Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think I meant less collaborating with other established artists, and more the flexibility and creativity you get from writing the songs. A good producer/engineer/etc. like Moulder is critical, but it seems like working with the same core group over and over produces some stuff that's distinctive NIN sound, but not necessarily because of Trent (like the aforementioned Robin Finck klaxon guitar sound). Compare that, to, for example, Hesitation Marks - despite recruiting a legendary musician like Adrian Belew, I think it's overall a fairly weak album, especially the guitar work. Belew's poo poo really felt kind of phoned-in, because AFAIK he never really had any interest or involvement in NIN before that.

I might be talking out of my rear end on this, but I really love the recent band lineups - Another Version of the Truth is probably the NIN album that gets the most airtime from me. I love what they do to the older stuff, especially. Like this version of The Big Come Down is loving amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ak15PpPX1c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Kelp Me! posted:

I think I meant less collaborating with other established artists, and more the flexibility and creativity you get from writing the songs. A good producer/engineer/etc. like Moulder is critical, but it seems like working with the same core group over and over produces some stuff that's distinctive NIN sound, but not necessarily because of Trent (like the aforementioned Robin Finck klaxon guitar sound). Compare that, to, for example, Hesitation Marks - despite recruiting a legendary musician like Adrian Belew, I think it's overall a fairly weak album, especially the guitar work. Belew's poo poo really felt kind of phoned-in, because AFAIK he never really had any interest or involvement in NIN before that.

I might be talking out of my rear end on this, but I really love the recent band lineups - Another Version of the Truth is probably the NIN album that gets the most airtime from me. I love what they do to the older stuff, especially. Like this version of The Big Come Down is loving amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ak15PpPX1c

Belew has worked with NIN previous to Hesitation Marks: http://www.nin.wiki/Adrian_Belew#Work_with_NIN

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

fallenturtle posted:

Belew has worked with NIN previous to Hesitation Marks: http://www.nin.wiki/Adrian_Belew#Work_with_NIN

Didn't know that! Looks like it was only 4 songs outside of Ghosts, though. Ghosts makes way more sense for him to be a part of, TBH. I think the interview quote from that link is somewhat relevant to my point, though:

quote:

"Trent [Reznor] and I were hoping to re-invent the band. As it turned out, when we got in rehearsals and everything started in earnest, it just didn’t go that way. In the end we were just learning each song exactly as it was on the record; within a couple of weeks it seemed like there wasn’t going to be any reinvention of the band, so why was I there?

They already had a great guitarist in Robin Finck, who’s been with Trent since 1993; he knows the material inside out, way better than I’d ever know it if you wanted exactly what was on the record. I didn’t feel being essentially a sideman was a role that I wanted to take at this point, and Trent agreed.

We were going to learn something like 55 songs; we’d learned 21 in two and a half weeks and it seemed like it wasn’t going anywhere new. That was only a disappointment inasmuch as I was looking forward to the challenge and going around the world in that kind of circumstance – but, at the same time, not that much as I really would prefer to be doing Flux!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It was an odd idea to begin with; I've heard that Belew actually doesn't know how to read music -- plus his guitar work is very much his "voice" and doesn't really sound like anyone else's. So it's hard to imagine him simply being added to a band and playing their songs when the band leader has a very specific idea of how the songs should sound. You have to expect the songs to get transformed.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
He did all the weird guitar riffs in Mr. Self Destruct too.

Porcupine Tree has a funny lyric that goes something like "I spend my days with all my friends...they're the ones on who my life depends...I'm gonna miss them when the series ends"

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 14, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

He did all the weird guitar riffs in Mr. Self Destruct too.

Porcupine Tree has a funny lyric that goes something like "I spend my days with all my friends...they're the ones on who my life depends...I'm gonna miss them when the series ends"

Yeah I like that line. Another good one is "Credit me with some intelligence (if not, just credit me)/I come in value packs of 10 (in 5 varieties)"

They're A Good Band.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
I want more pretty hate machine reworks

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
I have the impression that collaboration with Chris Vrenna made The Downward Spiral what it is and why it stands apart from the rest of the NIN albums.

I'm digging the new song. Something about the lyric 'did it fix what was wrong with you' and the delivery of chorus comes off as fresh and interesting.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody know if that video of Adrian Belew recording the weird guitar part for The Warning (or was it something from Ghosts) is still on YouTube?

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Skails posted:

I have the impression that collaboration with Chris Vrenna made The Downward Spiral what it is and why it stands apart from the rest of the NIN albums.

I'm digging the new song. Something about the lyric 'did it fix what was wrong with you' and the delivery of chorus comes off as fresh and interesting.

He apparently listened to hundreds of hours of movies on headphones to listen for samples. I know people love The Fragile, but TDS is peak NIN in my opinion.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Leon Einstein posted:

He apparently listened to hundreds of hours of movies on headphones to listen for samples. I know people love The Fragile, but TDS is peak NIN in my opinion.

