Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Remember all the missing persons flyers you find in the city hubs, comments about people disappearing and reports of missing women on police computers?

Yeah.

edit: Update on the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Quotin' for new page.

Soooo much hate for those scanning "hidden" load screens.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, Tiffany's accent just feels INCREDIBLY fake.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
You were referring to the Milgram experiments, no? Well, funny thing about the Milgram experiments. The one thing they proved, was not that people were likely to follow orders, but that they were more likely to agree to inflict pain up to a certain point if they were doing it for what the subject felt was moral reasons. When Milgram was giving the last prod, as an order, something like: "The experiment requires you to continue", every single participant flat-out refused to comply. People won't follow orders that go against their sense of morality. :eng101:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

You were referring to the Milgram experiments, no? Well, funny thing about the Milgram experiments. The one thing they proved, was not that people were likely to follow orders, but that they were more likely to agree to inflict pain up to a certain point if they were doing it for what the subject felt was moral reasons. When Milgram was giving the last prod, as an order, something like: "The experiment requires you to continue", every single participant flat-out refused to comply. People won't follow orders that go against their sense of morality. :eng101:

That's not the version of the experiment I remember reading about. In fact, the original version had so many test subjects reach the end without objection that it was distressing and led to ethical changes in experimentation parameters. The key factor, as shown in further experiments, was how much the subject was willing to sublimate their sense of personal responsibility based on the presence and assumed authority of the test giver. Changes like having the test giver not wear a lab coat and having the test giver stand a dozen feet away instead of right behind the subject were enough to cause many more subjects to refuse to complete the test.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That's not the version of the experiment I remember reading about. In fact, the original version had so many test subjects reach the end without objection that it was distressing and led to ethical changes in experimentation parameters. The key factor, as shown in further experiments, was how much the subject was willing to sublimate their sense of personal responsibility based on the presence and assumed authority of the test giver. Changes like having the test giver not wear a lab coat and having the test giver stand a dozen feet away instead of right behind the subject were enough to cause many more subjects to refuse to complete the test.

Huh. I'll have to dig up my sources.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DEATH TO LP SUBFORUM
LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH BOBBIN

schnibs
Jan 10, 2006
I know this corner of the earth, it smiles at me
This one perhaps?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I seem to recall one variant in which there are two operators, one the test subject and the other another actor, and the actor was directed to voice objection to the test giver upon sufficient escalation of the test. I believe the results were in that scenario, the test subject always refused to continue the test.

Really illustrates the importance of having the courage to stand up to immoral authority figures, especially publicly.

That one's more about people's willingness to assume given roles in a situation, especially if perceived power dynamics, real or not, are involved.

And also why we now have strict ethics guidelines for psychological experiments.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I seem to recall one variant in which there are two operators, one the test subject and the other another actor, and the actor was directed to voice objection to the test giver upon sufficient escalation of the test. I believe the results were in that scenario, the test subject always refused to continue the test.

Really illustrates the importance of having the courage to stand up to immoral authority figures, especially publicly.

10% obedience, not 0%. But don't take my word for it.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

That's really interesting. And not at all what dr. David Buss and so on is saying in this Radiolab episode: http://www.radiolab.org/story/180103-whos-bad/

Yes, I know it's not the best source in the world, but still. My original source was a Norwegian book on criminology and I can't be assed to translate it, as I have an exam coming up.

Edit: Hang on, now I get it. We're talking past each other, I think? My point was that when Milgram was forced to deliver his fourth prod, "You have no other choice but to continue", none of the "teachers" were comfortable with continuing. That's where I get my 0% figure from. But Milgram did not have to go as far as using his 4th prod on all the "teachers". When milgram was forced to use his fourth prod, obedience fell to 0% across the board. That's what I meant.

Your source on simply psychology doesn't really go into the (in my opinion) interesting statistics, like how many of the different prods did each participant get on average? Were there any participants who were not prodded at all? Your source references Milgram's conclusion on "blind obedience" but fails to bring up the fact that once a participant was given a direct order, I.E. "you have no choice", they were unlikely to go through with it.

The article literally only says: "
65% (two-thirds) of participants (i.e. teachers) continued to the highest level of 450 volts. All the participants continued to 300 volts."

And then concludes. What the gently caress?

Condoleezza Nice! fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 21, 2017

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

How much longer is the DLC content? I'm having a hard time getting into it and I can't figure out why.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

How much longer is the DLC content? I'm having a hard time getting into it and I can't figure out why.

