pretty badly if he ran today against a mythical generic democrat.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 17, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

WampaLord posted:

And again, that only solves half of my problem. I still don't have healthcare.

True. I was not interested in addressing that problem, because there's only so much I, a mere poster on a dead gay comedy forum, can do. But I was able to answer your income tax filing question.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

Best guess is one of two options: It's a nobody, a personal assistant or something, but the media is teasing it because they are hoping for the administration to make another dumb denial or statement. Or, it's a really big somebody, the type that you need to get multiple sources to confirm before you can run the story.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

axeil posted:

People are horrifically bad at long-term thinking and planning. You can offer someone $500 now or $25/week in perpetuity and a whole shitload of people will take the first. It's an issue with general innumeracy in our society and how we educate people on math. We should spend less time on things like calculus in high school and more on probability/statistics because to the average person calculus is just some neat math tricks, while the prob/stat stuff will actually have an impact on their life.

I mean poo poo, you have people who to this day don't understand how interest works.

Interest and taxes. My dad and brother to this day still don't fully understand how marginal tax brackets work and think in some cases as you earn more, you actually take home less.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 17, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

WampaLord posted:

A big issue for me, living in a state where our governor denied Medicaid funding, is that I have literally no access to healthcare while unemployed, and yet I will be fined on my taxes for not buying healthcare anyway.

I am extremely not a fan of the ACA. I realized my problem is ultimately Rick Scott's fault, but if the ACA was a stronger bill, he wouldn't have the option to deny funding in the first place.

Hey, fellow Floridian person. I recently lost my job too and right now have no healthcare insurance at all. Weird thing was, even when I had it, I basically had no TIME to visit the doctor anyway. I have mental health and addiction issues (as well as some physical ones) but don't know a lot of treatment facilities that offer weekend and evening hours that could cater to my schedule. My job was real funny about me missing 2 hours during a day to go seek mental counseling and now that I have the time, I can't afford the visits and they won't renew meds without seeing me.

So it's a nasty loving loop and just one more argument for things like flexible hours (and of course UHC) but if your work experience in FL is anything like mine, you MUST be at work at 7:30, take your lunch exactly from 12-12:45 and punch out precisely at 4:15. Doesn't matter if you have an hour commute and you have to pick up your 6 year old son by 5 or anything.

But at least I'm "free" to "choose", such as it is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone know anything about the Dem primary for the ALA senate seat? It seems like the GOP primary is a fight to see who is the most batshit insane Trumpist.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pretty much the entire Democratic caucus wants to improve the ACA, but they also know Republicans will continue to refuse to make any positive improvement to the ACA for as long as they can.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I'm actually curious how a hypothetical Single Payer Law would have gone over the eight years of GOP sabotage that followed. The ACA alone had to survive two Supreme Court challenges, arguably only limping through because insurance companies and hospitals had a stake in challenging the GOP's suits against it. Having single payer enacted and then overturned or broken right after congress swings right and makes further reform impossible was a real possibility that could have left us even worse off.

That seems a relevant thing to ponder since anything any Democrat does in the next 30 years is going to be overturned on the slightest pretense, so we'll probably have to cloak most reforms in the guise of "empowering the states" or long-established mechanisms that have already weathered legal sieges.

I'm kinda drifting toward pushing "Medicaid Buy In" as public option in what states Democrats manage to take control and then shoehorning those as proof of concepts for a future sane administration to quietly strengthen those programs wherever possible. Eventually, the public option could supplant most private insurance through sheer efficiency and gradual increases in popularity.

I'd push my state legislature to go for this, but it's redder than a particularly embarrassed Devil and twice as spiteful.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Mind_Taker posted:

Interest and taxes. My dad and brother to this day still don't fully understand how marginal tax brackets work and think in some cases as you earn more, you actually take home less.

Did it ever work that way? I used to think that, too (when I was very young) and I assume someone must have told me that. Perhaps it worked that way in the past.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

SgtScruffy posted:

There's that Michael Moore video in which he says that the reason so many people want(ed) Trump to win was because he was a hand grenade thrown into politics. The system was broken, it screwed over the little guy, and they knew Trump would be terrible and gently caress everything up, and that's exactly why they voted him in. They didn't want even a Cruz or someone who represented their beliefs to be voted in, they wanted the guy to come in and just ruin everything because gently caress you, the system crashed the banks and is only self-serving. Basically this was the "acquit OJ as a punishment to the LAPD" equivalent except it was to the entire American Political System.

This is simplistic and it panders to the notion that someone must be to blame for everything bad, that it was intentional and cleverly planned. If a significant number of people actually went to the polls and voted Trump because they are closet Accelerationists, they'd be talking about it, because if there's one thing a smug Accelerationist likes to do, it's tell you how loving rad their anime-shaped worldview is.

e: Not to say none of these people exist, GBS is proof that they do, but if they were more than 1% of Trump voters I would be greatly surprised :shrug:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mind_Taker posted:

This is one of those things I always want PPP to poll as one of their "extra" question sets. Once at a party I polled ten graduate students in the hard sciences, and not a single one gave the correct answer to a T/F about earning more and taking home less.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

BarbarianElephant posted:

So what other addictions should we criminalize and jail offenders for not rehabilitating? Alcoholism? Anorexia? I mean, it works for drug addicts, right?

Xombie fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rigel posted:

Trump's disapproval in Iowa has jumped a lot and a majority of Iowans now disapprove.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...cent/480236001/

Iowa was not very competitive in 2016, so Trump would likely lose pretty badly if he ran today against a mythical generic democrat.

There's an interesting anecdote in that article, which suggests that Trump's disapproval rating should be taken with a bit of a grain of salt:

quote:

Poll respondent Ellen Pieper is among those disapproving of the president's performance so far. The independent from Waukee voted for Trump and said she still believes in his ideas and qualifications. It’s how he behaves that bothers her.

“He’s trying to move the country in the right direction, but his personality is getting in the way,” she said, calling out his use of Twitter in particular. “He’s a bright man, and I believe he has great ideas for getting the country back on track, but his approach needs some polish.”

Still, Pieper says, she’d vote for him again today.

• Locked thread