Trent: Dude, we have an album to make, you're just in here watching loving movies all day.

Chris: Er...no dude, it's like...it's totally just, research! I'm doing research!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Some people reported issues with their discount code, but fwiw I was just able to use mine on ADD VIOLENCE physical component + digital (prob the cheapest thing in the store?) with no issues. Maybe the store was just getting hammered too hard the other day?

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Show in Bakersfield goes on sale at 10 for the I can't seem to wake up 2017 tour. https://www.axs.com/events/339151/nine-inch-nails-tickets

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
drat, another show I cant go to.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

glam rock hamhock posted:

That video made me pull the trigger and buy Polybus and it is really crazy.

I love jeff mintner's games. I played the living poo poo out of TxK on my vita

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Acethomas posted:

Show in Bakersfield goes on sale at 10 for the I can't seem to wake up 2017 tour. https://www.axs.com/events/339151/nine-inch-nails-tickets

Got my two tickets, one benefit of living in this godforsaken town.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Acethomas posted:

That's an amazingly bad name for a tour. All this political stuff is ringing hollow with me since he basically checked out in 2008.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
Can we discuss the political content here? Less than is obviously a call-out.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

repeating posted:

Can we discuss the political content here? Less than is obviously a call-out.

I think it's ambiguous enough that it could be a Trump callout, or not.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005
At least an indictment of the current climate.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oh of course it's a Trump call-out, he just kept it vague enough that it can be reused in 10 years if necessary. See also: "Suddenly very appropriate T-shirt"

Oh, did anyone stick around for the rest of the Zane Lowe interview last week? Because apparently, he discussed plans for an album after the 3 EPs which would actually be a combination of all of them, but possibly with different versions of the songs.

https://www.alternativenation.net/nine-inch-nails-reveal-plan-next-album-what-could-delay-it/

Trent Reznor posted:

That’s kind of the plan right now. I’m interested in the narrative, and the ways we can present that but feel provocative. Give songs their due, but set them in a place that gives them another bit of perception.

That’s where it is right now, conceptually it gets re-contextualized, all three EP’s, into something that is together, and feels like something different. It’s not just a mismash shuffle on the iPod, but a different relationship and different versions of the songs. That really depends on when it all gets finished, when the third EP comes to life, does that still hold up? I’m sharing kind of the creative process behind it right now, that’s my secret right there. Wing it, and see if it makes sense at the end, and pretend you had a plan all along.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sir Lemming posted:

Because apparently, he discussed plans for an album after the 3 EPs which would actually be a combination of all of them, but possibly with different versions of the songs.

https://www.alternativenation.net/nine-inch-nails-reveal-plan-next-album-what-could-delay-it/

This reminds me of Teargarden in Kaleidescope (or whatever it was called), which was Billy Corgan's grand plan for some sort of 44+ track album released in bits and pieces, and then after Oceania came out, that was that, and he moved on to something else. Except I believe Trent WILL actually do what he says he will, and also he's not a shithead. And I say this as a huge Pumpkins fan.

Why do you make it so hard for me to love you, Billy? :negative:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This reminds me of Teargarden in Kaleidescope (or whatever it was called), which was Billy Corgan's grand plan for some sort of 44+ track album released in bits and pieces, and then after Oceania came out, that was that, and he moved on to something else. Except I believe Trent WILL actually do what he says he will, and also he's not a shithead. And I say this as a huge Pumpkins fan.

Ha, I was thinking about that the other day, and wondering if it ever came to fruition. IDG(much of)AF about Pumpkins but I do like grand ridiculous album plans.

To me, Trent's plan seems actually like standard old-school NIN fare: if you consider the 3 EPs an album, then what he's talking about would basically be the usual follow-up remix album, wouldn't it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

Ha, I was thinking about that the other day, and wondering if it ever came to fruition. IDG(much of)AF about Pumpkins but I do like grand ridiculous album plans.

To me, Trent's plan seems actually like standard old-school NIN fare: if you consider the 3 EPs an album, then what he's talking about would basically be the usual follow-up remix album, wouldn't it?

Hm, maybe.

I love Further Down the Spiral, so I'm all good with that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I was thinking the same thing. If it's remixed and resequenced in an interesting way, I'm on board.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think it's ambiguous enough that it could be a Trump callout, or not.

Let's see if when he sings Capital G live he changes it to D.

Percy Teatwillow
Jan 9, 2006

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young

Back cover for Add Violence. Trent keeps saying there are clues hidden in the artwork and "EST TERMINATE EVENT - 2022" is a pretty loving huge Year Zero reference.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Percy Teatwillow posted:

Back cover for Add Violence. Trent keeps saying there are clues hidden in the artwork and "EST TERMINATE EVENT - 2022" is a pretty loving huge Year Zero reference.

Mentions Presence at the top too.

