Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Word on twitter yesterday is that it'll be a suspension for weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Good to see he's falling in with Cowboys culture

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If Huff was pulled over on the other side of the bridge, he would have faced a lot less trouble

Yeah, I'm not really sure why so many athletes live on the Jersey side. Like I understand the Walt Whitman bridge is right there at the stadiums, but why risk River Authority and New Jersey cops? And pay higher taxes? And get arrested for a bag of weed when it would just be a ticket in Philly?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

Word on twitter yesterday is that it'll be a suspension for weed

Suspending a player for weed after he's been investigated for a year for domestic violence sounds like the kind of move the NFL would make.

forgive me if that was the joke you were making and it sailed over my head.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

Suspending a player for weed after he's been investigated for a year for domestic violence sounds like the kind of move the NFL would make.

forgive me if that was the joke you were making and it sailed over my head.

No joke; that's what I heard and I agree, it's exactly the type of action the NFL would take. Though a suspension for weed implies he's already failed at least one drug test.

It makes no sense that the NFL's investigation into the domestic abuse incident has continued this far, given that the DA dropped the case after witnesses at the claim refuted the alleged victim's testimony and evidence was produced showing the alleged victim asked a friend to lie for her. Which isn't to say that Zeke never assaulted her (though admittedly it looks less likely), but it does suggest that this particular assault didn't occur. Then again, according to an ABC report this week:

ABC News posted:

Multiple sources close to the situation told Schefter that Elliott could face a one- or two-game suspension, but the league has denied that any decision on discipline has been made, and says it could not be made until its investigation is complete.

"The NFL is looking to pin something on him," one source familiar with the investigation said.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Very smart of the NFL to desperately find a way to suspend one of their star breakout players

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Too bad players like Ezekiel Elliott and Odell Beckham Jr. can't find Jesus like Carson Wentz.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

blue squares posted:

Very smart of the NFL to desperately find a way to suspend one of their star breakout players

If they don't come down on him you're going to have another Odell Beckham/Von Miller/Aldon Smith situation where he continually Kramers around until poo poo gets real. They want him to be a star, not arrested.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

If they don't come down on him you're going to have another Odell Beckham/Von Miller/Aldon Smith situation where he continually Kramers around until poo poo gets real. They want him to be a star, not arrested.

The suspensions are for his benefit people.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Sickening posted:

The suspensions are for his benefit people.

Worked for Tom Brady

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Worked for Tom Brady

I am certain that there is nothing in this world that could improve tom brady's life at this point.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Sickening posted:

I am certain that there is nothing in this world that could improve tom brady's life at this point.

Blitz for six

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

blue squares posted:

Maybe he should stop smoking weed and hitting his girlfriend? :shrug:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Anyone with a brain knows that weed is great and should be legal, but if you are getting paid millions of bucks maybe just stop smoking Josh Gordon amounts of weed and stick to the system that all the other guys use to smoke around testing times.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 16, 2017

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

No joke; that's what I heard and I agree, it's exactly the type of action the NFL would take. Though a suspension for weed implies he's already failed at least one drug test.

It makes no sense that the NFL's investigation into the domestic abuse incident has continued this far, given that the DA dropped the case after witnesses at the claim refuted the alleged victim's testimony and evidence was produced showing the alleged victim asked a friend to lie for her. Which isn't to say that Zeke never assaulted her (though admittedly it looks less likely), but it does suggest that this particular assault didn't occur. Then again, according to an ABC report this week:

Yeah I mean I'm not pro-Cowboys but if the dude hit his gf then he either did and should get the full 6 games, or he didn't, and shouldn't get anything.

I dunno what Goodell is trying to do with this "oh we'll give him 2 on some trumped-up other thing"

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

a new study bible! posted:

Anyone with a brain knows that weed is great and should be legal, but if you are getting paid millions of bucks maybe just stop smoking Josh Gordon amounts of weed and stick to the system that all the other guys use to smoke around testing times.

What is Josh Gordon amounts of weed? I'm just curious?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Flikken posted:

What is Josh Gordon amounts of weed? I'm just curious?

Enough to get you busted by the NFL, obviously.

I don't follow the policy changes enough to know if things have drastically changed, but it used to be that the NFL only tested for weed in the late spring and summer for like 3 months total in the calendar year. Once you get bopped then they will test randomly and more frequently. What the NFL did to Josh Gordon is hosed up though and I am against flushing a dude's career because he likes weed, but if a potential-league-MVP-level talent who plays on a division rival wants to smoke during test times, I can only muster so much sympathy if he gets suspended.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

a new study bible! posted:

Enough to get you busted by the NFL, obviously.

I don't follow the policy changes enough to know if things have drastically changed, but it used to be that the NFL only tested for weed in the late spring and summer for like 3 months total in the calendar year. Once you get bopped then they will test randomly and more frequently. What the NFL did to Josh Gordon is hosed up though and I am against flushing a dude's career because he likes weed, but if a potential-league-MVP-level talent who plays on a division rival wants to smoke during test times, I can only muster so much sympathy if he gets suspended.

Ok here it is

First offense was in College, entered the NFL in the stage 2 testing program where they get tested 10 times a month.

1st NFL offense, codeine in cough syrup, in February. 4 game suspension reduced to 2 games.

2nd NFL offense. 1st positive weed test, tested at low enough level that no organization outside of the NFL would recognize it as a positive test(likely from being around weed being smoked but not smoking it himself) The level was so low that if they tested his second sample first he would have passed.
Permanent Ban Later reduced to 8 games after Wes Welker got suspended for Moly and that got overturned.