There's this and one more video.

Book: The Intelligence Circuit
News: Biotech Industry Debate
Book: Nano-Augmentation
Book: Synthetic Thought: Can a Machine?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The trauma kit has morphine, which can be used to put someone out of their misery *cough*

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What baffled me was how they got a pallet lifter into the elevator shaft. There's no way to get it in, no way to get it out, even with a ladder. Goddamn.

I also want to know what the hell is up with Quinn's cybernetic modifications. Why would you have a face aug/prosthetic that literally only involves a circular part of the center of the face?

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Just to remind people: the strange white clothing the victims / O-C-M humans-as-parts are wearing ? You've seen it before, in the office/workspace of a certain CEO.

It's kind of weird seeing the DLC reveal at this point in time, since it reverses the order in which some stuff gets shown in the original game + standalone DLC.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Considering the abundance of Praxis kits you have, I'm surprised you didn't use the 'Speech' one, who real name escapes me, on Quin in the shop there. Also useful later on when you speak to Quin again. He'll make reference to your previous attempts of doing so.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

CASIS.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Well, CASIE - I remember because characters pronounce it like the name "Casey" when mentioning it.

You know I've never heard of The Giver before - maybe it's not a big thing in Australia? The story summary reminded me of Equilibrium though, in which everyone is legally required to take drugs to inhibit emotion - because emotion is apparently the sole cause of war, conflict, crime, etc. Also everyone dresses like they're doing The Matrix cosplay and "gun kata" features heavily - it's a pretty silly movie.

Anyway, I'm currently playing Mankind Divided through for the first time, and Bobbin, if you ever do an LP of it, I don't know how you'd manage your usual thing of talking to everyone and listening in on all/most of the conversations. In certain parts there are literal crowds of people all talking and holding their own conversations at once, it's nuts.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Email: RE: RE: Oi
Email: Loading Bay 1 Turret
Email: Orion Insta-Messaging Autosave
Email: Exfiltration ASAP
Email: RE: RE: Heads
Email: FW: Adam Jensen
PS: *** Addendum: Serpent Crash ***
Email: Orion Insta-Messaging Autosave
Email: RE: RE: Confirmation of Shipment

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
So another Irishman turned out to have ulterior motives and be a mole for another organization after all.

Was Quinn talking to Daedalus at the end there?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I would guess that he's talking to a character that's a big plot point in Mankind Divided but who I did not recall even being hinted at in Human Revolution. Because I never played the DLC. I could be wrong, but that's my guess. The leader of the Juggernaut Collective, Janus. The organization Quinn describes very much sounds like them. Of course, Janus' identity is mysterious so it could be a mask for some character we're already familiar with. We'll probably never know now since there won't be any more Deus Ex anytime soon.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Actually, the identity of the character you mentioned got (accidentally?) spoiled through the DXMD artbook and guide - if you piece together some stuff from each.

Also, this DLC has a special place in my heart. Not only did I enjoy the mission a lot (aside from the loading scans) , but after finishing it the day it came out, at 7 am or something like that, and skipping the credits and crashing to get some sleep since I was really tired, I woke up finding messages from multiple people about actually being in the credits. Hah. :)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PS: Dorm Code
PS: Radar Tower Repairs
Email: rumors
Email: PRIORITY: Loading Bay-C Cleanup
PS: New Hardware
Email: (no subject)
Email: RE: (no subject)
Email: A simple favor (you should read this one)

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I have a bookshelf full of books that sort of fit the description of your hint, but I can't for the life of me think of which one could be the one that started the genre. If I even have it.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

malkav11 posted:

I would guess that he's talking to a character that's a big plot point in Mankind Divided but who I did not recall even being hinted at in Human Revolution. Because I never played the DLC. I could be wrong, but that's my guess. The leader of the Juggernaut Collective, Janus. The organization Quinn describes very much sounds like them. Of course, Janus' identity is mysterious so it could be a mask for some character we're already familiar with. We'll probably never know now since there won't be any more Deus Ex anytime soon.

The ending of Mankind Divided made the identity of Janus very obvious.

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 10, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It did?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

pun pundit posted:

I have a bookshelf full of books that sort of fit the description of your hint, but I can't for the life of me think of which one could be the one that started the genre. If I even have it.
Very likely Altered Carbon. It's such a large inspiration to Eclipse Phase that a lot of the in-universe terminology is similar if not identical.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

The ending of Mankind Divided made the identity of Janus very obvious.