Maybe the TV show will finally come out, now Trent's an Oscar winner he can probably pull some more strings.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Trump seems way too easy not to be the basis of a year zero 2.0

Trent's never exactly been super nuanced when it comes to lyrics. This is way too obvious to pass up.

(I'm still down)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Also, wouldn't it be Capital T?

Edit: nope, I'm stupid, it was a first name thing. Welp.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, wouldn't it be Capital T?

Edit: nope, I'm stupid, it was a first name thing. Welp.

I thought it was actually "Greed", although I'm sure the fact that it could also stand for "George" wasn't lost on him.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Less Than seems like TR lashing out at the people that voted for Trump.

That's probably why it's ringing so hollow to me. As if, Ms. 'We Came, We Saw, He Died. Hehehe' wouldn't have had missile trails across the sky shortly after getting sworn in or that it's somehow lower/middle america's fault that they were presented with a terrible set of choices.

It's also crazy hypocritical coming from Mr. '1%, working at Apple, 4 kids, flipping mansions, hobnobbing in hollywood' Reznor. Where was this loving rage in 2008-2016?

(all that said, it isn't a bad song)
(also, combining eps into a single album is basically what he did for htda and that sucked so i'm not looking forward to the lp unless it's drastically reworked)

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
To a fault, Trent is a very successful gen x'er so it isn't that wierd that he leans "left" but it lacks any nuance that resonates with a current generation. The song is cool in a "I like NIN so I like this" way but imagine if this were the mans first single. That said I'll take what I can get cuz I grew up in the 90s and anyone else who did I HIGHLY RECOMMEND WATCHING The Defiant Ones on HBO. It's about the rise of Jimmy Iovine, the birth of Interscope, and covers everything from Pac to NIN to Manson (and very thoroughly) Dr. Dre. Reznor is throughout it and the score is entirely ambient NIN.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 18, 2017

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Call Me Charlie posted:

That's probably why it's ringing so hollow to me. As if, Ms. 'We Came, We Saw, He Died. Hehehe' wouldn't have had missile trails across the sky shortly after getting sworn in or that it's somehow lower/middle america's fault that they were presented with a terrible set of choices.

It's also crazy hypocritical coming from Mr. '1%, working at Apple, 4 kids, flipping mansions, hobnobbing in hollywood' Reznor. Where was this loving rage in 2008-2016?

(all that said, it isn't a bad song)
(also, combining eps into a single album is basically what he did for htda and that sucked so i'm not looking forward to the lp unless it's drastically reworked)
Hell yeah :argh::hf::mad:

I wonder if Uncle Al (or is he Grandpa Al nowadays) still has a good album in him. If that "only makes a good album under a Republican president" thing has any truth to it he couldn't ask for better conditions. Comedy option - they could reunite 1000 Homo DJs and make another single/EP. Can you imagine!?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Although I don't doubt TR has plenty of hypocritical political opinions, I think the partial vagueness of even his most political lyrics is his attempt to get outside himself a little bit and see a bigger picture. I'm sure he would have no problem with raging against Trump more directly, but feels it's more interesting and ultimately enduring to explore the human condition in general. That's not to say he won't someday perform the song in front of a giant picture of Trump, of course. But that doesn't restrict the song from ever being about someone else.

And if it makes you feel any better, the kind of people you described are by no means the ONLY people who voted for him. They are the majority of them, but there was undeniably a small-yet-vocal group who absolutely viewed Trump with an almost Messianic fervor, legitimately believing this guy was going to remove all corruption from Washington. And I suppose that happens every political cycle to a certain extent. You're free to imagine TR is only singing to them, if you want.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Trent is 52 guys

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Not to get too far down the political rabbit hole (I don't want this to turn into a D&D thread or anything), but there is no serious comparison you can make between Trump and an underwhelming, overly hawkish "establishment stooge" candidate (which is probably the most common negative view of Clinton's candidacy). If it rings hollow to you, that's fine, but there's definitely a reason to write politically-charged music inspired by likely the most bizarre campaign and candidate to seriously run for President in the US.

quote:

Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but I feel like I see more artists that I listen to releasing EPs or like, a third of an album as singles before it comes out than I have in the past. It's weird, and kinda lessens the fun of diving into an album for the first time when I've already heard four of the tracks. Streaming music has done weird things to the industry.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Trent is 52 guys

Man, I remember him and many others playing at Bowie's 50th birthday concert. That seemed like forever ago, wow.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Another new song, "This Isn't The Place"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g8nAqDu3gI

Reminds me of one of the slower, more brooding Niggy Tardust tracks.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Another new song, "This Isn't The Place"
https://youtu.be/_g8nAqDu3gI

Reminds me of one of the slower, more brooding Niggy Tardust tracks.

Another Year Zero reference with the Cedocore box at the bottom.

I like the song. Couldn't stand HM so I'm glad he's releasing stuff I like again.