3rd NFL offense, DUI

2 game Suspension attached to previous 8 game suspension and prohibition of consuming Alchohol during the NFL league year,

4th NFL offense.

Drank on a plane to vegas after week 17 Browns game, Permanent Ban has never returned.

The Josh Gordon situation is so stupid and it illustrates how bad the NFL substance abuse program is.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Headline is "Cousins open to long-term contract after season"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20081141/kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-open-deal-season

translation: Kirk Cousins is not doing a deal now before the deadline to sign franchise tagged players to long term deals so this is almost certainly his last year as a Redskin.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Flikken posted:

Ok here it is

First offense was in College, entered the NFL in the stage 2 testing program where they get tested 10 times a month.

1st NFL offense, codeine in cough syrup, in February. 4 game suspension reduced to 2 games.

2nd NFL offense. 1st positive weed test, tested at low enough level that no organization outside of the NFL would recognize it as a positive test(likely from being around weed being smoked but not smoking it himself) The level was so low that if they tested his second sample first he would have passed.
Permanent Ban Later reduced to 8 games after Wes Welker got suspended for Moly and that got overturned.

3rd NFL offense, DUI

2 game Suspension attached to previous 8 game suspension and prohibition of consuming Alchohol during the NFL league year,

4th NFL offense.

Drank on a plane to vegas after week 17 Browns game, Permanent Ban has never returned.

The Josh Gordon situation is so stupid and it illustrates how bad the NFL substance abuse program is.

Yeah, the way the NFL railroaded Josh Gordon is unfair and stupid.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NotWearingPants posted:

Headline is "Cousins open to long-term contract after season"

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20081141/kirk-cousins-washington-redskins-open-deal-season

translation: Kirk Cousins is not doing a deal now before the deadline to sign franchise tagged players to long term deals so this is almost certainly his last year as a Redskin.

I don't blame him. Barring a career ending injury he has all the reason to let this play out on the open market. Washington can still tag him and match any offer that's provided, or they can part ways and Cousins becomes the face of whoever wins in a bidding war between LA and SF.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't blame him. Barring a career ending injury he has all the reason to let this play out on the open market. Washington can still tag him and match any offer that's provided, or they can part ways and Cousins becomes the face of whoever wins in a bidding war between LA and SF.

He's still made a fuckload of money. It's a good gamble.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm so ready to put this discussion to bed as much as it continues to amuse me.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

He's still made a fuckload of money. It's a good gamble.

Absolutely, especially given how many people think quarterbacks are being severely underpaid relative to their value on the team. Cousins hitting the free market could transform the pay scale.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think they transition tag him for $29m and take the picks if someone else tries to sign him.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MrLogan posted:

I think they transition tag him for $29m and take the picks if someone else tries to sign him.

The transition tag doesn't include compensation. Either he gets paid that $29M, or someone else provides an offer that Washington has to match. If Kirk leaves Washington gets nothing.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The transition tag doesn't include compensation. Either he gets paid that $29M, or someone else provides an offer that Washington has to match. If Kirk leaves Washington gets nothing.

It works wonderfully well for player retention. See Alex Mack.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You're right. I was thinking of the non-exclusive franchise tag.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Kirk is too cool for Washington.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
Elliot involved in incident at Dallas bar

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

"an incident"

That is vague as gently caress. Did he punch someone? Spill his drink? Forget to wash his hands?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It was Elliott so he probably smoked a bunch of weed and punched a woman.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

axeil posted:

"an incident"

That is vague as gently caress. Did he punch someone? Spill his drink? Forget to wash his hands?

Sports radio is saying he knocked out a bouncer. Its local, so I am sure the bouncer and club get a discreet payday and that is that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

quote:

According to the Dallas Police Department, officers were dispatched to the bar around 9:40 p.m. A 30-year-old man said he was physically assaulted but could not identify who assaulted him. The man was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

A Dallas Police spokesperson said no arrests or suspects have been reported in connection with the incident, which was first reported by 105.3 FM The Fan in Dallas. The investigation is ongoing, according to police.

Hm yes this is a good reason to suspend someone

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Yes, he's kept his nose so clean too!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

Hm yes this is a good reason to suspend someone

*football player at a bar where someone gets punched*

HE MUST'VE DONE IT WITH HIS HERCULEAN STRENGTH DESPITE NOT ACTUALLY EVEN BEING AROUND THE DUDE

*suspended 100 games*

Zeke might be a shithead, but there should be some actual due process around this stuff.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

axeil posted:

Zeke might be a shithead, but there should be some actual due process around this stuff.

That's fair but have you considered gently caress da' Cowboys?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Quiet Feet posted:

That's fair but have you considered gently caress da' Cowboys?

https://twitter.com/maxp23/status/886808294953820161

this tweet is all the evidence i need. better suspend him rog

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 17, 2017

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

corn on the cop posted:

https://twitter.com/maxp23/status/886808294953820161

this tweet is all the evidence i need. better suspend him rog

After checking this dude's twitter profile, this is clearly a false flag operation led by a secret Giants fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's almost like suspending Tom Brady has ushered in a new standard for player suspensions. Zeke hasn't earned any trust with his nightlife after St. Patrick's Day, so I'm not surprised by this turn of events in the slightest.

Don't think he did anything last night, mind you; I just get the feeling that he is not going to stop getting into trouble.

• Locked thread