I beat Mankind Divided and I have no idea, so I think "very obvious" is stretching it. Possibly there's some leading hint that I missed.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

one of the Illuminati guys mentions the name and the other Illuminati guy, the one the camera is solely focused on, makes a shifty face. It couldn't be more obvious without a flashback detailing they guy doing all the things Janus did.

genola
Apr 7, 2011
I love the triumphant music during the talk about alcohol. :guinness: :patriot:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cyberpunk Corner runs a little long this time since Altered Carbon is a long, complicated book.

Email: File 11478
Email: File 11473
Email: File 11481, 11482, 11483, 11484
Email: Sweep and Clean
Email: Dwayne
Book: The Shadow of Omega
Email: Omega Ranch Safety Policy and Regulation Reminder
Email: TR: Are you a scientist?
Email: Annual Interdepartmental Mensa Competition Reminder
Email: Concerning Chairs
Email: Urinalysis and Radiation Screening Reminder
Email: RE: Don't tell me you don't know
Email: The joke will be on YOU!
News: Key World Players to Visit Panchaea
Email: Test Results: Subject 521
PS: Colvin's Office Code
Email: RE: The New Arrivals
Email: Nigerian Spam
Book: Delgado and the Stimoceiver
Email: Heard about Jorian's breakthrough?
PS: Office Relocation
Email: RE: HELP!
Book: The Six Month War
Email: COURAGE, MY BOY!
Email: RE: Research Review?
PS: Last Warning
Email: Atlantic Quarterly

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Left the 2 chatty hallway guards alive and sleeping. Angel will have witnesses!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Edit:Nvm.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I feel like this was one of the harder parts of the game - at least until the DLC came along. Those early parts where you've been stripped of your equipment and augmentations can be brutal.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Re: prisons - whether storage makes sense as a prison alternative depends on your perspective on their purpose. You apparently feel they're there to inculcate remorse and rehabilitation. But in real life there are a lot of ways that prison doesn't actually achieve those sorts of goals with any consistency. So personally, I think the main purpose to which prison is actually suited is to keep that person out of general society, which sticking someone into storage achieves remarkably well. Too, while there are people in the world of Altered Carbon that live much longer than we do now (the Methuselahs that so drive the story), they are relatively rare and tend to be very wealthy. For everyone else, being taken out of the world for 50-100 years will quite possibly take you away from everyone you have ever known. So that's a pretty big gut punch there, if punishment is your aim.

Otherwise...I mean, I can understand wanting to know more about the things you mention but I'm not convinced that elaborating on them would have helped with the twisty cybernoir tale being told, and Morgan does riff further on the setting's ideas with the two sequels. (As well as exploring other genres. The concept is so flexible I would have liked him to keep doing different flavors of SF with Kovacs indefinitely but apparently he's not interested in doing any more.)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Whether prisons are effective is irrelevant; the stated purpose of imprisonment is to punish the guilty and time displacement is a much lighter and more pointless punishment than our current system. Plus it doesn't make sense even if you go full cynic, because you can't get any forced labor out of prisoners in storage, either.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Whether prisons are effective is irrelevant; the stated purpose of imprisonment is to punish the guilty and time displacement is a much lighter and more pointless punishment than our current system. Plus it doesn't make sense even if you go full cynic, because you can't get any forced labor out of prisoners in storage, either.

Maybe it's like the original version of the Matrix and the prisoners' brains are used for extra processing power?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

White Coke posted:

Maybe it's like the original version of the Matrix and the prisoners' brains are used for extra processing power?

Definitely not, since the only thing that's being stored is their digital consciousness - the actual bodies are rented out. And data != processing power.

Edit: Which incidentally does basically equate to or better forced labor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

The American prison system has a stated purpose of rehabilitation. It's terrible at it. The stated purpose is not what needs to change, it's the system.

The system in altered carbon is probably even less effective at that goal. Which makes me think it's deliberately set up that way by the author. The real goal of the system is probably time-displacing criminals out of the living memory of the crime in question. If the corporation that runs the prison can make some extra bucks out of bidding wars over sleeves, so much the better.

Time displacement is terrible at even keeping criminals out of society, because life expectancy doesn't change and so after the first sentences are completed all it does is swap past criminals in for current ones.

• Locked thread